closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Page and Cooper – Damasko servicing – A warning

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    New here, son?

Quote Originally Posted by groyn View Post
    6,000+ views and 140+ posts in 2 days. P & C are certainly getting a lot of attention. Shame for them it's not the right sort. Or is it shame on them?
    The numbers are not a proof of anything but the fact that most people like to watch a car crash or a train get wrecked.
    It is a very small fraction of the forum generating the views and the posts, forget the general population. Does it make a difference to P & C? I very much doubt it. But, having had the oppurtunity to see how their missteps create a negative impact on their reputation, I hope they take an oppurtunity to rectify their practices, beginning with taking care of the OP. Which is what a responsible business would do. I have zero interest in piling on P & C. I don't want to see them grovel or make a public apology. Doesn't make me feel more powerful or self-righteous. However, they would be well advised to reach out to OP and take steps to avoid recurrence of similar events.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    The numbers are not a proof of anything but the fact that most people like to watch a car crash or a train get wrecked.
    It is a very small fraction of the forum generating the views and the posts, forget the general population. Does it make a difference to P & C? I very much doubt it. But, having had the oppurtunity to see how their missteps create a negative impact on their reputation, I hope they take an oppurtunity to rectify their practices, beginning with taking care of the OP. Which is what a responsible business would do. I have zero interest in piling on P & C. I don't want to see them grovel or make a public apology. Doesn't make me feel more powerful or self-righteous. However, they would be well advised to reach out to OP and take steps to avoid recurrence of similar events.
    But, but, but they charge more because of their superior customer service (or so they say).
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

New here, son?
    No. And I'm not condescending either.

Craftsman
    I agree with you that the numbers are but a fraction of a niche in the general population, but since Busy Bee is a member here, one hopes that he might realise now from this ongoing thread that he could have handled things differently. The manner of his response here has fuelled the thread rather than resolved matters. While his offer to take phone calls directly sounds good in "public", in real life where were the responses to the OP's repeated emails, all of which were cc'd to him?

I've heard nothing from Damasko so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I've heard nothing from Damasko so far.
    You did mention that they only reply Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday plus it's bank holiday perhaps that's the reason?

Master
    I wasn't aware it was also a German bank holiday weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    You did mention that they only reply Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday plus it's bank holiday perhaps that's the reason?
    It's Page and Cooper that only do a three-day week.

Master
    Every company gets complaints like this, every single company, without fail. Because service can always fall short on occasions...
    It shouldn't happen, but it can, and does. The OP knew what the service cost , Page and Cooper honoured the estimate. yet he attacks them repeatedly for a cost he accepted beforehand. The watch was returned after nine-weeks. He was unhappy about a hair (quite rightly) but that was fixed in about ten working days, some of which will be postal delays. In all the whole affair took three months, which is less than many service periods for watches such as IWC, JLC , Patek and so on.
    By his own description, the service was a decent job,; so what does all this fuss boil-down to? A somewhat slow service (all too common in the watch business, as everyone reading this knows) and poor communication...again, a sadly routine issue..These issues certainly are not unique to Page and Cooper.
    The latest is that the OP is now criticising Damasko because they haven't jumped to attention when he sends them an e-mail. What's more, he casually mentions that Damasco had answered the same question from him years ago! Does the world exist to feed his every request, at the pace he prefers?
    Sadly, it doesn't, and never will.
    Last edited by paskinner; 29th May 2016 at 14:04.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    By his own description, the service was a decent job
    No warranty details, no paperwork, no nice packaging – just my watch in a cardboard box, along with a little plastic bag containing the old O rings and – you guessed it – my old crown and pushers!

This time all seems okay, albeit the watch runs over +5 secs/day. As everyone knows, a 7750 is far capable of better.

I had to ask yet again for warranty paperwork. I eventually received something over email.
    Spectacular misrepresentation.

It's Page and Cooper that only do a three-day week.
    Sorry I misunderstood, I thought you were still dealing with P&C not Damasko direct.

Every company gets complaints like this, every single company, without fail. Because service can always fall short on occasions...

so what does all this fuss boil-down to? A somewhat slow service (all too common in the watch business, as everyone reading this knows) and poor communication...again, a sadly routine issue..These issues certainly are not unique to Page and Cooper.
    Lack of paperwork, hair in watch.....

Why are you trying to defend the indefensible?

Master
    Doesn't surprise me. I emailed P&C about an additional link for my Sinn 903 and never had a reply; Jura were helpful.

Master
    It shouldn't happen, but it can, and does. The OP knew what the service cost , Page and Cooper honoured the estimate. yet he attacks them repeatedly for a cost he accepted beforehand. The watch was returned after nine-weeks. He was unhappy about a hair (quite rightly) but that was fixed in about ten working days, some of which will be postal delays. In all the whole affair took three months, which is less than many service periods for watches such as IWC, JLC , Patek and so on.
    By his own description, the service was a decent job,; so what does all this fuss boil-down to? A somewhat slow service (all too common in the watch business, as everyone reading this knows) and poor communication...again, a sadly routine issue..These issues certainly are not unique to Page and Cooper.
    The latest is that the OP is now criticising Damasko because they haven't jumped to attention when he sends them an e-mail. What's more, he casually mentions that Damasco had answered the same question from him years ago! Does the world exist to feed his every request, at the pace he prefers?
    You are incorrect dunno why u are trying to defend. I bought a brand new JLC from an AD after 3 days it turned out the date disk was stuck at 26 and didn't forward. They sent me a brand new watch after collecting it, sorted in just over 1 week.

I had a panerai where the timing was abit off. Took it to the store, after 2 weeks came back spot on.

In both cases there was full communication, apology, documentation, and satisfying solution.

Hair in the watch, not communicating promptly, lack of documentation, these are just simple things to fix and yet they didn't!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The latest is that the OP is now criticising Damasko because they haven't jumped to attention
    A few people had mentioned that I should make Damasko aware of my original post to see if they had a response. (If it were my company I'd certainly like to know its name was being tarnished by this association with its AD.)

I did. They obviously don't.

I said I'd report back after being in touch with them. I have.

Hardly a criticism of anyone.

Silly boy.
    Last edited by Tony; 29th May 2016 at 15:22.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    You are incorrect dunno why u are trying to defend. I bought a brand new JLC from an AD after 3 days it turned out the date disk was stuck at 26 and didn't forward. They sent me a brand new watch after collecting it, sorted in just over 1 week.

I had a panerai where the timing was abit off. Took it to the store, after 2 weeks came back spot on.

In both cases there was full communication, apology, documentation, and satisfying solution.

Hair in the watch, not communicating promptly, lack of documentation, these are just simple things to fix and yet they didn't!

While I am not completely with Paskinner and do agree that the story suggests a lot of shortcomings on P & C's part, there are multiple stories about poor experience with Richemont. I am glad you posted your positive experiences with Richemont. The problem is bad experiences get reported far,far more often and a perception is created of widespread failings which is sometimes justified and sometimes not.
    I don't mind reading these experiences but rarely let them dictate my opinion or buying/ servicing decisions unless there is OVERHWELMING evidence. I don't need to carry a pail for anyone but passing summary judgements and castigating or ganging up on an individual or a company somehow doesn't make my life better or make me feel any superior.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 29th May 2016 at 15:14.

I appreciate that we make up a tiny % of watch buyers out there but surely a commercial reputation is worth so much more than the cost of sorting this out? Even if P&C now do so, it's such a shame that it takes a public 'outing' on a watch forum to get some companies to do what they should have done in the first place. I have never dealt with P&C nor communicated with them and the likelihood is that I will now never do so. Furthermore, whilst I'm a big fan of Damasko, there's no excuse for abdicating all responsibility for customer care at the retail end.

Quote Originally Posted by dejjl View Post
    I appreciate that we make up a tiny % of watch buyers out there but surely a commercial reputation is worth so much more than the cost of sorting this out? Even if P&C now do so, it's such a shame that it takes a public 'outing' on a watch forum to get some companies to do what they should have done in the first place. I have never dealt with P&C nor communicated with them and the likelihood is that I will now never do so. Furthermore, whilst I'm a big fan of Damasko, there's no excuse for abdicating all responsibility for customer care at the retail end.
    'most people' only buy a new watch once or twice in their lives . I think it's fairly safe to say we have quite a high proportion of repeat offenders on here ;)
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Deleted.
    Last edited by Dave I; 29th May 2016 at 16:00.

Craftsman
    With 8200 viewings of this thread, you can be sure Page & Cooper have lost a fair few watch sales. Most people can put up with an awful lot of bad news, providing they are kept informed. Seems to me P & C's biggest failing here is their complete lack of communication, which they failed to acknowlege.

FWIW I've heard many times more recently that Damasko's customer service from the factory is way better than it used to be and the poor reputation they had from about 8 years ago is no longer the norm.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by ROBANNENAGY View Post
    I've heard many times more recently that Damasko's customer service from the factory is way better than it used to be and the poor reputation they had from about 8 years ago is no longer the norm.
    That's good to know.

I appreciate that we make up a tiny % of watch buyers out there
    Whilst this is undoubtedly the case in respect of watches in general, I would have thought that this forum would have a more substantial impact on sales of the type of brands P&C actually sell. The likes of Damasko etc enjoy little brand awareness amongst the general watch-buying public and a reasonable proportion of sales must be generated from those in the know because they frequent this place (or other watch fora) or have received recommendations for those that do. Richemont are never going to suffer from a slagging on here. It seems to me that P&C and their niche brands are more at risk.

I appreciate that we make up a tiny % of watch buyers out there
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    Whilst this is undoubtedly the case in respect of watches in general, I would have thought that this forum would have a more substantial impact on sales of the type of brands P&C actually sell. The likes of Damasko etc enjoy little brand awareness amongst the general watch-buying public and a reasonable proportion of sales must be generated from those in the know because they frequent this place (or other watch fora) or have received recommendations for those that do. Richemont are never going to suffer from a slagging on here. It seems to me that P&C and their niche brands are more at risk.
    I agree with this.
    F.T.F.A.

Although not many people populate forums, the threads produced on them do appear high on searches. For example, when a random punter searches simply for "Page and Cooper" the fifth result Google gives them is a thread on the CW Forum asking for general opinions on Page and Cooper.

I can't imagine many non-wis spending thousands (or even hundreds) on a Sinn, Damasko or Hanhart - even a Marathon - without doing a bit of googling first. After all, why buy a watch you can't see in the flesh unless you're very into your watches. And a lot of the fun is in the chase, reading reviews etc. If you're a company selling Seiko, Citizen and Casio I don't imagine a slating will do much harm, but I imagine P&C's customers are at the more esoteric wis end if the spectrum?

It looks like these clowns have decided to add insult to injury, rather than try to make amends.

They'd agreed to refund the postage I had to pay to return the watch to them to have the hair removed from the dial.

Having given them my bank details they'd agreed to refund the money by the end of last week. They haven't, and I really can't be bothered to contact them again.

I wonder if I've upset them?
    Last edited by Tony; 2nd June 2016 at 10:42.

Quote Originally Posted by jbbusybee View Post
    I will defend absolutely our level of standards and technical knowledge and also the way we treat not only our customers but our staff.
    They'd agreed to refund the postage I had to pay to return the watch to them to have the hair removed from the dial.

Having given them my bank details they'd agreed to refund the money by the end of last week. They haven't
    Says it all, really.

Poor customer service is really inexcusable, especially when things go wrong. Just a simple show of care when there are mistakes made can go such a long way, but it is much more common these days to find the customer being blamed instead of a simple acceptance of responsibility and a promise to rectify it. The norm seems to be to deflect and close ranks. I am not really certain that is a good long term way to operate.

Having experienced similar issues with two unrelated businesses last month, I can only conclude that customer service is becoming a forgotten art. In the age when retail specifically seems to be struggling, it seems bonkers.

A couple of weeks ago, a mechanic lost £3000 of warranty work on my car through simply being rude to me by telling me that it was somehow my fault that the car I had just bought was having faults. The garage I then took the car to couldn't thank me enough for the work, fixed the faults, and will retain my custom for years to come.

Craftsman
    It looks like these clowns have decided to add insult to injury, rather than try to make amends.

Having given them my bank details they'd agreed to refund the money by the end of last week. They haven't, and I really can't be bothered to contact them again.

I wonder if I've upset them?
    Sorry to hear this, but I guess not really surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by jbbusybee View Post
    Thank you to the kind and loyal friends and customers who alerted me to this thread and Tony’s comments.
    Far fewer now, I would've thought.

In this case, some mistakes were made,
    and continue to be made, it would seem.

however we are always reviewing our service procedure and every effort is being made to improve.
    Not evident from Tony's latest update

We will be taking you behind the scenes of our servicing process on our YouTube channel, so everyone can be sure what they’re signing up for when you service your watch with us.
    Or just read this thread

Master
    I still think 'Tony' would have got further by talking quietly to the manager of the company , not using the internet with a thread titled as a 'warning'... referring to the staff as 'clowns' who 'add insult to injury' and putting a harsh spin on every occurrence.
    Trying to publicly shame a company is not the way to get what you want. Politeness and a chat with the people in charge is far more effective than calling them 'clowns' and gleefully adding, 'I wonder if I upset them.'
    P and C may have got this wrong, but they were never rude and contemptuous. Can 'Tony' say the same?
    Last edited by paskinner; 2nd June 2016 at 18:59.

I still think 'Tony' would have got further by talking quietly to the manager of the company about all hisconcerns, not using the internet with a thread titled as a 'warning'...he has continued in the same manner, referring to the staff as 'clowns' who 'add insult to injury' and putting a harsh spin on every occurrence. He clearly wishes to inflict damage.

Trying to publicly shame a company....which is how this thread reads to me.... is not the way to get what you want. Politeness and a chat with the people in charge is far more effective than calling them 'clowns' and gleefully adding, 'I wonder if I upset them.'
    I think you're judging him by your own low standards: he wasn't doing this as a way of applying pressure, but as a public service to his fellow watch enthusiasts after he had reached the end of the road and the end of his tether.
    Last edited by Der Amf; 2nd June 2016 at 19:11.

I'd say repeatedly ignoring Tony's emails would be perfectly described as 'rude and contemptuous'.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I think you're judging him by your own low standards: he wasn't doing this as a way of applying pressure, but as a public service to his fellow watch enthusiasts after he had reached the end of the road and the end of his tether.
    This.
    "Word of mouth" recommendations (or not) have always been a large part of how a business's reputation is made (or not). Internet fora constitute the modern "word of mouth".

I still think 'Tony' would have got further by talking quietly to the manager of the company , not using the internet with a thread titled as a 'warning'... referring to the staff as 'clowns' who 'add insult to injury' and putting a harsh spin on every occurrence.
    Trying to publicly shame a company is not the way to get what you want. Politeness and a chat with the people in charge is far more effective than calling them 'clowns' and gleefully adding, 'I wonder if I upset them.'
    P and C may have got this wrong, but they were never rude and contemptuous. Can 'Tony' say the same?
    For goodness sake he is a customer! He has paid good money for a service that has not been up to standard, he has waited patiently and it has still not been up to standard, he has already been in touch with them and that hasn't worked hence the thread. Sorry if you expect people to fork out £300 odd quid and then go cap in hand "all quiet and humble like" so as not to upset the company just to get what they paid for.

And as for rude and contemptuous, how about their comment about valuing their customers then not bothering to actually follow that up?

- - - Updated - - -

For goodness sake he is a customer! He has paid good money for a service that has not been up to standard, he has waited patiently and it has still not been up to standard, he has already been in touch with them and that hasn't worked hence the thread. Sorry if you expect people to fork out £300 odd quid and then go cap in hand "all quiet and humble like" so as not to upset the company just to get what they paid for.

And as for rude and contemptuous, how about their comment about valuing their customers then not bothering to actually follow that up?

they were never rude and contemptuous
    You either didn't read the thread or are describing a fantasy world that doesn't exist.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Arent you the chap who's first entry to the forum was the intention of taking watchfinder to court for disappointing you and not jumping to attention when you emailed?

Didnt you take it up with lawyers before actually speaking to them?

Didnt they end up paying you to go away?

Wasnt your fuss because you'd bought an unworn watch that was manufactured before you thought it was?

Wasn't your temper tantrum because the world didn't feed your requests at the pace you preferred?

Is it you that makes a habit out of hounding your ever patient AD after building up a potted history of trashing your toys and demanding new ones?

Dealer botherer level: expert.

Do tell us again how the OP is being unreasonable. We're all DYING to know.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Snap....foreskinner has been served.

^^^ I think there were several scenarios where he complained.

A JLC was one (vowed to never buy a JLC again), a Rolex NOS or not NOS was another, yet another with watchfinder and a Patek they would or wouldn't sell him, and finally 3 broken Rolex Date-Justs; which may or may not be an ongoing saga with his local AD or Rolex where he sent the first one that broke and proceeded to whinge like mad to all the world.

Those are the just ones I remember.

I certainly don't agree with Paskinner and am sympathetic to OP.
    But, am a little fatigued by the taking to the Internet and watch fora with the tales of poor service.
    Sure, it serves a purpose - the aggrieved party gets a chance to vent to sympathetic ears, gets a sense of retribution by calling out the guilty parties and more importantly warning others.
    Having said that there is a certain sense of sympathy fatigue on my part.

As they say in showbusiness, this one will run and run!

Craftsman
    I certainly don't agree with Paskinner and am sympathetic to OP.
    But, am a little fatigued by the taking to the Internet and watch fora with the tales of poor service.
    Sure, it serves a purpose - the aggrieved party gets a chance to vent to sympathetic ears, gets a sense of retribution by calling out the guilty parties and more importantly warning others.
    Having said that there is a certain sense of sympathy fatigue on my part.
    Sometimes for helpful general advice too. At least, one post has informed that direct service from Damasko is apparently now better than it used to be. No help to the OP now, but good for future reference.

As they say in showbusiness, this one will run and run!
    But unfortunately not the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Arent you the chap who's first entry to the forum was the intention of taking watchfinder to court for disappointing you and not jumping to attention when you emailed?

Didnt you take it up with lawyers before actually speaking to them?

Didnt they end up paying you to go away?

Wasnt your fuss because you'd bought an unworn watch that was manufactured before you thought it was?

Wasn't your temper tantrum because the world didn't feed your requests at the pace you preferred?

Is it you that makes a habit out of hounding your ever patient AD after building up a potted history of trashing your toys and demanding new ones?

Dealer botherer level: expert.

Do tell us again how the OP is being unreasonable. We're all DYING to know.
    Now that is how to own someone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by scottbombedout View Post
    Now that is how to own someone.
    This is getting out of control...

Master
    Blog Entries
    1. Not true. One of the few times I used Twitter was to prod Vodafone into investigating a false account in a friend's name. It helped get a result, unlike her calling them for 30-40 minutes at a time.

2. He sounded resigned to not getting his money back. Hardly gleeful

3. Is his name not Tony? If it is, why call him 'Tony'

Craftsman
    What I find interesting and ironic about this thread is that Page and Cooper have always sold themselves and their itinerary at a premium to their competitors. They justify this premium due to their self proclaimed level of personal service they provide, 'building a relationship' and 'joining the family' etc etc. (as illustrated in numerous nauseating sanctimonious youtube videos). Yet in this instance, Tony's complaint was that the premium he paid resulted in piss poor customer service!

Quote Originally Posted by ROBANNENAGY View Post
    What I find interesting and ironic about this thread is that Page and Cooper have always sold themselves and their itinerary at a premium to their competitors. They justify this premium due to their self proclaimed level of personal service they provide, 'building a relationship' and 'joining the family' etc etc. (as illustrated in numerous nauseating sanctimonious youtube videos). Yet in this instance, Tony's complaint was that the premium he paid resulted in piss poor customer service!
    This is exactly why I would not buy from them now as his claims of premium pricing equals premium service are complete hogwash.

I'm still waiting for a reply to a couple of emails I sent them a while ago re servicing my DA37 and DC56. With hindsight I'm pleased they couldn't be bothered now.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I'm still waiting for a reply to a couple of emails I sent them a while ago re servicing my DA37 and DC56. With hindsight I'm pleased they couldn't be bothered now.
    Dodged bullet(s)?