closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seiko MM300 - thoughts? updated, watch arrived!

Grand Master

Seiko MM300 - thoughts? updated, watch arrived!

I dithered and then caved in on the recent one that popped up in sales corner, but i was beaten to it. Time for some proper consideration, show me yours and let me know the pros and cons you have found please chaps!
    Last edited by ktmog6uk; 26th May 2016 at 12:02.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    I had one Kev and it is a nice watch but I found it way too top heavy and the bracelet was a bit tinny, I wouldn't have another one but I know I am in a minority :)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    I had one Kev and it is a nice watch but I found it way too top heavy and the bracelet was a bit tinny, I wouldn't have another one but I know I am in a minority :)
    that's the sort of response i need to talk me out of it! and i'm Jon!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

It's almost perfect.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I loved mine. The only reason I sold it was because I was constantly worried I'd ding the super shiny bezel

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    It's almost perfect.
    This!

I've had two now, and let them go quite quickly. The dial is really well proportioned - I didn't like the case finishing, I didn't like the bracelet, and I couldn't get to see the nice movement.

I'd like to be in charge of a few Seiko parts bins and make the perfect MM300.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 23rd May 2016 at 21:14.
    It's just a matter of time...

Probably one of the most discussed watches here and WUS if you care to look.
    I consider it one of the best watches ever to come from Seiko and an icon in dive watch world, Sure, it is tall and hefty on the bracelet.
    Personally, if you have never had it, Don't let yourself be talked out of it by anyone. If you find it is not your cup of tea, should be easy to flip. It is as close to perfection in my view as a Submariner.
    Some usual criticisms other than height are lack of sapphire crystal, less than a stellar bracelet, unsigned crown etc.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Some usual criticisms other than height are lack of sapphire crystal, less than a stellar bracelet, unsigned crown etc.
    New ones have signed crowns:

Nice watch at the right price - could have been close to perfect with only a little more effort. At current prices I think it's a good buy - but at the old prices I'd have taken the Seamaster 300m over the MM300 and that holds true for me, even given the current price difference.

They are worth trying out at some stage though, and some love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    I loved mine. The only reason I sold it was because I was constantly worried I'd ding the super shiny bezel

Mark
    I bought mine on SC with a scratched bezel which Duncan has just changed for me as part of a service. There is no separate insert so the whole bezel has to be changed and apparently Seiko say it has to go back to Japan for bezel replacement and servicing. But as per my previous sentence, this is not so. To put it in perspective, if you spent a similar amount on a used SMP you'd pay more to fix a damaged bezel insert on account of Omega's refusal to supply just the insert alone.

I love mine and when I return from the Rock next week and get to enjoy it freshly serviced and spruced up will love it even more.

I was smitten with the MM from the first time I saw one (in pictures only never saw one in the metal) took me eight years to put my hand in my pocket, when it arrived it looked great, but it has taken some time to grow on me, I fell out with the adjustable clasp drove me mad with its hair trigger release, sorted that by fitting the clasp from a Seiko monster.
    I prefer wearing watches on a bracelet, she is a tad on the heavy side, some folk describe it as top heavy, overall it is a damn fine watch, if you were to buy a good used example, I don't think you would loose out on resale, give it it try.
    Last edited by geran; 24th May 2016 at 06:42.

Master
    Great looks, great movement, great lume, lovely bezel movement and iconic looks

Terrible bracelet, awful clasp, awful end link fit, no sapphire crystal and top heavy.

Pros and cons, only one way to find out

Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post

Terrible bracelet, awful clasp, awful end link fit, no sapphire crystal and top heavy.

It's so much more than the sum of its parts.

Master
    Sorry Jon my mistake :)

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    It's so much more than the sum of its parts.
    It is, but the dial and the movement are the highlights for me.

Grand Master
    hmmmm....all food for thought, might have to start searching after my hols.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

It ain't perfect but, in a way, it's the imperfections that give it it's charm for me. Yes, it's top heavy but I like to say it sits proud! It's one of the few watches in my collection that still makes me smile when I look at it on the wrist. The bracelet isn't that bad either...plus it also looks great on it's rubber.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post

This exactly, with emphasis on bracelet and triple emphasis on clasp. I don't care about sapphire though.

Great value for money if you buy in the second hand market, and a watch with a great history that sits proudly among much more expensive others (Subs, Seamasters and a few others come to mind).

If you're into vintage, its grandfather, the late-60s 6159-7000 is even more addictive, and still great value for money if you compare to its contemporary gilt colleagues from Rolex.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by drainaps View Post
    This exactly, with emphasis on bracelet and triple emphasis on clasp. I don't care about sapphire though.

Great value for money if you buy in the second hand market, and a watch with a great history that sits proudly among much more expensive others (Subs, Seamasters and a few others come to mind).

If you're into vintage, its grandfather, the late-60s 6159-7000 is even more addictive, and still great value for money if you compare to its contemporary gilt colleagues from Rolex.
    the 6159-7000 is a holy grail, i briefly owned one i picked up at a car boot for £10 about 8 years ago that needed some work - it's what started my watch addiction! i stupidly sold it on when i couldn't get anyone local to repair it , it went on ebay to australia and paid for a holiday which i thought was a good result then.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by drainaps View Post

I have loaned my 6159 to Tony (LTF). Can't wait for him to return it:-)😜

One of the few watches that makes me smile every time I look at it. I've never thought of it as a bracelet watch though.

Master

Seiko MM300 - thoughts?

I had one for a short while and as soon as I opened it I thought it looked fantastic. It has a beautiful brown hue to the dial. I could see what the fuss was about immediately, the build quality is great. However once you start wearing it, you'll notice the poor bracelet and clasp. So much so I put mine on the waffle strap which is very nice but I couldn't help but think I'd got a £1k on a rubber strap...I'm a bracelet man. The clasp was the worst, so much so I bought a replacement without the divers extension. The slightest jar to the extension clasp and it would open, bulky too. So after a while on the waffle strap I couldn't help but think the 007 did exactly the same for a 10th of the cost, a true everyday watch not to be worried about.

However, having said all that, do I regret selling, yes definitely. Would I have another, probably. There's just something special about them, maybe it's just the hype on these forums.

It's one of those watches you just have to try yourself, buy at the right price and it'll sell at the same.

Here it is btw...

Last edited by oiljam; 24th May 2016 at 07:57.

Craftsman
    I found that they wear horribly on my wrist, top heavy and uncomfortable. However, the MM300 is a beautiful looking watch for the money and I do not think there is a better all round diver for around £1k. There is something about the depth of the dial against the bezel that made me keep looking at it more than any other watch I've owned.

I will definitely be buying another one in the future.

I have never owned one, so cannot add to people's ownership insight, but I feel that one of the main things I love about the way this looks is the handset.
    So elegantly tapered and restrained, yet with presence and a large area for lume.
    These hands make normal Seiko diver hands look like puerile graffiti.
    Come to think of it, it seems most grail-like Seiko divers have simple hands. Seiko 6159-7001, 62 Mas, even the 6105.
    Wonder why they deviated.....?

Dave

Grand Master
    I got incoming......
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman
    I've owned the 6159, two 001's and now have a 017 that I snagged recently on SC.
    Top heavy on the bracelet, but on a thick leather strap they wear very well. great lume and movement.
    I'm not a fan of the bracelet, and if ever a watch needed to have 22mm lugs, it's this one...

Master
    This makes me want to try another (had two), damn...!
    I would agree, not a bracelet watch for me though, only ever wore it on NATOs.
    Excellent movement, beautiful dial and a cracking Seiko; as mentioned, with a few parts from their own back catalogue and a few tiny tweaks, it would be perfect.

Only ever worn mine on the supplied strap. Love the contrast of tone and texture between that and the case.

I found it a funny watch to own. I tried so hard to enjoy it on the bracelet and only worked on the supplied rubber for me.

It really is a watch a WIS should try as the quality apart from the bracelet is fantastic - I didn't mind not having a sapphire all.

Hope you gel with it!

Quote Originally Posted by diver527 View Post
    I found that they wear horribly on my wrist, top heavy and uncomfortable.

I will definitely be buying another one in the future.
    Why?

M

Master
    I got mine more than six years ago and it still makes me smile each time I put it on. Yes it's top heavy and imho the bracelet links are too long (I'm fine with the clasp and the end links though) and make it not very comfortable to wear, but (to me) it's a very appealing watch with very nice dial and hands, a lovely bezel and a beautiful case. From time to time I put it on a repro waffle strap for the vintage look...

Banned
    Overrated by watch geeks, like most Seiko, but a good budget dive watch for those who really want a Submariner but can’t have one.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Overrated by watch geeks, like most Seiko, but a good budget dive watch for those who really want a Submariner but can’t have one.
    Miaoooow

Love mine. Like going back in time and buying a watch from the past, only new. No shirt concessions so it is big and heavy, drilled lugs. Nice and blingy yet it does have its own distinct look.

And some pics by others. Probably some from here as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    I can have a sub, I just don't want one!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    ill have one with ham and cheese but hold the mayo

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    You may very well be one of the few who gets hold of an MM300 and keeps it Jon, but you may also be one of the many who get one and don’t...

I'm sure in not alone in owning (and loving) both - long time.

They're so similar in some ways yet so very different in others.

I generally have the MM on any number of rubber straps (as someone else on here said it really is a strap whore) but occasionally stick it back on the bracelet for a little while. It is top heavy and sometimes cumbersome - but it would be one of the last to be liquidated if I ever find myself in the mire...

Journeyman
    Its a great watch in its own right. Room for it even if you have a Submariner.

A professional tool that looks cool. One piece case, superb movement, fantastic dial finishing, great presence.

I must be one of the few who thinks the bracelet is perfect.

I could never get on with the clasp, or the one I bought to replace it. I like wearing watches on bracelets so it didn't end up well. I've had two and won't have another. Probably.
    "A man of little significance"

Love the bracelet. Adjustable while keeping it on the wrist :-).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    You may very well be one of the few who gets hold of an MM300 and keeps it Jon, but you may also be one of the many who get one and don’t...
    very true,,,the truth will out! i am a seriously bad serial flipper after all, but that said, for years my grails have been a white dial Explorer II, an Omega smp 2531, and a MM300. Once this arrives i'll finally own all three!
    really should sell the rest probably!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    It's a great watch for sure but I couldn't get on with it so sold it back to Steppy who I bought it from, and I don't miss it. I much rather the SBDC027 which is much more comfortable for me. Great watches though just not for me.

Craftsman
    I bought the latest SBDX017 MM300 on SC a few weeks ago and i'm really glad i took the plunge .The Dia-shield coating is welcome ,and i believe the watch is adjusted compared the the previous model which i don't think was . [Over 3 week period -3 sec total] very happy indeed .

Mine came without the bracelet which is a real shame ,not sure if the bracelet has the dia shield coating ,so i would look to confirm that .

All in all the small changes have been very welcome and make a already great watch even better.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by omega View Post
    I bought the latest SBDX017 MM300 on SC a few weeks ago and i'm really glad i took the plunge .The Dia-shield coating is welcome ,and i believe the watch is adjusted compared the the previous model which i don't think was . [Over 3 week period -3 sec total] very happy indeed .

Mine came without the bracelet which is a real shame ,not sure if the bracelet has the dia shield coating ,so i would look to confirm that .

All in all the small changes have been very welcome and make a already great watch even better.

The SBDX017 8L35b movement is still unadjusted - you are just very very lucky in regards to accuracy !!

The bracelet is diashield coated, but the clasp is still very thin stamped titanium and a scratch magnet

Bought one, wore it on the bracelet, loved it and only sold it as I couldn't otherwise get the grail.

Would have one again without hesitation. I too dithered about one and once I got one in my hands thought it was stunning from the off.

Will probably have "to settle" for a Sumo now :)

Blog Entries
    LOL oh and LMFAO.

Great gag

Blog Entries
    Ditch the bracelet and use the rubber, it don't get much better.

Craftsman
    Don't forget the mems tech used in the latest marinemasters. They should be very accurate from the off...