closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Paypal - holding my money, new policy?

Master
    Blog Entries

Paypal - holding my money, new policy?

I just sold an item for a fair amount £850 however I notice in the email I received from Paypal that it states:

Please process this order as soon as possible.

Dear blah blah,

You have received payment from Mr X. The payment is in your pending balance and if there are no problems with the order, the money should be in your available balance within 21 days. This will help us continue to be a safer way to buy and sell.

How Can I get my money sooner?

You should be able to get your money within 7-14 days if you:

* Send the item to the buyers address below
    * Provide the dispatch details and mark the item as sent

blah blah blah...

Is this new??? It sucks that I have to send the item whilst Paypal hold the money. I mean it would be useful to have the money to use for the postage for a start!!

Ive had an account for 10-15 years and this is new to me

Master
    I had this yesterday. Spoke to them. You have to update the tracking number with them (or eBay) but the buyer will then also be asked to confirm they received the item and it was in good order. Given the amount of eBay scammers out there I apologised to my buyer after messaging him, and with his permission refunded him immediately as it seemed like the balance of risk had gone completely in favour of the buyer.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wow - this sucks to the extent that I dont think I will want to sell on fleabay again!

Wonder if its for every transaction or just random selection

I sold a mobile four years ago and the same happened they wouldn't release the funds till either I got positive feedback or three months with no problem.

I just stopped using eBay

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    I sold a mobile four years ago and the same happened they wouldn't release the funds till either I got positive feedback or three months with no problem.

Bizarre

Think I will kiss goodbye to selling on eBay too from now on

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Bizarre

Think I will kiss goodbye to selling on eBay too from now on
    Yes I would agree, it happened to both my son and I, it's a right royal PITA.

We use Gumtree more and more, we find the new terms with ebay unacceptable and they still charge high selling fees, it's not as good as it used to be

Master
    Wow - this sucks to the extent that I dont think I will want to sell on fleabay again!

I was told it will happen every time you go over a certain threshold (i.e. 1k, 2k) OR if it is a significant amount over any other item you've sold.

I told them I would choose to not accept them for high value items again as feedback and of course they were not bothered in recording it.

Master
    I was told a while ago that PayPal withhold the money on all mobile phone sales until the buyer is happy it happened to me on an iPhone a couple of years ago

Not sure, I sold a £700 item last week and got the money through fine.

Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    ...it seemed like the balance of risk had gone completely in favour of the buyer.
    It's been this way for some time, even without PP holding back the seller's cash.

Paypal - holding my money, new policy?

I had this recently. Sold a watch on the bay for just over a grand. The guy I sold it to is a dealer on there and just marks the watches up with new pictures. Anyway, he paid me, they froze the funds and by the time I got them, the watch I had sold had been back on sale circa 5 days! I rang PayPal the minute it went up for sale as the buyer was clearly happy, the hold was not sped up.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    I had this recently. Sold a watch on the bay for just over a grand. The guy I sold it to is a dealer on there and just marks the watches up with new pictures. Anyway, he paid me, they froze the funds and by the time I got them, the watch I had sold had been back on sale circa 5 days! I rang PayPal the minute it went up for sale as the buyer was clearly happy, the hold was not sped up.

God - it gets worse lol

Quote Originally Posted by nick67 View Post
    Yes I would agree, it happened to both my son and I, it's a right royal PITA.

We use Gumtree more and more, we find the new terms with ebay unacceptable and they still charge high selling fees, it's not as good as it used to be
    It used to be good?

Master
    EBay only seem to want business sellers - going for an Amazon business model I think.

I used to sell a lot ten plus years ago, have only bought for the last ten. Edit, sold a three year old iPhone about five years ago clearly and precisely describing the phone, accessories, packaging and use. Seller returned it as "the charger cable wasn't perfectly white and she wanted it as a present". Had no choice but to take it back and refund including postage. Never again.

Happened to me in March which prompted this 'moaning like an old woman' thread

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ey-for-21-days!

They released the money well before the 21 days stated - not sure whether my telephone call to them or adding the 'tracking' function to the item listing helped

Might be worth a couple of minutes of your time to give them a call?

Master
    Watch out for refunds too - PayPal processed a return from an online shop back to me on 9th May, and the money still hasn't gone back onto my card. When I made the purchase, the money left my card instantly.

Similar experience here. PayPal held funds for nearly a month - plenty of time for the buyer to completely dismantle and ruin the watch that was sold clearly labelled as "for spares or repair".

More than three weeks after delivery (I supplied PayPal with the tracking number the day it was sent), the foreign buyer contacts me to say he had assumed it would only need a battery change (absolutely no idea why he would assume this), and had decided after dismantling it he couldn't be bothered with the repair and wanted to return it....

I said no.

And so I have now had an unblemished 16yr record tainted by this idiot leaving negative feedback I can do nothing about. There is no redress.

I won't be selling anything of value on there again. Might have a closer look at Gumtree, but that is also owned by eBay...
    So clever my foot fell off.

Craftsman
    I had the same as that with an iPhone. It was broken and I didn't know what was wrong. Sold as such. The funds were held by PayPal and the Guy who bought it took it apart then mailed me to say he was requesting a refund as it was more broken than he expected it to be. He actually said in his message "it will cost more to repair than I will make from it so I am sending it back" !! Then threatened my perfect record with negative feedback if I didn't agree... I was pretty fuming.

So The money was never released to me, I had to suck up sellers fees and postage to have a broken phone retuned to me, which arrived with more scratches than it left.

I haven't sold anything since. When you can't be protected against stupidity there is no reason to use the service anymore.

You should have simply disagreed. Case would have gone against him and the threat of negative feedback would be recorded by eBay and would have removed it.

Quote Originally Posted by tobetobes View Post
    I had the same as that with an iPhone. It was broken and I didn't know what was wrong. Sold as such. The funds were held by PayPal and the Guy who bought it took it apart then mailed me to say he was requesting a refund as it was more broken than he expected it to be. He actually said in his message "it will cost more to repair than I will make from it so I am sending it back" !! Then threatened my perfect record with negative feedback if I didn't agree... I was pretty fuming.

So The money was never released to me, I had to suck up sellers fees and postage to have a broken phone retuned to me, which arrived with more scratches than it left.

I haven't sold anything since. When you can't be protected against stupidity there is no reason to use the service anymore.

I never use eBay to sell anything of high value. Fees too high and balance of protection has been with buyers for years.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Watch out for refunds too - PayPal processed a return from an online shop back to me on 9th May, and the money still hasn't gone back onto my card. When I made the purchase, the money left my card instantly.
    Still waiting for PayPal to refund my money which the vendor refunded on 9th May... I'm guessing they're going to take it right to the "may take up to 30 days". I hope that's not 30 working days!

With modern systems, it takes seconds to move money, not 30 days, so this is clearly a ploy to hold onto the money as long as possible.

I was lazy when I made the purchase and clicked the "checkout with PayPal" rather than entering my card / delivery details manually, but I won't be using PayPal again.

Its not 3 months , its 21 days.

And its not for everybody, it depends how many items you've sold before on eBay.

The restriction has nothing to do with PayPal itself, its eBay (well, they're both in cahoots anyway, used to be the same company?)

So after you've had some history, not sure but something like 20 sells on eBay if I'm not mistaken, they remove this 21 day policy, but I believe it's not automatic but rather you have to give them a ring....that was my case anyway last year, had also a large amount held and wanted me to wait the 21 days. In my case, it did not even matter that the buyer had already left positive feedback like 5 days later after the sale, they still wanted to hold it for the 21 which what got me pissed and gave them a ring about it, some 2 days later they finally released it.

Can you imagine the interest collected on the gazzilions of money that PayPal/eBay keeps for 21 days thru this policy? Must be working pretty nicely for them...

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    I never use eBay to sell anything of high value. Fees too high and balance of protection has been with buyers for years.
    Honestly, I don't see what the difference is/was. Balance of protection has ALWAYS been totally inclined towards the buyer, unless you're one of those kriptonium-plutonium seller who sells millions and apparently, for these eBay even removes negative feedback and the like (its well documented on the eBay forums and I have also once experienced it , left well-deserved negative, the 2nd ever only I've done that, and 2 days later the feedback was gone. What I'm trying to say is that a buyer could still claim he got a brick, and get a refund in 2003, the same as he can now. The money holding period is simply added annoyance.
    Last edited by Dan83bz; 5th June 2016 at 15:16.

Master
    I've recently started selling on Ebay, having previously been only a buyer.

All payments received have gone through immediately with the exception of one of around £170, which is being held as described by others. Not entirely sure why that payment was singled out - it's not the highest value item I've sold over the last few weeks and the buyer left positive feedback, which presumably confirms satisfaction etc.

Have to say that I'm more towards the annoyed than the furious end of the spectrum, but it seems a little much when the deal has been done, the item received and the buyer is happy.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Im the original poster of this thread

Just to confirm, the buyer of my item was a decent guy and gave me positive feedback within an hour of delivery. After feedback it then took 72 hours until I finally got my hands on the money.

I asked why this occured because:

1) I have been a eBay member since 2001
    2) have over 900 feedback (approx 50% of that is sales by me)
    3) have perfect feedback

They didnt really give me an specific answer why.

Craftsman
    I'm having this problem now with PayPal after selling a watch on eBay.
    Buyer paid, watch was delivered with signature next day, positive feedback on both sides. PayPal is withholding my funds for 21 days, claiming eBay put it on hold, but it's not true (contacted eBay more than once and it's definitely not on hold from their side).
    So I asked PayPal what is the reason that they're keeping my funds on hold (using my money), but no real answer is given after several emails and calls, I have to wait.

Is it actually legal to keep funds on hold as they please?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    people still use PayPal? I thought everyone dumped it after the 1st update to their T&C's

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    people still use PayPal? I thought everyone dumped it after the 1st update to their T&C's
    I use it when getting g to the bank to do a transfer is a pain, but generally avoid where possible. Partly because i get fed up with it not coming out of your bank until a week after the transaction is made. Keep thinking i have more money than i really do.

I don't sell on fleabay anymore because of Paypal .

Craftsman
    I've got an answer, but I'm speechless...

"There is no exactly no reason except that when you sell item on eBay, it holds funds. Typically for 21 days if the amount is more than $100.00 USD and if less, you just need to provide tracking information and the funds is released 3 days after its confirmed delivery.

As a seller, we are partnering with you to build your reputation and keeping you secure at the same time. We build your reputation by covering your buyer and giving you a seamless process when a problem arises."

Apprentice
    On two occasions they have held payments on my daughters account for 6 months.
    She had been selling perfume,and someone complained that the item wasnt genuine.
    Despite having sold 100+ items without a problem,she refunded and the perfume was sent back 75% used.
    They then held all her money for 6 months,pending an investigation.
    She then had the money returned after the 6 months period,with no details or explanation given.
    It seems this is not a common occurance,so i imagine that they make a lot of interest on someone elses money.
    Just imagine how many sellers have this happen to them,then you are left feeling the whole thing is a scam to make money.

Craftsman
    Morale of the story , do not use EBay for high value items and Paypal .

Master
    Ebay are certainly geared towards business sellers now, but as one of them I can tell you life isn't much easier.

I've gradually reduced the number of lines I sell on eBay from 500 to around 150 over the past few years. Ebay accounts for about 30% of my turnover, and 70% of hassle.

They've tried so hard to be the buyers friend, they've forgotten they need sellers to have a business.

Master
    Paypal are a bunch of thieves end of story.
    We use them (well maybe not for much longer) for online transactions we had funds held for an item that wasn't received, so we show the tracking details even the confirmation signature, all goes quiet, a couple weeks later it happens again for the same transaction saying item not as ordered, so we show an email exchange that askes for it to be altered.
    Money released, then we get it withheld again as it was fraudulent card use, then case was closed and money released again.
    Fast forward a couple of months and PayPal have taken the money out of our account, so we are starting this process all again.
    We put tens of thousands through PayPal each week but it can be a lot of hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post

I had virtually the same thing, deleted eBay and Paypal accounts. :)

Master
    I think they used to do this with phones as some people would sell mobile phones then wait a couple of weeks and report them stolen and get a new phone on their insurance and the phone they sold on ebay would get barred