closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you don't like old Rolex 5513s, don't click....

Blog Entries
    I do like modern art and American cars. Expensive clothes not so much. If I did SC would be my one stop shop. Size 7 shoes and XXL Belstaff jackets. Just need to shrink and add five stones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I have to add that the bezel insert on that 6536-1 is just wonderful.
    Or just an old bezel? Rolex heathen maybe but I really can't see the wonder in it. The ownership and history of a vintage watch are more obviously interesting to me.....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    Although I personally don't see the attraction it is clear that vintage Rolex in particular resonate on the forum. PS if I ever find a milsub for sale at a grand, in the forum spirit I will sell on at that price

The surprising thing about vintage Rolex is that most of them are so much better on the wrist than in photographs, for me the opposite is true about the modern offerings, stupidly I ventured into modern Rolex first but luckily quickly got out, unless you try vintage its difficult to put into words why they are so appealing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Or just an old bezel? Rolex heathen maybe but I really can't see the wonder in it. The ownership and history of a vintage watch are more obviously interesting to me.....
    At the risk of sounding like an M&S advert, it's not just a bezel, it's a very rare, original bezel with no minute markers from 0-15 and a red triangle at 12. It comprises perhaps over a third of the value of this watch.

It is also just an old bezel.

Neither view precludes the other or can be claimed to be "correct."

H

Master
    Thoroughly enjoyable insight and photos. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Ten to Two please, pictures like this do my OCD no good at all

Haywood - Could I ask what are your feelings about the double Swiss, one matching the aged lume while the other looks pure white?
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 11th May 2016 at 01:03.

Master
    It is the light alone making it seem so pristine. It is aged silver under a loupe --- and exactly as it should be.

Yes, ten to two is nice but I'm actually wearing it and want to see what the time-keeping is like. At ten to two I shall be taking luncheon and will not be disturbed by trade matters.

H

An excellent thread - thank you for posting, and thank you too for defending your position so well. Nice to see a high level of discourse on here!

Master
    At the risk of sounding like an M&S advert, it's not just a bezel, it's a very rare, original bezel...
    H
    Ha ha. Wonderful in that it survives the wearer and servicing I can understand so thanks (both). I've no doubt you're enjoying wearing it too which is wonderful in my eyes.

Many congratulations Haywood, a fantastic addition to the collection, it goes to show they are still out there..... Do you have a original bezel ( or insert ) for it?

Craftsman
    What a great thread and a lovely watch - I love the stories of how these appear etc. Thanks for posting.

Master
    i confess to having no knowledge of older subs but i really do like that watch..

Master
    Wow, rare one Haywood, nice catch

Lovely watch - congrats

Interesting you say you don't buy your vintage watches through your pawnbroking business. I recall reading on your pawnbroking business website some years back something about a red sub and happily buying them all day long at x price.

I haven't checked if the page is still there, but you'll know which page I mean.

Master
    That's lovely.
    What's the story behind the PCG, I've never seen them on a 5513 before?

Master
    How bizarre that they printed Swiss twice on the dial

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowdon View Post
    Lovely watch - congrats

Interesting you say you don't buy your vintage watches through your pawnbroking business. I recall reading on your pawnbroking business website some years back something about a red sub and happily buying them all day long at x price.

I haven't checked if the page is still there, but you'll know which page I mean.
    Thankyou.

I actually said "While I do run four pawnbroking stores, not a single one of my collection came from the pawnbroking departments."

Furthermore, our website has always served the different sides of the business, including the large retail sales, secondhand and valuation sections.

Buying is not pawnbroking, the latter being a very different transaction and one in which about 85% of items are reclaimed by the original borrower. I have had some amazing pieces in pawn, but they have mostly been reclaimed and only one or two lower value pieces sold --- at open market value as the law required of us.

Indeed, I would advertise for as many people as possible to come and sell vintage Rolex to us or to borrow money against them.

This does not change the fact that when I look at the collection I don't see a single watch which has arisen from a pawnbroking loan.

Haywood
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 11th May 2016 at 13:14.

As always i am in awe of these wonderful, rare and valuable watches

I do like to imagine the bods at Rolex HQ purposely making minor (sometimes quite odd) changes knowing somehow what the implications would be in the future

super piece, shame about the new bezel and insert, but no doubt you'll find something matching soon....

I do like to imagine the bods at Rolex HQ purposely making minor (sometimes quite odd) changes knowing somehow what the implications would be in the future
    More the fact Rolex was more of a cottage industry in the 60s compared to what it is now...
    Last edited by Xantiagib; 11th May 2016 at 15:40.

Master
    Another heathen here.

Whilst I am fascinated by the history of such vintage watches and I am not disputing the value and rarity I just wouldn't want one for myself.

Master
    That's lovely. Many thanks for sharing.

Lovely Find Haywood. Contrats. A rare thing indeed. Especially loved the fact the original crown was still in place.

Now you simply have to find a fat font insert just to make it perfect - even if does it costs a grand (or so)

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Congrats Haywood,

Look what you did, you convinced me to make my first post here. I'm a complete novice having just joined the Rolex club.

I however am in complete awe at your acquisition. Double well done to you sir.

So I'll keep things civil, I'll sign off with a quote from the well known episode "Bart the genius":

Eat my shorts.
    More on that another time.

Thanks for sharing
    Tapapttap

Sent from my Vodafone 890N using Tapatalk

I can understand how they add to the complete package, but is there a high monetary value attached to twinlock crowns in their own right?
    How much do they go for?

Edit @tony

You meant the twin lock on its own then please disregard the below. I operate best when saturated with coffee in the mornings. I'm still on my first cup. . z Z

Never see a double Swiss for sale, I think someone mentioned there is one in the next Phillips, read back in the thread. My 5513, is nothing like the unicorn we here, but it wasn't cheap. Google is you friend, lux index will give you auction prises so will Antiqurioum. But to get a nice one in the wild you'll have to be lucky.

Just as with any hard to find watch you want to own, buy the one you can find then try and improve. That how I got mine.

Hope that will give an idea.
    Tapaptpat

Sent from my Vodafone 890N using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TapAptPat; 12th May 2016 at 07:42.

Not taken my 5513 off in over a month.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    For those interested, there is one inGeneva Watch Auction on Phillips watches.
    Looks in much better nick ( not sure if it is all original) , their estimate CHF 40,000-80,000.
    Would be interesting to see what it goes for.
    I prefer this one for the record. The one on the auction site looks too clean.
    A real treasure this one.
    Understandably, HM may not be inclined to tell us how it landed on his desk or what he paid for it but would be interesting to know.
    Regardless, many thanks for sharing it here. The world of vintage subs and SDs is very alluring.
    Just resurrecting this thread for anyone interested. The Double Swiss in the Geneva Watch Auction went for CHF 137,000. Scroll down to "15 of 17", Lot 106.

http://www.hodinkee.com/articles/rec...eid=f3d759346b

Craftsman
    - - - Updated - - -

What a beautiful watch - as said by others, congratulations!

Apprentice
    Excellent watch, thank you for text and photos!

Craftsman
    Fantastic watch !

Craftsman
    Awesome find. Great looking patina. Metres first with a history on its own. Every vintage Rolex collector's dream.

Never mind the insert and bracelet. I am sure in due course a suitable insert will come your way.

Banned
    I very much enjoy your informative posts, why did they put Swiss on it twice?

I am in the I don't quite get the old Rolex attraction camp.

But then you may ask why I started drooling at a very old British motorcycle,never refurbished and dripping with patina(and oil) at a bike show on Tuesday.

quite partial to a double-swiss - way more affordable too:

In the (slightly twisted) words of Vesper Lynd.......Omega? No ... Rolex.... beautifalll....

Craftsman
    This landed on my desk today, a 5513 with case number under a million, III.63 case back and 1530 calibre. London service marks from 1971. It may have a new bezel and bracelet, but the gilt and silver double-SWISS dial with underline, PCG and crown all tickled me !

Values may be unpleasantly high, but these are rare little birds.

Haywood M
    It had a hard life.