closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Webbing nato strap

Webbing nato strap

After years of hankering over a a.f.0210. Webbing strap I came across a few pieces of old military webbing and a pilots helmet chin strap and decided to make my own.
    I've mutilated a few old NATO straps for the hardware as it's impossible to source the originals.
    These are work in progress and nether of the first two have been cut down yet.
    V1 has some cool markings and a part nsn number that adds too it.

V2 is it better condition.

I haven't started the chin strap one yet as it's filthy and I want too try and lighten the colour slightly.

I really could do with some vintage hardware if anyone could help I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks for looking Baden

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Looks cool, thanks for sharing. Can't help with the hardware sorry. I guess the webbing is quite thick,
    Is it comfortable?

Craftsman
    Baden,

I'm guessing some of that material is a tad hard/crusty? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want my old sweated through chin strap on my wrist - although if I had as lovely a '53 omega (?) I might give it a go.

Great idea though - I shall have a look through some old kit.

Great looking strap :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Like what you've done there. The markings in the webbing really adds an authenticity to the strap. Have you stitched them by hand or used a machine? Feel inspired to try something similar. Nice omega too.

Quote Originally Posted by ghu1967 View Post
    Like what you've done there. The markings in the webbing really adds an authenticity to the strap. Have you stitched them by hand or used a machine? Feel inspired to try something similar. Nice omega too.
    I hand stitched it and take my advice use a thimble I had a few accidents and a very sore finger for a few days.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Baden H View Post
    I hand stitched it and take my advice use a thimble I had a few accidents and a very sore finger for a few days.
    I don't think I've done any stitching since Home Economics class in Secondary school. I've inherited several thimbles from my mother though, so might just put them to use again. I see some blood in my future, although it may add something to the character of the webbing !

Nice one Baden!

Would it be cheeky of me to hijack your thread and post a link to some of mine on SC?

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...or-mil-watches

Ta!

Craftsman
    Wow, those are really nice -- I had not seen them before. They look really similar to the original ones.

there very comfy but sadly I can't seam to stop the end fraying? I've cut it down a few times, I've tried stitching them but still happens.
    I thought about a metal end piece but I don't think it will fit in between the body and the fixed bars.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Have you tried to burn the end piece with a lighter mite stop it from fraying. In the navy we would burn the ends of line or some mite call rope to stop the end from coming apart.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Baden H View Post
    there very comfy but sadly I can't seam to stop the end fraying? I've cut it down a few times, I've tried stitching them but still happens.
    I thought about a metal end piece but I don't think it will fit in between the body and the fixed bars.
    have you tried the application of some heavy wax? Melt it and drip it on, rub off the excess. Needs to be renewed from time to time.