closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Day-Date 36mm cal. 3255

Rolex Day-Date 36mm cal. 3255

I wonder when/if the title of this thread would be of reality.

The cal 3255 movement promises the following updates over the 3155 currently in 36mm day- dates (if you don't know this already)

Expressed my concerns of an imminent movement update to a Rolex AD, as I am close to sealing the deal on the RG 36mm Day-Date on a leather strap with the cal. 3155.

The AD foresees a possible discontinuation of the 36mm DDI lineup, which could be a ploy to persuade me to get the bugger now.

Whaddya say?

- - - Updated - - -

Do disregard and point me towards the correct direction if this has been discussed before.

Grand Master
    The 36mm DD is unlikely to be discontinued in my opinion, he's saying that to make you buy.

Frankly, the only advantage that an owner will perceive with the new movement is the power reserve; the accuracy depends how ell it's regulated. I`ve said this many times and I think folks still prefer to be impressed by Rolex's claims for their new movement. There;s no reason why their 'old' movement (or an ETA 2892 in decent condition) can`t be adjusted to give this performance. I`ve done it myself several times, I don`t make this stuff up.

I think here's a danger of falling into the 'updrages' trap here. Phones, TVs, computers, cars etc are developing and it makes sense to wait for the next version...........this logic does not apply to watches in my view. If tangible performance was the criteria for choosing we'd all be wearing quartz.

My strong advice is to not be swayed by the new movement factor unless the 70hr power reserve is a real advantage to you.

Paul

Don't find the 70 hr power reserve advantageous in automatics, due to the advent of watch winders.

I'm more concerned with taking a blow resale value-wise if it's succeeded by the cal. 3255. Though I should state that it's not THAT big of a deal as this thread is more education-centric than monetary (since the unit I'm offered is way below market price, at £12,500 with a 12-month 0% interest option).

Master
    Wow! Wow! Check it out! Check it out!

The 3155 is dead! Gone! Yesterday's movement, man.

If your DD ain't got the 3255, it's vintage!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan95 View Post
    Don't find the 70 hr power reserve advantageous in automatics, due to the advent of watch winders.

I'm more concerned with taking a blow resale value-wise if it's succeeded by the cal. 3255. Though I should state that it's not THAT big of a deal as this thread is more education-centric than monetary (since the unit I'm offered is way below market price, at £12,500 with a 12-month 0% interest option).

Movement has no bearing on future value, stupid red text on the dial does, for instance... Old battered subs with cal 1575 that's been superceded thrice, is more valuable than the newest movements, etc...

The 3155 is tried and tested and has been upgraded several times, go 4 it. But dont buy in to the discontinuation nonsense, they only released new 36mm versions and dials a couple of years ago... it'll live a long time yet.

Blog Entries
    The AD foresees a possible discontinuation of the 36mm DDI lineup, which could be a ploy to persuade me to get the bugger now.
    I can't believe they'll discontinue to the 36mm DD line up entirely but they might replace the movement. But that won't happen until next year's Baselworld at the earliest, I'd imagine/guess.

Master
    Get the 36mm - best watch I've ever had and I've had a few!

Gary, what reference is that, 5 or 6 digits? I want an unplated white gold one at some point and *think* I need to get a 6 digit reference model...

Gorgeous thing!

Master
    My day date has the 3255 movement; I've also had a variety of the 31.. movements; I doubt that you will tell any difference. I can't, although I don't use the longer power reserve. Rolex aren't stupid and my guess would be that the new movement offers greater potrntial for development but little immediate advantage. All the current movements seem very accurate.
    So whether the 36mm gets the 3255 or not is probably of no great concern. It would be more likely to get the smaller recent movement, used in the 37mm Yachtmaster. But these all work well.
    Have you considered the DD 40? It's a neat, tidy, watch and doesn't seem at all large on the wrist. I doubt you would find it too large.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    My day date has the 3255 movement; I've also had a variety of the 31.. movements; I doubt that you will tell any difference. I can't, although I don't use the longer power reserve. Rolex aren't stupid and my guess would be that the new movement offers greater potrntial for development but little immediate advantage. All the current movements seem very accurate.
    So whether the 36mm gets the 3255 or not is probably of no great concern. It would be more likely to get the smaller recent movement, used in the 37mm Yachtmaster. But these all work well.
    Have you considered the DD 40? It's a neat, tidy, watch and doesn't seem at all large on the wrist. I doubt you would find it too large.
    Sadly anything larger than 36/38mm looks downright massive on my 6" wrist as evident in the image below. Else, I'd jump on the 40mm DDII bandwagon!

Note: SeaDweller 16600 down to it's bare minimum with no removable links left. The micro-adjustment thingamajig could only be tightened to the 2nd out of 4 holes (with 4 being the smallest configuration) as any further micro-adjustment would foresee the clasp rubbing against the links.

^^^^^I recently bought a 40mm expressly to be a "big" watch....no 40mm would be "neat" on me neither ;)

Master
    Fair enough, for a small wrist a less large watch works better and the 36mm Day Date is a great watch....I prefer it on a leather strap, but that's just me. I saw one like that, Everose and a brown leather strap, at my local AD. Lovely.
    As a more general point, the DD 40 is surprising smaller than the DD 11. It 'reads' as an altogether smaller, neater, watch. It's smaller than something like a Milgauss too. And very obviously smaller than, say, a Submariner.

I tried a 116200 DJ on at my local AD today (ok it's not a DD but it has the same dimensions). I have 7 inch wrists and the 36mm DJ was absolutely perfect size wise. 40mm would be WAY too big on my wrists and on a 6 inch wrist it would look ridiculous.

Grand Master
    36mm looks right IMO, the design loses something when it's scaled up.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    36mm looks right IMO, the design loses something when it's scaled up.

Paul

Does look good doesn't it

Does look good doesn't it
    That, quite frankly, is stunning. Get it bought (from Chronoext, Dom Hackett or Iconic) and when you're bored of it next year, sell it to me :)

@DB9Yeti,

I've a chance at a 118239 white gold with a diamond dial for £10,700 But roes gold has this allure to it....

Blog Entries
    I've a chance at a 118239 white gold with a diamond dial for £10,700
    That's a remarkably good price isn't it? But diamonds always spoil these in my very humble opinion.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Gary, what reference is that, 5 or 6 digits? I want an unplated white gold one at some point and *think* I need to get a 6 digit reference model...

Gorgeous thing!
    It's a 6 digit mate; 118238 😉