closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: TEA BOXES BACK IN LIDL

TEA BOXES BACK IN LIDL

Heads up to all interested. The Ernesto Tea Boxes are on sale today in Lidl at £6.99.
    I know that they make good watch store/display options with a few mods.
    They were not available last year, but are back again today

Or you could just buy an actual watch box for £5.99

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-GRID-WA...IAAMXQlgtS8xT-

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post

Where's the fun in that? You wouldn't get to wrap your collection worth many thousands around pipe lagging and store it in a rough plywood box.

Having had both, the Tea boxes are much better quality...

M.

Apprentice

the piece in the ebay is really a good thing! nice watch collection case with an affordable price!

I have some of my watches stored in a LIDL tea box but as above, it's a bit rough and ready. The plastic 'glass' broke far too easily and unless you line the box with something, it will scratch your pride and joy. I'm always on the look out for something better but most watch boxes look naff to me unless they cost £££££s.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Peixian View Post
    the piece in the ebay is really a good thing! nice watch collection case with an affordable price!
    Quote Originally Posted by doubledee View Post
    I have some of my watches stored in a LIDL tea box but as above, it's a bit rough and ready. The plastic 'glass' broke far too easily and unless you line the box with something, it will scratch your pride and joy. I'm always on the look out for something better but most watch boxes look naff to me unless they cost £££££s.
    I have one like in the ebay link, faux leather, velvet-ish lining, great for the money and finished quite well for the price. Only niggle is that depending on how a leather banded watch 'sits' with its buckle it can be proud of the case.
    At the bottom of this picture

Master
    Went out and got one this morning when alerted by another thread.

Box construction is actually rather nice, solid wood and proper cabinet construction, let down only by the crappy plastic window. I like tinkering however so it will be off to the workshop at some point this weekend to see what I can make of it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    I have one like in the ebay link, faux leather, velvet-ish lining, great for the money and finished quite well for the price. Only niggle is that depending on how a leather banded watch 'sits' with its buckle it can be proud of the case.
    What's the gold chrono one in the drawer of the (amazing) watch winder?

Journeyman
    Great thread the one just above looks mega.... congrats mate

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    What's the gold chrono one in the drawer of the (amazing) watch winder?
    It's a Megir MEGIR Brand Luxury Men Military Casual Watch Chronograph Sub-Dial Work Rose Gold Stainless Steel Men's Quartz Dress Wristwatch Waterproof.

It was all of £28, liked it so much I bought the SS version (to the left) and the Tank SS version (to the right)
    The whole bundle was under £75 from China, they all keep good time, fit well on the wrist and are fully functional.

Funnily enough from that picture it's the one that gets the most queries

Master
    It's a Megir MEGIR Brand Luxury Men Military Casual Watch Chronograph Sub-Dial Work Rose Gold Stainless Steel Men's Quartz Dress Wristwatch Waterproof.

It was all of £28, liked it so much I bought the SS version (to the left) and the Tank SS version (to the right)
    The whole bundle was under £75 from China, they all keep good time, fit well on the wrist and are fully functional.

Funnily enough from that picture it's the one that gets the most queries

Mine was not the best quality

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Mine was not the best quality
    Yeah, not great but they are built to a price, a very low price. I must be lucky as none of mine have had bits fall off............................................... ........... yet

Craftsman
    Does anybody know if you can get watch softer cushions that can fit in this case? Apart from the leather issue that has pointed out, I find that I have a similar issue with not being able to close bracelets due to the size of my puny wrists & the hardness of the cushions that don't allow me to close the clasp comfortably.

Master
    Doesn't look like you can go wrong for the price, assuming you drink tea..

I don't, so i'd just go with one of the generic £10 12-watch boxes off amazon/ebay. Sure they are not brilliant, but are great for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Doesn't look like you can go wrong for the price, assuming you drink tea..

I don't, so i'd just go with one of the generic £10 12-watch boxes off amazon/ebay. Sure they are not brilliant, but are great for the money.
    You do know they come empty?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    You do know they come empty?
    Really?? I only saw the picture in the leaflet that had it full of colourful teabags. In that case, i retract my statement. A built for purpose watch box seems a far better purchase for a couple of quid more (imo)

Master
    Really?? I only saw the picture in the leaflet that had it full of colourful teabags. In that case, i retract my statement. A built for purpose watch box seems a far better purchase for a couple of quid more (imo)
    Or less

Master
    Or less
    Just spluttered a little at the stated RRP haha. even cheaper than when I bought one of those then. It is cheap, flimsy, the cushions are crap and roll all over the place, but it does its job just great.

Or less
    Horses for courses.

If you've got a nice collection of watches far better off buying a proper one for £5.99 than a tea box from Lidl.

Master
    Just spluttered a little at the stated RRP haha. even cheaper than when I bought one of those then. It is cheap, flimsy, the cushions are crap and roll all over the place, but it does its job just great.
    Yes, yes they are, but they're £5.99 and keeps all my crappier watches in one place rather than all over the place.

Master
    Yes, yes they are, but they're £5.99 and keeps all my crappier watches in one place rather than all over the place.
    Yup, I got fed up with tuppawear so recently bought a big new box for my nicer ones, so I could have this to keep the rest injury free. Really can't complain for the price

Master
    I had a box like that, in a bedside drawer like that, until the thief took it.

Get a safe chaps.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    I had a box like that, in a bedside drawer like that, until the thief took it.

Get a safe chaps.
    A safe would probably cost more than those watches are worth. My other box is a different story though. I live life on the edge though, no safe, no locks, a permanently unlocked backdoor, no insurance of any kind, and living in a shared flat. Student life :)

I don't know about using them for watches, but I use mine to hold watch straps and they do a grand job.

The quality of those cheap 'watch cases' is pretty awful. They're cardboard/hardboard covered in fake (plastic) leather with catches that fall off and thin perspex window lids. The cushions are cardboard roles with a bit of velour on.

They look OK online and hold your watches, but the Lidl tea boxes are much more substantial.

I only use my 'watch cases' when I go away to store my valuable watches out of sight, the cheap ones stay in the the tea boxes.

If you're happy with cheap cases, the ebay ones are fine for the price, but don't believe you're getting a better quality product than the tea boxes...

M.

^^^ I agree. I find the wooden construction of the tea boxes quite pleasing, and much more attractive than some cheap watch cases I've seen.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    The quality of those cheap 'watch cases' is pretty awful. They're cardboard/hardboard covered in fake (plastic) leather with catches that fall off and thin perspex window lids. The cushions are cardboard roles with a bit of velour on.

They look OK online and hold your watches, but the Lidl tea boxes are much more substantial.

I only use my 'watch cases' when I go away to store my valuable watches out of sight, the cheap ones stay in the the tea boxes.

If you're happy with cheap cases, the ebay ones are fine for the price, but don't believe you're getting a better quality product than the tea boxes...

M.
    Yeah, as I say, not great quality, but nothing has fallen apart on mine, working exactly as it should. At this price point, neither the tea box or watch box is going to be brilliant, but my point was more that for the same price you get something designed for the job, no running around trying to find lagging :) If i went with a wooden watch box, i'd try and convert something antique and mahogany. I get very picky when it comes to wood alas.

Mine might actually be different to the ebay one, havn't checked, but while the cushions are admittedly crap, the box is surprisingly sturdy for the price, and despite being thrown around the room, not a mark or scratch to the PU leather.

hahahaha

Yeah, as I say, not great quality, but nothing has fallen apart on mine, working exactly as it should. At this price point, neither the tea box or watch box is going to be brilliant, but my point was more that for the same price you get something designed for the job, no running around trying to find lagging :) If i went with a wooden watch box, i'd try and convert something antique and mahogany. I get very picky when it comes to wood alas.

Mine might actually be different to the ebay one, havn't checked, but while the cushions are admittedly crap, the box is surprisingly sturdy for the price, and despite being thrown around the room, not a mark or scratch to the PU leather.
    Yeah, they do a job.

If people are really interested there are some truly lovely wooden (and even Carbon Fibre and other more unusual materials, if that's your fancy) watch boxes available, at a price, but compared with what some here spend on watches, a bit of a bargain!

M.

Master
    Holy s**t... murder much???

Master
    Yeah, they do a job.

If people are really interested there are some truly lovely wooden (and even Carbon Fibre and other more unusual materials, if that's your fancy) watch boxes available, at a price, but compared with what some here spend on watches, a bit of a bargain!

M.
    It's all swings and roundabouts really. Nothing wrong with either solutions at the price. And agreed, I've come here from TWF, and the level of watches over here is quite astounding compared to overe there were a sub might be as extravagant as you read about.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    Holy s**t... murder much???
    Not my favorite knives, but someone was in desperate need to get rid of them while cleaning hose for a move, so even though I had no use, offered to help out. My real knives are stored more appropriately, although there are about 40 dotted around my bedroom here and there. God forbid if anyone does try and break in while i'm in bed :) I've a deactivated Thompson to add to the effect. Who needs a safe :)

Master
    Not my favorite knives, but someone was in desperate need to get rid of them while cleaning hose for a move
    Lol, is that what they told you? ;)

I had fun lining mine with an old suit. Sure I could have speant some money on a proper box, but I like how mine turned out.

^^That must have been some dodgy suit!^^

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    Lol, is that what they told you? ;)
    Haha, normally i wouldn't have had anything to do with it, but it was from a known member over on TWF who knew of my collection of knives so felt that i wasn't about to be taking possession of weapons involved in a crime and such. I've about as much use for those as I do the watches in the box.

My real knives are stored more appropriately, although there are about 40 dotted around my bedroom here and there. God forbid if anyone does try and break in while i'm in bed :)
    Detracting from topic, if someone does break in while youre in bed, in the long moments it takes for you to effectively awaken, you've provided them with about 40 ways to stab you - in the event they didn't bring their own...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Detracting from topic, if someone does break in while youre in bed, in the long moments it takes for you to effectively awaken, you've provided them with about 40 ways to stab you - in the event they didn't bring their own...
    I know where they are and they dont (next to the pillow or out of anyone's convenient reach). Also, I've never been in the military, but I've one of those annoying habbits when the instant I wake, I'm wide awake. And I count on them having a knife, gives me justification to pick up mine :) it is a complicated story, but I am playing extra time, so I'm happy to go out in a flurry of activity if that is what is required. I'm more than willing to do what is required, to hell with how I come out of it. My opinion is if you break into a house you forfit your right to life, simple as that. Lowest if the low.

I know where they are and they dont (next to the pillow or out of anyone's convenient reach). Also, I've never been in the military, but I've one of those annoying habbits when the instant I wake, I'm wide awake. And I count on them having a knife, gives me justification to pick up mine :) it is a complicated story, but I am playing extra time, so I'm happy to go out in a flurry of activity if that is what is required. I'm more than willing to do what is required, to hell with how I come out of it. My opinion is if you break into a house you forfit your right to life, simple as that. Lowest if the low.
    Have you considered moving to another neighbourhood ??

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Have you considered moving to another neighbourhood ??
    Haha. Lewisham is hardly the nicest borough, but is cheap and convenient for uni. I don't have any genuine fear of burglary, they're just next the bed because no different to watches, I can't put the things down :)

To bring it slightly back on topic, I recently bought this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

While I've only had it a few weeks, for the price it seems far beyond anything else I've encountered in terms of a large budget box.

How old are you?

Master
    How old are you?
    A mere 27. Supposedly I'm wise beyond my age, but I disagree entirely.

Some of my views are a touch extreme I'll admit, but I've an issue with folk who rob others. I'll leave it at that though, keep politics and legality out of it.
    Last edited by hafle; 31st March 2016 at 22:18.

A mere 27. Supposedly I'm wise beyond my age, but I disagree entirely.
    So do l. You're not.

Master
    So do l. You're not.
    So from what, 2, maybe 3 posts, you've an understanding of me. I might be perceived as a tad irrational, we all have our own norms and values, but how about getting to know someone before you pass judgement ;) they've a saying for that you know.

So from what, 2, maybe 3 posts, you've an understanding of me. I might be perceived as a tad irrational, we all have our own norms and values, but how about getting to know someone before you pass judgement ;) they've a saying for that you know.
    "lnsecure kid"? Except at 27, youre a very old kid... Are you ok?

Apprentice
    Indeed, I'd like something that's going to last a good while.

Yeah, they do a job.

Have you got any links, or any brands you can recommend?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by doubledee View Post
    I have some of my watches stored in a LIDL tea box but as above, it's a bit rough and ready. The plastic 'glass' broke far too easily and unless you line the box with something, it will scratch your pride and joy.
    I use a Lidl tea box and to avoid scratching I lined each row with some dark green felt glued in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I use a Lidl tea box and to avoid scratching I lined each row with some dark green felt glued in.
    I'm going to do this too when I read further up and back what others had done ...... & ordered 10 watch cushions from Amazon.....

but I did wonder why initially, as to how wood would scratch stainless and sapphire for example?

I'll still cover it though

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lordloz View Post
    but I did wonder why initially, as to how wood would scratch stainless and sapphire for example?
    This is my thought. I reasoned that wood is unlikely to scratch any part of the watches I put in my Lidl boxes.

I've left the boxes as bare wood with pipe lagging cushions and it's worked fine for me: No scratches.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    This is my thought. I reasoned that wood is unlikely to scratch any part of the watches I put in my Lidl boxes.

I've left the boxes as bare wood with pipe lagging cushions and it's worked fine for me: No scratches.
    Yep....I think I may not cover as my cack handed arts and crafts attempts may make a hash of it....

Let you know about cushions...