closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Incoming Helvetia dress watch

Incoming Helvetia dress watch

Arrived this morning and so far very pleased with it for very little money. Lovely light freckle patina on the dial. I hope to get round to some more pictures soon.

Helvetia is one of the vintage brands I'm always looking out for. They have wonderfully quirky in-house movements, and sometimes you even find Helvetia chronometers with arguably the best simple movement, the Peseux 260. Wear it in good health, it's lovely!

Thanks. This has a very clean looking 17 jewel 830 movement which I gather was first manufactured in the mid 50's. Not sure when they stopped making it but the dial has an obvious 50s/60s look.

Thats a splendid looking watch - lovely uncluttered dial

It was seeing all those old Seamasters, Longines etc. on here that got me wanting one - I think you are one of the culprits Velorum :). I assume it's gold plated, it's marked 'plaque or G20' between the lugs. Stainless steel back.

Incoming Helvetia dress watch

A few more pictures, now I've fitted a Eulit Barington Ostrich strap, correctly sized at 17mm.

The 830 movement is a bit quirky as pointed out before, and interesting to watch when being wound. Parts have a lovely red-gold hue which I think is copper, although I've read about some having rose gold plating.

Helvetia was part of General Watch Co. in the early 20th C along with Omega so they are cousins way back. That ended long before this watch was made. Here it is with an older brother. A lot changed in 20 years or so.

Last edited by alfat33; 29th May 2016 at 00:50.

Master
    Has anyone else noticed that amongst non-WIS, this general 'classic' style with gold case / white dial dressy watch seems to be back in fashion??

Craftsman
    They are really nice looking watches and a welcome departure from the divers that usually tickle my fancy....

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    A few more pictures, now I've fitted a Eulit Barington Ostrich strap, correctly sized at 17mm.

The 830 movement is a bit quirky as pointed out before, and interesting to watch when being wound. Parts have a lovely red-gold hue which I think is copper, although I've read about some having rose gold plating.

Helvetica was part of General Watch Co. in the early 20th C along with Omega so they are cousins way back. That ended long before this watch was made. Here it is with an older brother. A lot changed in 20 years or so.

Beautiful! Loving the left one.

Skickat från min SM-G935F via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that amongst non-WIS, this general 'classic' style with gold case / white dial dressy watch seems to be back in fashion??
    I hadn't noticed that. To be honest I don't get the WIS/non-WIS distinction. New watches seem to have stopped getting bigger and bigger though. I've got small wrists anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ukmidnite View Post
    They are really nice looking watches and a welcome departure from the divers that usually tickle my fancy....
    Thanks. Divers-ity not divers for a change? These two together, with new straps, cost less than a full service of one of those wonderful divers so often discussed on here, which is another bonus.

Apprentice
    absolutely love it, keep being tempted by all the vintage watches, omega seamasters especially on ebay, just not sure how well they would stand up to being worn every day, will they die if splashed with water or shocked ?

Well I guess they were made to be worn every day. I'd just go for it and try to be careful.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Lovely hands on that

Thanks. If you mean the gold ones I agree, I didn''t appreciate how elegant they are until I'd worn the watch.

As for the others, I'm a complete sucker for cathedral hands and these are in nice condition :)

Master
    That's a lovely little thing indeed. A brand I usually look out for as the movements tend to be above the average. I had this one from the 1970s, although I sold it a few years ago to pay a storage bill. I still miss it:

Quote Originally Posted by jl smout View Post
    I had this one from the 1970s, although I sold it a few years ago to pay a storage bill. I still miss it.
    Very nice, I think I'd miss it too. I see that is a Prestige, and I think there is a President range as well. I haven't found a definitive source on the company and all the models over the years.