closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Speedmaster bracelet problem.

Speedmaster bracelet problem.

I just had a look at my Speedmaster professional and noticed that a metal pin has gone missing from a link an d wondered whether anyone could suggest someone who might be able to offer a repair service. I don't want to have to purchase a new bracelet, can't imagine how dear one would be..... Thanks for any asistance.

Wouldn't it be worth popping into one of the Omega ADs and asking if they can help - I am sure they would be able to fix it quickly and cheaply.

I note that you are in North London, why not ring the main Omega Boutique in Central London and if they can help then pop along to get it fixed.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 3rd May 2016 at 22:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Wouldn't it be worth popping into one of the Omega ADs and asking if they can help - I am sure they would be able to fix it quickly and cheaply.
    That may be a plan but the pin seems to need to be driven in to the bracelet and the outer surface then polished to render it flush.

<br>
    That may be a plan but the pin seems to need to be driven in to the bracelet and the outer surface then polished to render it flush.

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    Regardless of what needs doing, these guys know what they are doing and will have the tools to do it.

I don't understand how the bracelet has stayed on if the pin has come out? Also there is no polishing required. The pin just gets pushed and fits into a collar which is in the middle of the link.

The newer speedy pro bracelets have screws and are not the pin/collar type. Is it one of these?
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 3rd May 2016 at 22:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    I don't understand how the bracelet has stayed on if the pin has come out? Also there is no polishing required. The pin just gets pushed and fits into a collar which is in the middle of the link. '

The newer speedy pro bracelets have screws and are not the pin/collar type. Is it one of these?
    It isn't one of the adjustment pins, it is one of fixed (supposedly) pins securing the other unadjustable links., the ones nearer the watch end of the bracelet rather than the clasp ends.
    Last edited by notnowkato; 3rd May 2016 at 22:39.

It isn't one of the adjustment pins, it is one of fixed (supposedly) pins securing the other unadjustable links., the ones nearer the watch end of the bracelet rather than the clasp ends.
    Ahh, now I see (I need sleep). As said above then. Drop into the boutique (Regent Street have a watch technician on site). I'm sure it's an easy enough fix with the right tools/know how.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    Ahh, now I see (I need sleep). As said above then. Drop into the boutique (Regent Street have a watch technician on site). I'm sure it's an easy enough fix with the right tools/know how.
    Will do thanks and sleep tight. ...

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    If you can't get help immediately from Omega, just try and find a roll pin of the correct diameter, push it in, and bobs your uncle. You could cut it to the correct length, before you push it in. A temporary measure would be to cut a spring bar to the correct length, curve it between two spoon bowls, and push that in. The curve will provide an interference fit which is normally very secure.

Quote Originally Posted by doug darter View Post
    If you can't get help immediately from Omega, just try and find a roll pin of the correct diameter, push it in, and bobs your uncle. You could cut it to the correct length, before you push it in. A temporary measure would be to cut a spring bar to the correct length, curve it between two spoon bowls, and push that in. The curve will provide an interference fit which is normally very secure.
    Thanks , that is a helpful suggestion, liking the way of putting a curve in the bar, won't be using the best silver for that little exercise !!

Master
    Just take it to an Omega Boutique and they will sort it for you. I've used them numerous times for non-warranty stuff.

Off to Omega Boutique then, will report on the result .

Master
    I took my PO in last week to get them to check the screws were all tight as the bracelet had come apart, was my fault as I'd fitted a half link and not tightened them enough. Told them this and they were more than happy to help which is unusual in this day and age :)

Master

I note that you are in North London, why not ring the main Omega Boutique in Central London and if they can help then pop along to get it fixed.
    I am sure these guys will look after you, if they cannot do it themselves they can direct you to someone who can.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchmad View Post
    I took my PO in last week to get them to check the screws were all tight as the bracelet had come apart, was my fault as I'd fitted a half link and not tightened them enough. Told them this and they were more than happy to help which is unusual in this day and age :)
    That's why I always use a tiny dab of loktite.....and so do Omega when they assemble them. It's there for a reason.

Paul

Well, Back from Regent Street and have been told they can do nothing for me !! So a self repair is looking the way to go, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    That's why I always use a tiny dab of loktite.....and so do Omega when they assemble them. It's there for a reason.

Paul
    It isn't an issue with the adjustable bit of the band, one of the fixed pins has gone missing, Loctite wouldn't be any help here as they are in interference fit, it seems

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    Thanks , that is a helpful suggestion, liking the way of putting a curve in the bar, won't be using the best silver for that little exercise !!
    Let us know how you get on if you try it. I've used this trick before, and it actully became a permanent fix, and invisible for all intents and purposes.

Master
    I'm suprised no one has mentioned Brendon or Seth I would have thought either of these two could make short work of this.

This is my short term solution

Grand Master
    I've worked on plenty of bracelets but I'm struggling to get my head around this one without a picture. Sure, the fixed links are pinned together but usually they are extremely tight and nigh- on impossible to separate. I tried it and gave up on a similar bracelet. The ones I've come across don't go through the whole link, they're a blind fit on the inside with a knurled end. If they get very worn these pins could break in the middle, but if that was the case the whole bracelet would be worn out to such an extent that it's better replaced.

I'd be surprised if this isn't repairable but it might need a bit of skill and innovation (aka fannying about). The Omega shops don't get involved in stuff like that, even if it isn't too difficult.

My comments re Loktite apply to screws.......... I'm not daft enough to try securing pins with Loktite.

Paul

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchmad View Post
    Just take it to an Omega Boutique and they will sort it for you.
    Only if the repair is simple enough for a monkey to fix. Very few have a proper repairer on site.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 5th May 2016 at 21:47.

I've worked on plenty of bracelets but I'm struggling to get my head around this one without a picture. Sure, the fixed links are pinned together but usually they are extremely tight and nigh- on impossible to separate. I tried it and gave up on a similar bracelet. The ones I've come across don't go through the whole link, they're a blind fit on the inside with a knurled end. If they get very worn these pins could break in the middle, but if that was the case the whole bracelet would be worn out to such an extent that it's better replaced.

I'd be surprised if this isn't repairable but it might need a bit of skill and innovation (aka fannying about). The Omega shops don't get involved in stuff like that, even if it isn't too difficult.

My comments re Loktite apply to screws.......... I'm not daft enough to try securing pins with Loktite.

Paul
    Paul
    I will take some photos and post them. Looking carefully at the polished sides of the link, it is possible to see the ends of the pins which go through the links. I imagine they originally go right through and the ends ground off before polishing the sides of the links. I assume the pins are an interference fit in the outer links and a running fit in the centre links , to allow the bracelet to flex. The attached shows where the polished ends of the pins are visible, although this not the exact bracelet.
    Last edited by notnowkato; 5th May 2016 at 13:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Thanks Cap'n. I will be tackling Seth with this job. Grateful for the tot of info. Have the riots in Trumpton subsided now?

Journeyman
    omega boutique will be the way forward

-Jack

Last edited by notnowkato; 5th May 2016 at 20:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaacck View Post

-Jack
    Sadly not, went there and was told that they couldn't help. Not surprised really, the thing is 25 years old !! Maybe you missed the earlier bits of this post but thanks for the thought ??

Quote Originally Posted by Jaacck View Post

-Jack
    And reading threads before replying might also be a way forward

I'm still scratching my head trying to work out how this pin came loose? They're almost welded in.

A hammer might be the answer

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I'm still scratching my head trying to work out how this pin came loose? They're almost welded in.
    Me too, I can`t imagine one of these parting company with the outer end of the link, I really can`t. Has it come loose or has it simply worn through. If the bracelet's 25 years old maybe the right answer is a new one; before spending money repairing it I'd be having a serious look at the overall condition. They can be made to look cosmetically OK even when they're badly worn; I've refused to refinish/refurbish a couple of Omega bracelets for this reason, basically they were knackered.

Paul

Me too, I can`t imagine one of these parting company with the outer end of the link, I really can`t. Has it come loose or has it simply worn through. If the bracelet's 25 years old maybe the right answer is a new one; before spending money repairing it I'd be having a serious look at the overall condition. They can be made to look cosmetically OK even when they're badly worn; I've refused to refinish/refurbish a couple of Omega bracelets for this reason, basically they were knackered.
    I
    Paul
    Paul. I am also surprised as , although I have had it from new , it has had no more than a year's worth of use,as it is my favourite and ,stupidly, is very little worn. The photo I posted in conjunction with this query might demonstrate this. Let me know where abouts you are and maybe you could take a look? Kind regards Tim

Now some photos of the problem, I have included a photo of the whole strap to show it at maximum sideways flex to show that it is not worn .
    Any ideas about a repair would be appreciated, though I will contact the two suggestions made already.

View showing the pin head visible on the polished side of the bracelet and the location of the missing pin

Journeyman
    Apologies skim read the first page and fruitlessly posted. Will read a bit more next time ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may be being a bit dense but:

1. There appears to be a pin in the hole, although not flush with the edge of the link?
    2. If the pin had fallen out, what's holding the two parts of the bracelet together?

STS have done repairs to my bracelets, including to the 'fixed' links.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I may be being a bit dense but:

1. There appears to be a pin in the hole, although not flush with the edge of the link?
    2. If the pin had fallen out, what's holding the two parts of the bracelet together?

STS have done repairs to my bracelets, including to the 'fixed' links.

That is my rather skillful(not) repair, where I have fashioned a bit of paperclip and driven it into the hole left by the missing pin, a temporary fix which seems to do the job but not up to Omega standards. ONly half of the pin has fallen out, the other side is fine.