closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tangled up in Blue

Craftsman

Tangled up in Blue

I've been considering a blue faced watch for awhile now, as all my others are black faced with the exception of a silver faced Zenith Captain chronograph. Though I love chronographs above all else, I found myself wanting a simple no date three hander, not sure why, probably just for something different I guess. I came close last year to buying one of the then new Rolex 39mm Oyster Perpetuals, I liked the blue dial, while those little green dot markers didn't bother me at all. But something wasn't quite right, it should've had lumed batons all the way around the dial, similar to the 36mm version, rather than just at the 3, 6 and 9 markers. Its a pity the 36mm OP is just a bit too small.

Being the cheapest of the full sized OPs it also lacked a feature that I'd miss... the glide lock / easy link instant adjustable bracelet found on the more expensive models. I went back to the AD later to try it on again while shopping for a jumper, only to find they were sold out, so I ended up buying an Omega Speedmaster FOIS instead, another black chronograph, so much for a simple blue dialled three hander.

Having seen how some of my watches have depreciated over the years, and since I'm one of those fools who prefers to buy new from an AD, I've decided that the only brand I'd consider buying new has to be Rolex (the Omega FOIS was the exception.. cos I liked it). A couple of months ago I was back at the Rolex AD window shopping with my niece for a 31mm Lady Datejust, who'd have thought a MOP dial would add £1000 to the price! Luckily we were only looking. Well, while we're here drinking tea and scoffing free biscuits, I tried on a few Datejusts, still searching for that simple(ish) blue dialled watch. The 36mm DJs were perfectly proportioned, alas still too small for me, while the 41mm DJII's felt bloated, too fat, with patons that were too wide, as was the smooth bezel. The fluted bezel versions worked better, a little more balanced, those white gold bezels sure catch the light. Too much bling for what I was looking for, not too mention the £800 or so additional cost, though I was surprised that the Jubilee bracelet option was only £50 more than the oyster on the same model.

I'd also had a look at the blue Yachtmaster, again a great looking watch, quite similar to my Sub C and more than I wanted to spend, which left me with one more Rolex that had caught my attention the first time I'd seen it on the internet. There are three dial variants, black, white, and blue, the first two did nothing for me, thankfully the blue option is the Cinderella to the two ugly sisters.

I wasn't sure about the PCLs or the seconds hand in photos, tried it on anyway, and instantly thought.. yep, I'm having this... and now I do..

Not your typical Rolex, a bit quirky and different, which is fine by me..

Master
    Congrats! Yes it is a bit different but that is the fun of it. The blue dial is my favourite too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Nice that, been thinking about one myself for a while now.

Craftsman
    Lovely. Well done. All the wackiest design choices just combine perfectly on that watch

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Master
    Lovely watch and one of my favorite Bob Dylan songs.

Enjoyed reading that - thanks

Looks great

Journeyman
    Blue is the new black!
    I picked up a blue edox grand ocean chronometer last year after a long debate with myself, and I haven't regretted it!

Craftsman
    Never been sure I could get passed the second hand on one of these, but everything else looks just right on it. Well done.

Master
    There's one in a local jewellers window and it's a joy to look at, congrats on your purchase. I hope it serves you well

Craftsman

Red and Green should never be seen....

Its been a few weeks since I got the Z-Blue, and I still love it, I find I'm wearing it pretty much all the time. There is one problem though, many times I've glanced down to check the time, then thirty seconds later had to look again, as I was too distracted by the Blue dial to take not of the time..

Today's been a good day, as I was able to ride one of by bikes for the first time in almost a year. Back home to celebrate I took this photo... red and green ?? Looks good to me

Quote Originally Posted by Merch131 View Post
    Its been a few weeks since I got the Z-Blue, and I still love it, I find I'm wearing it pretty much all the time. There is one problem though, many times I've glanced down to check the time, then thirty seconds later had to look again, as I was too distracted by the Blue dial to take not of the time..

Today's been a good day, as I was able to ride one of by bikes for the first time in almost a year. Back home to celebrate I took this photo... red and green ?? Looks good to me

Any pics of the bike!??

Craftsman
    Its a Ducati 888 SP4 rep

Never mind the watch- that's a beautiful, iconic, bike!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Never mind the watch- that's a beautiful, iconic, bike!
    Yes it is, I seem to have settled on having seven bikes and seven watches, anymore is a bit too many and any less is... well less

I've just posted my first attempt at a watch review of the Z Blue on Youtube, on there is also a look at the 888 and some of my other bikes and projects too..

https://youtu.be/zGlO_IN7Vqs

Craftsman
    Merch131 great choice on the watch, It tends to go unnoticed as most people these days think rolex only produce the submariner or daytona

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Merch131 View Post
    There is one problem though, many times I've glanced down to check the time, then thirty seconds later had to look again, as I was too distracted by the Blue dial to take not of the time..

Haha, that is very recognizable !

Journeyman
    dat bike