closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Surgery means I can't wear a watch.....

Surgery means I can't wear a watch.....

Well, not for a few weeks at least! Had carpal tunnel surgery on my right wrist last week (I'm a lefty and always wear my watch on my right wrist) - having had months waking up with pins and needles in my fingers, finding it very uncomfortable wearing a watch etc I knew I needed surgery (had the left done over a decade ago so knew what it was)
    Anyhow - I've been trying to wear a watch on the 'wrong' left wrist and it's so uncomfortable - plus, I've been whacking and scraping it everywhere! - settled on a Casio 5610, but still feels like I'm wearing a handcuff, very odd.
    So, anyone else had the same issue, and a serious question - how can you wear a watch on your dominant arm? - if this was a steel watch it would be dinged and scratched pretty badly by now, and since I opened a door to let my wife into the garage and scraped the poor G shock against a brick wall, I imagine a sapphire crystal would be marked by now too😞
    Makes me realise the beauty of a cheap G shock though. My daily wearer is a tegimented U1, and I guess I should be wearing it - but seriously, why risk damaging the case of a £1500+ watch (or more likely the movement) by whacking it against doors and walls etc, when you can wear a G?
    I'm hoping my wrist gets better soon - lucky I kept the extra link for the U1 bracelet, I might just need it!

Hope the wrist improves soon - must feel alien using the other wrist?

I usually forget I'm wearing the 5600 when I wear one.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    must feel alien using the other wrist?
    Don't they usually say it feels like someone else?

lol - I suppose that's the idea ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

I thought that was if you sat on Your hand until it went numb? - that's what carpal tunnel compression feels like. I had to have the surgery - I was exhausted and badly dehydrated 😏

Just don't sit on it:) I usually switch wrists when on a beach hols, otherwise you'll get white patch which looks a bit daft when you're not wearing a watch.

In any case, get well soon mate.

Recently, I had to wear my watch on my other wrist, due to it swelling up. It felt strange to start with, but soon got used to it. And did consider wearing it permanently on that wrist.

Master
    Get well soon. Just do what the kids do and use your phone for the time; at least you have something to look forward to when you recover :-)

May be a low profile Rolex:-)😜😜
    Hope you are feeling better soon.

get well soon rob , just use yer phone like the yung uns for a wee while

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Just don't sit on it:) I usually switch wrists when on a beach hols, otherwise you'll get white patch which looks a bit daft when you're not wearing a watch.

In any case, get well soon mate.
    I usually keep my watch on in the sun to get a witness mark showing that I actually did get some sun :)

/Mogens

Master
    At least You got a proper beater to wear... Get well Mate and by the time You knew it, You'll be ready to wear your collection of watches again...

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would say just keep at it. The more you use it on your left wrist the more it will become natural. I was the same, used to always wear a watch on my right but then changed to my left. Felt really weird for a while but now it just feels natural.

I had to wear mine on the other (R) wrist due to an injury a few years ago. After a week or so I got used to it. Now I wear mainly on my left but at least once a day swap my right for an hour as I like the feel. It doesn't seem weird.

Hope you feel better soon.

Craftsman
    The answer is yes. Easily.

I have been wearing my watch on right wrist for more years than I remember due to having a broken arm at the time I got a new watch

It's just a habit thing and like all habits needs a little bedding in time I suspect

Good luck too

Thanks guys, I'll persevere! (Somehow whacked the 5610 again about 5 mins ago getting milk from the fridge) 😵 - now convincing the wife I'll have to sit in the garden reading the morning paper to rest my wrist (secretly I just need to top up the solar charge in direct sunlight)!

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Just don't sit on it:) I usually switch wrists when on a beach hols, otherwise you'll get white patch which looks a bit daft when you're not wearing a watch
    Are you sure you're in the right place?

M

I think I'm about to go down the same path. Just waiting to see the surgeon. What's your recovery time? Can you drive? Fingers, hand, forearm all numb except for the tingling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I find if I wear my watch on my 'wrong' wrist, what I find is odd is not the watch on the 'wrong' wrist, but the lack of watch on the 'right' wrist!

The tell-tale for carpal tunnel compression is tingling fingers - except for your little finger (the nerve for that doesn't go through the wrist apparently?)
    Recovery time is very variable - a couple of weeks to never (apparently) - if the nerve has been damaged badly the feeling will never return. You can't drive for a couple of weeks, at least until the stitches are out. I had tje other wrist done over a decade ago, and the recovery this time round seems to be much quicker. See your GP and they can do a nerve test to see if you need surgery - good luck!

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I had major wrist problems a year back and switched to wearing on my right wrist..... Guess what, dinged my explorer 2. It's something you can't re-programme I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    The tell-tale for carpal tunnel compression is tingling fingers - except for your little finger (the nerve for that doesn't go through the wrist apparently?)
    Recovery time is very variable - a couple of weeks to never (apparently) - if the nerve has been damaged badly the feeling will never return. You can't drive for a couple of weeks, at least until the stitches are out. I had tje other wrist done over a decade ago, and the recovery this time round seems to be much quicker. See your GP and they can do a nerve test to see if you need surgery - good luck!
    Carpal tunnel syndrome is caused by the compression of the Median nerve as it passes through the Carpal tunnel. Median nerve supplies three and a half fingers and the rest is supplied by the Ulnar nerve that does not pass through the Carpal tunnel.
    Studies have shown that the risk factors are pregnancy, obesity , hypothyroidism and prior bad experience(s) with the Rolex of St.James or Panerai.

Thanks for that Rajen 😉 - I think there may be a genetic factor too, both my parents have had the same surgery - on both wrists too, although I'm unaware if they've ever been subjected to a Rolex mauling 😈

Craftsman
    I'm a lefty too and wear mine on my dominant hand. It's whatever you get used too. I'm more careful/precise with my left hand so would probably catch the watch more if I wore it on my non dominant side.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulSim View Post
    I'm a lefty too and wear mine on my dominant hand. It's whatever you get used too. I'm more careful/precise with my left hand so would probably catch the watch more if I wore it on my non dominant side.
    This, I'm the same left handed and wear my watch on the left because I'm too clumsy with my right arm!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

There's a logical reason, imho, to wear a watch on your non dominant arm isn't there? - for example, I moved into a new house fairly recently and I'm regularly carrying out small DIY jobs. If this involves hammering in nails, my watch is on my right wrist (pre-op!) And the hammer is in my left, so no shock transferred to the watch. So whether I'm wearing a mechanical or a G shock it makes no odds. I also suspect most people use their dominant hand reflexively if, for example, a door is slammed in your face, you'll probably use your dominant arm to stop it hitting you. Seems logical to me anyhow!