closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Benitez agrees to stay on at Newcastle

Benitez agrees to stay on at Newcastle

https://www.theguardian.com/football...premier-league

To say I'm delighted would be a massive understatement. He wouldn't have signed this contract unless he has full control of everything he wants control of so hopefully that's the end of the Ashley / Charnley way of mis-managing our club.

No knee-jerk predictions from me, just genuinely thrilled and full of excitement.

Blimey. Fair play to him. Fingers crossed he really is given the control promised. Good news!

I wonder what happens when the promises and assurances presumably given to him start to fray....

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I wonder what happens when the promises and assurances presumably given to him start to fray....
    That's just it. Ashley has never kept his paws off to date, why would he do so now? He clearly doesn't give a hoot about public or fan opinion of him which has been pretty poor for quite some time...thick skin that fella :)

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I suppose that's why they've been written into his contract so once broken he walks. You'd think if the club are prepared to write then into his contract then they'll adhere to them. We also have to remember that every manager and club relationship breaks down or ends at some point, I just hope that's a long way off.

Craftsman
    This is probably the best move Newcastle have made since Ashley took over

A proper football man in charge of the key things at a football club - how revolutionary !

I think Ashleys biggest mistakes in the past relate to employing the wrong people in key roles … and then letting them get on with the job. Hopefully he has now seen the light and will give Rafa the support he deserves.

Getting out of the championship will still be difficult but at least there is some real hope for a brighter future. (I hope that doesn't sound too deluded!)

Blog Entries
    Good move for the magpies... You'll have a lot of fun next season!!!

You're in a proper league

Master
    As a Liverpool fan I have a lot of time for Rafa and wasn't pleased with the way he was forced out of the club by a terrible ownership situation. A very good appointment for Newcastle.

Quote Originally Posted by midgetda View Post
    As a Liverpool fan I have a lot of time for Rafa and wasn't pleased with the way he was forced out of the club by a terrible ownership situation. A very good appointment for Newcastle.
    My brother in law is a season ticket holder at Anfield and he feels the same as you.

Good.

Master
    Great news for Newcastle. Should jump straight back next year

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    Great news for Newcastle. Should jump straight back next year
    One step at a time eh. The first step was keeping Rafa, the next is unloading the garbage and the next is getting in who we need. Then we start the season and see how it goes. I'm too long in the tooth to be getting too carried away

Master
    I trust in Rafa to get that done.

As a Leeds fan, just don't do what we did. not that you will as apparently Newcastle are self sufficient financially, apparently. Can't see the crowds taking much of a hit - the first year will almost be seen as a novelty!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    I trust in Rafa to get that done.

As a Leeds fan, just don't do what we did. not that you will as apparently Newcastle are self sufficient financially, apparently. Can't see the crowds taking much of a hit - the first year will almost be seen as a novelty!
    Now he's signed it'll be full houses at home.

Craftsman
    Fantastic news. No mucking around this time, let the manager manage. Fair play to Rafa for taking it on, and Ashley for not mucking it up (more than he already has).

Good news for Newcastle just hope when our new owner/s finally take their seat at the top table we can sort out our vacant position pDQ.
    Roberto Di Matt'o mmmmmm.

note for new Manager ,we need a whole new team!

Quote Originally Posted by lacroix4 View Post
    Good news for Newcastle just hope when our new owner/s finally take their seat at the top table we can sort out our vacant position pDQ.
    Roberto Di Matt'o mmmmmm.

note for new Manager ,we need a whole new team!
    I hope you get a good manager and the new team you need because the way your your club has been mis-managed is a disgrace.

I presume that he has been promised big money to spend. Hopefully he'll spend it wisely, big name players aren't necessarily what is needed to get out of the Championship. If he spends big on the wrong players it could really harm the clubs future if promotion isn't achieved.

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    I presume that he has been promised big money to spend. Hopefully he'll spend it wisely, big name players aren't necessarily what is needed to get out of the Championship. If he spends big on the wrong players it could really harm the clubs future if promotion isn't achieved.
    Agreed. I'm really interested and dare I say excited about who comes in. He's had a decent chunk of time and 10 highly competitive and important games to get a sense of what he already has which will help him.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wonder if the £5,000,000 a year added anything to his decision!

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    I wonder if the £5,000,000 a year added anything to his decision!
    I doubt it as he would have got that or more wherever he went.

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    Hopefully he'll spend it wisely, big name players aren't necessarily what is needed to get out of the Championship.
    Spot on. You could see the fans turning their nose up if Newcastle bought players from, say, Huddersfield, Brentford or Ipswich, but that's the league they're in. You can't imagine folks getting excited over people like Andre Gray or Ross McCormack, but they know how to score goals in the Championship.

Sometimes a big name that drops down works out well too - I can fondly remember the season James Beattie arrived at the Lane - a big(ish) name at the time stepping down to the Championship. He was ace - better than a goal every two games.