closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Head-to-Head: Precista PRS-18A vs MkII Paradive

Head-to-Head: Precista PRS-18A vs MkII Paradive

As a long time owner of a MkII Paradive and having very recently acquired a Precista PRS-18A, I thought some sort of comparison of the two might be in order. Anyone who might be interested to read my owner's perspective on the two can do so here.

Martin
    Last edited by MartinCRC; 4th March 2018 at 17:28.

An excellent read, thanks for posting.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    A great review Martin, thanks for sharing. If at any point you decide to move on 'the marginal loser' I will happily give it a new home!

I think the PRS-18 is the best thing Eddie's done (out of a strong field, I might add) and it's not surprising to see it preferred to a watch five times its price. Good write-up.

Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    I think the PRS-18 is the best thing Eddie's done and it's not surprising to see it preferred to a watch five times its price. Good write-up.
    I agree, although whether it is the best, or the best resolved is perhaps a matter for debate. I would say the Smiths PRS-29A runs it pretty close both in terms of absolute quality and in the coherence of its design (although I've not handled one).

Martin

Edit: Elimination of a typo (see Seikopath's post below)
    Last edited by MartinCRC; 19th May 2016 at 09:12.

Excellent review and an educational read. Thank you. :)

Thanks for going to the effort- nice review
    Goat

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC View Post
    Smiths PRS-20A
    not sure which watch you mean? do you mean the prs20 'italian'?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Only just spotted this after being alerted in The BP.

Very enjoyable review with fantastic pictures. Excellent work dissecting these two desirable military homages for us, my 18A is a firm favourite already so I'll add a Paradive to my wanted list

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    not sure which watch you mean? do you mean the prs20 'italian'?
    Sorry - slip of the finger. I meant the PRS-29A.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by TimeOut View Post
    Only just spotted this after being alerted in The BP.

Very enjoyable review with fantastic pictures. Excellent work dissecting these two desirable military homages for us, my 18A is a firm favourite already so I'll add a Paradive to my wanted list
    Thank you. It seems like a bit of an indulgence to have both, with one in particular not getting much in the way of wrist time but somehow the extent to which I view the Paradive as surplus to my requirements never quite tips me to the point of actively trying to move it on.

Martin

Thanks, that was an enjoyable read.

Thanks Martin; a fine review.

Like you I am lucky enough to own both of these. Like you I have skinny wrists (and I suspect of a smaller diameter) however my long term ownership watch out of the pair is the 18A.

No doubt you can guess where this is going; my most worn is the Mk II. I think it is because the line of the crystal and bezel is a low curve rather than the "cliff like" bezel edge of the 18A that you refer to.

Agree with your observations on quality of finish and overall general feel of the pieces and I would not part with my 18A (one of the first batch which contained a Swiss movement) despite the presence of Mr Yao's offering. The PRS 18 in both guises offers great value in the current market and is a quality product.

The Mk II seems better assembled; but only just, at a much higher price point.

I suspect I might arrive at a different conclusion comparing the PRS 18 to the Blackwater (MKII's; Mk I version of this model) that you mentioned.

Good review. I had a MKII before getting my ETA powered PRS18a which I much prefer despite the lack of a date window, but that's just personal preference.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I like that review, well done.

If you were at any point to edit it, I would suggest you replace 'formally' with 'formerly' but that's my OCD :)

Quote Originally Posted by halfscrew View Post

The Mk II seems better assembled; but only just, at a much higher price point.
    I don't see one or other as being the better assembled. It's just that a number of aspects of the MkII justify, at least to some extent, the price differential: the dial quality and print; the bezel insert; the slightly sharper lines throughout and of course, the more expensive movement. The cumulative effect for me is to make the MkII feel like the more expensive watch but not really to the extent that the price difference would suggest should be the case.

Martin
    Last edited by MartinCRC; 31st May 2016 at 12:50.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    I like that review, well done.

If you were at any point to edit it, I would suggest you replace 'formally' with 'formerly' but that's my OCD :)
    Thank you. I frequently come across typos of this type when I go back and re-read some of my posts but this one slipped through the net. Now fixed!

Martin

Craftsman
    Excellent comparison; I keep coming back to my PRS18, either as a tool watch or, with a slightly dressier strap, even for business functions.

Thread revival !!!!

A very interesting read that makes me appreciate my PRS18 even more.