closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Retro electronic stuff on eBay... Seen this?

Blog Entries

Retro electronic stuff on eBay... Seen this?

In today's Telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...sands-on-ebay/ Not only the iPods, just take a look at the next pages! Then: start crawling through your sock drawers... Or raid your childrens' toy box... And this is the exact moment you'll realize the importance of the box + papers...

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 14th May 2016 at 12:15.

Whoopy doo, I have a pair of the Sony cassette recorders, Both mint.

Interesting

I think that I have a Sony Discman with box and papers somewhere

Master
    They seem to confuse what things are listed at and what they are actually worth!

Master
    I recently sold a working Gen 3 and a not working Gen 2 for about £40, and was very pleased! Seemed to be the going rate for this old kit. The one in the ad is boxed and brand new, and also unsold, which tells a story...

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    They seem to confuse what things are listed at and what they are actually worth!
    Exactly. I collect retro computing stuff and you quite often see things listed at, let's say "optimistic" BIN prices on eBay. Doesn't mean it ever sells. If you set up saved searches with daily emails, you get to see the same items being re-listed over and over. Sometimes they try different prices (not always lower), so there is clearly some strategy behind it. It can also be used as a form of "pinning" so that people will buy lower priced items, assuming they got a bargain.

I suspect a mint condition 1st gen iPod is worth a fair bit, but I doubt anyone is going to pay $10k for it, unless they saw the "valuation" in that article. Maybe it belongs to the author?

To find out something's true market value via eBay, you need to watch several auctions and look at the average closing price. Unfortunately, sometimes really rare items don't come up often enough to be able to tell without bidding, and then you can easily end up in a bidding war with one other person.

Here's an interesting story about the strange market forces at play in retro gaming, by the author of the Higan emulator:

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/c...lators/d302m1b

TLDR: Things are worth what people generally think they are worth.

I'll take $5K for a PlayStation 1 I have in the loft, I'll even through in some games.

Craftsman
    I recently sold a iPhone 3Gs (advertised as having a non-working WIFI, which basically makes the phone useless) to a guy who collected a specimen of every product Apple ever made.....

Telegraph.......

I've got one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-COLLECT...MAAOSwcBhWVjNU (ie the first ever iPod) boxed with all the bits in great condition. I suspect the $9000 asking price is a touch optimistic, but prices for it have been creeping up. Miught be worth a couple of hundred quid if I'm lucky :)

Once I came across a stock of 10 New old stock Commodore C64GS 's Game consoles from a closing down sale (these were UK market only)

I think I paid £50 for the whole lot

I trickle-sold them on ebay and probably made over £2000 in total - bought a nice breitling navitimer with the proceeds...

I used to collect retro tech - stil have some too.

Here are some of my vfd handhelds from the 70's and early 80's:

And one of these - not handheld but very cool. I have every game ever made for it, plus the uber rare electro-mechanical 3D visor that goes with it for use on a couple of specific titles. A point awarded for anyone who knows what it is:

So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post

And one of these - not handheld but very cool. I have every game ever made for it, plus the uber rare electro-mechanical 3D visor that goes with it for use on a couple of specific titles. A point awarded for anyone who knows what it is:

Wow! Fantastically presented and in very good condition!

- - - Updated - - -

with regards to the OP...sounds like very good advertising for eBay.

Journeyman
    sweet man cave

I'd best dust these down and get them on eBay quick then!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post

Looks like a Vectrex to me ? I used to have one and most of the games, loved it :)