closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016 SOTC - some old ones, and some new shiny ones

2016 SOTC - some old ones, and some new shiny ones

I find myself confined to the sofa for the duration of the long bank holiday weekend as a result of an operation last week to repair a troublesome hernia. And so, inspired by Lewis’ splendid SOTC from yesterday, I thought I would pay tribute, by following suit…

2016 has been a quiet year for me on the ‘incoming’ front, for many reasons. Only one watch has arrived, and quite a few have departed. I am hoping to add a couple more by the turn of the year…waiting patiently for the AD to come up trumps. In the meantime, this is what I have left…

Firstly, a couple of modern Omegas. The Seamaster Co-Axial is the replacement for the very first ‘real' watch that I owned. I bought a 36mm Seamaster Professional in my late 20’s, towards the end of the 1990’s. I wore it, day in day out, for about ten years. I eventually ‘upgraded’ it to a 41mm Co-Axial about five years ago. Of all the watches I have let go over recent years, the 36mm Seamaster Professional, is the only one I truly regret not keeping and I often wonder where it is now. Having said that, the Co-Axial is a wonderful watch. It accompanies me on every holiday and is worn thoughout each day, carefree. On reflection, I think the 36mm Seamaster Professional is probably the genesis of my fascination with blue dials.

The Speedmaster Automatic, is also a special watch for me. It was the second watch that I added. Mrs 11erv emptied her savings account to buy it for me on a ‘big’ birthday, six years ago. It is not the most illustrious watch amid those that now clutter up my collection, but it is one that I will never sell. I do not wear it very often, but I have worn it every day this week, at times, whilst I have been at home recuperating.

Next, a couple of modern Rolexes. The 16610 Submariner was the watch that I really wanted when I bought the 36mm Seamaster Professional all those years ago, but I couldn’t stretch that far, at the time. I finally bought one in late 2009…only to return it to Goldsmiths a few days later for a refund. I couldn’t justify spending that amount of money on one watch. Oh I wish I had retained that sort of will power! I would be a few £’s better off now had I done so. However, when the 16610 was discontinued in 2010, I decided that I had to make sure that I got one. Not that they would be in short supply going forwards, but I wanted a factory fresh, fully sealed watch, with my name on the papers. I found one of the last ones available in the UK…all the way up in St Andrews. I still have it. I still love it’s simple, classic design. I still wear it, every now and again, and thoroughly enjoy it, when I do. It is another one, that I believe that I will never sell.

It was a simple, but fateful step, that then led me to add a 16710, to accompany the 16610. And so, the obsession began. Having said that, the 16710, for me, is a genuinely functional watch. It is extremely robust, extremely comfortable, and extremely practical. And over the last five or so years, it has accompanied me wherever I have travelled, which over recent years, has become increasingly frequent.

Having bought the 16610, I realised that I loved the simple, classic design lines which trace their heritage back over several decades. And so, my fascination with all things vintage Rolex started to emerge. Over the last four or five years, I have built a collection of vintage Rolex watches that I am very content with. I do not, now, particularly feel the need to add anything to it, nor reduce it very much further, albeit one or two may go over the coming months.

Submariners and SeaDweller

Firstly, a 16800 transitional Submariner. Wonderful, deep patina across the matt dial. Sapphire crystal, adds an element of practicality. Closest to the 16610 in terms of look and feel. It is a full set, from 1983, the case is unpolished, but the patina and faded insert suggest that this watch has seen some action over the years. Not everyone’s cup of tea, but I love the rugged, aged look. Perfect for a watch that was designed to be worn for a purpose!

1967 metres first 5513, again with a wonderful patina and faded insert. For some reason, this seems to be the one that I wear the most amid the vintage element of my collection. Again, it is the rugged, classic design that appeals. It is never far from my wrist.

1980 maxi dial 5513. I have seen lots of 5513s over the years, but this one, is the best I have seen, by a long way. I found it somewhat serendipitously. I met with a well known vintage dealer a couple of years ago to collect a 1016 (see below). He had taken in this 5513 in, the same morning. As soon as I saw it, I knew it was ‘the one’. The dial is perfect, the case is unpolished, factory fresh and the original super dome crystal rounds it off, superbly. It doesn’t get much better than this, in my opinion.

1981 maxi dial 1665 Seadweller. This one is a stunner. I have flirted with the idea of selling this one, bizarrely…mainly because I seldom wear it. The only thing that has stopped me, is the knowledge that I will probably never find another one like it. Full fat case, T39 super dome, fantastic patina and lovely faded insert (there is a bit of a theme emerging…)

GMTs

A couple of GMTs….a 1675 from 1970 (LHS) and a 16750 from 1980 (RHS). I recall a thread recently showing a time capsule 16750 that was being sold by the Watchcentre for something like £17k. Quite ridiculous. I like my GMTs to be in top condition, but to wear their age gracefully…

Daytonas

I have had a number of vintage Daytonas over recent years. A few have come and gone. These are the two that have remained throughout. Both are beautiful, old, classic, manual wind chronographs.

6263 from 1972. Simply gorgeous and feels special each time I give it a wind and put it on.

6238 from 1964 (pre Daytona). Wonderful and very versatile. Looks equally at home on bracelet or vintage leather strap.

I also love the 16520 A serial Zenith Daytona from 2000. The latest iteration of the Daytona, launched earlier this year, borrows some of its design notes from the Zenith dial. I will probably buy a new white dial Daytona when the fuss dies down and the opportunity arises. In the meantime, I am very happy with the 16520.

Explorers

I love the slightly quirky looks of the original Explorer II, ref 1655. This one is from 1972 during the straight hand period.

This is the 1016 Explorer that led me to the maxi dial 5513 above. Beautiful patina, beautifully simple, classic Rolex design from 1974

DateJusts

A vintage Datejust is never far from my wrist when I am knocking around the house. Again, I have been through a few, but I am happy to have settled on the six below (including a couple that came from the venerable Mr Shear, of all people). I would like to add a blue dial 1601 or 1603, but it is very difficult to find one without some damage on the dial, something to do with the blue ‘paint’ that Rolex used in the 1960’s and 1970’s.

Great value, simple, classic design lines going back well over 50 years…

1971 1601 linen dial

1972 1601 grey sigma dial

1969 1601 black (wonderful)

1969 1603 black turned chocolate brown (equally wonderful)

1972 1600 black dial and 1968 1600 blue dial (stunning)

Finally, a 1958 3-6-9 ‘explorer’ quadrant chevron dial ref 6480 with original papers. I love the dial on this watch, very distinctive and a lovely, evenly aged patina across the whole dial.

Other vintage…

I have had several modern IWC watches over the years, Portuguese, Pilot, Portofino…non of which have stood the test of time. A year or so ago, an opportunity came up, via my good friend Jasper Liffering at Amsterdam Vintage Watches, to buy a 1950’s Ingeniuer ref 666 in stunning, almost new old stock condition. Happy to say that this is my one and only IWC.

I am a keen admirer of old Universal watches. Sadly, it is very difficult to find one that is not falling to pieces. Again, about a year ago, this one came up in almost new old stock condition, along with its original strap, box and hang tag etc. It is a 1950’s calatrava style, gilt gloss dial with a lovely bumper movement.

I admired vintage Heuer from afar over the years, whilst focussing on vintage Rolex…mistake. 1960’s Heuer Carrera chronographs are frustratingly difficult to find nowadays and prices have rocketed over the last couple of years. I have managed to find two, that I am very happy with…a 2447S and a 3647T with red tachy scale. Both lovely, distinctive, watches…

Complementing the 1960’s Carreras, are two earlier manual wind chronographs. Firstly a 1950’s Leonidas (pre Heuer) three register chronograph. Heuer acquired Leonidas in the 1960’s, hence this is so called a ‘pre-Heuer’. I love the dial and dauphine hands…

Next, a 1930’s/40’s Heuer two register chronograph with lovely brown tropical dial. Likely worn in the WW2 years…

Rounding things off, three modern watches that really have become firm favourites in my collection.

Firstly, a Patek Philippe Aquanaut ref 5167. Supremely comfortable and a watch that has to be seen in person to really be appreciated. I wear this one, a lot.

Secondly, I really have become smitten by the Genta designed Nautilus case. The 5711 is arguably the most classic in the current Nautilus line up, remaining faithful to the original 40 year old design. The blue dial, is a work of art. This really is a watch that feels special when I put it on, and one that consistently makes me smile during the entire day, whenever I glance at it. I intend to add at least one more Nautilus to my collection over the coming months.

Finally, the only acquisition of 2016, so far. An Audemars Piguet reference 14790 from 2000. I have found that an AP RO wears several mm’s larger than the official case dimensions, so much so that a 39mm 15202 usually feels too large on my wrist when I have tried it (the design of the integrated case/bracelet being a key factor). The 36mm 14790 wears almost identically to the 40mm 5711 Nautilus (and very similarly to a 40mm Rolex Sports). Another Genta inspired masterpiece, in my opinion.

Anyway, that’s all for now. If you made it all the way to the end, thank you for reading!

John
    Last edited by 11erv; 2nd May 2016 at 22:53.

What a fantastic group!
    Some real beauties there. Thanks for sharing and the write up.
    Hope you are back on your feet soon.

Absolutely stunning collection, John. So many that I love but the pre-Daytona and the IWC make me weak at the knees (and remember you've pencilled my name on the latter). The Great white and 5513 aren't too shabby, either!

Wish you a speedy recovery!

My word, what a collection!

Love the vintage 1016 and Datejusts

Get better soon

Master
    I was wondering if anyone was going to post a SOTC that could rival Lewis' anytime soon... I didn't think it was going to be that soon and that good... Wish you a speedy recovery too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    The 2447s it gorgeous. I didn't know it existed but now I do I like it a lot.

In all seriousness I have no idea how people with such collections decide what to wear every day. I have 8 and feel bad for those left in their boxes for a while, the guilt would cripple me every day! ;)

Master
    Wonderful John, Did you really go to night school and do a course in Impeccable Taste!
    p.s. Stick my name against that beautiful 5513 maxi, if you ever decide to get rid!
    Last edited by bobdog; 1st May 2016 at 17:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Deckard81 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone was going to post a SOTC that could rival Lewis' anytime soon... I didn't think it was going to be that soon and that good... Wish you a speedy recovery too!

Good call

If I had just one of those Rolex's that would be me pretty much sorted I reckon

Craftsman
    Very nice collection John, I particularly like the maxi dial 5513 and the great white.
    Get well soon.
    Oh and definitely more Pateks needed!

Craftsman
    Very nice pieces there,the AP is my favourite,never been a big fan of the nautilus but I must say that one is very special,nicest I've seen.
    Thanks for sharing

Tony

Fantastic collection. I thought it was pretty good after the first two pictures (and I'd be happy at that!) - but then it just kept getting better and better

Master
    Wonderful collection there, amazing to see two such amazing posts over the weekend!

If Carlsberg did SOTCs...
    That 6238 is stunning (amongst many other stunning watches!)

Craftsman
    Lovely collection.my favourite is the 6238, beautiful. Out of interest where are the vintage leather straps from on the 6238 the ww2 heuer the universal leonidas etc. They are lovely and exactly what I've been looking for.

The use of word tatty rankles, even if used in jest:-)
    Such injustice to those lovable oldies!

Stunning collection.

Quote of the year so far "settled on the six below"

Thanks for posting

Malc

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    The use of word tatty rankles, even if used in jest:-)
    Such injustice to those lovable oldies!
    Fair point. T'was, of course, in jest...but title now edited to remove the offender.

will you adopt me?

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I am on the up, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Absolutely stunning collection, John. So many that I love but the pre-Daytona and the IWC make me weak at the knees (and remember you've pencilled my name on the latter). The Great white and 5513 aren't too shabby, either!

Wish you a speedy recovery!
    Thank you Tony, I hadn't forgotten...but it could be somewhat of a long wait, I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Wonderful John, Did you really go to night school and do a course in Impeccable Taste!
    p.s. Stick my name against that beautiful 5513 maxi, if you ever decide to get rid!
    Noted, Bob (Paul is already on the case, however!). Appears we each share the same taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinch View Post
    Very nice collection John, I particularly like the maxi dial 5513 and the great white.
    Get well soon.
    Oh and definitely more Pateks needed!
    The PP cavalry is on the way, Nick...albeit frustratingly slowly 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Tony E View Post
    Very nice pieces there,the AP is my favourite,never been a big fan of the nautilus but I must say that one is very special,nicest I've seen.
    Thanks for sharing

Tony
    I had admired them, distantly, from afar...and then I saw one in person, it was love at first sight.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeb1 View Post
    Lovely collection.my favourite is the 6238, beautiful. Out of interest where are the vintage leather straps from on the 6238 the ww2 heuer the universal leonidas etc. They are lovely and exactly what I've been looking for.
    The straps are from Bulang & Sons. Very good straps. The Universal also came from Bernhard's personal collection.

Another lovely collection, can't say a favourite but simply lovely!

Of all the SOTC' I've seen here, yours must be my favourite I reckon. There isn't a watch amongst that that I wouldn't like to own, amazing.

Fantastic SOTC John, you are a man of impeccable taste Sir. All beautiful watches, any of which would adorn a chaps wrist elegantly....

Master
    Just a great collection all round, one classic after another, from great characterful vintage Rolex to Genta's finest. Thanks for sharing.

They're all great watches, but the linen dial 1601 is my - realistically obtainable - favourite. Superb collection!

Superb write up mate

Get well soon

Al

Journeyman
    Oh my! What a superb collection. If I ever decide to sell of all my watches, that '72 Daytona would be the one for me.

You are very fortunate sir get well soon

Master
    Great write up John. Ive said it a few times but I shall say it again, a stunning collection with my preference going towards the older watches but an amzing group all the same.

I hope you are bearing up after the Op.

Incredible collection John! Thanks for taking the time to post it too.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Master
    you could do with a Rolex or two in there. Staggering collection. No more words really!

This website makes me bloody envious!!!

Probably the collection that most mirrors my own taste John, which you may find disturbing. Just one question...what would you wear to do the gardening, (or similar) or do you have a man for that?

Firstly, best wishes for your recovery.

Secondly, that is a sublime collection. The 6238 in particular is a thing of rare beauty and wonder.

Master
    Any room for a Day-Date?
    My favourite is that grey-faced Date-Just. Or the linen faced one. Classics.
    With the weather being so poor, at least you haven't missed much by being stuck indoors.

I've just put two and two together....was the hernia a result of trying to move your watch box?

The one that really catches my eye is that linen dialled DJ John; wonderful looking watch. I sorely miss my DJ, sold it cheap on SC and it was a lovely early 5-digit so plexi, open 6/9 and quickset. Arghh!

I found it quite cathartic to do the SOTC, I get the feeling you did too. Good to see where we're at and where we're going...

Absolutely stunning collection John, a couple of the 5513's and the Great White stand out but there are so many !

Master
    Sweet baby Jesus and the orphans! I though it was never gonna end!

That's an amazing collection John, hard work and costly to put it together no doubt, but well worth the effort.

Master
    So many stand out pieces in this thread that I'd not know where to start if it wasn't for that 1601 with the grey sigma dial, that just exudes understated class to me, I'd happily have one in my own small collection. I hope your on the road back to rude health!

While I was only interested in the first two or three of Lewis's watches, I'd say I'd be happy with all but two or three (plus the PPs) of your watches. An excellent collection.
    "A man of little significance"

My goodness, what a lovely collection.

So many lovely pieces and you have made me all the more determined to add a PP in the future.

Master
    Another wonderful collection. I am green with envy!

Blog Entries
    What a wonderful collection… it's clear that you've invested significant time and effort in pulling it together and shows the signs of a man confident in both his research and taste…. I'd wear all of the vintage ones and some of the modern ones too

Those datejusts keep calling out to me…

Thanks for taking the effort to show us your lovely watches

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    That's a lovely stash John. Enviable!

Stunning!
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Blog Entries
    oh dear - keyboard accident.

Seriously - that is a huge, amazing set. Even before getting to the Patek stage there were some stunners in their.

I'd like the 1016 Explorer please!

What an amazing collection. Thank you so much for taking the time to share with us.

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 2nd May 2016 at 21:21.

Blog Entries
    Amazing and way out of my financial league. Love these threads :)

Thank you for all of the get well wishes, everyone, and for the kinds words about the collection...all very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Any room for a Day-Date?
    My favourite is that grey-faced Date-Just. Or the linen faced one. Classics.
    With the weather being so poor, at least you haven't missed much by being stuck indoors.
    I have often pondered adding a Day-Date, never say never...

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    I've just put two and two together....was the hernia a result of trying to move your watch box?
    Very droll, John...the hernia certainly wasn't a result of overdoing it in the garden!

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    The one that really catches my eye is that linen dialled DJ John; wonderful looking watch. I sorely miss my DJ, sold it cheap on SC and it was a lovely early 5-digit so plexi, open 6/9 and quickset. Arghh!

I found it quite cathartic to do the SOTC, I get the feeling you did too. Good to see where we're at and where we're going...
    Thank you, Lewis, I did, somewhat. The linen dial and the grey sigma are two favourites, both worn frequently.

Master
    Thanks for posting that John.

What a collection. For me, I love the 6263 and maxi dial 5513 in particular. The Heuer twin register is a stunning looking piece too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Amazing vintage pieces there!
    God, I'm going mute here...

Master
    John, I think you should join up with Lewis and offer a rental service!

Stunning collection and, for me, the 6238 steals the show. Fabulous!