closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help needed - Office for Mac 2016 - not opening older Word files

Master

Help needed - Office for Mac 2016 - not opening older Word files

Hi

I recently upgraded to Office for Mac 2016 through the Microsoft Home Use Program. Excel files seem to work and open fine.

The powerpoint ones I've tried from a few years ago seem to have lost a lot of formatting - some of these may well have been created on a Windows machine initially and then edited on Mac.

But with Word, I can't open anything. Or more correctly, the files open but you just get a blank page. It shows, for example, page 1 of 10 at the bottom, but there is no file name displayed and you can't move the cursor (actually I'm not even sure you can see the cursor). Ive tried this with old files that have always worked regardless of how they were created and also ones that I've created myself on this very machine - nothing.

Ive had a look on-line but there seems to be an issue with this.

The version of Word etc I have is 15.21.1 and I've just checked for updates and this is the latest one.

Mac OS is El Capitan, V10.11.4

This is bizarre and shouldn't be happening so thought I'd see if anyone here had any ideas I could try??

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by bambam; 3rd May 2016 at 10:17.

Can you email the old files to yourself, then use the online word ( view online option ) thingy, then highlight and copy your text then paste into your new blank word doc?

Master
    Maybe, but I shouldn't have to. Especially when I get sent stuff that I need to review.

I can't help with this specific issue (I haven't encountered it yet). I have had problems with Outlook and have resorted to having both the 2016 and 2011 versions open at the same time so I can use either where necessary. The issue I'm having hasn't yet been sorted for Mac, so I'm stuck with using two versions until it's sorted. A PITA I know but do you have access to an older version of Word you can use?
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I can't help with this specific issue (I haven't encountered it yet). I have had problems with Outlook and have resorted to having both the 2016 and 2011 versions open at the same time so I can use either where necessary. The issue I'm having hasn't yet been sorted for Mac, so I'm stuck with using two versions until it's sorted. A PITA I know but do you have access to an older version of Word you can use?
    I do have the 2011 version still. But I've called Microsoft and they took me through a re-install which seems to have worked. Only checked a few documents so far but it seems to be behaving. Fingers crossed.

If not then I'll probably re-install 2011 as well.

Office 365 dropped into my Minimac no problem last week.
    It gave me the option of installing 2016, or the older 2011 version.
    During install, it also gave me the option to format the new documents as 1) docx, or 2) open office.

El-Capitan works with Office 2016 (and option 1) on my Word 2000 documents, and Excel 2000 (both saved in the old 1997-2003 format)

Windows 10 on the other hand, needed a fix to reset the program defaults to prevent 365 from crashing.

You can open them in Pages, no problem.

If it's a .doc file change the file name to .docx, works for me all the time!