closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Incoming (vape content)

Well, stone me. I just realised that I hit one year without a cigarette on May 20th. My last update was at 30 days so I'm feeling quite proud of myself.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Well, stone me. I just realised that I hit one year without a cigarette on May 20th. My last update was at 30 days so I'm feeling quite proud of myself.
    Good man, still vaping?
    I hit 4 yrs this month

Journeyman
    Does it still count as a regular smoker if you just smoke when you use the loo?..

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Good man, still vaping?
    I hit 4 yrs this month
    Well done! Yes, vaping but it's a slowly diminishing habit. I expect to have stopped by this time next year, although it's been something of an enabler.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerBabz View Post
    Does it still count as a regular smoker if you just smoke when you use the loo?..

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Errrrr...
    Last edited by learningtofly; 25th May 2017 at 08:37.

I’ve just realised that it was two years yesterday since I last had a cigarette

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    seconded, well done. Is a little treat in order to celebrate?

Following a two-year "affair" with cigarettes between the ages of 10 and 12, I got hooked when I was 18 and became a three-pack-a-day smoker for 28 years. After about 500 unsuccessful attempts to quit, I finally stopped on September 23, 1993. If I smoked one cigarette today, I'd be hooked again.

IMHO, vaping is just a new way for the "smart guys" to make lots of money from the fools who don't know any better. The classic wolf and the sheep. I believe vaping should be outlawed as a public nuisance and obvious health hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    seconded, well done. Is a little treat in order to celebrate?
    Thanks, and yes... a pint and a fag?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Following a two-year "affair" with cigarettes between the ages of 10 and 12, I got hooked when I was 18 and became a three-pack-a-day smoker for 28 years. After about 500 unsuccessful attempts to quit, I finally stopped on September 23, 1993. If I smoked one cigarette today, I'd be hooked again.

IMHO, vaping is just a new way for the "smart guys" to make lots of money from the fools who don't know any better. The classic wolf and the sheep. I believe vaping should be outlawed as a public nuisance and obvious health hazard.

Thanks for the support

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the support
    Sorry, Tony, I luv ya, but that's my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Sorry, Tony, I luv ya, but that's my opinion.
    It’s one that the Royal College of Surgeons doesn’t share, as its proposed that it should be available through the NHS.

I was going to write ‘give that man a cigar’, but had second thoughts!
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Craftsman
    Are you still vaping?

The problem with vaping, and I speak as an evening and weekend vaper who still smokes three roll-ups a day, five days a week (I just can't quite let it go), seems to be that people attack the vape with gusto like it's some kind of elixir for actually prolonging life. Research shows that people who were smoking, say, 20 cigarettes a day but now vape, can be ingesting nearly three times the levels of nicotine they were when they were smoking.

The theory is that vaping contains only a fraction of the harmful chemicals of cigarette smoke and no tar, but it still contains a heady cocktail, and Christ knows what the long-term health consequences of those will be. All that said, it is surely better than smoking, and the absence of stinky ashtray clothes and hair is an added bonus.

Personally, I only vape 0.6mg juices and a 10ml bottle can last me two weeks combined with my three-a-day real smokes. I've convinced myself I'm not doing too badly… but I could be delusional

Quote Originally Posted by andyb28 View Post
    Are you still vaping?
    Yes, but not very much and never more than 0.6mg juice. I don't cough, I don't stink and my breathing is infinitely better than it used to be (and I run, so that kind of thing is pretty easy to measure).

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    The problem with vaping, and I speak as an evening and weekend vaper who still smokes three roll-ups a day, five days a week (I just can't quite let it go), seems to be that people attack the vape with gusto like it's some kind of elixir for actually prolonging life. Research shows that people who were smoking, say, 20 cigarettes a day but now vape, can be ingesting nearly three times the levels of nicotine they were when they were smoking.

The theory is that vaping contains only a fraction of the harmful chemicals of cigarette smoke and no tar, but it still contains a heady cocktail, and Christ knows what the long-term health consequences of those will be. All that said, it is surely better than smoking, and the absence of stinky ashtray clothes and hair is an added bonus.

Personally, I only vape 0.6mg juices and a 10ml bottle can last me two weeks combined with my three-a-day real smokes. I've convinced myself I'm not doing too badly… but I could be delusional
    The reason there is a lot more nicotine in eliquid,is that it doesn't have the thousands of chemicals added to cigarettes to rush the nicotine straight to the receptors in your brain. so it takes longer for the nicotine to reach the receptors when you vape. iirc your body starts to break done the nicotine as soon as it enters it. your brain doesn't receive all the nicotine from the eliquid.

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I’m after some advice about a starter set up. Not too expensive and complicated. Any advice gratefully received!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by andymonkey View Post
    Sorry to resurrect this thread but I’m after some advice about a starter set up. Not too expensive and complicated. Any advice gratefully received!

You will get a hundred different opinions, mostly people will recommend what they use, I use a Coolfire IV and a Triton tank and vape at a relatively modest 17 watts, its been great, simple and reliable about £50 for both I would guess.
    Your best bet is to go to your local vape shops to discuss, most staff in them are passionate about their products and really want you to be happy with the gear as they want you to keep coming back for juice.
    Don't get involved with sub ohm stuff and cloud chasing etc.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    You will get a hundred different opinions, mostly people will recommend what they use, I use a Coolfire IV and a Triton tank and vape at a relatively modest 17 watts, its been great, simple and reliable about £50 for both I would guess.
    Your best bet is to go to your local vape shops to discuss, most staff in them are passionate about their products and really want you to be happy with the gear as they want you to keep coming back for juice.
    Don't get involved with sub ohm stuff and cloud chasing etc.
    Agree largely with Jase's advice. The only point I would make is that I didn't find vaping a real substitute for cigarettes until I went sub-ohm. You can do that without necessarily chasing clouds, so I's just be open to suggestion in the first instance.

Agree largely with Jase's advice. The only point I would make is that I didn't find vaping a real substitute for cigarettes until I went sub-ohm. You can do that without necessarily chasing clouds, so I's just be open to suggestion in the first instance.
    Maybe i should try it then
    Ive always found 'regular' vaping to be enough, but by 'ek, I vape so much more that I used to smoke. It really is just swapping one very harmful addiction for another thats less so ( still vape 12mg juice )
    I reckon having a cigarette now would make me puke.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Thanks for the replies chaps, always good to get user testimonials!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Maybe i should try it then
    Ive always found 'regular' vaping to be enough, but by 'ek, I vape so much more that I used to smoke. It really is just swapping one very harmful addiction for another thats less so ( still vape 12mg juice )
    I reckon having a cigarette now would make me puke.
    I buy short fill bottles now, so once the nicotine shots are added it only works out to be around 3mg. Maybe you should try it.

I had a Coolfire IV and the LED screen died after a year of light use so I couldn't see what settings to use. It still worked though – kind of.

I switched to an Eleaf iStick 30w with a Nautilus mini tank and it's been good as gold for 2 years. It's about the same price as the Coolfire.

https://www.vapingman.co.uk/eleaf-istick-30w-box-mod/

https://www.vapeclub.co.uk/vape-tank.../nautilus-mini

Don't waste time going through all the pen types. A box mod and tank is what you want. Keep the settings low at first with 1.8 or 1.6 ohm coils. I usually have it set to 6.5w on a 1.6ohm and this does it for me. I don't bother with all that sub-ohm cloud chasing nonsense.

Master
    I note that it is quite some time since I first posted on this thread! Very happy to report that I remain a non-smoker. I wouldn’t say that vaping was essential to stopping smoking, but it sure as hell made the initial stages easier.

With that in mind I think it’s important at the start to get something that resembles a cigarette in the way that it draws. “Mouth to lung” is the usual term for this when you are looking at options. Take a bit of time to try a few flavours. You want your initial vaping to be satisfying to a degree that mimics cigs. For mouth to lung I find 12mg is about the right strength, but 18mg might be a better bet initially. That strength requirement rules out a lot of flavours - avoid being tempted to get something in 3mg as that is intended for sub ohm tanks, rather than mouth to lung.

I started off with something roughly like this quickly googled example:
    https://www.totallywicked-eliquid.co...-e-liquid.html

As a device to help stop smoking in those early stages, that type worked well for me. I did quickly try more sophisticated kit but for quite some time I reverted to these starters as they give a good cig-like “hit”.

Good luck Andymonkey.
    Last edited by Si; 21st March 2019 at 22:24.

Grand Master
    Please make sure you join the other annoying twats who create a smokescreen waling down the street, we have yet to discover the potential problems that vaping chemicals into the lungs will create as we move away from nicotine addiction into vape addiction. But if I was a betting man Id say it won’t end well. Heres a very small list of whats in most vapes

• Acrolein damages lungs by attacking the molecules that hold endothelial cells together. [1,2]
    • Diethylene glycol, which is an ingredient in antifreeze [3,4]
    • Nitrosamines,[3,4] which are linked to cancer.[6]
    • Potentially toxic carbonyls, including formaldehyde, acetaldehyde, acetone, and butanol.[9] One study found that with vaping, the exposure to formaldehyde is five to 15 times higher than the exposure from smoking cigarettes.[5]
    • Lead, a neurotoxin. [6]
    • Heavy metals and silicates that the liquid picks up from device’s heating element.[7]
    • Further, in vitro research suggests potential cytotoxic effects of e-liquid flavorings.[7]
    • Propylene glycol, a solvent that is best known for its use in fog machines, which can cause eye and lung irritation[7]

​Seems like a healthy option to me!
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Please make sure you join the other annoying twats who create a smokescreen waling down the street, we have yet to discover the potential problems that vaping chemicals into the lungs will create as we move away from nicotine addiction into vape addiction. But if I was a betting man Id say it won’t end well. Heres a very small list of whats in most vapes

• Acrolein damages lungs by attacking the molecules that hold endothelial cells together. [1,2]
    • Diethylene glycol, which is an ingredient in antifreeze [3,4]
    • Nitrosamines,[3,4] which are linked to cancer.[6]
    • Potentially toxic carbonyls, including formaldehyde, acetaldehyde, acetone, and butanol.[9] One study found that with vaping, the exposure to formaldehyde is five to 15 times higher than the exposure from smoking cigarettes.[5]
    • Lead, a neurotoxin. [6]
    • Heavy metals and silicates that the liquid picks up from device’s heating element.[7]
    • Further, in vitro research suggests potential cytotoxic effects of e-liquid flavorings.[7]
    • Propylene glycol, a solvent that is best known for its use in fog machines, which can cause eye and lung irritation[7]

​Seems like a healthy option to me!
    Apart from the occasional blast of banana toffee water vapour, how does vaping effect you? Or did you simply feel the need to sound off?

Walking around the streets of London you have far more to worry about than scented water vapour, which is effectively all the exhalation is.

Grand Master
    Apart from the occasional blast of banana toffee water vapour, how does vaping effect you? Or did you simply feel the need to sound off?

Walking around the streets of London you have far more to worry about than scented water vapour, which is effectively all the exhalation is.
    I dont know how it effects me but Im sure it’ll come to light eventually, its in a group of annoying things along with fat food feasters on the train. I used to hate 2nd hand smoke but thankfully you only get the odd whiff of that these days. And for the record I never worry about anything cutting about London
    RIAC

Yes, and as an alternative to second hand cigarette smoke I’d have thought it was far preferable.

Kerry, whilst it’s a little early for conclusive evidence, the Royal College of Surgeons is sure enough that gaping is harmless to recommend that it be made available through the NHS. Unless you’re of equal stature in terms of medical qualifications I’ll stick with their findings.

Grand Master
    Yes, and as an alternative to second hand cigarette smoke I’d have thought it was far preferable.

Kerry, whilst it’s a little early for conclusive evidence, the Royal College of Surgeons is sure enough that gaping is harmless to recommend that it be made available through the NHS. Unless you’re of equal stature in terms of medical qualifications I’ll stick with their findings.
    Think you’ll find they said its a healthier alternative to smoking like losing a arm is a healthier alternative to losing both legs. but I couldn’t care less if you vape, smoke, or publicly masterbate just dont cover me in the by product.
    RIAC

Think you’ll find they said its a healthier alternative to smoking like losing a arm is a healthier alternative to losing both legs. but I couldn’t care less if you vape, smoke, or publicly masterbate just dont cover me in the by product.
    No, that isn’t what they said. The report is in the public domain, though.

Oops

And for the record I never worry about anything cutting about London
    I think you should …

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-2000-uk-sites

Grand Master
    So The RCS recommend that healthy non smoker take up vaping? Or do they suggest that vaping is a healthier alternative to smoking and could be used to get people off smoking?
    RIAC

Grand Master
    Think ill be fine only manage around 2 hours a week in the London air
    RIAC

So The RCS recommend that healthy non smoker take up vaping? Or do they suggest that vaping is a healthier alternative to smoking and could be used to get people off smoking?
    The latter, but your analogy was completely misleading. Extensive study found no adverse health effects whatsoever.

Now, of course, a long term study is needed; however, the early signs are good.

Grand Master
    The latter, but your analogy was completely misleading. Extensive study found no adverse health effects whatsoever.

Now, of course, a long term study is needed; however, the early signs are good.

A report today by The Royal College of Physicians says we should put aside any concerns about vaping as it is "much safer" than cigarettes.

And Not vaping is safer than vaping, no need for medical school to work the one out but as I said I dont care if you do just said its as irritating as a Burger King smelly wrapper rustler on a train.
    RIAC

A report today by The Royal College of Physicians says we should put aside any concerns about vaping as it is "much safer" than cigarettes.

And Not vaping is safer than vaping, no need for medical school to work the one out but as I said I dont care if you do just said its as irritating as a Burger King smelly wrapper rustler on a train.
    Burger King - now you’re talking

Grand Master
    Burger King - now you’re talking
    Which if you are borderline obese and diabetic is healthier than 2 burgerkings and a pizza
    RIAC

Incoming (vape content)

I’m a lifelong non-smoker, grew up among non smokers and just don’t get the appeal, but frankly I’m happy for others to make their own decisions. What bothers me about vaping is just how silly it looks (to me) - and to be honest I don’t really understand why! - I mean, the kit all looks a bit ‘blade runner’ but whenever I see someone nonchalantly dragging on a miniature clarinet surrounded by clouds of smoke I can’t help but snigger, especially if they’re adopting that casual ‘hey I’m a cool guy’ pose which even I’ll admit works with a cigarette but somehow vaping just looks so self consciously nerdy. Sorry

Last edited by RobDad; 21st March 2019 at 23:50.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’m a lifelong non-smoker, grew up among non smokers and just don’t get the appeal, but frankly I’m happy for others to make their own decisions. What bothers me about vaping is just how silly it looks (to me) - and to be honest I don’t really understand why! - I mean, the kit all looks a bit ‘blade runner’ but whenever I see someone nonchalantly dragging on a miniature clarinet surrounded by clouds of smoke I can’t help but snigger, especially if they’re adopting that nonchalant ‘hey I’m a cool guy’ pose which even I’ll admit works with a cigarette but somehow vaping just looks so self consciously nerdy. Sorry

Funnily enough, I was saying exactly the same thing to Bea the other day. However, I’d rather look silly and not smoke (well, until I give up vaping and then don’t look silly and don’t smoke).

Anyway, in the spirit of this thread I started in May 2016, I’ve gone nearly three years without a cigarette!

Anyway, in the spirit of this thread I started in May 2016, I’ve gone nearly three years without a cigarette!
    And this is the whole point of vaping. Well done

I do find it odd that some people vape when they’ve never smoked. Like a fashion thing? Stupid!

I still enjoy a roll up now and then so haven’t completely cracked it but I don’t crave anymore, and I can happily go weeks without.

Grand Master
    One of my better decisions was to never start smoking. I grew up in the 70s when smoking was still the done thing, but it never appealed to me and it never will.

Vaping looks even sillier to me, my nick-name for the vapers is ‘puffing billy’.

I know it’s hard to stop, especially for older people who’ve done it for years, but I can’t understand the appeal for younger folks.

Just don't. You're running a fool's errand. Just like I was in the '60s with the "Marlboro Man."

After 28 years of three packs a day, I finally quit cold turkey. It took me HUNDREDS of attempts to quit, but on 9/23/93 it stuck - - only through the confluence of sheer will, dual nicotine patches, and a smoking cessation program at a clinic. Now, 26 years later, I know that if I even smoked one single cigarette today, by next week I would be buying them by the carton again!

Throughout this entire 50+ years of smoking and non-smoking I've been a runner. So even though my cigarette use exceeds 80 pack-years, the chest CT scan I had last week found only "mild to moderate emphysema," which is barely noticeable. You'll notice that my avatar is a picture of me running in a race about three years ago at age 68 (before my hip replacement!). BE KIND TO YOUR BODY - YOU ONLY HAVE ONE!

Master

Scaremongering b*llshit.

For those of us without super vision it says in very small print at the bottom "The products shown contain chemicals found in e-cigarettes. The products themselves are not added to e-cigarettes and are used for illustrative purposes only".

This is the same sort of misinformation that leads to people believing that the mercury in vaccines causes autism because mercury is poisonous.

I've never seen a single e-cig advert ever that states that e-cigarettes emit only water vapour so would call bullsh*t on that claim as well.

RCL stated quite early on into the adoption of e-cigarettes as an alternative to smoking that it was, in short term studies, 95% safer than smoking. Perfectly safe? No of course not, only an idiot would believe that, and with the caveat that long term testing needs to be continued. A lot of the false information comes from studies performed by exposing e-liquid to temperatures far higher than any real world used would ever use them at. Essentially breaking down the components into their constituent parts and analyzing them.

As a technology it has helped and is helping millions of people stop smoking cigarettes.
    Last edited by Bonesey; 22nd March 2019 at 03:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesey View Post

Scaremongering b*llshit.

For those of us without super vision it says in very small print at the bottom "The products shown contain chemicals found in e-cigarettes. The products themselves are not added to e-cigarettes and are used for illustrative purposes only".

This is the same sort of misinformation that leads to people believing that the mercury in vaccines causes autism because mercury is poisonous.

I've never seen a single e-cig advert ever that states that e-cigarettes emit only water vapour so would call bullsh*t on that claim as well.

RCL stated quite early on into the adoption of e-cigarettes as an alternative to smoking that it was, in short term studies, 95% safer than smoking. Perfectly safe? No of course not, only an idiot would believe that, and with the caveat that long term testing needs to be continued. A lot of the false information comes from studies performed by exposing e-liquid to temperatures far higher than any real world used would ever use them at. Essentially breaking down the components into their constituent parts and analyzing them.

As a technology it has helped and is helping millions of people stop smoking cigarettes.
    Well said.

I remember when the first 'warnings' on cigarette packs read:

"Caution: the Surgeon General has determined that cigarette smoking may be hazardous to your health."

I laughed and laughed...
    Last edited by pacifichrono; 22nd March 2019 at 16:51.

vaping cannabis oils is growing in popularity in the US, probably not legal to be just in the street having a toke, but without the odour who knows.

Master
    I have been a pipe smoker for some 30 years, about 2 oz per week.

I would like to wean myself off this and am looking for a simple and fairly unobtrusive bit of kit which will give me a tobacco flavoured hit and not too expensive, in case I don’t get on with it.

Can anybody point me in the right direction, with recommendations, please.

Craftsman
    You can get pipe vapes,if you want no fuss or fill get a Vype epen3,not the cheapest fill but swap out and throw away cartridge with a good smoke and sold at supermarkets and chemists.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    vaping cannabis oils is growing in popularity in the US, probably not legal to be just in the street having a toke, but without the odour who knows.
    A friend of mine does this, and it’s apparently easy to make, the odour is still there but you can mix a bit of fruity juice with it to not make it as obvious.As no one really takes much notice of vaping anymore it’s probably more common than you think.