closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Patio grouting

Patio grouting

Don't know if anyone on here knows anything about this but hopefully there's someone. I've laid a natural sandstone patio and steps a couple of years ago and unfortunately the mortar between the slabs has started to break up and some of the slabs have lifted due to frost etc. I will be re-laying the slabs and want to use a grout different to just a mortar. I'm worried about staining and think I've narrowed it down to these two

http://www.romex-pfm.eu/en/products/rompox-easy.html

http://www.pavingexpert.com/jointex_01.htm

Does anyone have any experience with these, if not any recommendations? Also is it possible to use these on vertical joints?

Master
    Not sure where you are in the UK but oop North we are getting -1 Deg C at night at present so I would leave any pointing until temps increase.

I've used one before which was like sand but its coloured to suit your needs ,it comes with a pot of hardener ,you mix it together but it stay pretty dry,you pour it over the slabs and just brush it in with a sweeping brush,it doesn't stain the slabs,I got it from Jewson,can't remember the name but it's the only one they did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of the lads at work use a resin, comes as a powder dries like bell metal.
    Depending on how wide the gap is between the flags, folk used to carefully pour water between the gaps, dry off any water from the flag face, then sweep the mix into the gaps, water is drawn up so no messing about with pointing it in, just finish it off using a piece of water pipe hose.
    Defiantly avoid sand and cement, as it will need doing every few years.
    Last edited by geran; 30th April 2016 at 17:23.

Pointing that is harder than the stone itself is not a good idea if there is ground movement (eg tree roots)- you need to consider the pointing as sacrificial.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    sand/cement mix, brush it in dry and let nature do the rest, do this every two years and your done, at a fraction of the cost.

I am about to do mine, next week

I used Sika pave plus a couple of years ago- really good and still rock solid. Comes in various colours and types depending on gap width.

To avoid staining keep the slabs damp when applying- I didn't have any problem with sandstone.

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    sand/cement mix, brush it in dry and let nature do the rest, do this every two years and your done, at a fraction of the cost.

I am about to do mine, next week
    A 100% crap method

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    A 100% crap method
    the proof is in the pudding.

Master
    I've got Indian sandstone and use this

http://www.geo-fix.co.uk/application.html

Very easy to use but you have to work quickly

Pudding that you have to redo every 2 years?
    It'll be the resin method for me this year, hopefully never to be done again.

And that's why you're redoing it every two years. The mortar infill needs to be compacted, get all the air out of it, flush pointed smooth otherwise airborne greenery sits in the hollows and start rooting through in the loose brushed in compo and before you blink, the joints are full of crap. Try jetwashing it out, the mortar is coming out too.
    The whole concept of good or bad pointing on flags is whether or not the flags are moving. If they've been set correctly (solid bedded) so as not to move then flush struck pointing lasts for years. I have a natural stone area in my own garden which I put down when my first daughter was born. She turned 20 earlier this month and the flags are unmoved, the pointing still 100% intact.

I guess we appreciate different kinds of pudding, dood...

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    A 100% crap method
    I beg to differ.
    It's quick, cheap, secures the paving and allows for a bit of natural drainage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    I beg to differ.
    It's quick, cheap, secures the paving and allows for a bit of natural drainage.
    Beg all you like. Your second descriptive coined it in one.

Thanks for the replies folks. One thing I will say is I won't be using a sand / cement mix as that is what I have now. It performed pretty badly hence some flags lifting and its not stood up well at all to pressure washing and there is quite a bit of greenery growing out of it in places. Plus I'm not wanting to re-do it every 2 yrs, I'd rather spend money now and do it once.

#Matt8500 - that looks a good job there I'll look into that
    #dl_griff - I think I've looked at that geo-fix but I'll look again, thanks

Also has anyone with sandstone flags sealed them against staining etc?

What's the consensus on laying new nice slabs on top of old crappy ones? There's plenty of height to the dpc of i do it and it seemed a easy way to have a solid base. Or is it just lazy?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    What's the consensus on laying new nice slabs on top of old crappy ones? There's plenty of height to the dpc of i do it and it seemed a easy way to have a solid base. Or is it just lazy?
    If they're firm and solid Jason, it shouldn't be a problem. I'd personally set them on a wet grit/cement base to maximise stability.
    You'll no doubt get some more views

Thanks.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post

nothing wrong at all with this, its like tiling over tiles, as long as they are solid with no movement, use a good mix on it and lay away, as long as you have the height to do it, then fine