closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Speedmaster 1045/ MK4.5 back from STS............. the wonders of a good watch maker

Master

Speedmaster 1045/ MK4.5 back from STS............. the wonders of a good watch maker

Afternoon all

A few weeks back I sent a rather poorly 1045 off to my watch maker STS in the UK, the case had really seen better days and it was desperately in need of some serious TLC

As a lot of you know STS have invested a great deal of money in their facilities over the last few years and this is felt in no better place than the quality of the work then can now do on cases

They have gone to town on the kit, new polishing machines, laser welding equipment, sand blasting equipment and lapping machines galore

Anyway, this has just arrived back so I wanted to share it with you, it was a real mess before it went and as you can see other than the odd mark on the back of the lugs you would be troubled to think on first glance that it wasn't a new watch

Anyone who gets a chance really must try and check them out! Most of the community know their service manager Simon (who really is one of the shining stars of the business) but seeing their museum collection and their facilities is a must in our community if you ever get the opportunity

Master
    That's looking great Tom.

Case looks mighty sharp!

Master
    It was a real mess previously! There were quite a few dinks in it!

Back in the day companies with lapping machines used to just lap back until the dinks were out but the resits looked amazing but caused irreparable damage! I saw a big blue once were it was so heavily lapped the bezel wouldn't stay on

STS laser weld all the damage first and then lap the case so as to retain all of the case material then can and no loose the original dimensions

Look great Tom but I need to see a before shot.

How are they with Speedmaster pro cases?

Tom - fabulous.

I'm still enjoying the MK II racing dial I bought off you a couple of years ago. That had had similar treatment at STS and looked terrific, albeit I managed a small scratch/dink on the case that p***ed me off !!! Not bad enough to be too noticeable/worth sorting, but enough to annoy a WIS

Master
    That MKII was a stunner! The only downside to this type of case finish is that it's not something you can 'touch up' yourself with a 3M

I must put 20-30 watches a year through STS and have always been a fan of their work and their impeccable customer service and Simons willingness to go above and beyond but since they upgraded the pilau hung equipment they really are second to none!

Craftsman
    Wow, that looks amazing. How much was the service?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Serviced prices vary dependant on the work required, this had a few non standard parts done so it skewed the bill slightly but from recollection servicing a 1045 is around the £450 mark! I will check and confirm tomorrow

That looks terrific!

I sent my Speedmaster Mk2 off to Simon for case work only last week. After seeing another example of their work, I'm really looking forward to getting it back.

Master
    That looks fantastic :)

That looks incredible! I'm very excited about receiving a Mark II racing in the next couple of days that I'll be sending off for a service and refinishing so also interested in the cost. 450 sounds reasonable as I'm hoping this will be a keeper!

What's the turn around time for work like this?

A cracker is that one. Great job on the service.

I think one of those rally straps would go well on my Aquastar, is it a Hirsch of some sort?

Master
    Turn around time is usual 30 days, the rally band is an original 1970s omega one but I have a guy who makes them to original design in Italy if you ever need one

Thanks, it looks proper.

Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    Look great Tom but I need to see a before shot.
    Me too - looks stunning after, but would be great to see before too.

Looks incredible!

I had a go at laser welding two days ago.. quite difficult!

Craftsman
    Pilau hung??!

That looks superb.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Beautiful indeed...
    I just let my mark 4.5 go.. Still waiting for the funds to reach my account. Sadly it got minimal wrist time... So hopefully I will not regret it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks great.

I want one now.

Master
    Before pictures?