closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Rolex...what is reasonable customer service?

In fact Rolex have been more accommodating than most manufactures, most would ask you to go back to the retail outlet you bought it from.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    The problem is that you are discussing problems with a "holy" watch brand. If you had been moaning about Casio you would have received nothing but sympathy. Since you dare to be dissatisfied with ROLEX, many will label you as a whiner and a person who is rocking the valuable Rolex boat. Don't you realize that Rolex owners attach great importance to the resale value of their watches? The last thing they want is for anyone to besmirch the brand and discuss faults and poor treatment of customers. That might mean that they get a few quid less for their watch when they decide to sell it.

paskinner, I hope you get your watch soon and no damage has been done to it in this process. And, just ignore the whiners.
    We're all sensible people here so OP would receive the same negativity if he were to send the Casio back to the service center bypassing the AD.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    there is a problem with the date wheel, I would take it back and get my money back.

Does the AD have a letterbox?
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

How far does this ' there is something wrong so I demand my money back' go?
    If I bought a new car and after a week a windscreen wiper falls off could I get a refund?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Went to Marbella and Puerto Banus last week,Puerto Banus was okish,wasn't really impressed with Marbella at all.....been to lesser known places that were a lot nicer.
    I agree but the marinas handy for my boat.

It's useless for me, the berths are all too small.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    Does the AD have a letterbox?
    Rolex has one but only few visitors. However, there are two regulars-Cilla and GrandS. Occasionally accompanied by a certain gentelman from Netherlands and some guy who says he is Bob's dad.

Blog Entries
    You really paid full retail ?

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    there is a problem with the date wheel, I would take it back and get my money back.

Theres a problem with the glory hole.

An interesting thread. Looks to me that by post #53 the OP was happy enough.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    it might be an idea to get a second opinion, maybe on another forum...... ohh wait

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    And cue the predictable Rolex bashing.
    From reading this thread there's 4 reports of the Day-Date 40, with issues, that we know about.
    From the 100s possibly 1,000s produced I don't see how it is a common problem.
    Ok, so if it is not a common problem, then why don't they just give the OP a new watch and put this sad sorry story behind them?

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Indeed one guy actually got a new GMT direct from Rolex after a similar situation. He hadn't gone through the AD either. No doubt he was another 'attention seeker' who should be criticised for requiring his rights...
    Now, why is Rolex treating you differently from this "one guy"? Have you informed Rolex that you have changed your mind and you would prefer a new watch or a refund rather than having your watch repaired? I don't see why Rolex would not simply give you a new watch, especially since this "one guy actually got a new GMT".

Is lubricating parts viewed as a repair or a maintence/service item?

Ok, so if it is not a common problem, then why don't they just give the OP a new watch and put this sad sorry story behind them?
    Because he didn't ask for a new watch he asked for it to be repaired.

Banned
    Let's transfer this issue to Sales Corner. if you sold a used watch to someone and it arrived faulty..would you offer him his money back, without hesitation? Or would you tell him you will keep his cash and send the watch off for repair?
    Now put yourself in my position with a brand new watch. How would you feel?
    Should I expect a level of service lower than is routine between forum memers on SC?
    As for other forums, I need the wider experience of guys in the American forums, far more of whom own Day Date 40s. I'm not the only one with this problem.
    "if you sold a used watch to someone and it arrived faulty..would you offer him his money back, without hesitation?"
    Of course, and I think most forum members here would do that. Just be aware that most members of this forum have high moral standards and are not selling a watch simply to make money.

"Should I expect a level of service lower than is routine between forum memers on SC?"
    Yes, you are dealing with a large international company, not a charity or an individual. They are in business to make money.

"if you sold a used watch to someone and it arrived faulty..would you offer him his money back, without hesitation?"
    Of course, and I think most forum members here would do that. Just be aware that most members of this forum have high moral standards and are not selling a watch simply to make money.

"Should I expect a level of service lower than is routine between forum memers on SC?"
    Yes, you are dealing with a large international company, not a charity or an individual. They are in business to make money.
    It would depend on what the buyer asked me to do, but in truth the comparison is meaningless: it is neither a used watch nor a private seller here.

I still do not see why the buyer did not speak to the AD in the first place (which after all is what he said he was going to do). That way he could have asked for a refund, a replacement or to have the watch adjusted.

R
    Last edited by ralphy; 11th April 2016 at 23:51.
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Simply because the OP asked for it to be repaired, he did not ask for a refund or replacement, therefore they are only doing what their customer asked them to do.

Now, why is Rolex treating you differently from this "one guy"? Have you informed Rolex that you have changed your mind and you would prefer a new watch or a refund rather than having your watch repaired? I don't see why Rolex would not simply give you a new watch, especially since this "one guy actually got a new GMT".
    You do not know the particulars of the GMT 'case' therefore you can't really make any comparisons and/or draw conclusions as to the alleged varying levels of customer support.

Of course this being Rolex with your particular axe to grind, a company doing exactly what their customer asked for and the AD going beyond by making all the arrangements for collection and return, even though the OP didn't go through the AD in the first instance (which still seems odd to me) is now, somehow, not good enough.

Craftsman
    I bought, from a UK AD, a brand new Day Date 40

I range the service centre at West Malling, who said it seemed faulty and that I should take it to them. I did so, involving a round journey of three hours.

Later, I rang the AD, who was apologetic but only suggested that , if it helped, the watch could eventually be shipped back to them, for collection by me.

What do you think is reasonable in this situation?
    I think the Rolex service center have been reasonable. You rang them directly and they accommodated your request saying they would resolve it, which they appear to be doing.

You bypassed the AD, taking it straight to Rolex, which takes things out of their hands. They have offered to receive the watch back on your behalf, I am not sure what more you think they can do, when you have taken the watch not to them, but the original manufacturer. I think the AD has been reasonable.

Had you taken it straight to the AD there would have been more options open to you. Had you gone in and found them unhelpful you could have asked for a refund or a replacement, but you didn't. Most likely they would have offered to take the issue up with Rolex for you. At that point you would have had a right to complain about the AD if they failed to do this in a timely and professional manner.

In many ways I wish I had never started this thread, but I did get some useful advice, privately, which has speeded matters up. But I could have done without some of the unpleasantness.
    Of course any customer with faulty new goods should get first class service. In my case I have lost the pleasure that comes with owning a new watch.
    My advice is, if your new watch is faulty, reject it. No ifs or buts, just reject it. However, if faced with this situation you may find it a lot more confusing, because you will be faced with dealers and manufacturers keen to talk you into options cheaper for them. You will hear stuff like 'it's probably nothing, just a tiny fix' etc etc. And who wants to cause problems over a 'tiny fix'? You want to be reasonable and co-operative, right?
    But understand one thing... If you accept their assurances, you just become another guy whose watch needs repairing......and that's the bitter truth.
    Don't waste your legal protection.
    Bought new watch, watch has a - small - fault.
    You notify Rolex, not the seller. Rolex says: send it in, we'll fix it.
    They don't charge you.

What is the problem? These things happen.
    We're talking about a tiny repair (re-lubrication), you certainly can live for a few weeks without this watch.

Stop whining.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Now that Rolex are fawning over you everything is ok?
    Was this all about Rolex making you feel important?
    I'm going to defend the OP here. I don't think it's unreasonable when you spend a significant amount of money on a luxury good, that the company at least seem interested in your satisfaction as a customer. It's part of the experience of owning a luxury good - not just how it makes you feel when you wear it (or drive it or whatever it is) but also that the purchasing and after sales service makes you feel like the money was well spent. If all it took was a phone call and apology from a senior manager to restore that belief in the product, then great.

I'm quite sure OP wasn't looking for any kind of incentive or refund - just service that reflects the value of the object. In this case a watch which cost more than a new car.

Oh wait - I forgot, this is a Rolex we're talking about. You didn't have to go on a 5 year wait list and sacrifice your first born, just for the entitlement to give them your money? You should be grateful that they let you buy one of their timepieces! :|

Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    I'm going to defend the OP here. I don't think it's unreasonable when you spend a significant amount of money on a luxury good, that the company at least seem interested in your satisfaction as a customer. It's part of the experience of owning a luxury good - not just how it makes you feel when you wear it (or drive it or whatever it is) but also that the purchasing and after sales service makes you feel like the money was well spent. If all it took was a phone call and apology from a senior manager to restore that belief in the product, then great.

I'm quite sure OP wasn't looking for any kind of incentive or refund - just service that reflects the value of the object. In this case a watch which cost more than a new car.

Oh wait - I forgot, this is a Rolex we're talking about. You didn't have to go on a 5 year wait list and sacrifice your first born, just for the entitlement to give them your money? You should be grateful that they let you buy one of their timepieces! :|
    They immediately told him to send them the watch, they repair it free of charge.
    They do their job.

What else should they do? Send a limo with driver, champagne and some hookers to collect it?

Now your talking!
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    They immediately told him to send them the watch, they repair it free of charge.
    They do their job.

What else should they do? Send a limo with driver, champagne and some hookers to collect it?
    Errr you forgot the Coke

IMHO if I'd paid full rrp on this and had such a fault I'd like to think that a good will gesture such as the first service to be free would help put any worries I had over the watch to be put to bed.

That said I wonder what the reaction would be if the watch came back with a new fault or damage?

Master
    There seems to be a lot of irrational 'hate' towards Rolex on this thread
    Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    But that's the most stupid one so far

Master

Rolex...what is reasonable customer service?

a limo with driver, champagne and some hookers
    Funny story.
    That's how I started the evening and next morning I woke up a gold Rolex on my wrist.
    Go figure...

How did you buy your Rolex?

Master
    There seems to be a lot of irrational 'hate' towards Rolex on this thread

But that's the most stupid one so far
    My pleasure. Possibly is irrational hate - but I just don't get the hype for Rolex, I really don't.

Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    Funny story.
    That's how I started the evening and next morning I woke up a gold Rolex on my wrist.
    Go figure...

How did you buy your Rolex?
    Never owned a Rolex in my life.
    99,9 % of their range isn't to my taste (I do like some of their vintage pieces and the 5513 / 11040m).

I'm trying to be reasonable: Rolex do a lot of things I think aren't sympathetic, like their whole parts-policy, which is disgusting.
    However, they immediately were offering to help this guy, although he bypassed the regular route.
    So, they acted decent, not lavish, but they aren't obliged to do so.

Master
    Rolex do a lot of things I think aren't sympathetic, like their whole parts-policy, which is disgusting.
    What do you find disgusting in regards to their parts policy?

FFS, put a bow on this and lets move on.

What do you find disgusting in regards to their parts policy?
    Among other things the fact that they hardly supply independants, that they will keep old parts (which were bought with the watch) and that they often give people the kind advice to have some parts replaced, like dials. This often leads to diminished value, certainly with DRSD and the likes.
    I think they haven't got a lot of feeling for history and their old collection.

Master
    From my perspective the matter is now settled; Rolex are replacing the watch. That's the best solution.

Incidentally, you can find a similar situation discussed on TZ in 2014 (a faulty new GMT); that resulted in a new watch too.

Glad you got what you wanted.

Well, another blinkered brand-haters vs mindless brand-worshippers thread grinds slowly to a standstill...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    I bought a nose trimmer from Argos.

It didn’t work.

Didn’t drive to Remington in Wisconsin and ask them to fix it, just popped back to Argos and swapped it.
    Bit of difference in the type of product in hand.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
    Bit of difference in the type of product in hand.
    But, that's not relevant, or the point being made.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    I bought a nose trimmer from Argos.

It didn’t work.

Didn’t drive to Remington in Wisconsin and ask them to fix it, just popped back to Argos and swapped it.
    I bought an EvoX, had it two weeks then noticed the steering wheel wasn't straight when travelling forward.

I didn't crate it up and fly with it to Mitsubishi in Japan, I drove to the AD, they asked me, fix or reject, I chose fix with the right to reject if not happy.
    They fixed it, that was 7 years ago, still got the car and still enjoying it and didn't spend any time whinging on a forum about it

But, that's not relevant, or the point being made.
    Im sure that, over the last four (yes FOUR!) increasingly faction-based pages, the point of luxury brands and their authorized dealers offering a better level of service than "lesser" brands has been both relevant AND one of several points being made - this being a debate (albeit an increasingly crap one)...

Master
    Among other things the fact that they hardly supply independants, that they will keep old parts (which were bought with the watch) and that they often give people the kind advice to have some parts replaced, like dials. This often leads to diminished value, certainly with DRSD and the likes.
    This maybe true, I don't know, as I don't own a Rolex but...

Should they supply independants? Only if they meet certain criteria.....in which case they become authorised service centres. This adds value to their brand and maintains an enviable position

They keep parts they replace. Would you prefer to pay more money for the same service if your old parts were returned? Parts I believe are on an exchange basis

They often replace dials. If the estimate is to replace worn, faded, damaged items back to "as new" condition and they give you the choice. That's fine imo. It's possibly not in their interest or remit to promote patina.

Banned
    From my perspective the matter is now settled; Rolex are replacing the watch. That's the best solution.

Incidentally, you can find a similar situation discussed on TZ in 2014 (a faulty new GMT); that resulted in a new watch too.
    Congratulations. I am happy to hear that Rolex did the right thing. I suggest that you check it carefully with a loupe and make sure it works correctly, date change, etc. before you fully accept it.
    Last edited by GrandS; 12th April 2016 at 19:09.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Im sure that, over the last four (yes FOUR!) increasingly faction-based pages, the point of luxury brands and their authorized dealers offering a better level of service than "lesser" brands has been both relevant AND one of several points being made - this being a debate (albeit an increasingly crap one)...
    That's partially the issue, the OP didn't go through the AD, therefore didn't give them the chance to show any customer care.
    Once they did know what the situation was they stepped up and offered to make all the return arrangements for the customer, saving him all the hassle.
    Apparently that wasn't ass kissy enough and the whining started. All turned out OK in the end as the OP said he's getting a new replacement.
    I still feel that this could all have been avoided, irrelevant of manufacturer, if he'd just gone back to the AD

Well everythings peachy then!
    That'll be the end of the matter...

...surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Well everythings peachy then!
    That'll be the end of the matter...

...surely?
    Well, we need pictures no?

Banned
    Yes, this is a problem and it is hard to fathom why they do these things, such as insisting on keeping old parts and refusing to service a watch without ruining it, destroying the patina.

http://www.rolexforums.com/archive/i.../t-270135.html

"Dropped my 168000 sub off to rolex NY. they just called with estimate. I am being told that they have to replace dial and hands. hands luminous cracked and dial and hand luminous damaged.....

what do I do....."

"they refuse with-out changing Dial and hands-."

"Part of my Subs charm is the Patina in it's dial and hands. It's what separates my sub from most if not all subs I see out in the wild. if I wanted new, id buy it.

thanks"

Yes, this is a problem and it is hard to fathom why they do these things, such as insisting on keeping old parts and refusing to service a watch without ruining it, destroying the patina.

http://www.rolexforums.com/archive/i.../t-270135.html

"Dropped my 168000 sub off to rolex NY. they just called with estimate. I am being told that they have to replace dial and hands. hands luminous cracked and dial and hand luminous damaged.....

what do I do....."

"they refuse with-out changing Dial and hands-."

"Part of my Subs charm is the Patina in it's dial and hands. It's what separates my sub from most if not all subs I see out in the wild. if I wanted new, id buy it.

thanks"
    Are you not just going to eat crow now they did what you suggested would be appropriate for a watch company [now the OP actually asked for that]?

Well, we need pictures no?
    Of? The OP smiling happily?
    Nah - l'd say (please!!!) things have fazzled out nicely...

Banned
    Are you not just going to eat crow now they did what you suggested would be appropriate for a watch company [now the OP actually asked for that]?
    Yes, I wish the OP would elaborate on why they changed their mind. Were they reading this forum perhaps? It turns out that questioning their practices has led to a good result for the OP. I think everyone should be pleased and learn the lesson that they should not accept poor service, even if the company providing it happens to be called Rolex.

Any chance to make hurtful comments, seize it.
    You should get out more, or grow thicker skin :D

Master
    Watch found faulty from new, customer asks for warranty repair, manufacturer agrees, customer then changes their mind wants a replacement, manufacturer agrees.

I really don't see how that was bad service.
    Or where the manufacturer gave into forum / customer pressure and changed their mind, from what I read they have only done what the customer wanted.

So, all good, no?

Master
    It's over and I am pleased. I do think that sometimes you have to be firm if you feel things aren't being dealt with effectively. Hopefully, this sort of situation is very rare. In this case, I was able to explain why I felt the situation had not been handled too wonderfully; and the matter was resolved in a friendly manner.
    Why did it take a few weeks? Because, although I didn't know it, a key person in the decision making was on holiday. Once he returned and saw the issue, everything fell into place. Things can be that random.
    Know what outcome you want; then be polite, be firm, stick to your guns. I should get the new watch early next week.