closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Damasko

Damasko

In view of the other thread, what is the forums general opinion of Damasko watches?

I have a hankering for a DC66 but don't see many people with them.

As far as I can tell, there are only two places in the UK that sell them.

P&C and Damasko's seemingly lack of customer service aside, are they worth a punt?

Blog Entries
    Absolutely worth a punt.

I had a DA36 from SC - which I flipped ... & regretted.

Now I have a DA35 ... From Page & Cooper

They last very well due to the hardness of the case.

z

Had a 36 and a 47, both very good watches, nice finish.
    no experience of getting them serviced though....

Quote Originally Posted by Go Big View Post
    In view of the other thread, what is the forums general opinion of Damasko watches?

I have a hankering for a DC66 but don't see many people with them.

As far as I can tell, there are only two places in the UK that sell them.

P&C and Damasko's seemingly lack of customer service aside, are they worth a punt?
    Damasko only list P&C: www.damasko-watches.com/uk/concessionaires.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    True; there is nothing on the Jura website saying they are official agents.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Big View Post
    True; there is nothing on the Jura website saying they are official agents.
    Yes there is...

http://www.jurawatches.co.uk/blogs/w...ative-inventor

Cheaper than P&C too.
    Last edited by downer; 29th May 2016 at 15:02.

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    Yes there is...

http://www.jurawatches.co.uk/blogs/w...ative-inventor

Cheaper than P&C too.
    I saw that, but didn't read it as being an official announcement.

Good prices though.

Super watches.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Jura only starts stocking Damasko in August, until then they are just taking pre-orders

I don't find that they're particularly good-looking watches; they're just too ham-fisted in design. Personally, I much prefer what Sinn offers within that genre.

Master
    Damasko very tough watches, my DA46 came from P & C, don't expect to get it next day though.

Quote Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
    Damasko very tough watches, my DA46 came from P & C, don't expect to get it next day though.

^ looks a bit like the 'hunters special'
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Journeyman
    Very good watches. Wouldn't hesitate buying based on quality

Excellent quality watches. Had the full lume/white faced chrono (DC67?) but sold it due to the watch being too tall and therefore top heavy. Would certainly go for the all black '46 if I could get hold of one easily.

Just make sure you are happy with who/where you are buying it from ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I've got three Damaskos and I love them.

Absolutely love mine. Was hunting for a DA36 but after seeing this, I had to. Most functional watch I've ever owned, and one I've kept the longest so far without flipping.

We all know physically how tough they are - but design wise I definitely would disagree with calling it ham fisted. Its one of the only dials in this style, toughness, and price range that actually display all the numerals on the dial, and still display the date with a balanced looking dial. The fact that they haven't done the lazy "throw the date window at 4 o clock" avenue and put some effort into it kind of exemplifies the design decisions, for me.

I must admit to looking at Damasko much more than once in these last few months.
    Do they make a 38mm option ?

Master
    I am lucky to have the DC66 and DC67 and they are both fantastic watches. Both were bought off SC and have had several owners but both look completely as new and have excellent timekeeping standards.
    They always get comments when I wear them, more than any of my other watches.
    Anyone on the fence take the plunge you won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    I must admit to looking at Damasko much more than once in these last few months.
    They don't make anything small. The 3 series starts at 40mm iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Thanks and DANG !

Thanks and DANG !
    I know. Why these Krauts can't see that there is a market for a decent tool watch that's smaller than a manhole cover is beyond me.

I used to have a 36 and a 57 from back when Eddie sold them. Very nice watches and excellent quality. (They only went due to a financially driven downsizing of my watch numbers a few years back. I'd have another 36 any day.)
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    I used to have a 36 and a 57 from back when Eddie sold them. Very nice watches and excellent quality. (They only went due to a financially driven downsizing of my watch numbers a few years back. I'd have another 36 any day.)
    I'm still minding your DA36, Dave. Serial number 29. ;)

Regarding servicing, as it's an ETA 2836, I got it serviced by the local watchmaker no problem at all.

Journeyman
    Here is a fourth wishing they made a 38mm. Too big, too big, but I still have a 46 - need to change the strap..

Damn the black DA46 looks amazing.. should have thought of that! Next time, next time..

Thanks and DANG !

Quote Originally Posted by barneygumble View Post
    I'm still minding your DA36, Dave. Serial number 29. ;)
    I do miss that yellow seconds hand :-(
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    I do miss that yellow seconds hand :-(
    They do them in blue and green now as well :)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    If you buy from P & C they will ensure good customer service, as you will be dealing with them, rather than Damasco direct. Beautiful looking watches. One day!
    You obviously havnt seen the thread about p and cs service I take it?

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    I don't find that they're particularly good-looking watches; they're just too ham-fisted in design. Personally, I much prefer what Sinn offers within that genre.
    I know what you mean about the uncompromising utilitarian design, but I think that's part of their appeal. I think damasko have some advantages over their sinn counterparts. You're much less likey to see one ' in the wild' . They come from a small family firm.

I know what you mean about the uncompromising utilitarian design, but I think that's part of their appeal. I think damasko have some advantages over their sinn counterparts. You're much less likey to see one ' in the wild' . They come from a small family firm.
    I get it, but I just prefer to have my watches be less obviously personal-computer-drafted by someone without much visual design awareness. The off-the-rack Helvetica that Damasko uses, though infinitely preferable to the Arial that so many companies inflict on their stuff, is still extremely common and clichéd. It's a default-settings look that makes the watches seen a bit generic to me.

Sinn is definitely more clued-in when it comes to the visual elements — not that they're perfect. But they pay more attention to the details and show evidence of having someone with some design education within the company.

Besides, I've only spotted three Sinns in ten years; a 757 on a hike in Norway, a U1 at an oil company office, and a U2 on a goofy-looking tourist in Budapest.

I'm not saying that Damasko makes bad watches or anything, but I can't think of a single model I'd take over its Sinn equivalent if I was looking for another watch of this type. Regrets; I just find them too robotic and charmless.

Master

Besides, I've only spotted three Sinns in ten years; a 757 on a hike in Norway, a U1 at an oil company office, and a U2 on a goofy-looking tourist in Budapest.
    Out of interest, how many Damaskos have you spotted then? It could be inferred that you are suggesting that Sinn are less commonly seen than Damasko. In my experience this is certainly not the case. I would hazard a wild guess that there at least 10x as many Sinn out there as Damasko.

^
    Pleasure to oblige: the number is zero. There's no doubt that Damasko is even rarer to spot than Sinn; regrets if it seemed that I was implying otherwise.

All I'm saying that they're both extremely uncommonly-seen outside of the watch forum world. But I personally wouldn't base a buying decision on a brand's unpopularity among the general public. ;)

Funnily enough, I've also considered the Sinn 757, but think it may be slightly larger??

Journeyman
    Tend to agree as well. Looked at a Damesko and couple of Sinns at P&C - preferred the look of the Sinns, difficult to pin it down, seemed a bit more grown up.

I get it, but I just prefer to have my watches be less obviously personal-computer-drafted by someone without much visual design awareness. The off-the-rack Helvetica that Damasko uses, though infinitely preferable to the Arial that so many companies inflict on their stuff, is still extremely common and clichéd. It's a default-settings look that makes the watches seen a bit generic to me.

Sinn is definitely more clued-in when it comes to the visual elements — not that they're perfect. But they pay more attention to the details and show evidence of having someone with some design education within the company.

I'm not saying that Damasko makes bad watches or anything, but I can't think of a single model I'd take over its Sinn equivalent if I was looking for another watch of this type. Regrets; I just find them too robotic and charmless.
    I've only ever seen one sinn in the wild - never seen a damasko
    i know what you mean about the robotic lack of charm , but then they are the 'arnie' of watches.
    as far as looking across the whole range is concerned, all the damaskos look pretty much the same, whereas sinn produce an incredibly diverse range . their design is top notch - there is a hardly a duffer in there - yet they still all retain some of the 'house' feel . for years they were one of my favourite brands.
    i still like the idea though that with damasko you are getting something out of an atelier. you can tell its a pet project of an obsessive aircraft engineer, it has the sort of genuine brand heritage that other manufacturers, like the floppy eared puppy twins of bremont would gag for.
    Last edited by seikopath; 31st May 2016 at 13:53.

^
    Indeed, I'd sooner wear a Damasko than a Bremont. :)

Like I said, they're not bad by any means, I just somewhat prefer the style of Sinn's offerings when it comes to function-first, no-BS mechanical watches.

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    If you buy from P & C they will ensure good customer service, as you will be dealing with them, rather than Damasco direct.

?????
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    ^
    Indeed, I'd sooner wear a Damasko than a Bremont. :)

Like I said, they're not bad by any means, I just somewhat prefer the style of Sinn's offerings when it comes to function-first, no-BS mechanical watches.

I think it is hard to argue that Sinn are more function first than Damasko IMO. The stark big sans-serif arabic numbered dials that Damasko use on many models may have a faint whiff of the nursery school clock but by god they are functional. Likewise Sinn's surface hardening coating used on their higher end stuff maybe very clever but it isn't a patch on the Damasko ice hardened case which is of course standard on all their models. Sinn seem to recycle the same old aero idioms (much better than Breitling it must be said) whereas Damasko is something genuinely fresh to my eye at least with a utilitarian minimalism that appeals to me. Design wise, Sinn seem to look to the past for inspiration whereas Damasko are busy inventing the future ;-) Now there is some bs for you lol.

When I saw this ?dressy Damasko...

...I concluded that the reason their designs generally stick to one template is that they haven't really the ability to venture away from it. If you like the template, that's fine

Something that put me off the Sinn 556i was the realisation that the case was simply normal steel. That design in Damasko's materials would make me very very enthusiastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    I think it is hard to argue that Sinn are more function first than Damasko IMO. The stark big sans-serif arabic numbered dials that Damasko use on many models may have a faint whiff of the nursery school clock but by god they are functional. Likewise Sinn's surface hardening coating used on their higher end stuff maybe very clever but it isn't a patch on the Damasko ice hardened case which is of course standard on all their models. Sinn seem to recycle the same old aero idioms (much better than Breitling it must be said) whereas Damasko is something genuinely fresh to my eye at least with a utilitarian minimalism that appeals to me. Design wise, Sinn seem to look to the past for inspiration whereas Damasko are busy inventing the future ;-) Now there is some bs for you lol.
    I never said that Sinn is more functional, I said that they're better-looking. :)

I just don't find the use of Helvetica to be particularly fresh or creative in 2016. Personally, I strongly suspect that the design process chez Maison Damasko wasn't much more complicated than looking at an A-type B-Uhr — y'know, like the Luftwaffe used in the '30s and '40s — and then replicating the basic idea using MS Paint (or AutoCAD, to be generous). Mind you, they're certainly not the only ones to do so.

Trust me — this isn't generally seen as constituting groundbreaking design.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Obviously looks are subjective, but when you pick up a Damasko you really can feel the quality. They are very, very well made from the finest materials and feel indestructible - the perfect tool watch.

Damasko's black PVD coating (which they call Damest I think) simply does not rub off or chip like it would on most other marques- it's somehow bonded to the steel. I have two black Damaskos and they both look absolutely unmarked despite regular wear and lots of knocks.

I've had various Sinns and Damaskos over the years but my current collection contains three Damaskos but no Sinns. In fact I haven't flipped a watch for quite a while now and am happy with my three. (I did get a warm, fuzzy feeling reading that thread about the new white-faced, black-bezel Daytona though and I might have to pop into a Rolex dealer soon!).

Set aside what you may have heard about lack of customer service, poor communication etc - just find a way to get to handle a Damasko and then report back...

Master
    I see the utter lack of customer service 'give a s*it' as an extra hurdle to thin the herd and separate the wheat from the chat, so to speak. Damasko are worth it regardless!

Quote Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
    Obviously looks are subjective, but when you pick up a Damasko you really can feel the quality. They are very, very well made from the finest materials and feel indestructible - the perfect tool watch.

Damasko's black PVD coating (which they call Damest I think) simply does not rub off or chip like it would on most other marques- it's somehow bonded to the steel. I have two black Damaskos and they both look absolutely unmarked despite regular wear and lots of knocks.

I've had various Sinns and Damaskos over the years but my current collection contains three Damaskos but no Sinns. In fact I haven't flipped a watch for quite a while now and am happy with my three. (I did get a warm, fuzzy feeling reading that thread about the new white-faced, black-bezel Daytona though and I might have to pop into a Rolex dealer soon!).

Set aside what you may have heard about lack of customer service, poor communication etc - just find a way to get to handle a Damasko and then report back...
    Last edited by Padders; 31st May 2016 at 21:29.