closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Kickstarter Watch - Bronze 6105 style automatic

Kickstarter Watch - Bronze 6105 style automatic

Very tempted to sign up for this as a companion to my PRS68

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...s-basel-switze

I don't think the case is anywhere near as well executed as Eddie's version, but for sub £150 it's very tempting...

I'm looking for a bronze watch from a microbrand atm and it seems good value at first look. Not a huge fan of that case tho. But that price is very tempting.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Quite like it but the hands are a bit square and chunky but for the price it looks good..

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Quite like it but the hands are a bit square and chunky but for the price it looks good..
    I'm liking the square and chunky hands. But then probably my two favourite watches in my collection are my Sinn U1 and my Pelagos - so I obviously have a thing for chunky squared off hands...

I'm not keen on the size of the crown relative to the cut out in the case, but it looks like someone else has pointed that out in the comments and it may well be increased in diameter.

I've signed up now anyway, I'm sure it'll fit right in languishing in the watch box with all the other infrequently worn micro brand watches I've succumbed to in the past. Will I ever learn...

Blog Entries
    Aren't they ripping off Dagaz's logo?

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Aren't they ripping off Dagaz's logo?
    Maybe. The kickstarter page claims its some kind of warning flag symbol for tropical cyclones. Does look similar to the Dagaz logo though...

But then - ripping off the logo of a homage maker / Seiko modifier or ripping off a Seiko watch design (and fitting it with a Seiko engine) I'm thinking the waters are murky whichever way you look at it...

I'm not expecting 'bronze' either, at this price it's probably more likely the same sort of brass as other low end far eastern micro brands have been using...

For the money I think it's worth a punt. I just took one :-)

Sent from the FBI

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytrain View Post
    But then - ripping off the logo of a homage maker / Seiko modifier or ripping off a Seiko watch design (and fitting it with a Seiko engine) I'm thinking the waters are murky whichever way you look at it...
    A general design is one thing and a logo is another, in my view. One may be legally protected and the other not.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    A general design is one thing and a logo is another, in my view. One may be legally protected and the other not.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagaz

So, its a symbol from an ancient language. A bit like the Omega logo - which may well be copyrightable in the realm of watches etc.

But anyway, the logo on this is similar, but rotated through 90 degrees and solid filled - rather than a pen stroke etc. and it has a 9 next to it.

I'm not banging a drum either way. There is some similarity and it may even be intentional. It is obviously a very similar watch to the Dagaz Typhoon which also took Seiko's 'general design' as it's inspiration so perhaps that strengthens the intentional argument further. What with Typhoons and Cyclones being kinda related too...

Hey ho.
    Last edited by Crazytrain; 24th May 2016 at 15:02. Reason: Hit reply before I'd finished

Master

They just cancelled the Kickstarter...

...and switched to a pre-order site.

Looks pretty amateurish to me, and I'd say the likelihood of losing your £50 deposit is pretty high. However, I'm still inclined to take a punt for the chance of a bronze- (or more likely brass-) cased 6105 diver for <£200.

Anyone else inclined, or do too many alarm bells ring?

I had taken a punt on this but now they have pulled it I'm not inclined to reorder via their website. It was marketed as having a retail price after kickstarter had finished of $450 if I remember correctly. And now it's a $200 watch.
    I still think this could be a lot of watch for the money but I'll not bite again. If he doesn't reach target he'll pull it again with only a promise of a refund.
    I'd rather regret not buying it than regret buying it.

Sent from the FBI

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    ...and switched to a pre-order site.

Looks pretty amateurish to me, and I'd say the likelihood of losing your £50 deposit is pretty high. However, I'm still inclined to take a punt for the chance of a bronze- (or more likely brass-) cased 6105 diver for <£200.

Anyone else inclined, or do too many alarm bells ring?
    I put a deposit too......like the idea and the looks. Already have a bronze watch and I like it a lot...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Seems a bit underhand to me. I'd signed up but don't feel inclined to do so again on this basis

I think I'll pass now.

I've seen similar changes a couple of times before - but the creators in those cases have generally tried to offer those who initially backed them on Kickstarter something of an incentive / thanks for the support.

This could be seen as a good way to get lots of publicity for a project / test the waters using Kickstarters reach and infrastructure before pulling out and saving some money by doing it 'alone'. Alone in this case being a strategy that a standalone website probably wouldn't have secured 200 plus pre-orders in 20 odd days.

The £50 punt is well within my risk threshold - especially for the then £95 top up to complete the order. But, right now, I don't feel inclined to stump it up.

This move, the comments on the move on the kickstarter thread (and the lack of response to the valid question about the bronze from the cushion case being in contact with the wearers wrist) have all soured things substantially for me. This is 'buy the seller' in action on a bigger scale for me, somewhat disappointingly - as I did like the idea.

It just serves to reinforce my view that Eddie has the right approach for releasing (relatively) small scale new watch designs. No planks, pledges, non-refundable deposits. Just watches for sale - when they're ready.

Looks like everyone can make a watch these days regardless having any sense of design.
    To make a poor copy of a great watch is one thing, but using the heritage of the original one, plus movement from the brand is another level....
    of ripping off.

Looks very nice for the price offered. Can someone please explain why it states that funding has been cancelled?

Apart from the insert, date, logo and hands it's bang-on.

Apprentice
    does nothing for me unfortunately....

Craftsman
    I also backed the watch as it would of gone nicely with my PRS-68 and seiko SRP 777 and feel pretty let down that the KS funding has been withdrawn given the goal was reached very early and numerous options on stretch goals were discussed.

Like others on the thread I may well take a punt on the web pre order campaign.

If it does deliver at that price it's very good value and I'd be keen to see how the bronze aged over time.

He states he needs 80 takers, I reckoned he'll get that, but wonder if his manufacturer has a minimum order quantity?