closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Breitling Avenger Seawolf

Breitling Avenger Seawolf

Hi guys,

Just after some advise, I'm considering the above watch as a new daily, just thought I'd get some opinions on the 2nd gen model on offer. It's a watch that I've admired for a bit, detail level in pictures is amazing, and something I keep coming back to. My only worry is the height, but I do like slightly larger watches. Does anyone have experience? Is the movement good, I know not in house, but from what I've read Breitling modify it a lot.

As a new daily it will either be this, an Omega PO (although the different lume between the hour hand & minute, is a real bug bear, even the movement wise is technically better)

Cheers Brad
    Last edited by McBeardy; 21st June 2016 at 21:22.

Craftsman
    I was wearing mine again yesterday as it had been sitting in the watch box for a month or two.
    It really depends on your wrist size and tastes.
    I've got small wrists but strangely big forearms wrist just under 7inch, so can just about pull it off. If you have smaller wrists it can look ridiculous. I tried wearing it as a daily for a few months but to be honest could not live with it. The SS version is pretty heavy and the height meant I was always worried I'd knock it. It will not fit under a shirt sleeve unless your a magician/ wizard. I had thought about moving it on but to be honest when I wear it and look at it I appreciate the absolute tank that it is. The build quality is amazing and it just feels rugged. The movement has been bulletproof accuracy well with in cosc.
    Overall it's an awesome watch for the second hand money. Whether you could live with it as a daily is a different matter.

Too big in steel, certainly for me. In the original Ti though... With the yellow dial...

Oh yes.

Master
    It's a big watch and was manageable in Ti but I couldn't do it in steel. Way too much weight I would imagine. My wrists are 6.75" and in the end, I moved it on as it was too big.

Amazed that people are saying the thing is too heavy. Must be very slightly built and/or weak

Anyway, yes, they are quite tall but I have never had an issue with knocking it on things. No way it will fit under a regular shirt cuff though. I mainly wear mine with casual clothes and always short sleeved tops. Couldn't have it as an 'only watch'. The movement is a chronometer grade ETA, Breitling don't do anything to it at all - same with all companies despite what you will read on the net. Mine's the earlier version but the case is identical dimensions. Pictured here on a 7" wrsit:

Ian

Master
    It's 18mm thick, so does sit very high on the wrist. I had one once, & although I loved the look, on the bracelet it was noticeably heavy whilst wearing for the whole time. In spite of the fact that I like a watch to have a bit of 'heft', if I were to have another, it would go on a ProII or III with deployant & I'd ditch the bracelet, so taking the sting out of its weight & chunkiness. The watch is bombproof though & has lots of wrist presence.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix View Post
    The movement is a chronometer grade ETA, Breitling don't do anything to it at all - same with all companies despite what you will read on the net.
    Ian
    It appears Breitling do a few things to make it a very accurate COSC rated movement:

http://www.donindiano.net/watches/br...n/b17_movement

Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix View Post
    Amazed that people are saying the thing is too heavy. Must be very slightly built and/or weak

Anyway, yes, they are quite tall but I have never had an issue with knocking it on things. No way it will fit under a regular shirt cuff though. I mainly wear mine with casual clothes and always short sleeved tops. Couldn't have it as an 'only watch'. The movement is a chronometer grade ETA, Breitling don't do anything to it at all - same with all companies despite what you will read on the net. Mine's the earlier version but the case is identical dimensions. Pictured here on a 7" wrsit:

Ian
    Thanks Ian, I currently wear my U Boat classico which is 45mm but around 16mm thick, so I doubt that extra thickness will be an issue.

I also hardly long sleeve tops on only in the winter, so that isn't an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeb1 View Post
    I was wearing mine again yesterday as it had been sitting in the watch box for a month or two.
    It really depends on your wrist size and tastes.
    I've got small wrists but strangely big forearms wrist just under 7inch, so can just about pull it off. If you have smaller wrists it can look ridiculous. I tried wearing it as a daily for a few months but to be honest could not live with it. The SS version is pretty heavy and the height meant I was always worried I'd knock it. It will not fit under a shirt sleeve unless your a magician/ wizard. I had thought about moving it on but to be honest when I wear it and look at it I appreciate the absolute tank that it is. The build quality is amazing and it just feels rugged. The movement has been bulletproof accuracy well with in cosc.
    Overall it's an awesome watch for the second hand money. Whether you could live with it as a daily is a different matter.
    Thanks mine are around 6.75inches when not marathon training so think the size could be ok. For once a watch I like on the bracelet, and other straps.

I think other than the Navitimer , it is one of the Breitling's best.
    The SS version on bracelet definitely has the heft and the height but if you are able to deal with it, it is a great watch to wear with non formal ensemble. I think rubber is definitely a great idea but if you have to have it on a bracelet, it is over a half a lb in weight.

Craftsman
    I found mine just too clunky on the bracelet, although both the ProII and ProIII are extremely comfortable in their own right.

What I really love about Breitlings is you can swap between leather, rubber, or bracelet and they just suit pretty much any strap.

I've had both a Ti and Stainless version and both have kept time with ~10 seconds per week so I've got no complaints about the movement. Much prefer the stencil dial models myself,Mather than batons.

I have a 2nd generation Seawolf in steel, on the steel bracelet, yellow Arabic (stencilled) dial. It's an absolutely fantastic watch, I have been known to wear it with a suit although if you have tight-ish shirt cuffs it's true that it won't fit.

It's not my only watch by a long shot but it's perfectly comfortable to wear.

The comment about rubber is also true - I also have an Avenger Skyland (same dimensions) which is on the Breitling Pro I rubber strap and I'd be perfectly happy to have that as my daily wearer...

As the owner of both a Seawolf and a Navitimer I agree with Raj... without a doubt two of Breitling's finest.

I really think you should go for it (but not with batons!).

Here's a gratuitous photo...

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I have a 2nd generation Seawolf in steel, on the steel bracelet, yellow Arabic (stencilled) dial. It's an absolutely fantastic watch, I have been known to wear it with a suit although if you have tight-ish shirt cuffs it's true that it won't fit.

It's not my only watch by a long shot but it's perfectly comfortable to wear.

The comment about rubber is also true - I also have an Avenger Skyland (same dimensions) which is on the Breitling Pro I rubber strap and I'd be perfectly happy to have that as my daily wearer...

As the owner of both a Seawolf and a Navitimer I agree with Raj... without a doubt two of Breitling's finest.

I really think you should go for it (but not with batons!).

Here's a gratuitous photo...

Simon
    Thanks Simon,

Yes with the arabic numbers is my preferred one.

Is the lume good? I'm not expecting Seiko quality by the way.

Lastly my dad has a Chronomat which has a lovely rotor wobble sound, does the Seawolf have this?

Apologies for the overload of questions.

Think the Panerai may have to wait a while, and see if I can pick one up for a good price.
    Last edited by McBeardy; 21st June 2016 at 21:42.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post

Is the lume good? I'm not expecting Seiko quality by the way.
    To be honest I'm a little disappointed with the lume on mine, I considered getting it relumed. Its not what I expected from a serious dive watch. I have the first gen ss from 2012.

Craftsman
    I have the new version with mustard dial on SS but also purchased a rubber strap with pin buckle at point of purchase.

I agree with all the comments above and absolutely love the watch. You won't be disappointed. I'll just mention that with a cracking discount from AMJ watches in Newark having a brand spanker isn't too far from used. Mine was my 40th birthday present from my wife so new was the only option really.

Last edited by forest172; 21st June 2016 at 22:32.

Quote Originally Posted by forest172 View Post
    I have the new version with mustard dial on SS but also purchased a rubber strap with pin buckle at point of purchase.

I agree with all the comments above and absolutely love the watch. You won't be disappointed. I'll just mention that with a cracking discount from AMJ watches in Newark having a brand spanker isn't too far from from used. Mine was my 40th birthday present from my wife so new was the only option really.
    Hows the lume on the new version?

Craftsman

Cool

Hows the lume on the new version?
    Just for you. Looks ok to me

Thanks Simon, Yes with the arabic numbers is my preferred one. Is the lume good? I'm not expecting Seiko quality by the way. Lastly my dad has a Chronomat which has a lovely rotor wobble sound, does the Seawolf have this? Apologies for the overload of questions. Think the Panerai may have to wait a while, and see if I can pick one up for a good price.
    Just come back to this thread and realised that I've been asked some questions!

So...

I think the lume is good, although nothing has ever compared favourably with my old Seiko Sawtooth!

No rotor wobble - a classic Valjoux trait not present in the Seawolf. My Navitimer in contrast wobbles to a hilarious extent!

We appear to be on parallel trajectories... having secured my current 4 Breitlings I'm now saving up to buy a Panerai!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by forest172 View Post
    Just for you. Looks ok to me

Thanks, after 2 years with no lume on the U Boat and dying lume on the Arnie, I've realised I missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Just come back to this thread and realised that I've been asked some questions!

So...

I think the lume is good, although nothing has ever compared favourably with my old Seiko Sawtooth!

No rotor wobble - a classic Valjoux trait not present in the Seawolf. My Navitimer in contrast wobbles to a hilarious extent!

We appear to be on parallel trajectories... having secured my current 4 Breitlings I'm now saving up to buy a Panerai!

Simon
    Seems that way Simon, think the missis will just about go for the Breitling & I've seem some good deals lately.

I really want the 372 Pam and she knows this, she also knows the RRP and I cannot get away with that one yet.

Shame on the wobble I do love that charming sound on my dads one.

Good luck on the Panerai.

Thanks for the reply also.

Brad
    Last edited by McBeardy; 22nd June 2016 at 18:09.

Just checked out amj watches, same price as Goldsmiths at £3200, interest free at Goldsmiths too.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    Just checked out amj watches, same price as Goldsmiths at £3200, interest free at Goldsmiths too.
    No mate phone and chat to them. I paid way way less and got the rubber too

They're on whatsapp too. That's how I got taking about a rolex hulk they had in preowned. Next minute I was in the car to collect it
    Last edited by forest172; 22nd June 2016 at 20:39.

Walking around Bluewater tonight I'd have another true & look at the Seawolfs. They didn't have the black dial with Arabic numbers in only batons. But they did have the yellow with Arabic, I must say I think it's the one I want. Even my other half likes it more. Seems more subtle in the flesh, the staff were helpful and bought over the SuperOcean leather/ rubber strap which goes with it, think it's the one!

On another note they were telling me on Sunday how they also had a smash & grab in the early hours of the morning as well. Few watches were taken apparently.

Craftsman
    Walking around Bluewater tonight I'd have another true & look at the Seawolfs. They didn't have the black dial with Arabic numbers in only batons. But they did have the yellow with Arabic, I must say I think it's the one I want. Even my other half likes it more. Seems more subtle in the flesh, the staff were helpful and bought over the SuperOcean leather/ rubber strap which goes with it, think it's the one!

On another note they were telling me on Sunday how they also had a smash & grab in the early hours of the morning as well. Few watches were taken apparently.
    Exactly what I thought when I tried them on in the flesh. It has to be yellow!! Also a dark grey face too with stencil numbers. But I never see that anywhere.

You tried amj for price yet? Did they offer you a deal?