closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Alternatives to Sky for Pausing & Recording Live TV - Humax, EE, Youview Etc

Alternatives to Sky for Pausing & Recording Live TV - Humax, EE, Youview Etc

Hi,

As a follow on from the long running 'Just Cancelled Sky thread' I'd like to start a new discussion about the alternatives assuming you do still want to keep watching and widely using broadcast TV.

Initially my plan is to use the old Sky box as a Freesat box which Sky told me I can do as the box is mine. I will then support that with Netflix and Amazon Prime. All sounds fine.......

But as much as anything I think I'll miss the ability to pause and rewind TV so curious as to what other TZ members have done to cover off something like that or indeed whether you've given up and just gone back to live TV and missing 3 mins of a show to make a cuppa!

Also does anyone know if I buy a Humax or similar PVR can I could plug in the old Sky cable to use that as my main source of broadcast TV?

Cheers

Chris

Master
    Vu Duo 2 - just unconnect the two feeds from your Sky box, and connect them to the Duo, or you can do as you suggest and leave one feed in the Sky box to record stuff.
    Last edited by demonloop; 11th April 2016 at 11:50.

Craftsman
    I use a Humax Foxsat-HDR. Only drawback is it takes about 40 seconds to boot up from cold, but once it is on it's responsive enough.

Picture and sound are excellent as is ease of use. Had it over 5 years and it's never given me any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by gamingdave View Post
    I use a Humax Foxsat-HDR. Only drawback is it takes about 40 seconds to boot up from cold, but once it is on it's responsive enough.

Picture and sound are excellent as is ease of use. Had it over 5 years and it's never given me any problems.
    Me too.
    Cheers..
    Jase

We also have a Humax box, works really well.

I'm a big fan of YouView. Couldn't go back to the Sky UI now.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Vu Duo 2 - just unconnect the two feeds from your Sky box, and connect them to the Duo, or you can do as you suggest and leave one feed in the Sky box to record stuff.
    Do you have to pay Sky for the PVR functionality? I've read its about £10 per month?

I was waiting for the 'new' Humax FVP4000T to come out for Freeview Plus, but the reviews are generally scathing (from people that have the older Humax T-2000 box). Apparently the UI has been utterly ruined and it is now much slower, harder to use and is no longer as intuitive.

I am therefore still sitting on the sidelines waiting for an improved version to be released. All very frustrating as the BBC are now stoping their Iplayer support on my Sony smart TV, meaning that I will need to get something before September.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    I was waiting for the 'new' Humax FVP4000T to come out for Freeview Plus, but the reviews are generally scathing (from people that have the older Humax T-2000 box). Apparently the UI has been utterly ruined and it is now much slower, harder to use and is no longer as intuitive.

I am therefore still sitting on the sidelines waiting for an improved version to be released. All very frustrating as the BBC are now stoping their Iplayer support on my Sony smart TV, meaning that I will need to get something before September.
    A NowTV box is inexpensive and has IPlayer maybe as an interim.

Master
    Used one of these before and very good.

http://www.johnlewis.com/bt-youview-...=c&tmcampid=73