closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watchfinder service process

Journeyman

Watchfinder service process

Hi,

Anyone know what Watchfinder do with their second-hand watches before putting them on their shelf? I read the description on the website, which was fairly -vague, and asked in-store (London, Bank) with a similar response.

The reason I ask is I am after an Explorer I - preferably 114270 as the 36mm fits me better. However, they are asking ~£3650-3750 on average. If the movement hasn't been entirely dismantled, cleaned, re-lubed and put back together with new gaskets etc., I would probably want to send it back to Rolex to make sure it's properly done as I want this watch for my weekends shooting/swimming/sailing etc. Obviously this would add £400 to the price, at which point I may as well pick up a new 214270...

If anyone has any knowledge of the process or has managed to get more out of them than me, then that would be ideal! Same goes for any other shops with a London store - such as Blowers etc.

Thanks a lot!

If they fully serviced them then they would certainly state this. Their wording is very vague, sounds like they (might) put them on a timing machine to see if they are running well, give them a pressure test and that is it. A watch with 5 year old seals may very well pass a pressure test, but will it in a month, or a week, or a day?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix View Post
    If they fully serviced them then they would certainly state this. Their wording is very vague, sounds like they (might) put them on a timing machine to see if they are running well, give them a pressure test and that is it. A watch with 5 year old seals may very well pass a pressure test, but will it in a month, or a week, or a day?
    Yeah my thoughts exactly... I even showed them these specifically and asked "do you just pressure test them, give them a polish?". To which their response was "we give them the treatment we think necessary and provide you with a one-year warranty" haha.

Shame as I really am more comfortable buying from a store, given my lack of experience with watches. I just wish they would state how much they did to restore them. My last (and first) car I bought used had 3 breakdowns in a year... thankfully it was still under a similar 12 month warranty but it does make me wary of SH purchases...!

Master
    Why not consider something like this:

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/exp...-id1632779.htm

Or this

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/oys...-id4257875.htm

Or this

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/exp...-id2369435.htm

There are various threads relating to Chrono24 sellers you could read through if you do a search.
    Last edited by Mr_Mac; 19th April 2016 at 10:02.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    Yeah that is my other consideration! Finding a NIB, Italian deal or tax-free 214270. The issue is my wrist is 6 inches exactly and the 36mm is so much more comfortable. Thanks for reminding me of the Italian option though! There are quite a few who seem to offer an actual Rolex 5Y warranty which seems fantastic.

Master
    There are plenty of 114270 available on Chrono24, a quick search suggests you could buy one and have it serviced at Rolex and still be way under the Watchfinder price.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    There are plenty of 114270 available on Chrono24, a quick search suggests you could buy one and have it serviced at Rolex and still be way under the Watchfinder price.
    Yeah this is true although the cheaper ones do tend to be non brick-and-mortar. As I said, my lack of experience in watches makes me ever so slightly uncomfortable. I guess this is the way to do it though, provided nobody offers up extra information on the Watchfinder service process. Thank you for your advice!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RG1825 View Post
    I may as well pick up a new 214270...
    Sounds like a no brainer. Having a new watch is nicer than all that faffing around...

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    Sounds like a no brainer. Having a new watch is nicer than all that faffing around...
    Yeah if the 36mm were in production, I would nab it in a second!

Master
    Watchfinder are, in my opinion, a strikingly 'slippery' company, whose advertising can be quite, err, 'unhelpful.' The vague wording about their initial treatment of the watches is an example. They simply out them on a timer. That's it. The wording seems very carefully chosen. You know why!
    Much of what they say is hedged around with a set of 'terms and conditions' which absorbs them of responsibility for all sorts of things. They rely on no one reading the stuff.
    They are not a firm I could ever really respect.....and I speak from personal experience. You might well get an excellent watch from them, but you might not. I found their 'customer service' was designed to represent their interests, not the customers. I would sell to them, but never buy from them.
    A watch from another source, serviced by Rolex, is surely the best path. You get a real guarantee and proper paperwork.
    Last edited by paskinner; 19th April 2016 at 10:25.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Watchfinder are, in my opinion, a strikingly 'slippery' company, whose advertising can be quite, err, 'unhelpful.' The vague wording about their 'servicing' of the watches is an example. They simply out them on a timer. That's it. The wording is very carefully chosen to lack frankness.
    Much of what they say is hedged around with a set of 'terms and conditions' which absorbs them of responsibility for all sorts of things. They rely on no one reading the stuff.
    They are not a firm I could ever really respect.....and I speak from personal experience. You might well get an excellent watch from them, but you might not. I would sell to them, but never buy from them.
    A watch from another source, serviced by Rolex, is surely the best path. You get a real guarantee and proper paperwork.
    Thanks - this kind of view from someone who has more experience than me is ideal. Other source + service / settling for a new, (but large) 214270 seems like the way forward

Banned
    a new, (but large) 214270 seems like the way forward
    +1

Buying the watch you want and having to have it serviced is a lot better than buying the watch you don't quite want. That unwanted bulk isn't going to melt away.

Master
    That's confusing
    Rolex 214270 = 39mm EXP-S and the new 39mm EXP-NS

Or as I like to call them
    EXP-39s / EXP-39ns
    Last edited by nunya; 19th April 2016 at 11:36.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    That's confusing
    Yeah it is strange. I guess they aren't different enough to warrant a new reference ... Personally I like the look of both just the same.

Journeyman
    Thank you! These do look fantastic. My only worry is that a low price on Chrono24 may reflect a poor condition watch... But I guess a service would eliminate these issues anyway!

Master
    As PJ S says if the have concerns buying from abroad the watch being sold by Miltonaires the owner of which is a member here and is extremely knowleable when it comes to Rolex. I'd have zero hesitation buying from them.

Journeyman

Cheers all - very helpful responses. I guess I'll visit a boutique once more to try the bigger one, then if I can't handle it, I'll find a trusted forum dealer and send it straight in for service!

P.S. A THIRD request for Watchfinder to define their service, finally revealed that they do not fully service it - just "maintenance". Shame it took such a lot to get this out of them! Certainly not worth the premium over forum sellers if this is the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    36mm is ladies size these days. I would avoid, unless you have very small wrists.

Journeyman
    36mm is ladies size these days. I would avoid, unless you have very small wrists.
    6 inches exactly ... Smaller than my girlfriend's haha. I think it is perception that has changed - I doubt men's wrists have become larger over the past 50 years! Certainly none of the older members of my family wear anything above 36mm.

Master
    OP states he has 6" wrists, but I get your point. It appears from his original post that he has tried on the 36mm size, and he feels it suits him. As someone who also has slighter (6.75") wrists, I have come to favour the smaller watch (my last two have been a PRS 18Q and a 39mm Longines). That being said, I have become more interested in the lug to lug distance rather than the size of the dial.

Must type more quickly!

On WUS they once did a huge poll of wrist sizes - 6.75" turned out to be the average. Despite all those lardy American wrists.

There's a huge variety in wrist sizes, and there's also a huge variety in what feel people want from the watch on their wrist; the idea that one particular size towards the middle of the range of available watches is simply unsuitable for any man is bobbins.

Journeyman

Yeah I think the idea of one particular size is a problem... It also varies on where you are. I used to have a Sub C I wore at weekends and university but people did notice its relative size on my wrist so I ended up selling it as I didn't want it to stand out in the office. The fact that the lug-to-lug of the sub is 38mm and the explorer is 37mm makes me worry that the explorer might be equally noticeable!

Master
    It's the relatively modern phenomena / trend that your watch dial has to fill your wrist that fuels the larger sizes.
    For me (6.5"wrist) anywhere between 39mm and 44mm is perfect, but it does depend on the watch style, lug length, case depth, bracelet / strap integration

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you want a 36mm watch I don't see how the 214270 is a solution.

When placed side by side the 39mm looks huge.

36mm is the classic Explorer case size and looks far better on normal wrists.

I was in your shoes about a year ago and bought a 114270 from WatchFinder. I chose one that had a Rolex service card that was 6months old so I had 18 months Rolex warranty. This was listed in the description.

As it turned out the watch ran a bit fast so I sent it back to Rolex and they did a "movement adjustment" under the warranty and now I'm about 2s fast.

If the watch does not have a Rolex service card I'd assume they have done nothing.

I paid £3300 after a little negotiation.

I am happy with the watch and the buying experience and the post sales service.
    Last edited by Montello; 19th April 2016 at 13:05.

Master
    Yeah I think the idea of one particular size is a problem... It also varies on where you are. I used to have a Sub C I wore at weekends and university but people did notice its relative size on my wrist so I ended up selling it as I didn't want it to stand out in the office. The fact that the lug-to-lug of the sub is 38mm and the explorer is 37mm makes me worry that the explorer might be equally noticeable!
    Never, ever let others influence your own perception – if you were happy with the Sub, but it was others’ comments that ultimately made you sell it, then just learn to be a bit (lot?) more thick skinned, water off a duck’s back, and all that.
    You’re buying a watch, however cheap or expensive, to please yourself, no-one else – as long as you think it looks good/right on your wrist, that’s all that matters.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Never, ever let others influence your own perception – if you were happy with the Sub, but it was others’ comments that ultimately made you sell it, then just learn to be a bit (lot?) more thick skinned, water off a duck’s back, and all that.
    You’re buying a watch, however cheap or expensive, to please yourself, no-one else – as long as you think it looks good/right on your wrist, that’s all that matters.
    This is true ;( I may get another in the future when I can afford a weekend watch

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    If you want a 36mm watch I don't see how the 214270 is a solution.

When placed side by side the 39mm looks huge.

36mm is the classic Explorer case size and looks far better on normal wrists.

I was in your shoes about a year ago and bought a 114270 from WatchFinder. I chose one that had a Rolex service card that was 6months old so I had 18 months Rolex warranty. This was listed in the description.

As it turned out the watch ran a bit fast so I sent it back to Rolex and they did a "movement adjustment" under the warranty and now I'm about 2s fast.

If the watch does not have a Rolex service card I'd assume they have done nothing.

I paid £3300 after a little negotiation.

I am happy with the watch and the buying experience and the post sales service.
    That's really interesting to hear - I will ask them to keep me updated if they receive one that has had a recent service then - assuming I don't get one from a forum/member or chrono 24 - sounds like you got an incredible deal!
    Last edited by RG1825; 19th April 2016 at 13:15.

Craftsman
    I have a 36mm Explorer and 6.75" wrist, it looks fine to me, certainly not too small. I think this model is way better proportioned than the 39mm, and something of a classic. If I were you I'd hold out for the one you want, it's not exactly rare, I'm sure if you're patient you'll find the right deal. Good luck!

Master
    Blog Entries
    That's really interesting to hear - I will ask them to keep me updated if they receive one that has had a recent service then - assuming I don't get one from a forum/member or chrono 24 - sounds like you got an incredible deal!
    Yes I was happy with the deal. I was also happy to return it to Rolex post sale as that gave a little extra piece of mind that everything was as it should be.

I'd hold out for a 36mm with a recent Rolex service card. They cant be that rare ...

Grand Master
    I`ve spoken briefly with the staff at Watchfinder in Leeds. I got the impression that all watches receive cosmetic attention to get them looking good, but they don`t necessarily receive a full service. This poses something of a dilemma for buyers; even if the watch is giving good amplitude and performing well on a timegrapher it's not possible to predict how long it'll contiue to do so. On the one hand, it makes no sense to service a watch if it doesn`t need it, but on the other hand it is in the buyer's interests to know his watch will run for a few years without needing expenditure.

I don`t know whether Watchfinder show proof of recent service if it exists with a watch; it would help the buyer if they did but it would also give a basis for charging a higher price! Personally I think Watchfinder's prices are too high in many cases, particularly for watches that are 10+ years old.

As for the OP's concerns about seals and gaskets, I find that they don`t deteriorate significantly on modern watches. I`ve taken seals out of Omega SMPs that are over 10 years old and they are still serviceable. The modern synthetic rubbers don`t seem to deteriorate and in many case they get replaced as a mater of course at service time, they don`t necessarily get replaced because they're deteriorating. Provided the watch will pass a 6bar pressure test (which it should easily do) I don`t think the OP should be concerned, I certainly wouldn`t be worrying about deteriorating seals on a modern Explorer but I`d be concerned at having to fork out £400 to get the watch serviced in a the short term.

My advice is to play hardball on the price if there's no evidence of recent service by Rolex or a Rolex accredited independent. In an ideal world Watchfinder would show the timegrapher data for each watch and confirm that it's running well.......dealers just don`t want to do this for some reason and they prefer some vague statement delivered in reassuring tones.

I share the OP's enthusiasm for the 36mm Explorer....mine's on my wrist at the moment. They are the most rugged watch in the Rolex range in my view because each surface can be refinished fairly easily. No fancy bezel insert or fluted edges to get damaged, and that's a big plus in my eyes. However, given the high prices being asked by such as Watchfinder a new one starts to make more sense.....if you can live with the bigger size which personally I wouldn`t want. That's another dilemma thesedays, finding nice watches that are only 36-38mm in size.

Back to the garage for me, to resume battle with the MG. I`d rather be fixing watches than working on this thing, the novelty's well and truly worn off, sick of the smell of paint, oil and white spirit...........needless to say the Explorer will be coming off and getting put somewhere safe!

Paul

Master
    As with most retailers i doubt they would spend a penny more than they have to and from what I've read arnt a company I'd deal with anyway

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I`ve spoken briefly with the staff at Watchfinder in Leeds. I got the impression that all watches receive cosmetic attention to get them looking good, but they don`t necessarily receive a full service. This poses something of a dilemma for buyers; even if the watch is giving good amplitude and performing well on a timegrapher it's not possible to predict how long it'll contiue to do so. On the one hand, it makes no sense to service a watch if it doesn`t need it, but on the other hand it is in the buyer's interests to know his watch will run for a few years without needing expenditure.

I don`t know whether Watchfinder show proof of recent service if it exists with a watch; it would help the buyer if they did but it would also give a basis for charging a higher price! Personally I think Watchfinder's prices are too high in many cases, particularly for watches that are 10+ years old.

As for the OP's concerns about seals and gaskets, I find that they don`t deteriorate significantly on modern watches. I`ve taken seals out of Omega SMPs that are over 10 years old and they are still serviceable. The modern synthetic rubbers don`t seem to deteriorate and in many case they get replaced as a mater of course at service time, they don`t necessarily get replaced because they're deteriorating. Provided the watch will pass a 6bar pressure test (which it should easily do) I don`t think the OP should be concerned, I certainly wouldn`t be worrying about deteriorating seals on a modern Explorer but I`d be concerned at having to fork out £400 to get the watch serviced in a the short term.

My advice is to play hardball on the price if there's no evidence of recent service by Rolex or a Rolex accredited independent. In an ideal world Watchfinder would show the timegrapher data for each watch and confirm that it's running well.......dealers just don`t want to do this for some reason and they prefer some vague statement delivered in reassuring tones.

I share the OP's enthusiasm for the 36mm Explorer....mine's on my wrist at the moment. They are the most rugged watch in the Rolex range in my view because each surface can be refinished fairly easily. No fancy bezel insert or fluted edges to get damaged, and that's a big plus in my eyes. However, given the high prices being asked by such as Watchfinder a new one starts to make more sense.....if you can live with the bigger size which personally I wouldn`t want. That's another dilemma thesedays, finding nice watches that are only 36-38mm in size.

Back to the garage for me, to resume battle with the MG. I`d rather be fixing watches than working on this thing, the novelty's well and truly worn off, sick of the smell of paint, oil and white spirit...........needless to say the Explorer will be coming off and getting put somewhere safe!

Paul
    Summed up my thoughts exactly! But yes I think this kind of pricing is outrageous given that they are due a service after ten years anyway! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your 36mm explorer and a little jealous too... It'll be a good few months of looking + servicing before I get mine which kind of ruins the spontaneous purchase that I wanted to celebrate a new job and graduating...

Keep your expy away from that paint!

Some of these comments seem at odds with my recent experience when I tried to sell them a PAM 292 which was a few months out of warranty.
    They sent me a quote which was not bad but lower down they deducted a full service fee and when I queried it with them they told me they wouldn't take it unless it was fully serviced! I just saw it as me paying for their 12 month warranty so declined.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Watchfinder are, in my opinion, a strikingly 'slippery' company, whose advertising can be quite, err, 'unhelpful.' The vague wording about their initial treatment of the watches is an example. They simply out them on a timer. That's it. The wording seems very carefully chosen. You know why!
    They are not a firm I could ever really respect.....and I speak from personal experience. You might well get an excellent watch from them, but you might not. I found their 'customer service' was designed to represent their interests, not the customers. I would sell to them, but never buy from them.
    I've spoken via email with watchfinder and got a reply that initially was a bit vague saying they had replaced the crystal and Crown on a gmt I was considering.further questioning and I was told they replace with genuine rolex parts as they have an account and are close to the service centre.hope this helps.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think WatchFinder come in for undue stick here ... they are a volume shifter of watches; people who post on watch forums are not really their target market.

They buy and sell on what I suspect are thin margins so watches are not full serviced and they don't claim that ... if you want high end WIS service and all that goes with it then go to a specialist shop; there are plenty out there.

I was happy with the deal I got ... if you want a service record then just wait for one that comes up that has it ...
    Last edited by Montello; 19th April 2016 at 18:07.

Blog Entries
    I'll chip in - I have bought form watchfinder and the watch came with an in-date guarantee card. So I knew how much warranty I had so was happy. I would get a watch that has either an in-date warranty or in-date service card for assurance and you can go back to the manufacture if it needs attention. My 2 pennies.

Martyn

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I'll chip in - I have bought form watchfinder and the watch came with an in-date guarantee card. So I knew how much warranty I had so was happy. I would get a watch that has either an in-date warranty or in-date service card for assurance and you can go back to the manufacture if it needs attention. My 2 pennies.

Martyn
    Yep - that is what I did.

Rubbish

My wrist is 6.75" and 36mm is absolutely fine - I have friends with larger wrists who wear 34/35/36mm watches by preference and none of them are women. Not even transvestites.
    Last edited by Velorum; 19th April 2016 at 19:00.

Banned
    I think WatchFinder come in for undue stick here ....
    Really?

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...7R-please-help

Master

A quick Gogle suggests that lug-to-lug distance of a SubC is 47mm, the 39mm Explorer is 44mm. Looking at my SubC, that sounds right, never tried on the latter though. I stand to be corrected of course.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    A quick Gogle suggests that lug-to-lug distance of a SubC is 47mm, the 39mm Explorer is 44mm. Looking at my SubC, that sounds right, never tried on the latter though. I stand to be corrected of course.
    It's 47, closer to 48 I believe :/ I messed up originally lol - my bad. All this talk of a 36-39mm face got me thinking in the 30s. But yes I think the lug to lug is 47 so 48 if you account for the curve
    Last edited by RG1825; 19th April 2016 at 20:06.

Master
    Another dissenter here, my 36mm Seamaster is my everyday watch and I occasionally wear my late fathers 34mm Constellation, both of which are fine on my 6.75" wrist.

Also wear my 41mm SMP and my 40mm Submariner which look fine too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    That's confusing
    [Sorry, what do the 'S' and 'NS' denote here?]

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    [Sorry, what do the 'S' and 'NS' denote here?]
    I think "stubby/short and not-stubby/short" referring to the new hands that have been put on haha.

Watchfinder are fine, and the number of dissatisfied customers would seem to be small, given the amount of trade they do. They buy and sell at market rates and there can be no real complaint about that.

If a watch is running well, they give it any cosmetic attention it might need and put it on sale. They won't service watches routinely because it would raise their prices above those of competitors. They will, where necessary, have watches adjusted, repaired or serviced before sale. As Omega service agents they can presumably do much of this work in-house. If their sales blurb doesn't mention service, the watch won't have been serviced.

As far as I can tell, their practices are no different from the bulk of their competitors.

Just a thought for the OP, how about the new Tudor Black Bay Heritage? It's 36mm, brand new and under £2k with a similar feel to the EXP.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by boris9 View Post
    Just a thought for the OP, how about the new Tudor Black Bay Heritage? It's 36mm, brand new and under £2k with a similar feel to the EXP.

You are bang on - I'm tempted to wait to see the BB36 in the flesh but at the moment this is distracting me a little.

Master
    I think WatchFinder come in for undue stick here ... they are a volume shifter of watches; people who post on watch forums are not really their target market.

They buy and sell on what I suspect are thin margins so watches are not full serviced and they don't claim that ... if you want high end WIS service and all that goes with it then go to a specialist shop; there are plenty out there.

I was happy with the deal I got ... if you want a service record then just wait for one that comes up that has it ...
    Not that thin a margin in terms of watch purchase price / selling price. They do however have massive overheads in terms of shops / staff. Which is what you end up paying for. There's better places to source watches.