closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Underpants are at the Dry Cleaners! - Why everyone should fit a dashcam!

Craftsman

My Underpants are at the Dry Cleaners! - Why everyone should fit a dashcam!

Some flipping chap tried to kill me yesterday as I drove to a meeting. Thankfully I drive a farm tractor (AKA Defender 90 :)) and was going up hill so was only doing 50 mpg.
    If you look at the top corner rear camera video you can see him loose it, how he missed my rear quarter I'll never know. He passed me sideways!
    Thats the second time in a few weeks that my dash cam has captured a brown pants moment! If he had hit me the footage would have been invaluable.
    To give the guy his due he was very apologetic, I was just glad he actually got out of the car. I can't even watch Holby City on the TV so had no desire to see his insides on the dashboard!

https://youtu.be/c1t_dHzijP0

Exciting (in a bad way)!

To be honest, though, how often do you see that?

I've been driving 35 years and I've seen an accident like that ONCE (20+ years ago), so the odds on a dashcam earning its cost aren't high.

In your case, though, it provided some great footage!

M.

I like the recommended videos following that clip: "powersliding with the Tokyo drifters".

Craftsman
    What Dashcam do you have there? Been looking into them since Tuesday when some clown tried to overtake and subsequently cut me up on a filter lane and then sanctimoniously pointed at his Dashcam as he was doing so.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    What Dashcam do you have there? Been looking into them since Tuesday when some clown tried to overtake and subsequently cut me up on a filter lane and then sanctimoniously pointed at his Dashcam as he was doing so.
    This one. I'm really impressed with it.

http://www.blackvue.com/dr650gw-2ch/

Master
    bend coming up, wet road, lots of torque and power, rear wheel drive, do Monaros not have traction control?

I had this one yesterday, I couldn't get into the outside lane due to traffic coming up and she just pulled out, I had to go from 70 down to 46 mph.... YouTube has compressed the vid quality down somewhat.
    I was quite ready for it though, I hope she shit her pants to see me looming up.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I had this one yesterday, I couldn't get into the outside lane due to traffic coming up and she just pulled out, I had to go from 70 down to 46 mph.... YouTube has compressed the vid quality down somewhat.
    I was quite ready for it though, I hope she shit her pants to see me looming up.
    I can almost guarantee, she didn't even realise what nearly happened.
    Come across similar a few times people turning right from the right into the lane I'm in.
    They come flying out the junction to get across the oncoming lane, jump straight in front of me (or a couple of cars ahead) then for some daft reason slow right down well below the speed of the traffic. Luckily I've had a sixth sense about it (so far) so backed off before any collision

Quote Originally Posted by K300 View Post
    bend coming up, wet road, lots of torque and power, rear wheel drive, do Monaros not have traction control?
    Haven't you seen TG, watched Monkey Harris' videos or read Evo? Real men don't use traction control!

M

Master
    She wouldn't have even noticed you were there.

Grand Master
    The driver clearly didn't.

Traction control would have controlled the car to a degree, allowing the driver - who clearly had no skill - to use the full performance envelope of the Monaro, which is waaay to much for the road, the conditions, the era, frankly.

This outcome - ruined car, damaged public property, dreadful shame, but no broken bones - was the best one all round. What I'm only sorry about is that the fool will not learn his lesson, go out and buy something overpowered and German with better traction control, and do it all again. Oh well!
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Barney, the road looks familiar. Is this near Exeter Racecourse, at the top of Haldon Hill? I'm glad you and your car are alright though.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt.D View Post
    Barney, the road looks familiar. Is this near Exeter Racecourse, at the top of Haldon Hill? I'm glad you and your car are alright though.
    Looking at the map it appears to be the windy section before the race course, going towards Exeter (I'm from Exeter but live up North).

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post

Traction control would have controlled the car to a degree, allowing the driver - who clearly had no skill - to use the full performance envelope of the Monaro, which is waaay to much for the road, the conditions, the era, frankly.
    So what you basically write is that an electronic performance castrating device is essential for powerful cars on current public roads?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I had this one yesterday,
    I would not even register one like that.
    You guys must live in motorist quality heaven if you think this merits mentioning.

Tbh I think she was quite safe. Could have accelerated a bit more earlier but you could have lifted earlier too.
    Modern traffic is rather dense so give and take inevitable and good driving.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt.D View Post
    Yes, the notorious Harcombe Bends as you head up Haldon Hill towards Exeter.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    I would not even register one like that.
    You guys must live in motorist quality heaven if you think this merits mentioning.

Tbh I think she was quite safe. Could have accelerated a bit more earlier but you could have lifted earlier too.
    Modern traffic is rather dense so give and take inevitable and good driving.
    It wasn't safe, for me to have to almost half my speed it clearly wasn't safe, not as safe as waiting for a clear exit, I agree that it normally wouldn't have merited a mention and I wouldn't have if it wasn't for this thread.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Blog Entries
    Love the fact that the car behind (and probably the HGV) didn't seem to be bothered at all and wanted to just get on their way - I appreciate that they might not be too bothered given the circumstances but you would have thought they would've at least taken 30 seconds to make sure the Monaro driver was OK before making off.

BMW? RWD and renowned for going sideways in anything other than bone-dry.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Love the fact that the car behind (and probably the HGV) didn't seem to be bothered at all and wanted to just get on their way - I appreciate that they might not be too bothered given the circumstances but you would have thought they would've at least taken 30 seconds to make sure the Monaro driver was OK before making off.
    Other than me not one person stopped. When I went to leave the scene it took me a good couple of minutes to get into the flow of traffic as no one would let me out!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    No a Monaro. I've never heard of one before this one tried to kill me but it appears to be a rear wheel drive V8 5.7ltr (or 6ltr if it was a vxr) Vauxhall.
    What could possibly go wrong!! :)

This outcome - ruined car, damaged public property, dreadful shame, but no broken bones - was the best one all round. What I'm only sorry about is that the fool will not learn his lesson, go out and buy something overpowered and German with better traction control, and do it all again. Oh well!
    Pricks like this should get a lifetime ban. It's fair enough to drive beyond your ability on a race track but to put the lives of others in danger on public roads should be dealt with harshly.

It wasn't safe, for me to have to almost half my speed it clearly wasn't safe, not as safe as waiting for a clear exit, I agree that it normally wouldn't have merited a mention and I wouldn't have if it wasn't for this thread.
    I agree Jason, not safe. I think the prevailing attitude among more drivers in the UK is the other party will take the necessary avoiding action.

I still think the majority of road users in the UK are generally better than our EU or Eastern counterparts. I hate driving in HK for example. Basic method of driving is to never look behind/check mirrors, just avoid what you see ahead. A little like your old lady pulling out when a faster vehicle is approaching - you sort it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney12 View Post
    No a Monaro. I've never heard of one before this one tried to kill me but it appears to be a rear wheel drive V8 5.7ltr (or 6ltr if it was a vxr) Vauxhall.
    What could possibly go wrong!! :)
    Ha ha, indeed.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Pricks like this should get a lifetime ban. It's fair enough to drive beyond your ability on a race track but to put the lives of others in danger on public roads should be dealt with harshly.
    Bring out the tar and feather!!!!!

Are you aware that quite a few here drive faster cars, even trickier ones, have lost a bag of points and many a member has had to go to obligatory drivers re-education?!

How fast was the bloke going?
    Did not seem all THAT much nor much of a curve nor was the road flooded. Those are the factors in play; the amount of HP on tap to go faster is not an issue.
    I suspect that his rear rubber has seen better days and modern mega wides get tricky fast in the wet.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Ok, we agree.
    She could have done better but not worth a second thought.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    When I went to leave the scene it took me a good couple of minutes to get into the flow of traffic as no one would let me out!
    Teaches you not to wait at the end ;-)

Seriously, that mentality of not stopping or not letting you in is by far the most dangerous. That callous egoism is way more problematic than a lady not having enough guts to dash down an entry lane or a driver making a mistake.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Exciting (in a bad way)!

To be honest, though, how often do you see that?

I've been driving 35 years and I've seen an accident like that ONCE (20+ years ago), so the odds on a dashcam earning its cost aren't high.

In your case, though, it provided some great footage!

M.
    Saw one across my bows Friday. M23/25, five lanes 90 degrees into barriers as close as that one. No one hurt!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    I can almost guarantee, she didn't even realise what nearly happened.
    Come across similar a few times people turning right from the right into the lane I'm in.
    They come flying out the junction to get across the oncoming lane, jump straight in front of me (or a couple of cars ahead) then for some daft reason slow right down well below the speed of the traffic. Luckily I've had a sixth sense about it (so far) so backed off before any collision
    Frightening and almost certainly correct, roundabout dithering is another characteristic of a lot of female drivers.
    Last edited by KavKav; 12th May 2016 at 22:21.

Bring out the tar and feather!!!!!

Are you aware that quite a few here drive faster cars, even trickier ones, have lost a bag of points and many a member has had to go to obligatory drivers re-education?!
    Quite aware. I've been on the speed awareness course myself and own a rear wheel drive car. Yet I've never managed to point it the wrong way down the road despite driving thousands of miles on wet and winding roads.

Master
    Published on 12 May 2016
    Dashcam footage of a Honda loosing control in wet weather and crashing.
    Presumably you mean Holden, even though the title states Vauxhall?
    And we’ll say nothing about your inability to choose the correct version of ‘loose’, ‘lose’, ‘loss’, as well…!

Master
    To be fair, it’s not a ‘Give Way’, but a merging slip lane (albeit a relatively short one), and it could be just as easily said that you weren’t reading the road ahead sufficiently.
    The driver, like most others nowadays, is bloody heart-scared of accelerating hard to get up to speed and close to matching that of those around them.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Presumably you mean Holden, even though the title states Vauxhall?
    And we’ll say nothing about your inability to choose the correct version of ‘loose’, ‘lose’, ‘loss’, as well…!
    Yes, I originally thought it was a Honda. It looked like a Honda to me!
    Good to see the grammar/spelling police are alive and well ;)
    'my bad' as the Americans would say!

im assuming it wasn't a duel carriageway, was he overtaking approaching a bend

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    im assuming it wasn't a duel carriageway, was he overtaking approaching a bend
    It's a dual carriageway. But it's a section through a steep hill and bends where the two carriageways are split.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    To be fair, it’s not a ‘Give Way’, but a merging slip lane (albeit a relatively short one), and it could be just as easily said that you weren’t reading the road ahead sufficiently.
    The driver, like most others nowadays, is bloody heart-scared of accelerating hard to get up to speed and close to matching that of those around them.
    The way I see it, road users are in general driving with a dangerous attitude instead of anticipating and polite, making the careful attitude of some quite reasonable.

So what if someone pussyfoots over a roundabout? Is it a race??
    There is by and large no minimum speed

And all those perfect drivers here come on, never made a mistake yourself? Never had a near miss saved by someone else??

Master
    Quite aware. I've been on the speed awareness course myself and own a rear wheel drive car. Yet I've never managed to point it the wrong way down the road despite driving thousands of miles on wet and winding roads.
    Obviously you're not trying hard enough. How do you know where your or your car's limit is, if you don't cross it at least once.

Craftsman
    The Monaro was a Holden (read: GM Australia) invention. I'm guessing you don't need TC when the roads are like sandpaper and dry 364 out of 365 down under!

Master
    The way I see it, road users are in general driving with a dangerous attitude instead of anticipating and polite, making the careful attitude of some quite reasonable.

So what if someone pussyfoots over a roundabout? Is it a race??
    There is by and large no minimum speed

And all those perfect drivers here come on, never made a mistake yourself? Never had a near miss saved by someone else??
    It's a hazard in itself, if you hesitate on a driving test, you fail

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, I have done tens of thousands of those, LOVE drifting it daily and got it pointing the wrong way just last week. Going 40 km/h where 60 is allowed; gently accelerating up a busy highway entry. Apparently oil had risen to the surface on the recent rain. I dropped the clutch the moment I heard it light up but....
    The rubber is on the worn side but nowhere near the limit. Too silly wide though so a new set is under way.
    Moral of the story is that even doing everything apparently correct, it can still go bottoms up. I was lucky that it was single lane so did not clobber anyone.

Btw. I get the occasional nutter making obscene gestures because I usually drive slower than the max. permitted. Like cruising 80 on a provincial through road where 100 is permitted. Yes, also 90 on the 120 highway.
    Getting onto one I obviously do not accelerate up to 100 or 120 either and am thus bound to be perceived as a 'hindrance' to SOMEone
    I smile and doff my imaginary hat.

Master
    You've done tens of thousands of speed awareness courses?

If you've been told once you've been told a million times not to exaggerate

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Schofie View Post
    You've done tens of thousands of speed awareness courses?

If you've been told once you've been told a million times not to exaggerate

Indeed; don't exaggerate. May the posters here take note

I have done all sorts of advanced training, including high speed chase, have all possible driver's licenses and keep the traning up to date.
    Untill recently drove the local emergency vehicle.
    Also raced for 23 years, both on closed circuits and enduros/raids. Still do the occasional rally/raid but don't count the 10 years of that.
    We currently have 3 rwd cars and looking to buy a 4th. for drifting fun and a dash cam will be fitted to that one
    The one linked to in this thread seems cool. I don't have a smart phone but my son will LOVE it.

My point is that whatever/whichever/however good/experienced you think you are; we ALL make the occasional mistake and also sh@t happens.
    Relax and be polite
    That does more good than a dash cam and finger pointing to all the rest.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Erm, not since the 1980s, gramps :)

Grand Master
    Oh. And?
    How fast was the bloke going?
    Too fast for his extremely limited skills, and possibly poor maintenance of his vehicle (and I disagree with your assertion that too much bhp was not a factor). Either way, the fool deserved what he got, and I hope it hurt.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Either way, the fool deserved what he got, and I hope it hurt.
    You Sir, with that kind of mentality should imo not be allowed to drive a car on the public roads.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Erm, not since the 1980s, gramps :)
    Ever so polite I see.

The bloke running the historic gardens of La Concepcion in Malaga totalled his new 2015. After only a few months of joy he had a one sided accident in a corner; commuting over his daily route he spun it on a wet road and hit the mountain.
    He admits he drove it wrong; like his Audis and he is in an Audi again.

Ever so polite I see.

The bloke running the historic gardens of La Concepcion in Malaga totalled his new 2015. After only a few months of joy he had a one sided accident in a corner; commuting over his daily route he spun it on a wet road and hit the mountain.
    He admits he drove it wrong; like his Audis and he is in an Audi again.
    But when it come to driving ability the Spanish are only a smidgen in front of the Portuguese

Master
    Too many people who are into cars think that getting the back out on a public road makes them a bit of a hero "arm full of opp'o lock" no idea what they are talking about. Same people probably think traction control will save their a8se. News flash, when traction is completely gone it can't be controlled, at that point you are a passenger in a car reversing towards the scene of you're next accident.

Nothing wrong with some powerful RWD cars. The problem is that too many idiots buy them because it's seen as the macho drivers choice. A lot of such cars are actually rubbish in a lot of ways.

'my bad' as the Americans would say!
    * 'My bad'

I smile and doff my imaginary hat.
    Have you given up on the real ones then?

M.