closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Simba mattresses?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    What about the initial chemical smell (gets mentioned in many reviews)? Does it really go away after a few days?
    I noticed it when I unwrapped it in the morning but that night couldn't smell it.

Journeyman
    'Tested' one of these in John Lewis yesterday. It seemed suitable altough im concerned it will be too hot in the warmer months( had issues with a memory foam topper before) , so for that reason i wont be ordering for a few months so the 100 day return covers the summer.

I did notice when compared to other mattresses in store it was on the cheaper end of them all, suprising considering its so 'advanced' and the no quibble return option. Made me consider how they would last over the years...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    I've just read a bit more about them and there are similarities but a difference. Eve are three layers of different behaviour foam, Simba are three layers but foam/spring/foam. I have no idea which is better but we're limited to continental sizes (due to bed design) so the Simba is out for us.
    I'm not sure if it's still of interest but the Simba website now shows mattresses in EU sizes as well as UK.

Tested a Simba in JL today; I thought it was just perfect but the Mrs thought it wasn't firm enough. Where have I heard that before... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    Tested a Simba in JL today; I thought it was just perfect but the Mrs thought it wasn't firm enough. Where have I heard that before... :-)
    This actually made me lol :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Anybody has a valid pathway to discount for a Simba mattress? The codes I have found do not seem to work, in that there is nowhere to enter them in the Simba website

BWs
    Franco, Sheffield
    Last edited by Franco; 10th April 2017 at 10:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Anybody has a valid discount code for a Simba mattress?
    BWs
    Franco, Sheffield
    The one I posted earlier in the thread still works (though I don't get referral fees anymore).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    The one I posted earlier in the thread still works (though I don't get referral fees anymore).
    Yes, but there is no way to enter it once on the Simba website
    F

Casper is a similar brand which is now available in the UK. I hear it advertised a lot on the podcasts I listen to. There's a good comparison article here:

http://www.independent.co.uk/extras/...-a6950396.html

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Yes, but there is no way to enter it once on the Simba website
    F
    It's working fine. I've just had the £50 taken off on a pretend order.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    It's working fine. I've just had the £50 taken off on a pretend order.
    Yes, found the place to enter the code, thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Casper is a similar brand which is now available in the UK. I hear it advertised a lot on the podcasts I listen to. There's a good comparison article here:

http://www.independent.co.uk/extras/...-a6950396.html
    Casper mattresses - had considered them but unfortunately they do not have european sizes, while Simba does.

THanks
    Franco, Sheffield

I have to say I'm still very impressed by our Simba. You begin to take it for granted of course, but I occasionally look back and think of how a lot of aches and pains have disappeared and realise that things are much better since it arrived.

Master
    I recently looked at the Simba mattresses in JL and have been toying with getting one. As mentioned at the beginning of this thread they appear to very similar, if not the same, as the Eve ones and their website is offering £100 off today with the code HAPPYMONDAY (and no doubt this isn't a one off discount). Does anyone know for sure if they are the same product?

Quote Originally Posted by mactrack View Post
    As mentioned at the beginning of this thread they appear to very similar, if not the same, as the Eve ones and their website is offering £100 off today with the code HAPPYMONDAY (and no doubt this isn't a one off discount). Does anyone know for sure if they are the same product?
    The Simba mattress has springs whereas the Eve one appears not to have them... from what I can see.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    The Simba mattress has springs whereas the Eve one appears not to have them... from what I can see.
    Well spotted! The Simba ones do indeed have a layer of actual springs compared to Eve's multi foam layers. Probably makes the Simba's extra £50 cost, after discounts, worth the extra.

Master
    Bought a Hypnos mattress from Furniture Village a couple of months ago. Perfect...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Master
    Well spotted! The Simba ones do indeed have a layer of actual springs compared to Eve's multi foam layers. Probably makes the Simba's extra £50 cost, after discounts, worth the extra.
    Not sure it makes much difference unless you think springs are needed. FWIW I checked the Which reviews and the Casper came up in the top 3 (in effect joint 2nd with the Leesa on scores) and is a best buy. The Simba isn't high enough rated to be a best buy but is still in the upper ratings.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Not sure it makes much difference unless you think springs are needed. FWIW I checked the Which reviews and the Casper came up in the top 3 (in effect joint 2nd with the Leesa on scores) and is a best buy. The Simba isn't high enough rated to be a best buy but is still in the upper ratings.
    Fair point. I suppose I just equate actual springs with higher cost and as Simba, Eve, Casper and Leesa all seem to be very similar in price after discounts I thought the Simba seemed like better value. I hadn't actually heard of the latter two until now so my choice just got worse. My parents subscribe to Which magazine, and I value their opinion, so will have to try and dig it out. However the only one of the four that have actually seen and layed on was the Simba as they are available in JL.

Journeyman
    Just ordered one of these (thanks for the discount link), kind of expecting it to be too hot but with the 100 day trail there's nothing to lose i guess..

Blog Entries
    After many comparisons, because of the European size of my bed, was left with two options, the Simba and the Leesa. At the end I have ordered the Leesa because on the Which? comparison it ended as the second best buy overall. And , more importantly, the best for large people sleeping in their side. Now, I have 100 days to see if it's good for me.

Thanks for all advise
    BWs
    Franco, Sheffield

Craftsman
    Does anyone have a valid link for the £50 off that will get them a referral?

Master
    Fair point. I suppose I just equate actual springs with higher cost and as Simba, Eve, Casper and Leesa all seem to be very similar in price after discounts I thought the Simba seemed like better value. I hadn't actually heard of the latter two until now so my choice just got worse. My parents subscribe to Which magazine, and I value their opinion, so will have to try and dig it out. However the only one of the four that have actually seen and layed on was the Simba as they are available in JL.
    Just an update from my side is that after finding the Which Magazine in question, the article wasn't that in depth, I decided to seek out a latex foam mattress to lay down on as a comparison to memory foam. The Dunlopillo Royal Sovereign is the Which best buy and I can see why after testing a few depths/firmnesses this one being medium tension and the middle depth was the one for me. Now the price of latex foam is a lot more than man made memory foam so I have had to double my original budget but Dunlopillo have an offer on until the 1 May whereby you get free latex pillows (RRP £60 each) and I also found that a lot on the independent retailers invite you to call them for their best price however I found a department store online whose prices are far cheaper than anyone else's I could find;

http://danielstores.co.uk/dunlopillo...-mattress.html

so I ordered and received a call today from their Ealing store to say that the mattress would be ordered and would take 3/4 weeks to be delivered so all looks good.

As an aside after researching online and unearthing a plethora of mattress companies all in the same vain as Simba etc. I became very sceptical about all of them and almost decided to just buy another conventional pocket sprung mattress and would of done so from this outfit due to the wealth of information on their site and very keen prices and excellent reviews;

https://johnryanbydesign.co.uk

I did read somewhere that some of these new bed in a box online retailers were actively not showing the not so good reviews on their sites but as always you pays your money and takes your choice. I'm hoping I have made the right choice!

Master
    Hopefully you will enjoy your new mattress. I can't speak for comments on the manufacturers websites but on both this thread & the similar one running over on Pistonheads I don't think anyone has been unhappy with a Simba/Eve/Leesa/Casper & think the only mattress than someone has sent back was a John Ryan one which had become uneven & developed a dip.

It's the 100 night trial period which is so attractive - something you won't get with your Dunlopiilo mattress.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Hopefully you will enjoy your new mattress. I can't speak for comments on the manufacturers websites but on both this thread & the similar one running over on Pistonheads I don't think anyone has been unhappy with a Simba/Eve/Leesa/Casper & think the only mattress than someone has sent back was a John Ryan one which had become uneven & developed a dip.

It's the 100 night trial period which is so attractive - something you won't get with your Dunlopiilo mattress.
    Indeed after finally deciding on a latex foam mattress I actually wanted to get the John Ryan design Fusion 5 model for the very reason of being able to return it within 60 days. However after seeing/feeling the Dunlopillo Royal Sovereign in the flesh and, more importantly, finding a price that was £300 cheaper than JL (when including the free pillows) and also that John Ryan compare it to their even more expensive Fusion 3 model made me chance the Dunlopillo. I hope I've not made a mistake.

I did read this thread which made me suspicious, rightly or wrongly, however as you say the 100 day returns cannot be knocked;

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=5253405

The fact that they are negative reviews of John Ryan mattresses is, IMO, a good thing since it does show that it is purely down to personal preference however all of the negative Trustpilot reviews are always fair inasmuch as the reviewers all say that they arranged for the return/refund without quibble. Whilst I didn't buy a mattress from them I did find their website to be extremely informative however you might accuse them of bias since they are trying to sell you a mattress too!

Before deciding on the Dunlopillo I was going to get an Emma mattress since their version looks very similar to the Simba and they have a £100 discount promotion currently which makes their prices very competitive indeed;

https://www.emma-mattress.co.uk/?gcl...FegK0wodGG4MyQ

Journeyman
    The Royal Sovereign is a top quality mattress. Just make sure it's on a slatted base, or sprung edge. Definitely not a platform/ solid top base.

Journeyman
    Just taken delivery of the SIMBA.

Anyone got any tips for getting the old mattress small enough to fit in the car to take to the tip ???

Quote Originally Posted by Bangers View Post

Anyone got any tips for getting the old mattress small enough to fit in the car to take to the tip ???
    Brute force and duct tape?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Get a couple of ratchet straps and tighten them hard. Screwfix do them quite cheap.

What happens to all these 100 day returns? Surely they can't re-pack and sell them again... after sweaty bodies have used them.

Journeyman
    Get a couple of ratchet straps and tighten them hard. Screwfix do them quite cheap.

What happens to all these 100 day returns? Surely they can't re-pack and sell them again... after sweaty bodies have used them.
    Think they give them to local charities.

I will try and cut the old one in half then gaffer tape and ratchet strap it into quarters. Or pay the local council £40 to collect it

Master

I would guess they thoroughly clean them up as I've seen them sold at a discount on Groupon & Living Social as used items like John Lewis do.
    Also saw a documentary last month on the Mandarin Oriental Hotel Hyde Park where they auction off/sold used hotel guest bed, mattress, furniture & fittings, probably been used at a minimum of 365 days/nights.

They donate them to Charity, there's a chancer on their website comments section offering to take one'off their hands' for a small donation to a charity of their choice!!

Rob
    Last edited by robcuk; 18th April 2017 at 23:56.

Wonder how many they actually get returned under the 100 day trial?

Master
    Quick heads up. Amazon deal of the day today (30/04/17) has up to £230 off Eve mattresses. The double is down from £599 to £399 for example.

Eve is another in this group of "in a box" foam mattresses like Simba, Casper etc

I'm not sure about foam mattresses. Over time, through compression and friction, the foam breaks down into smaller and smaller particles, until you end up with clouds of foam 'dust'. I suspect the current PR push for foam mattresses is because it's cheaper than sprung in terms of material and manufacturing.

Also, I find them hot, no matter what the manufacturers say in their marketing guff.

I don't think you can beat a traditional, good quality pocket sprung mattress for comfort and durability. And I wouldn't buy any mattress that could not be turned over (side-to-side, end-to-end) periodically.

Disclosure: In a previous career I spent a good few years working in a sofa and bed retailer.

Craftsman
    Had mine a couple of weeks Now, and really like the Silva- comfy and supportive (and I'm pushing 17St.... Nothing much more to say, I'll reserve judgement on it being too warm until the summer - pretty sure it's warmer than my old mattress but fine so far.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Had ours for a few weeks, very happy so far. Yes it does feel a little warmer than a traditional style mattress but not overly so.

Are you supposed to twist the mattress? I have noticed how the sleeping part of the mattress is already softer than the middle part (we have a double) so i do wonder about the long term life, what with it not being able to be turned over. Anyone able to comment on the longevity of these?

Craftsman
    Has anyone tried the Sleeping Duck mattress http://www.sleepingduck.com . I quite fancy this one with the springs and option to change the firmness during the trial.

Journeyman
    We've had the SIMBA for about 4 weeks now. Whilst i find it comfortable its become very hot at night, partly due to the warmer temperatures outside but also as the mattress has softened i am surrounded more by the mattress which is retaining heat. I think when/if summer arrives the temperature will become unbearable.

I have the feeling i will be using the 100 day return policy and looking elsewhere.

Anyone else tried the other brands of Mattresses in a box, some claim to use gel in the memory foam to keep cooler....?

Blog Entries
    ...///...

Anyone else tried the other brands of Mattresses in a box, some claim to use gel in the memory foam to keep cooler....?
    Hi

after long thinking, I bought a double from Leesa - the only one apart from Simba to offer european sizes, and best in the Which? review. Came in a box, 36Kg heavy, and was up and running to final size in about 3 hrs.

So far am very happy with it, and do not think I will give it back. No chemical smells, no significant softening at the sides, no warmer than my previous, very comfortable for side-sleepers (and I am about 17st).

I like a firm mattress, and this is just about perfect for me. The absence of springs is not noticeable to me, and it is guaranteed 10 yrs not to change consistence or shape.

Worth a try? they also offer the 100-day return guarantee

BWs
    Franco, Sheffield

The wife and I tried a Simba in John Lewis, along with a load of other mattresses. We meandered along to M&S, and immediately ordered one of their mattresses. Cost £900 but they do 20% off if you buy two bits of furniture, so after a good think we went for a nice big garden bench thrown in and £40 off the mattress. I'm 6'2" (and a half, just for PhilipK) and about 14 1/2 stone, and was nonplussed by the Simba compared to the M&S one. If you have both shops near you it might be worth a try:

http://www.marksandspencer.com/l/hom...170519115956:s
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    A bit of a thread resurrection: does anyone have any updates, particularly on the Simba & Leesa mattresses? I'm inclined towards the Leesa as i sleep on my side.

Blog Entries
    I sleep on my side, and weight 105 kg - bought the Leesa about six months ago am very happy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    A bit of a thread resurrection: does anyone have any updates, particularly on the Simba & Leesa mattresses? I'm inclined towards the Leesa as i sleep on my side.
    Bought a Simba and never slept so well. Not sure how it will last, although currently the memory foam is still keeping shape. When spending this amount on a mattress, ensure you buy quality pillows, which I'd say have made as much difference as the Simba.

A year on and I'm still very happy with my Simba. One of my better investments.

Quote Originally Posted by sarky View Post
    Bought a Simba and never slept so well. Not sure how it will last, although currently the memory foam is still keeping shape. When spending this amount on a mattress, ensure you buy quality pillows, which I'd say have made as much difference as the Simba.
    i can highly recommend Dunlopillow, @ £70 not cheap but amazing pillows!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    i can highly recommend Dunlopillow, @ £70 not cheap but amazing pillows!
    Exactly what I chose, but also a 'side sleeper' too. Had to experiment, but have found the ultimate sleeping position and all is good.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The best pillow I have ever found as a side sleeper is my wife's feeding pillow she used for the kids. It's a horseshoe shape so my shoulder fits in the void whilst my head is supported. It's changed my nights sleep massively.

Master
    My other half and I both have Hypnos pillows and they are really good. We have the firm ones. They can be had for around £50-60

Master
    I'm more pumbaa than timon so 18st is too weedy for me.

Craftsman
    Just found this and we have had an ergoflex for a few years in the spare double bed and found it a tad firm and does indeed trap the heat although its still going strong and like the day it was bought.
    I have spent all week faffing about testing beds as the current relyon has bit the dust after 4 years ( the ones with a stitched on topper so not flippable) and ordered a traditional harrison that we can flip and add a separate topper if we choose . Tried some of the new gel type beds and they were like quick sand and very odd as we generally go for a firm bed