TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rogue One-A Star Wars Story-Teaser Trailer Released

Master

Rogue One-A Star Wars Story-Teaser Trailer Released

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wji-BZ0oCwg

Looking forward to this as much as EpVIII

Hope Vader is in it.
    Last edited by wampa; 7th April 2016 at 14:50.

looks good. although I didn't like the new additional functionality the death star seems to have, I suddenly had a flashback to when we found out R2D2 could fly at some stage (episodes 2 and 3) :(

i would bet on seeing a young Tarkin, Leia, possibly Darth Vader too, and it might crossover into the young han solo spin off perhaps?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hicksmat View Post
    looks good. although I didn't like the new additional functionality the death star seems to have, I suddenly had a flashback to when we found out R2D2 could fly at some stage (episodes 2 and 3) :(

i would bet on seeing a young Tarkin, Leia, possibly Darth Vader too, and it might crossover into the young han solo spin off perhaps?
    What's the Death Star's new function?

Looking forward to seeing some of the old characters in there.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hicksmat View Post
    looks good. although I didn't like the new additional functionality the death star seems to have
    Isn't that the weapon dish being installed, rather than new functionality?
    Last edited by StackH; 7th April 2016 at 15:24.

Craftsman
    Star Wars going all in on the strong female leads for this generation.

Journeyman
    Interesting, hadn't heard about this. Looking forward to December!

Quote Originally Posted by StackH View Post
    Isn't that the weapon dish being installed, rather than new functionality?
    could be I guess, its not that obvious. :)

Isn't 'Rogue' getting a little hackneyed? A little like calling anything with new technology an 'iCar' or whatever. I'll definitely be going to the cinema to watch this, and probably buying some of the Lego, and I hope they put as much effort into this one as they did The Force Awakens.
    "A man of little significance"

Rogue One trailer: 12 things you might have missed from the Star Wars spinoff's first look
    New Stormtroopers, mystery villains and space ninjas.

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/sta...ff-first-look/

some interesting stuff here, items 6, 11, 12

and

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/sta...ones-jyn-erso/

Master
    Being a total SW geek I'm just happy it's got Star Destroyers, even white ones, AT-ATs & loads of Stormtroopers in it.

Vader would be a real bonus.

Hope it's a bit darker than the Episode films.

Blog Entries
    My youngest and I have just watched the trailer and it's a 'thumbs up'. My 13 y/o SW fan is delighted.

Menno

I read somewhere that they already have the Vader suit ready - and an actor to wear it.

I heard as well that they are recreating Peter Cushing wholly with CGI for his Moff Tarkin character due to his involvement before 'A new hope'. Be interesting to see if that materialises

Quote Originally Posted by maxwellwd View Post
    I heard as well that they are recreating Peter Cushing wholly with CGI for his Moff Tarkin character due to his involvement before 'A new hope'. Be interesting to see if that materialises
    I enjoyed watching the Grand Moff in the Star Wars rebel cartoon series.

Master
    Heard that the CGI bit may have been ditched

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wampa View Post
    Being a total SW geek I'm just happy it's got Star Destroyers, even white ones, AT-ATs & loads of Stormtroopers in it.

Vader would be a real bonus.

Hope it's a bit darker than the Episode films.
    Yes..that would be perfect.

Master
    Blog Entries
    AT-ATs have always been my favourite SW vehicle. I am officially excited about this film

Blog Entries
    Any rumours on Mads Mikkelsen's character ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    Any rumours on Mads Mikkelsen's character ?
    There's a few bits online but they contain a few spoilers too

Blog Entries
    There's a few bits online but they contain a few spoilers too
    Would love to see the Emperor in this one. My favourite character by a mile. Cad Bain rumours sound great !

Watched this last night and loved it, really looking forward to December!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Materialises, excellent.

Master
    Hang on, hang on. Where in the series does this film slot then? Is it nothing to do with the Star Wars series directly?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Hang on, hang on. Where in the series does this film slot then? Is it nothing to do with the Star Wars series directly?

Between III & IV. It's the story of how the Rebels obtained the plans for the Death Star that Leia puts in R2 at the beginning of EpIV.

As i understand it, the plan for the new films is to release a non episodic 'spin off' film in between each of the new trilogy episodes. All 3 have already been announced, so release order is

2015 ep7 force awakens
    2016 Rogue 1 (story of how the rebels get hold of the death star plans used in ep4)
    2017 ep8
    2018 As yet untitled Han Solo story "focuses on how young Han Solo became the smuggler, thief, and scoundrel whom Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi first encountered in the cantina at Mos Eisley"
    2019 Ep9
    2020 As yet untitled Boba Fett story

And then Disney will carry on milking it making new movies until everyone's had quite enough and they ruin everyone's fond memories of the series

Brighty

Master
    Between III & IV. It's the story of how the Rebels obtained the plans for the Death Star that Leia puts in R2 at the beginning of EpIV.
    Thanks for clarifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post

And then Disney will carry on milking it making new movies until everyone's had quite enough and they ruin everyone's fond memories of the series

Brighty
    Sadly true. Loved the originals, didn't even mind the prequels, and rather enjoyed 'Awakens', but I feel that the spin-offs can only serve to dilute what has been a great series :-(

Others, of course, may see it totally differently, which is fair enough :-)
    Last edited by Mouse; 8th April 2016 at 11:00.

Nice analysis here of the trailor, makes some interesting reading

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/rogu...-first-trailer

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Sadly true. Loved the originals, didn't even mind the prequels, and rather enjoyed 'Awakens', but I feel that the spin-offs can only serve to dilute what has been a great series :-(

IMO in the period after ROTJ when no films were in the pipeline, Lucas kept messing with the OT & even the toys had turned a bit sh+t with Hasbro's Power of the Force line, it was the quality spin offs like Heir to the Empire that kept it all going for die hard SW fans. Disney bought the whole SW universe so why not explore the sub plots & darker side of it? Fans have asked for it for so long.
    Last edited by wampa; 8th April 2016 at 12:37.

Wampa......if you're going to quote me, please quote me correctly. I did make an edit before you posted. Thanks :-)

Craftsman
    Watched it last night on the bigscreen. Then watched it again, then again, untill I had I realised I had watched it 7 times.

I have never as hyped for a film by a trailer, more excited for this than I was for VII. It looks utterly fantastic.

Thanks wampa

Master
    Thanks wampa
    No problem, I was mid-ramble & didn't notice. I don't want to argue with anyone about SW, not even I'm that much of a fanboy. Although, if anyone says Greedo shot first then that's fighting talk

Quite enjoyed that, but lets hope they don't go spoiling stuff too much.

Fish

Master
    Oh goody goody goody!

I can't wait!!

Master
    Ip Man in Star Wars, what more could anyone want?

OMG yes please!

Journeyman
    Looking forward to this, looks good fun!

It's great to see the classic imperial uniforms and weapons back again, and even original rebel characters back.

I didn't find the first order in the awakens film quite as convincing. If this film goes back to the style and period of the original three films I think it could be less of a 'dilution' than the prequels or force awakens.

Journeyman
    Not seen that. Sent me giddy. Anyone got a time machine. Can't wait

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    It's great to see the classic imperial uniforms and weapons back again, and even original rebel characters back.

I didn't find the first order in the awakens film quite as convincing. If this film goes back to the style and period of the original three films I think it could be less of a 'dilution' than the prequels or force awakens.
    It's interesting how we all perceive things differently. I thought that 'Awakens' had recaptured the feel of the originals quite well - it just seemed 'right' to me. I like that it didn't take itself too seriously and think that going 'darker and deeper' via the spin-offs is not so good. Star Wars, for me, has always been just an entertaining, fun, adventure type thing...with humour at its heart. Hopefully, they'll stick with that format in the next sequel.

Craftsman
    At least it can't be worse that the other prequels.

Master
    I think one of things that sets the new films apart from the prequels is going back to the use of models, real locations/sets & real stunts in conjunction with digital effects rather than just green screen & digital filming. The attention to detail with the filming, such as film cameras being used for EpVII & this new one being filmed on 70mm just like EpV was, give the new ones a different feel to those prequels. I'd love to see Rogue One in 70mm Panavision. I heard that the Kodak film company will survive due to EpVII & that EpVIII will be filmed on 65mm Kodak film.

They feel older even though they are newer.

Less green screen, like when the OT was shot:

I think one of things that sets the new films apart from the prequels is going back to the use of models, real locations/sets & real stunts in conjunction with digital effects rather than just green screen & digital filming. The attention to detail with the filming, such as film cameras being used for EpVII & this new one being filmed on 70mm just like EpV was, give the new ones a different feel to those prequels. I'd love to see Rogue One in 70mm Panavision. I heard that the Kodak film company will survive due to EpVII & that EpVIII will be filmed on 65mm Kodak film.

While I agree with the above, one of the biggest issues with the prequels was George Lucas having full control, don't get me wrong I'm not one of the cliched haters, but the dialogue and delivery in 90% of the prequels was just terrible.

Master

While I agree with the above, one of the biggest issues with the prequels was George Lucas having full control, don't get me wrong I'm not one of the cliched haters, but the dialogue and delivery in 90% of the prequels was just terrible.
    Yes, like Mark Hamill said when filming EpIV "People don't talk like this" & Harrison Ford's famous quote; "You can type this sh+t George, but you sure can't say it". Lucas is a king of wooden, cheesy dialogue. This was taken to new heights in the prequels though, talking to a stick with a marker ball on top in a green screen room with nothing in it would test even the most convincing of actors, never mind Hayden Christensen!

Don't hate Lucas either, he put the whole thing together & put a group of amazing people together in Industrial Light & Magic, without them there wouldn't be Pixar or similar. He just lost it IMO, when he said EpI was the best SW film because it made the most $, I thought SW has lost it's way.

Disney want $ as well but as long as it's done properly like the original trilogy was rather than the way the prequels were done I'm well happy. Like someone said earlier I hope the main Ep films continue to be a bit cheesy, action/adventure orientated films because that's the kind of films I like taking my own kids too now a proper family matinee Flash Gordon style film. At the same time I hope these spin offs are something different from what's gone before.

Yes, like Mark Hamill said when filming EpIV "People don't talk like this" & Harrison Ford's famous quote; "You can type this sh+t George, but you sure can't say it". Lucas is a king of wooden, cheesy dialogue. This was taken to new heights in the prequels though, talking to a stick with a marker ball on top in a green screen room with nothing in it would test even the most convincing of actors, never mind Hayden Christensen!

Don't hate Lucas either, he put the whole thing together & put a group of amazing people together in Industrial Light & Magic, without them there wouldn't be Pixar or similar. He just lost it IMO, when he said EpI was the best SW film because it made the most $, I thought SW has lost it's way.

Disney want $ as well but as long as it's done properly like the original trilogy was rather than the way the prequels were done I'm well happy. Like someone said earlier I hope the main Ep films continue to be a bit cheesy, action/adventure orientated films because that's the kind of films I like taking my own kids too now a proper family matinee Flash Gordon style film. At the same time I hope these spin offs are something different from what's gone before.
    Agree with all of this, I just think the ego got a bit big when doing the prequels, so much wasted opportunity. Long may they continue,TFA was fantastic in my view. Not sold on the Han Solo origins movie yet though, casting is absolutely key here.

I think Rogue one looks great - I was 8 when I saw Star Wars and was hooked, love all the original trilogy, and the look and feel of the trailer was spot on for me. I'm no fan of the prequel trilogy although there are little bits I like. I want to say I liked the force Awakens, but sadly as almost a complete reshoot of Star Wars (now called episode 4 a new hope but Star Wars to me!) I thought it was pretty naff. And I can't remember a note of the score, which should be epic in a star wars movie!
    I don't have an issue with Disney actually - if they'd not bought the rights, I think Star Wars would be 'over' - and having different directors should keep it interesting. Just thought the Walkers and Stormtroopers - plus the death star - looked amazing in the new trailer!!

Looks excellent. Cannot wait for this.

I'm glad Disney hasn't 'Disneyfied' the franchise and kept the films dark. If not darker.

Master
    Like the look of this a lot. Watched the 2 series of the Rebels cartoons on Disney XD culminating in the feature length Twilight of the Apprentice, as good as some of the films that so it seems to me a storyline area they can ply almost endlessly.