closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 36mm Railmaster

36mm Railmaster

Hi chaps, a quick couple of questions about what I gather is a quite hard to find model.

I'm interested in a 36mm Railmaster as a possible change from my AT Quartz in 38.5mm.

How much, if anyone knows, do they tend to go for? And roughly what would the value of my AT Quartz (38.5mm version with applied markers, with box and warranty from Watchfinder)?

What is the height of the 36mm version, I assume its going to be close to the ~11mm of my AT?

I love the dial as on the SM300

Ta

The Railmaster is such a classic. It took me two years to find one and I don't think I'll ever let mine go.

*If* you can find one, they seem to go for around £1600-£1900, depending on condition and accessories.

As for dimensions, these use the same case as the Aqua Terra of the same era, so any numbers you find for that model will apply. I don't have the measurements handy right now, but it wears very thin in my experience.

Mine says hello:

AT quartz generally tend to go for around £1000

Lovely, thanks for the help chaps

Is there any reason the 36mm Railmaster model in particular was not very popular? I guess its the same reason the 36mm Aqua Terra model was discontinued, on the size was not popular rather than design or cost?

The Railmaster seems a direct competitor to the Rolex Explorer 1 but a good deal cheaper and the 36mm version seems popular.

Craftsman
    As you say, there are similarities to the Explorer, but that's a very nice watch in its own right, I've not come across it before. I have the Exp but would be happy with either of these. I think 36mm is a real sweet spot in terms of dimensions/proportions for this style of watch, but it does seem to be considered small today.

Good luck on finding one if you decide to go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by gary1064 View Post
    As you say, there are similarities to the Explorer, but that's a very nice watch in its own right, I've not come across it before. I have the Exp but would be happy with either of these. I think 36mm is a real sweet spot in terms of dimensions/proportions for this style of watch, but it does seem to be considered small today.

Good luck on finding one if you decide to go for it.
    Looks like its going to be a long search!

Journeyman
    Love the shape of the hands, very versatile watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Regular View Post
    Love the shape of the hands, very versatile watch.
    It is indeed! One thing to note about the hands - of all the various Aqua Terra three-handers ever produced by Omega, the Railmaster is the one that has by far the most lume on the hour and minute hands.

Quote Originally Posted by workahol View Post
    It is indeed! One thing to note about the hands - of all the various Aqua Terra three-handers ever produced by Omega, the Railmaster is the one that has by far the most lume on the hour and minute hands.
    This is my only real complaint on the AT Quartz (and my 120m) is the lume is not great on the hands body. You can see the lume on the ends of the hands, just, and the dial but its not the easiest to read. The Railmaster however looks excellent.

I like how the dial is a little less flashy on the Railmaster over the Seamaster models.

Quote Originally Posted by hoopsontoast View Post
    This is my only real complaint on the AT Quartz (and my 120m) is the lume is not great on the hands body. You can see the lume on the ends of the hands, just, and the dial but its not the easiest to read.
    Agreed, I also own an AT8500 and the lack of lume is my biggest gripe.

If you can get ahold of the parts, here's how one TZ'er modified his AT with RM hands:

Personally speaking, I wish they came that way from the factory!

Quote Originally Posted by workahol View Post
    Agreed, I also own an AT8500 and the lack of lume is my biggest gripe.

If you can get ahold of the parts, here's how one TZ'er modified his AT with RM hands:

Personally speaking, I wish they came that way from the factory!
    Very nice, looks really good with the Railmaster hands! A blue AT 36.2mm is my fall back plan should I not find a Railmaster of the same size.

Grand Master
    I`m amazed people take the lume on a watch so seriously, I very rarely need it. I see it as having novelty value and not much more, I only relume hands to make them look nicer.

As for the 36mm Aqua Terras, I owned a couple and really liked them, an ideal size for me. I now own a 38.5mm 8500 but I`d still prefer the blue-dialled 36.2mm early version I foolishly sold.

The 36mm Railmaster is one I`d like to own too, I turned one down several years ago and I`ve always regretted it. They're hard to find thesedays and they're not cheap. After several years wear and tear many aren`t in great condition and there's the added complexity of needing to service the infernal co-axial movement to consider.

Paul

I consider the Railmaster a modern day classic.
    I've got a 39mm version and doubt I'll ever sell it.....
    I love the clean dial- just a great looking watch.

Im pretty sure the 36mm railmaster is quite a rare watch as it wasnt so popular when it was in production!

I'll be honest, when I was researching my AT, I did not really notice the Railmaster at all until the last few months.