closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Is it better to follow the herd or stand out in the crowd?

Is it better to follow the herd or stand out in the crowd?

I've been considering my WIS journey of late and found this article quite thought provoking:

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/point-co...st-nice-watch/

Some of the comments in the 'IWC vs Rolex' thread are also in a similar vein ("I'm just like anybody else: I want to be a nonconformist too)."

Personally I started out with some 'avant grade' choices such as a Christian van der Klaaw and a copper dial Sinn 356 but eventually decided to move them both on. More recently I tried a steel sports Rolex for a short while and it just didn't feel right for me. My Grand Seiko quartz could be considered conservative but it has subtle design features (such as the razor sharp hands) that just make it 'pop' for me. My latest purchase will be a Sinn 556i (with the sunburst anthracite dial). I seem to be returning to more restrained/classic versions of the watches that I was originally drawn to.

I guess that so long as the choices we make truly reflect our tastes then either path is valid?

Grand Master
    For internet WIS points, Sub/Speedy Pro/G-Shock surely...?

Even the Watch Cock says that watch collecting should with something extremely personal. That's where the problem of other people also starts!
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

A watch is male jewellery that tells the time. It should be personal and it's up to you what you wear. Like art, there are tried and tested names that if you ask the question "where should I spend five grand?" you'll get a relatively safe and investment framed answer. If you ask, "what do I love?" only you can answer the question. You also find that your tastes evolve with more exposure to what's available. Most people start out with something blingy/shiny and then settle down with something more sober and works well in most occasions. (Like women in that respect!)

Justification of spending large amounts of money involve some degree of head influencing the heart and there's a lot of worry about 'getting it right'. Wear what you want and I like to think it's better to regret something you did, rather than something you didn't!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    I guess that so long as the choices we make truly reflect our tastes then either path is valid?
    I think you answered your own question.

Buy what YOU like, not what you think others will approve of...

My favourite watches are my vintage Breitling Cosmonaute and my Sinn Arktis 203.

Neither are either avant garde OR exactly obscure, but equally neither are "me too" obvious choices.

I do have (and actually am wearing today) an Omega Speedmaster, which I really like too. Certainly a 'herd' watch (here at least, I rarely see one out in the real world), but I just like the look of it (he says, taking a quick peek! )

Whether you like a Rolex Sub or a Richard Mille (and can afford one), who cares about anyone else?

M
    Last edited by snowman; 25th April 2016 at 11:05.

Depends on whether resale value plays any part...

I'm always surprised to hear people say things like "I really want a Sub, but everyone else has one, so I don't want to follow the herd."

The irony of this seems to escape them. They're still concerned about which way the herd is going, even if it's to avoid, rather than to follow them. The true individualist doesn't care about the herd one way or the other, and just follows his own taste.

Master
    It's an interesting discussion from many a point - I'd personally like the things I buy to not look ridiculous in 5, 10, 25 years time if at all possible, so tend to go for more timeless designs whilst still trying for a splash of colour here or there. I'm sure that won't necessarily be the case, but the fact that Rolex designs, for example, rarely change is one of the many reasons that draws people into the brand.

I geuss most of us follow the herd largely with the watches we buy, and then every so often go off on a tangent and indulge ourselves with a few less conformist pieces. My collection pretty much mirrors that, i have a couple Rolex and other followed brands, and a few, more obscure brands, design, colour schemes.
    So part of the herd but with a foot outside perhaps

Craftsman
    Follow the herd I say.

Craftsman
    Stand out in the crowd

If you need to ask others, very likely you are not one to stand out.

Master
    Blog Entries

re

Stand out in the crowd!

My two favourite watches are my Girard Perregaux Sea Hawk Pro2 and my Omega PloProf 1200m, I recently sold a Zenith Defy Xtreme Chronograph - all these watches are as far away from following the herd as you can probably get....although this isn't by design to be different, they just happen to be watches I really like as I never give any thought as to what 'the herd' likes or doesn't like. I do however own a Rolex GMT Blnr which is a bit 'herdy' I guess but I always feel my collection isn't complete without a Rolex and I really like this model.

Last edited by shalako; 27th April 2016 at 10:36.

Banned

Cool

I want to be a non-conformist, so I like GS and Invicta.

But in all honesty... it's just cooler to be a maverick.

edit: a good reason to follow the herd is to not lose too much re-sell value on your purchases.

I just buy what I like - but I am fortunate, I am gifted with enormous balls, impeccable taste and a complete disregard for the opinions of strangers towards my choices.
    Gray

I have a Speedmaster

Its like this though so I am part of a very small herd. Your welcome to join us of course.

I say buy what you want, after all you are the one wearing it. Who cares what anyone else thinks of your choice in watches.

Master
    All this talk of individuality is nonsense.
    As people we all follow the herd at some point for one reason / instinct or another.
    Just try it.
    Park in a car park as far away from the store and any other car as possible.
    Go shopping, you can 99% guarantee there will be some AR5EHOLE parked right next to you when you get back, so close that you have to squeeze into your car.

Just do what you like, who cares?............Apart from people who write articles that is.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    I buy what I like but took me a while to get to this stage. Ive gone through the usual Sub, GMT, AP, nautilus etc. In the end found out the watches that stays are the ones that I like.

Having said that, I do like Rolex still but I just cant help feel "douchey" when I wear one. No offence absolutely to anyone at all. Rolex are probably the best mass manufacturerd watch and I respect them greatly but its just that thought that everyone has one....

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Rolex are probably the best mass manufacturerd watch and I respect them greatly but its just that thought that everyone has one....
    If it helps, I don't have one

M.

When the madness started my only criteria was what I liked and I was fortunate enough not to have to give too much thought to resale (I've never been much of a flipper). However, as my personal circumstances have changed the possibility of having to liquidate my collection has become a significant factor in my decision making process. Inevitably, that has led me down a path to more popular designs and recognised brands. I still only buy what I like but, sadly, I now shun anything niche that would lose me a packet. First world problems, eh?

My feeling is that there is an optimum position to be in, "on the edge of the herd". Popular watches tend to have the advantage of better residuals and resale, but particularly on a fourm like this, you tend to see so many people with similar watches and it is hard to be different.

Of course a watch forum is a microcosm of the wider watch wearing public - where a manual wind speedmaster pro would be consdiered a left-field choice. But Mike Woods post on the issued watch meeting reminded me, that however rare, valuable and difficult a piece is to obtain - there is always someone out there with about 20 of them in the world of watch forums!

Therefore I tend to favour the popular brands, but look for the less popular models, or favour something that makes it a bit more indiviudal. Probably why I have ended up modifying a few watches, much to the disgust of some.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by carryondentist View Post
    My feeling is that there is an optimum position to be in, "on the edge of the herd".
    Yes, I think so. I want to be slightly different, but not THAT different!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    I just buy what I like - but I am fortunate, I am gifted with enormous balls, impeccable taste and a complete disregard for the opinions of strangers towards my choices.
    +1...........my thoughts exactly

Paul

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Interesting to think about.
    My choice as an individual favours herdy watches. I think.
    Not because I give a tiny rats behind about what anyone else thinks but because my taste is non fussy.
    The idea of wearing a multi coloured complicated frilly watch makes me shudder, so my default aesthetic choice is black silver or white dial, stainless or white gold, and my maximum amount of frills is a dive bezel. That seems to come under the herd remit even though it's coincidental.

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    +1 with the exception that I don't have a hydrocele or a scrotal hernia. You probably need to have that looked at.

Master
    I try to think that all paths are valid and have worth and so if that means you like restrained classics, so be it.

Craftsman
    I asked the herd and they told me I had to stand out in the crowd.

Had no choice really.

If you want to flip it easily on SC stay with the herd and stick to Rolex, Omega and Seiko.

When you don't care anymore what others think, life becomes enlightening. I guess I've hit that stage in my life and it's fantastic! You should try it.

Forum favourites and very popular watches hold that poisition for a reason, I sometimes wish i had followed the herd from the start as I am sure I would have been much better off

Grand Master
    If I intended to buy/flip as much as I have, I'd have stuck with forum darlings, or any other watch I didn't particularly like but thought someone else might :). As it is, I bought watches I liked the look of, and I may as well have just set fire to the money.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

There are several herds in these parts, all generating their own bullsh1t

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I have a Speedmaster

Its like this though so I am part of a very small herd. Your welcome to join us of course.

My Seamaster and I are with Ian

Go your own way, buy/wear what you want to, after all the only person who has to like your watch is you. Anyone can go Panerai & Rolex & yes they are nice watches but not exactly 'different'. I've gone Anonimo, Bamure & Mercier, Rado, Heuer & Precista a little bit left field but I like them & like I said I wear them. Good luck.

have a collection of 2-3 watches and you can be in both groups , how about that

Craftsman
    Buy what YOU want and like.

BUT remember that if it's not mainstream, it's likely there are not that many people looking to buy them, so if you decide to sell it may take a lot longer to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    My Seamaster and I are with Ian
    Dam that is cool

Choose for your own reasons, not somebody else's.

I think there is another risk with choosing an unusual piece: there may be a higher chance of not liking it as one's own tastes (inevitably?) change/fluctuate. Compounds the issue of selling on.

Blog Entries
    The opinions only matter to folks that frequent such forums as this. To the other 99.9% of humanity it is zero consequence.

So for the 0.1% watch nerds - I say - follow your dreams!

Martyn

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    +1 with the exception that I don't have a hydrocele or a scrotal hernia. You probably need to have that looked at.
    I expect they are normal sized but he want an excuse to get get them looked at.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Craftsman
    Definately go your own way. I find it depends on my mood. Love my Ennebi on a bright orange Ploprof rubber or on a different day my Rolex.

[/URL]

Niall
    Last edited by Niall1975; 29th April 2016 at 10:55.

Master
    I struggle with this. There are loads of watches I like but I know I don't keep them long so resale forms too large a part of my decision.

I think if I ever buy myself something for a special occasion I would then allow myself to stand out as I know I would be keeping it.

Quote Originally Posted by Niall1975 View Post
    Definately go your own way. I find it depends on my mood. Love my Ennebi on a bright orange Ploprof rubber or on a different day my Rolex.

[/URL]

Niall
    Like the idea of theEnebi on a PloProf strap👍

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I expect they are normal sized but he want an excuse to get get them looked at.
    😄😄

I think you should ask yourself what you like about the intrinsic characteristics of a watch when making your decision. Saying I like the watch because "everyone has one" or "not everyone has one" doesn't really justify why you like the particular watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    +1 with the exception that I don't have a hydrocele......
    Had an op to sort mine out three weeks ago - not the most pleasant way to spend your day!

Quote Originally Posted by PhiloStan View Post
    I think you should ask yourself what you like about the intrinsic characteristics of a watch when making your decision. Saying I like the watch because "everyone has one" or "not everyone has one" doesn't really justify why you like the particular watch.
    Wise words.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Why not a bit of both? Have some herd watches if you're worried about resale, but also include some riskier pieces that speak to you? Ultimately you're going to lose money on most modern watches, you're just controlling the rate more with the safer options. But then my advice is probably worthless as, looking in the box, the closest I get to herd are my Navitimer and Zenith EP, which both divide opinion and so are on the fringe. Also, the herdiest watch I ever had (SD 16600) is the one that I lost the most money on!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Thanks chaps for all the interesting responses so far.

I like the 'edge of the herd' argument (see post #24). I have an FOIS rather than a Speedy Pro because it wears better (for me) and I love the case and the alpha hands. I've seen countless Speedy Pro's out 'in the wild' but I've never seen another FOIS.

I think I like having some classics and some more unusual pieces (such as my Grand Seiko historical edition). Who knows where the path will take me next though!

Incidentally, here is Ariel Adam's take on the matter:

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/advice-c...est-watch-buy/
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 8th May 2016 at 10:56.