closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Precious Metal Watches

Blog Entries
    Here is my YG Patek before it went in for service this year. I have worn it on and off for 8 years and had picked up a few scratches / marks that only add character and make it my own. As far as weight goes it is notably heavier than an equally sized steel watch - just by picking it up you can tell the difference. Not notable on wearing though

Master
    I've been wearing a white gold Day-Date, from new, for several months. Can't say I take any special care, but it seems just fine to me. Not that I care a great deal; watches are for wearing. If wearing gold worried me, I'd stick to steel.
    In truth, the most easily marked Rolex for me was a Milgauss GV; that smooth bezel seemed a scratch magnet.

For many years I wore a PM piece fitted to a bracelet, and became conscious of catching the bracelet on different surfaces.

Eventually, I moved away from watches fitted on a bracelet and went to those fitted on a strap.

Now I don't worry so much :)

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    I’ve tried to take some today, with poor results.

It’s the clasp mainly. No more than a steel watch, plus a scuff

Like I’ve said, I live a normal life and not concerned over wear and tear. I really am enjoying the watch and my biggest satisfaction is timekeeping - I can’t live with a slow watch and this is under a second a day fast, so happy. I’m also fairly sad, excited to see the month marker change at the end of the month...
    No worries, i just wanted to see more pictures Really love this piece, glad your enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Both wore gold Rolex daydates to work, every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    I am sure their watches looked like they did too.
    Given your confidence in how a Rolex with gold would look after a bit of regular usage, I expect you could come up with an informed guess as to how many days this had been continually worn - and how many dives it has been on?

R
    Last edited by ralphy; 28th May 2016 at 22:33.
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Given your confidence in how a Rolex with gold would look after a bit of regular usage, I expect you could come up with an informed guess as to how many days this had been continually worn - and how many dives it has been on?
    Not sure, but it is pretty worn out...

Master
    Meanwhile, back on planet earth, a light polish would bring that sub back to almost like new.

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    Meanwhile, back on planet earth, a light polish would bring that sub back to almost like new.
    He's on planet troll don't forget...

I didn't expect you to be sure, just a guess: but in view of your opinion of the condition I don't think you're likely to be remotely close.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Nonsense.

Since gold is easier to scratch, presumably this means that it is easier to polish - does that mean the metal can take a greater number of polishes before its shape is visibly altered?

With gold you can make the surface flow so scratches can be burnished out without taking much metal away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha! You guys can't just resist feedin:-)
    GrandS, are you happy?

In fairness its pretty scuffed up - especially on the gold bits but I wouldn't say it was "worn out" - its still recognisable.
    As said, a polish would help, but it looks like its already had a few - the crown on the clasp is very worn.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    In fairness its pretty scuffed up - especially on the gold bits but I wouldn't say it was "worn out" - its still recognisable.
    As said, a polish would help, but it looks like its already had a few - the crown on the clasp is very worn.
    Its not that bad, I've had a 5513, where they virtually polished the crown off the fupping thing!
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Its not that bad, I've had a 5513, where they virtually polished the crown off the fupping thing!
    Let it be known that l certainly wasn't having a dig. Good to see a watch not being babied.

It's a watch not an ornament.

And I say that as someone who hates marking his watches but ultimately comes to love the 'worn-in' and enjoyed look of watches/jewellery. It is character and what makes it the piece yours and not 'stock'.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dent99 View Post
    It's a watch not an ornament
    I’d love to agree, but it is.

Telling the time is a part of a watch for sure, but the aesthetics are why I would say 95% of buyers buy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    its still recognisable.
    Yes, looks heavily worn, but that is fine, watches are meant to be worn. However, I don't really see the point of using a gold watch like that. Stainless steel would be more fit for purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    I’d love to agree, but it is.

Telling the time is a part of a watch for sure, but the aesthetics are why I would say 95% of buyers buy.
    Oh I totally get it, and I am not ashamed to say the aesthetics always come first for me.

But you know what I'm driving at - it lives on your wrist, not in a case on a shelf. We're talking about subjecting it to real world conditions, not Baselworld.

Stainless steel would be more fit for purpose.
    The watch is perfectly fit for purpose as it is.

R

Master
    Yes, looks heavily worn, but that is fine, watches are meant to be worn. However, I don't really see the point of using a gold watch like that. Stainless steel would be more fit for purpose.
    Wrong again. You've obviously never seen a watch that's heavily worn. No wonder though, noone keeps their Seikos long enough for them to ever get "heavily worn", unlike Rolex owners.

At a push the watch looks moderately worn. And most of it is actually stainless steel, if you'd care to use your brain for more than a second at a time.

Banned
    Fine, it's nonsense!, not worn at all!, completely normal, seen much worse, gold watches are perfect for scraping along an ocean bottom! blah blah blah...

Fine, it's nonsense!, not worn at all!, completely normal, seen much worse, gold watches are perfect for scraping along an ocean bottom! blah blah blah...
    The only ‘nonsense’ here that I can see is your belief that it looks ‘pretty worn out'.

It’s certainly worn. The clasp was subjected to hard abrasion in a non-diving incident and the resultant damage was a major contributor to the coronet appearance - as it was to the stainless steel links on either side of the bracelet.

However, the wear evidenced on the watch is commensurate with the amount of use it has seen. It was worn 24/7 for over a decade, underwent 2,000+ dives and experienced plenty of harsh environments. Admittedly, it was never scraped along the bottom of an ocean floor though...

Yes, I have seen much worse on dive watches, this one however had a service and polish prior to its sale and it looked pretty good afterwards. The subsequent owner seems to agree with that too: he paid £100 less than I had when I bought it pre-owned.

Eight years on now and he wears it daily and regularly dives with it. I have an agreement with him that I will get first refusal should he decide to sell, which I would probably do, give it another service and carry on using it underwater.

As you say, watches are meant to be worn. ;-)

R

Banned
    Thanks for your excellent answer, ralphy and your fine example to other posters here. You have more class in your little finger than many of them have in their whole bodies.
    Last edited by GrandS; 30th May 2016 at 18:19.

Why is everybody continuing to feed the troll? You guys got thousands of posts, how come you keep falling into one of the most basic forum traps?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Re: You have more class in your little finger than many of them have in their whole bodies.

GrandS, just like a broken watch tells the correct time twice a day, you occasionally make sense!