closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Scurfa Bell Diver

Master
    Blog Entries

Scurfa Bell Diver

Just saw this on the Scurfa site and I have to say that I think it looks like a good looking watch ... A definite on the wish list!

http://scurfawatches.com/bell-diver-1-automatic

I have the Diver One Nato and it's a great little beater. Paul Is a good guy to deal with as well. I emailed last year as soon as I heard he was making an auto. After seeing the pictures, I completely agree and hoping to get one over the coming months.

i think all those micro brands need to come up with a new and unique design of their own at some point

Journeyman
    I'd consider buying it. Already have quartz Scurfa, well made and cheap

Did they run out of money and couldn't afford to index the whole bezel????

A partially indexed bezel on a newly designed dive watch is like releasing a chronograph with the timing seconds hand on a sub-register instead of being the main seconds hand. It can work but its hard to take the design at all seriously.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    Did they run out of money and couldn't afford to index the whole bezel????

A partially indexed bezel on a newly designed dive watch is like releasing a chronograph with the timing seconds hand on a sub-register instead of being the main seconds hand. It can work but its hard to take the design at all seriously.
    Not sure what you mean? Isn't this a standard style bezel found on SMP's, Plantet Oceans?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    Not sure what you mean? Isn't this a standard style bezel found on SMP's, Plantet Oceans?
    And Subs too. Its unfathomable that it has been retained.

Perhaps it was more appropriate for diving in the early days with tables (I'm being generous, I don't think it was ever helpful) but isn't as suitable for the modern context. A fully indexed bezel is better.

Its ok if it is a Seiko or one of Bedlam's favotires.
    He knocks everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Its ok if it is a Seiko or one of Bedlam's favotires.
    He knocks everything else.
    Now Rajen, don't be an ass.

I have been consistent in criticising divers without fully indexed bezels over a number of years. Its not about what I own or Seiko at all. Both Omega and Rolex offer properly indexed bezels on their high-end divers. I'd just prefer that it was standard on the whole range.

I think Rolex is understandably a bit trapped with the Sub as its such an iconic design. I have always thought that makers could offer a partial or fully indexed bezel as an option. It wouldn't be hard.

Now Rajen, don't be an ass.
    I am well aware of your posting history here and on WUS.
    I know you dive and respect your opinions but I have noted over they years your prejudices and you are entitled to those, even if I don't agree.
    Just want to put things into perspective.

BTW, current SMP's have a fully indexed bezel, and are an excellent dive watch IMO

I know nothing about diving but Paul Scurfa (the chap who created these) is a professional diver so I suspect he does. I'm assuming a fully indexed bezel isn't all that useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukal View Post
    I know nothing about diving but Paul Scurfa (the chap who created these) is a professional diver so I suspect he does. I'm assuming a fully indexed bezel isn't all that useful.
    Very, very, very, very, very few divers would depend on a watch and tables these days anyway...

I think Bedlam's got a bit of a bee in his bonnet about the bezel, it really doesn't matter unless you don't like it! Extensive research has proven that less than 0.1% of dive watches ever go below 3m anyway!

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Very, very, very, very, very few divers would depend on a watch and tables these days anyway...

I think Bedlam's got a bit of a bee in his bonnet about the bezel

M
    The comment about the bee is fair and I agree that few are diving tables these days.

People do use watches as back-up timers though. I've just come back from diving in the Philippines (I'll post pics soon) where my dive computer malfunctioned twice (fully dead the second time) and has gone back to Hollis (under warranty) for some attention. Thats the 4th dive computer failure I've had! Please don't try and claim there is no place for a redundant timer.

Dive watches are great for tracking elapsed time compared to the LCD on a computer and to tell actual time, which I have to scroll through menus on the computer to find. Having the bezel fully indexed makes it easier to read quickly. There is no sensible reason to partially index. Its a dumb choice that I will continue to point out.

The comment about the bee is fair and I agree that few are diving tables these days.

People do use watches as back-up timers though. I've just come back from diving in the Philippines (I'll post pics soon) where my dive computer malfunctioned twice (fully dead the second time) and has gone back to Hollis (under warranty) for some attention. Thats the 4th dive computer failure I've had! Please don't try and claim there is no place for a redundant timer.

Dive watches are great for tracking elapsed time compared to the LCD on a computer and to tell actual time, which I have to scroll through menus on the computer to find. Having the bezel fully indexed makes it easier to read quickly. There is no sensible reason to partially index. Its a dumb choice that I will continue to point out.
    I don't believe I suggested there was no place for a backup timer, BUT if you're at that point, a minute or two here or there is not going to be a major issue - You should bail the dive, not rely on a questionably accurate timer.

ETA, there is a minute track inside the dial, that would allow you to count minutes betwen the 5s anyway... I could argue NO indexing is actually required on the bezel at all, which presumably explains those divers with NO indexing on the bezel

"Dive watches" are mostly a style these days - Even if the person whose name is on the dial is a 'professional diver'.

There are plenty of dive watches with the design of bezel you like, clearly some feel it's not that important to them, including Mr Scurfa.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 3rd May 2016 at 11:06.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    There are plenty of dive watches with the design of bezel you like, clearly some feel it's not that important to them, including Mr Scurfa.

M
    Its interesting that highly readable everything is touted as desirable in a dive watch. Then we come to its core function, the timing bezel. Now suddenly readability doesn't really matter and a less optimum design is perfectly fine!

Lame.

Its interesting that highly readable everything is touted as desirable in a dive watch. Then we come to its core function, the timing bezel. Now suddenly readability doesn't really matter and a less optimum design is perfectly fine!

Lame.
    OK - You know best...

M.

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    As I see it, only a Lumed pip at 12 and marks on the cardinals are really necessary.

It's perfectly possible to tell the time accurately on a watch face with no markings, and with a second hand, count the seconds accurately, within a second or two. The brain becomes conditioned to seeing the relative positions of the hands, and can tell the time, accurately, at a glance. Same goes for the bezel. You need the lumed pip as a reference to '12', but otherwise, you should be able to read the elapsed time within a minute or so. OK, you'll tell me that a professional NEEDS the minute marks. I'll say Boll*x!! Divers were diving safeky with over the counter watches in the thirties and forties, and very few, if any had a turnable bezel.

If your brain can't tell the time accurately without markings by the time you are twenty, you're probably better of with a digital, and you can't read the tiem half as quickly with a glance on them.

Quote Originally Posted by doug darter View Post
    As I see it, only a Lumed pip at 12 and marks on the cardinals are really necessary.

It's perfectly possible to tell the time accurately on a watch face with no markings, and with a second hand, count the seconds accurately, within a second or two. The brain becomes conditioned to seeing the relative positions of the hands, and can tell the time, accurately, at a glance. Same goes for the bezel.
    Its possible, but not ideal. Generally the bezel is off-set when you are using it, potentially upside down, and not aligned with the markers on the dial. Why make it harder to read by not putting indicies on the bezel?

I'm not sure why people are stuck on this. I get that many don't care because they don't really use the bezel, some might like the look of the partial indexing, etc. Claiming less indices is equal functionally is plain wrong.

I'll move on, but perhaps Mr Scurfa could have a think about it :-)

Its possible, but not ideal. Generally the bezel is off-set when you are using it, potentially upside down, and not aligned with the markers on the dial. Why make it harder to read by not putting indicies on the bezel?

I'm not sure why people are stuck on this. I get that many don't care because they don't really use the bezel, some might like the look of the partial indexing, etc. Claiming less indices is equal functionally is plain wrong.

I'll move on, but perhaps Mr Scurfa could have a think about it :-)
    I'm not sure anyone else is

M