closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sewills PRS-44 Blue on NATO

Sewills PRS-44 Blue on NATO

First shot "in the wild"?

Master

^ Looks great, Glickman. And yes, I think you might be the first owner to show one (as most everybody in the UK must be asleep at this hour, I might even be the first to see it!)

BTW, if you're familiar with the Steinharts, would you have any thoughts on the comparison?

Thanks for showing too

I think ralphy might have pipped you to it, unless I was dreaming!
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    I think ralphy might have pipped you to it, unless I was dreaming!
    Ralphy's amazing shots don't count!

Just about to pull the trigger on one of these. What's your impressions?

Quote Originally Posted by Nin101 View Post
    Just about to pull the trigger on one of these. What's your impressions?
    They're not bullet proof, so don't!

M.

Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Yes please.

I wonder how well the PRS-44s are selling. I wasn't won over initially because at first glance the cyclops looks under-powered, it's another sub homage and because the watch wasn't designed from the ground up by Eddie like most of the other TF watches. However, they are growing on me—especially the blue one—and I'll be interested to read any reviews that pop up.

Let's hear more about it glickman!

Looks smart does that.

Struggling with this one. The one in the OP looks as though the cyclops is off centre as well as way too underpowered, the bezel doesn't line up and the minute hand curves up from the dial.

Not sure how much of that you can really tell from the OP photo.

A quick iPhone shot from this morning. This watch is solid. The bezel is properly aligned and action is sure. The cyclops is also properly aligned and the small date window could be better magnified. This watch is absolutely beautiful in blue. It looks and wears like the "crowned" brand that it emulates, and this is makes me feel somewhat guilty. I wish it had a more original design aesthetic/identity.

Master

Lightbulb

^ Since Sewills' use of the coronet or crown above its name as a mark of its brand apparently long predated Rolex's own use of the same, maybe Eddie would have a legal cause of action against them if not for the statutory time limit to file (I think it expired about a century ago)

BTW, the date looks plenty magnified to me in the first photo put up and I don't think I'd myself need or want it any larger than that
    Last edited by Rollon; 25th May 2016 at 19:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollon View Post
    BTW, the date looks plenty magnified to me in the first photo put up and I don't think I'd myself need or want it any larger than that
    Yes, I think it's OK in retrospect. My initial thoughts on this were because the date doesn't fill the cyclops like it does on, say, a Rolex (especially noticeable in the stock photos on the TF web site).

I'm sure it'll sell well and has a history of its own, but did the world need another sub-alike?

Sorry to sound negative...

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I'm sure it'll sell well and has a history of its own, but did the world need another sub-alike?

Sorry to sound negative...

M
    You could ask that about almost any diver's watch.

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    You could ask that about almost any diver's watch.
    This is a LOT more like a Sub than, say, a PRS68, PRS82 or a Dreadnought Voyager, to be fair.

M

Sorry does it really need '25 Jewels' and 'Sapphire' printed on the dial? I find that quite off putting as does having 'rotor self winding' on a Tudor!

Whilst it is a sub a like it does remind me more of the Old Tudor subs, most likely due to the colour.

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Sorry does it really need '25 Jewels' and 'Sapphire' printed on the dial? I find that quite off putting as does having 'rotor self winding' on a Tudor!

Whilst it is a sub a like it does remind me more of the Old Tudor subs, most likely due to the colour.
    Don't care, still want one.

It's your choice of course but I won't be a customer for one

At least it doesn't have loads of irrelevant text around the rehaut.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

This is a LOT more like a Sub than, say, a PRS68, PRS82 or a Dreadnought Voyager, to be fair.
    The original Sewills pro diver was slightly less Sub-like, agreed, but most diver's watches since the 50s have been Sub-like (or Fifty Fathoms-like, if you prefer) to a greater or lesser extent.

The original Sewills pro diver was slightly less Sub-like, agreed, but most diver's watches since the 50s have been Sub-like (or Fifty Fathoms-like, if you prefer) to a greater or lesser extent.
    And this is to a much greater extent.

I have no problem with divers watches, I actually use one for its intended purpose sometimes and I like the style generally, but this, like some of Steinhart's output (for example) is more a replica (ie deliberately like something, not in a FAKE sense) than having similar features (ie a rotating bezel marked in minutes, which is the only REALLY consistent feature of a diver's watch - A Fifty Fathoms doesn't REALLY look as much like a Submariner as this, does it?).

The other watches from TF that I've mentioned are either original or draw on other, less copied designs, no longer in production (at the time, at least).

Anyway, as I said, I'm sure it'll sell well and will prove a good choice for anyone who DOES want a Sub-alike.

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 27th May 2016 at 10:17.

Anyway, as I said, I'm sure it'll sell well and will prove a good choice for anyone who DOES want a Sub-alike.
    I’m sure it will sell well too.

It’s clear to read, a positive bezel movement without any backlash, good ‘hefty’ feel to it and a secure clasp plus divers extension to the bracelet. In other words, a good dive watch as exemplified by the Submariner.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

It looks good on a TF blue canvas too!
    Last edited by chrisb; 27th May 2016 at 14:06.

The other watches from TF that I've mentioned are either original or draw on other, less copied designs, no longer in production (at the time, at least).
    Right, but are you aware that this is a remake of the pro diver watch made by the original Sewills company in the 90s?

So if you think it's too Sub-like, you should blame them, not Eddie (although he has changed the numbered hour markers, which actually I rather like).

Right, but are you aware that this is a remake of the pro diver watch made by the original Sewills company in the 90s?

So if you think it's too Sub-like, you should blame them, not Eddie (although he has changed the numbered hour markers, which actually I rather like).
    Mmm - It's not THAT similar to the new one is it?

Especially the dial.

But, yes, I did know it owed something to an earlier model (hence the comment in my original remark).

Anyway, I didn't intend to bang on about this - I wouldn't have posted what I did, if it had a dial closer to the '90s model.

As I said, if it fits your requirements I've no doubt it's another high quality product from Timefactors. I'm certainly happy with their watches that I own.

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 27th May 2016 at 15:25.

The problem is clearly that Sewills, like so many others, went with a case design inspired by the Sub but Eddie has then gone on to add a dial which gives more than just a nod to the Rolex. Blame is the wrong word but the boss has consciously brought this one nearer to a Sub. Eddie's a smart cookie and knows exactly what he's doing with this and I'm sure it will sell well to those already considering a Davosa, Steinhart etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by glickman View Post

A quick iPhone shot from this morning. This watch is solid. ............ and .................. is absolutely beautiful in blue. It looks and wears like the "crowned" brand that it emulates, and this is makes me feel somewhat guilty. I wish it had a more original design aesthetic/identity.
    Thinking more about what you and others have commented on, and with the reminder from Bitfield, then perhaps it does make sense that, for particular potential buyers who might like this Sewills' specs, quality, and value, but not the aesthetics of the iconic but ubiquitously available Submariner styling, maybe for future production an optional additional version of the Sewills 44 with the MOD's Type '48 pattern dial so seemingly seldom used for divers would be a good answer

I know that when Eddie posted up the following earlier this year I thought it looked great too >

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Pity I missed it.

Eddie
    And if I were to make a pure guess without any inside information of any kind to base it on, I’d say that Eddie might very well have already been thinking along such lines when he posted the above last January

> http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...eBay-last-week
    Last edited by Rollon; 27th May 2016 at 16:52. Reason: added link

I have to say that I'm not a big fan of diver watches but the PRS-44 is a SUPERB looking watch especially in the blue.
    If I had the money I would buy a blue 44 and a Speedbird III to go with my I & II.
    Regards ......... Gary.

Journeyman
    Had a few from Timefactors. Never dissapoints. This could be next.

Skickat från min SM-G935F via Tapatalk

I’ve returned from a 3 week trip whereby I wore the PRS-44 throughout.

Usually after such a period I cannot wait to change to something else from the watch box, but not so this time - it’s still on my wrist.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

How did my cat get there

I told a mate about the PRS-44...... He ordered one Thursday night.
    Jealous now 'cause I would have loved to have bought one to wear to Malta tomorrow morning.

- - - Updated - - -

Damn.

At risk of causing some trouble here ..... Whilst in Malta I ended up buying another watch instead of the PRS-44.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Nice size at 38mm and my first battery watch.

Regards ......... Gary.

I must admit I do like it, my only problem is it looks exactly the same as the steinhart/Grovana rendition but more expensive, please someone tell me what is different, better than these other brands apart from a different name on the dial.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    It looks good on a TF blue canvas too!

Thats looks so nice on the blue canvas,

On one of GGB’s creations:

R