closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch Consolidation - HOW did you do it?

Watch Consolidation - HOW did you do it?

Just trying to work out how I can add a couple more watches, but they are more expensive than I have previously paid out for a watch, so would have to sell off some of the ones I have.

So, I am interested in how you went about it, what was the easiest way to do it, or what worked for you.

I have previously almost halved my watches twice, from 50 to around 30, then again from around 35 to 20 - the numbers have crept up a little again. When I was selling off before I was motivated purely to reduce/pay off the mortgage - with that done, I am less inclined to just list the most saleable watches, and need a way of deciding which ones to keep rather than which ones will sell easily.

I am thinking maybe I could do it one last time and then stop myself from buying impulsively in the future (is this a lie?). The idea would be to sell maybe 10 to 15 watches over the next year, whilst adding 3 - I have 2 of the 3 picked out already and could move on this within the next month. I think that would do me and then stick to either a strict one in one out, or one new purchase a year.

Help! :)
    It's just a matter of time...

sounds like you already have a pretty good plan

to decide which to sell, start by splitting your watches into three groups - definite keepers, ones you dont mind moving on, and undecided.

then, the ones in the undecided pile you can put together in a 'its a knockout ' style face off - grade them in preference, if there are any close ties then put one against the other - ' which one would i rather keep out of these two?'

you dont have to do this in a hurry, you can take your time to decide, so any decisions are not rash

if after doing all this you still only have two or three watches in the 'out' pile, then you know you have a problem :)

good luck
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Cheers

I know I have a problem - I think I've got about 5 in the possible out pile, but two of which in an ideal world I'd just keep, but that sounds like a good start. I need to put a little time into it and see what I can do. Oh, balls - the possible 5 can stay at that number, ok so that's 5 decided on :) I think if I can average moving on 2 per month I'll be where I need to be very soon.

You need a definite plan, a goal to achieve, it's the only way, work out the target and what it will take to get there.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    I tried breaking mine down into pairs http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...or-paring-down

Since I made that post, I have increased the numbers by about 5.

Good luck! :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Just trying to work out how I can add a couple more watches,..........
    I am thinking maybe I could do it one last time and then stop myself from buying impulsively in the future (is this a lie?). ....

Help! :)

You don't sound at all at ease over this .''One last time'' , and then a plaintiff 'help.' I'm not sure that advice on which watches to sell and buy is going to help you with this. You sound like you feel you are wrestling with a compulsion. Maybe many of us have felt some of the same compulsion. But I'm pretty sure it is not brought under control by planning to buy more expensive watches. I suspect you know this very well.
    Good luck. The aim is to have fun, not give yourself unnecessary stress. Stuff the watches..they are just 'things'.

Craftsman
    Cheers

I know I have a problem - I think I've got about 5 in the possible out pile, but two of which in an ideal world I'd just keep, but that sounds like a good start. I need to put a little time into it and see what I can do. Oh, balls - the possible 5 can stay at that number, ok so that's 5 decided on :) I think if I can average moving on 2 per month I'll be where I need to be very soon.

Sorry bit confused, why don't you just keep them then?

Blog Entries
    You should join a group of like minded people to form a support group through this difficult time. Oh hang on . . .

On on the other hand, as its on the telly, try voting your watches like they do on Britians Got Talent. Maybe invite Alisha over to help.

Martyn

Master
    Get rid of the ones you have duplicates of.
    SD's PlpoProf's and who knows what else!

Quote Originally Posted by cad monkey View Post
    Sorry bit confused, why don't you just keep them then?
    Because unlike some, I can't afford to add two more expensive watches and keep all the ones I have, I'm only a poor semi-retired officer worker ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by waiteu2 View Post
    Get rid of the ones you have duplicates of.
    SD's PlpoProf's and who knows what else!
    Yes, I will look at this first, and then take some of the good advice above.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    You don't sound at all at ease over this .''One last time'' , and then a plaintiff 'help.' I'm not sure that advice on which watches to sell and buy is going to help you with this. You sound like you feel you are wrestling with a compulsion. Maybe many of us have felt some of the same compulsion. But I'm pretty sure it is not brought under control by planning to buy more expensive watches. I suspect you know this very well.
    Good luck. The aim is to have fun, not give yourself unnecessary stress. Stuff the watches..they are just 'things'.
    You are right, I am not 100% at ease with this. I have a compulsion to buy the watches I like - it is a issue, but not a real problem yet! I am trying to rationalise the collection to 1) be more manageable, 2) wear each watch I own more often, and hopefully 3) get more enjoyment out of the remaining watches.

You are right, I am not 100% at ease with this. I have a compulsion to buy the watches I like - it is a issue, but not a real problem yet! I am trying to rationalise the collection to 1) be more manageable, 2) wear each watch I own more often, and hopefully 3) get more enjoyment out of the remaining watches.
    Im not bothered about not wearing my watches, I only wear a g shock 99.98% of the time. i did try and get the numbers down to about 6 a while back, but I've given up on that, Im not bothered now, as long as I've got less than 25 i dont think I've got a problem :)

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Im not bothered about not wearing my watches, I only wear a g shock 99.98% of the time. I did try and get the numbers down to about 6 a while back, but I've given up on that, Im not bothered now, as long as I've got less than 25 i dont think I've got a problem :)
    It's only a problem if it becomes a problem. I guess I have dilemma, in that for the first time in a long time, I really want to buy something that I can't afford to just go out and buy, once I've bought the Patek, without selling something first. Additionally, I honestly believe I'd feel a bit better about only having around 10 watches rather than 25+. If the overall value is about the same that doesn't bother me too much. My other fear is that if I realise anymore money from the watches and don't use it for watch related spending, the money would just find its way into other spending that I'd rather it didn't.

after the five you've already chosen, why dont you just sell the ones that are most easily replaced until you have the value of your pp?

Might be a sensible approach. I have the PP mostly covered, and can move things around to pick it up in any case - but I don't want the additional amount tied up in watches, so the only way I could justify the purchase was to promise myself I'd sell some of the existing watches.

Now, in order to pick up a GMT Pepsi, I'd have to make some real changes - but I think I'm ready to take the plunge.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    after the five you've already chosen, why dont you just sell the ones that are most easily replaced until you have the value of your pp?
    This is probably good advice. Just keep the ones that are genuinely not easily replaceable - which I'm guessing will be the more vintage pieces. Reality is most of the modern stuff will not be rare at all in the coming years - but they may go up due to inflation and market corrections (heck maybe even better than a bank)

Now stop speaking about that blasted PP, I've been starting to think how I could feasibly make the financials work and its not healthy

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    This is probably good advice. Just keep the ones that are genuinely not easily replaceable - which I'm guessing will be the more vintage pieces. Reality is most of the modern stuff will not be rare at all in the coming years - but they may go up due to inflation and market corrections (heck maybe even better than a bank)

Now stop speaking about that blasted PP, I've been starting to think how I could feasibly make the financials work and its not healthy
    And he doesn't even have it yet!
    Just wait until you get the 5711 and you might realise that you don't need as many watches anymore.
    Someone said start selling the duplicates, seems the best advice so far.
    Crazyp, just go for it if you can...

I became a dozenalist. Previously I owned an unwieldy 10 watches but now I'm down to ᘔ.

Sell duplicates - mortgage paid= more disposable income

Master
    I went from 12 down to 1, the definite keeper, the one that got me into all this in the first instance.
    The house needed a little more work than I initially thought when I bought it. So rather than upping the mortgage 11 had to go. I missed them initially, but the house is done up the way I wanted it, without compromise and no interest payments.
    I realised then that it was daft having an emotional / sentimental attachment to things I just bought as I liked them and could afford them at the time. (probably shouldn't say that here ;-)
    The collection has crept back up to 4 now and looking for number 5.
    Cycle of life i guess

Grand Master
    I'm back up to too many- 20- but last year whilst looking after my mum and working reduced hours because of it I sold most of mine and got down to three. Take a long hard look at what each watch is in the collection for, and sell the ones that duplicate the core you want to keep too closely. I'm in a similar boat now, I had a mad splurge and have bought 20+ watches including Rolex and Omega since December and I want to thin it out to a more realistic 12 or so.

Thanks for all the great comments/insights - I am feeling stronger today. As long as it isn't punishing day in board meetings I'll have a real go at a final(it) selection this evening and then take my time with the re-arranging.

Looking at all the watches last night (and there are a few more in the safe and some in Oz) I realised just how out of control I've been - maybe it's not just a case of replacement of many with a few more expensive items, but also thinning the herd for the sake of it - I doubt that will happen though :)

Master
    Thanks for all the great comments/insights - I am feeling stronger today. As long as it isn't punishing day in board meetings I'll have a real go at a final(it) selection this evening and then take my time with the re-arranging.

Looking at all the watches last night (and there are a few more in the safe and some in Oz) I realised just how out of control I've been - maybe it's not just a case of replacement of many with a few more expensive items, but also thinning the herd for the sake of it - I doubt that will happen though :)
    Watches yes, but not just watches. Thinning the herd, or rather taking stock of all your stuff then deciding what you actually want and need, is a great way of clearing the mind and uncluttering your life.
    I've done it with watches through necessity and clothes through want. my life is simpler now and boy am I happier for it. Learning to let go (well sell off) is the hard part, good luck with your journey

Master
    I have noticed that my tastes have changed drastically afte 3 years of collecting.
    Right now I just try to sell one for every one I decide to buy or just trade... Hopefully as soon as I feel that I have obtained the pieces I wanted I will just start selling in order to finally downsize...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Well ignore me...after my advice up there^^^^ ...all it took was one pm and my resolve collapsed like a house of cards and I have a new incoming...

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    Well ignore me...after my advice up there^^^^ ...all it took was one pm and my resolve collapsed like a house of cards and I have a new incoming...
    Congrats - care to be more specific

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Congrats - care to be more specific
    Seiko mm300
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Seiko mm300

Master
    Scott, best of luck and if it's any help here's a reminder of my journey http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ney-and-a-SOTC!

I did end up adding an SD-C but in the last year have also sold off the Milgauss and GP, leaving me with just three - ignoring a couple of Swatches and three G Shocks.

The way I've managed to keep numbers down are
    1) Just appreciate what I have
    2) Have a lower paid job than in the past
    3) Spend money on property and a car
    4) Avoid social interaction with WIS'

Cheers :)

a more realistic 12 or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
    leaving me with just three - ignoring a couple of Swatches and three G Shocks.
    Cheers :)
    To any sane person, comments like these must seem like complete madness!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    I became a dozenalist. Previously I owned an unwieldy 10 watches but now I'm down to ᘔ.
    The Artist Formerly Known as Prince?
    So clever my foot fell off.

It's a dozenalism joke. Not an expansive comedy genre, to be fair.

I have fewer watches now than I have had in years, mostly because I realised I have now owned almost all of the watches I have ever had an interest in at some point.

Like most hobbies, it waxes and wanes. I have been in a lull period for a couple of years now, but I am sure the mojo will return at some point.

I just kept the ones I actually wear, or have real attachment to.

I'm down to about twenty "significant" watches now... plus quite a lot of older cheaper vintage ones (the kind i used to do Banana Sales/Trades Posts with) that remain in boxes as a hang-over from my very manic initial collecting phase a decade or so ago.
    So clever my foot fell off.

I remember fondly the banana sales :)

I really do feel it will help my overall appreciation have a few less watches, but also a few more meaningful watches. I never expected to want more expensive watches - in fact I sold my 50th anniversary Fifty Fathoms because it was the price of 3 16610LV's at the time and I'd rather have had more watches - these days I might reverse that decision if it wasn't the 16610LV's in question.

So... the plan is - decide which watches are going - this should happen slowly over the next couple of months, then pick up the Patek, try and arrange the purchase of the GMTc Pepsi - make sure I sell enough off to at least fund that purchase. Then look for one more purchase and sell off enough to fund that. Ultimately I think that would see me selling off between 10-12 watches over the year to fund 3 more expensive ones (maybe I'll just include my white gold Daytona in the top 3 and decide that I have it covered!) - I'd have less watches to worry about and a few watches that I'm sure I'd get a lot of enjoyment from wearing. Fingers crossed.