closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recommend me some sunglasses - non-sporty, possibly a Ray Ban?

Recommend me some sunglasses - non-sporty, possibly a Ray Ban?

As I advance in years my sartorial tastes have moved away from T-shirts and baseball caps, towards shirts and a nice flat cap.

This is all well and good, but leaves my collection of Oakley sunnies looking a bit out of place and redundant

I'm after something a bit more classic-looking in shape, not sure I can pull off a wayfarer, and my head's the wrong shape for a big round aviator, so perhaps something a little squarer and with a classic feel.

I've no idea what models are what, having been a die-hard Oakley fan for the last 20 years or so - any pointers to suitable brands/models etc appreciated

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Serengeti.....well made,proper glass lenses,comfortable and will last. I've got fairly sensitive eyes as I work in a low light atmosphere and as such it is not unusual for me to wear sunglasses in the middle of winter. Anyhow,even when bright sunshine I find these pretty good and they are also good driving glasses.

Serengeti for driving, Ray-Ban for posing.

Maui Jims.

My wife's an optician and reckons they've the best lenses (nice and comfy too) - I trust her on this.

She says Serengeti are 'OK', but reckons their reputation for 'the driving glasses' is really just marketing and they're no better for driving than most other premium brands.

M

Master
    Ha - I've just bought a pair of Oakleys Thinlink from Shadestation. Excellent customer service and arrived next day special delivery.
    Also have a pair of Seregeti's in the car. Great brains think alike!

Persol ?
    nice classic designs with good lenses

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Persol ?
    nice classic designs with good lenses
    And a very wide choice of designs too. They are very nicely made and some substantial discounts from Smartbuyglasses.com - their prescription lens (in a Persol frame) service was very fast and remarkably cheap.

serengetis
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Maui jim. Very good polarised lenses. Also have a good friend that is an optician and he says by far the best glass. I picked up a pair of sports ones for £120 last year at Heathrow. Everybody I've shown have been impressed and bought some themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had most brands and Maui Jim do make superb lenses that do stand out against other makes, I'd totally agree with this advice

Craftsman
    Ray-Ban do a range called Cats, not quite Aviators, not quite Wayfarers either.

They look nice too with a slightly 70's feel to them which I like, I bought some 15 plus years ago and they're still going

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ra...QTC68Q_AUIBygC

Quote Originally Posted by geordie View Post
    I'm after something a bit more classic-looking in shape, not sure I can pull off a wayfarer, and my head's the wrong shape for a big round aviator, so perhaps something a little squarer and with a classic feel.
    I tried on the Wayfarers & they didnt suit! I went for the Justin, very happy with them!

http://www.ray-ban.com/uk/sunglasses...egory_Id=35771

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Maui Jims.

My wife's an optician and reckons they've the best lenses (nice and comfy too) - I trust her on this.

She says Serengeti are 'OK', but reckons their reputation for 'the driving glasses' is really just marketing and they're no better for driving than most other premium brands.

M
    Fair enough...but from actually trying them whilst driving I have found that Serengetis are better (for me) for driving than Ray Bans and Maui Jims.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Fair enough...but from actually trying them whilst driving I have found that Serengetis are better (for me) for driving than Ray Bans and Maui Jims.
    +1. their dedicated drivers lenses are superb.

Third vote for Persols

Classic style, comfortable

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Fair enough, everyone will have different experiences and I'm not suggesting you're wrong for you, but the 'professional' view (and my wife isn't alone in this, all her colleagues other halves have MJs and they're not the cheapest, even with staff discount!) is that their claims (in their ads) are a little spurious and MJs or Ray Bans (or many others) are really just as good for driving technically.

I was tempted to a pair of Serengetis, but I find my MJs are fine for driving and very good on snow or out at sea, where I often use them.

Mine also have a tiny reading lens at the bottom which mean I can actually read a piste map again!

M.

Master
    I was in a similar position - exclusively wore Oakley but wanted something a bit more "mature" and versatile. I went for the Oakley Enduro in matte tortoise.

i was stuck in airport once, tried on all the usual suspects and ended up buying a pair of revo's. they were the comfiest to wear and had the most relaxing lenses.

Serengeti and Maui Jims all the way - no contest....

My wife is an optician too and says strictly to avoid the fashion brands...

I've got the folding Persols which I find very useful.

Craftsman
    I fish a lot, and for me the Oakley Deep Water work really well

Craftsman
    I have a couple of pairs of these, Original Aviators from American Optics. They are a nice alternative to the RayBan aviators and also a classic design from the 50's.

More square than round and available in three widths to suit different head sizes. Also available in gold or matt silver frames with grey, green or brown lenses. Available from a variety of sources, Amazon, Ebay, etc. Company website here

http://shop.aoeyewearonline.com/The-...l-glass_c2.htm

regards
    grant

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    I've got the folding Persols which I find very useful.
    I have those as well and I find them excellent and I was very lucky to get them in a sale for £69 a few years back. My other suggestion would be Oliver Goldsmith as long as you like a chunky 1950-60s style. I believe they do these as a pair of sunglasses (of course anything can be glazed with any lens and you could also think about doing something more of a one-off and getting an optician to stick in some proper Zeiss glass).

I have three pairs of OGs and SWMBO has two including the proper Audrey Hepburn ones.

http://www.olivergoldsmith.com/colle...=&sid=54&cid=3
    Last edited by Carlton-Browne; 23rd May 2016 at 15:28. Reason: Link added

Master
    Along with some Aviators I've recently purchased a pair of these http://www.theopticshop.co.uk/ray-ba...386-003-8g-67/ which in all honesty do fit better than the Aviators.

Master
    Also a Persol fan. Have a few pairs. Very impressed with the Polarized lenses (to be fair I've not tried serengetis or mauis).

Craftsman
    Been using Oakley for 30 years, Can't "see" me using anything else..

My choices normally go along the lines of Serengeti, Maui Jim then Oakley.

Fish

Some very cool sunglasses on our very own SC as we speak:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ONA-SUNGLASSES

Master
    Shuron Ronsir 'Escapades'...

http://www.shuron.com/escapades.htm

Master
    Rayban aviators they do them in 3 sizes

Craftsman
    Von zipper Elmore with meloptics polarised lenses.

Amazing lenses

Another +1 for persol

I bought mine from pretavoir in Glasgow. Great website and pretty much carry the whole range

found rayban aviators too large and triangular - but they do do the 'cockpit' version which is more stylish and curvyer (available in an array of colour / finish combinations nowadays)

they are also apparently indestructable - they are the only sunglasses i've had that have never chipped, i've sat on them swam in the sea/pool with them - they've fallen off onto concrete umpteen times
    you just bend them back into shape carefully...

Craftsman
    Another + one for Persol, i have 4 pairs. Hand made in Italy and come with very decent lenses Polaroid and non Polaroid, do some rather cool retro styles do a google search for the Steve McQueen fold up ones.

Rob….

Master
    Have tried many manufacturers but the one make i keep coming back to, and currently am using, Vuarnet. Their lens' are second to none.

I have MJ sunglasses and now have Oakley sunglasses. The lenses are better on the MJ but the fit is better on the Oakley which has a greater curve.

I may have to try Serengeti for my next purchase.

Just been down and bought some more Maui Jim Hoopika's but this time in black and as I'm able to get 25% off at the moment I also picked up some Oakley Latch, both are polarized.

Fish

Serengeti

Master
    Maui Jims for me. Picked up a pair from SC last year and they are superb. Oakleys for people too old to wear Oakleys.

Love autocorrect sometimes, just had to overwrite Oak Legs twice :-)

Journeyman

Ray Ban Clubmaster

What about some Ray Ban Clubmaster I tortoise shell, all the classic look of wayfer without the severe look on the face.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    Just to add that MJ customer service is spot on highly recommended when I snapped the frames they replaced this and only charged for postage.

Journeyman
    generally its Oakley for me all the way

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    +1 for Maui Jims. I have a few pairs of shades, Oakley, Rudy Project, but the Maui 210 Aviator are my favourites. Cooler than a polar bears toe nails.

Stuart