closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood Pressure

Blood Pressure

I went to the Doctors on Tuesday for another matter (cold related) but as it took nearly a month to get an appointment my cold has cleared up. Anyhow he ended up having my blood pressure taken which was high. I have had it taken before and it spikes high when I'm at work in the mornings. I have tried to address this using diet and exercise. Anyhow on Tuesday my pressure was up again and the doctor prescribed Amlodipine, I took twice but had very nasty side effects. (Headache and Phantom Limb Pain) Has anyone else used this drug? I won't be taking it again. I need to seek other remedies.

Blog Entries
    I was diagnosed with "Essential Hypertension" around 15 years ago. My GP tried several drugs before we settling on Atenolol which keeps it under control without any undue side effects. I did try various drugs at first (I can't remember their names now), the worst of which gave me a really bad, almost uncontrollable dry cough and others which made me feel very tired.

TBH I'm not sure whether taking Atenolol very long term is a good thing but it seems to do the job. I think you'll need to try and see what works for you - which might take a bit of "suck it and see".

Won't bore you with my BP saga, but would just say - don't feel you're being awkward by complaining of side effects. There are a lot of drug types available and your GP will be working to a sequence approved by NICE and cost will be a high priority in the prescribing regime.

Anecdotally, I suspect that a very high percentage of patients try at least three changes of drug, before finding one that suits. Or giving up.

So, give each one a fair crack, but don't be embarrassed to keep going back, you are far from alone; and side effects can be distressing in one patient and non-existent in another on the same drug.^^^^^^^^

Think I might become a vicar; I can't be less effective that the one in 'Grantchester'.

Before taking medication long term buying your own monitor and testing yourself over a period of time is sometimes a good idea.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    Before taking medication long term buying your own monitor and testing yourself over a period of time is sometimes a good idea.
    This, which I forgot to mention in my original post; buy a decent BP monitor and take regular readings on a daily basis (better if you try to have a set time) and keep a record. It is your health after all.

I keep a spreadsheet which has allowed me to track my BP for years. I used to take readings 2-3 times a day at first, now perhaps only 2-3 times a week (unless I spot an anomaly).

Yea I'm going to get one today, thanks chaps.

Latest advice is to diagnose hypertension only after a 24 hour blood pressure monitor, not on a single reading (unless exceptionally high). Worth insisting on that initially, you may have white coat effect.
    I'm guessing you're aged over 55 if your GP prescribed amlodipine. It is the recommended drug for that age-group, and not on cost grounds. It can give side effects as you describe. There are plenty of alternatives, but atenolol (as mentioned above) is low on the list. Bet you are given ramipril next!

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    I have so called 'white coat syndrome' and if I just look at a BP tester in a doctor's surgery it sends the dials right off the scale. As a consequence I ended up buying one of these, which is exactly the same model - without the memory bells and whistles - as the ones that are loaned out by my local surgery for self monitoring.

Many GPs work off a first reading followed by a reading less than a minute later which will often give a false high.
    And how many follow these guidelines?
    Dr. R M. Firth, MD , Family Medicine, answered on behalf of Intermountain Healthcare
    It’s vital that blood pressure measurement is accurate. You don’t want your blood pressure treatment to be based on incorrect measurements. Here are some tips to ensure you get the most accurate readings possible:
    Try to get readings at a consistent time each day--usually morning or evening. Your blood pressure can fluctuate by 20-30 mmHg at various times of the day and can change based on what you’re doing.
    Don’t take your blood pressure within a half hour of eating a heavy meal, drinking caffeine, exercising, or using tobacco products. These things can temporarily raise your blood pressure.
    Remove jewelry or clothing that interferes with cuff placement.
    Make sure the blood pressure cuff is the correct size for your arm, and that it’s positioned correctly with no wrinkles in the cuff.
    Sit quietly for 5 minutes or more, with both feet flat on the floor, before taking your blood pressure. If possible, rest your arm at heart level on a table or arm of a chair.
    Take 3 readings about 5 minutes apart.
    Last edited by patrick; 31st March 2016 at 10:38.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RABbit View Post
    Latest advice is to diagnose hypertension only after a 24 hour blood pressure monitor, not on a single reading (unless exceptionally high). Worth insisting on that initially, you may have white coat effect.
    I'm guessing you're aged over 55 if your GP prescribed amlodipine. It is the recommended drug for that age-group, and not on cost grounds. It can give side effects as you describe. There are plenty of alternatives, but atenolol (as mentioned above) is low on the list. Bet you are given ramipril next!
    I had the full "works" when I was initially diagnosed - 24hr BP monitoring (had the device strapped to me and IIRC it took readings every 15-20mins. Also had a kidney function check where I had to collect all my pee for a 24hr period etc. Had various cardio vascular tests too and the usual Cholesterol checks etc. So I assumed it was the same for all across the NHS.

When you say "...but atenolol (as mentioned above) is low on the list"..what do you mean? Can you please elaborate?

Master
    I was prescribed Ramipril when I was diagnosed with HT last year, but I got joint pain and a really annoying persistent dry cough with it.

I went back to the doctor and mentioned the side effects and she changed me onto Losartan, which is working great.

I've been on Amlodipine for at least 5 years now without any ill-effects. My BP wasn't particularly high but my doctor wanted me to take the meds to ensure it was low. I've been reading that dried beetroot can be beneficial in reducing BP and it's got to be worth a try.

When we had BP checked in the army, we had to sit in a darkened room for at least 10 minutes before they checked it. I'm hardly surprised that mine is sometimes high at the surgery after battling the school run on the way to my appointment.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    I am on both amlodipine and atenolol, and have been for 12 years. Only side effect for me is leg / ankle swelling for which I have co-amilofruse.

Years ago I had marginally low blood pressure, yet following blood transfusions mine went through the roof; does make you wonder!!

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post

When you say "...but atenolol (as mentioned above) is low on the list"..what do you mean? Can you please elaborate?
    Atenolol would be a 3rd choice antihypertensive at best nowadays. I'm not suggesting you should stop it, it may well be the best one for you if you have tried others, and there may be good reasons to use it in certain circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    I am on both amlodipine and atenolol, and have been for 12 years. Only side effect for me is leg / ankle swelling for which I have co-amilofruse.
    So amlodipine is giving swollen ankles as a side effect and you take a diuretic to counter it? Better to change amlodipine to something else, surely?

24h holder is the way to go

I saw diagnosed with high BP last year following a Vitality Health general check. I was given the 24-hr monitor, and then prescribed 2.5mgs of Ramipril. I bought a BP monitor but haven't taken it out the box yet (8 months on) to take a subsequent measurement, so don't know if the Ramipril is working (I'm assuming it is as the heart-beat sound in my left ear after climbing 7 flights of stairs has since disappeared).

Anyway, no side-affects for me (that I have noticed).

My task now is to lose some weight and try to bring my BP down to get off the meds.

I had a similar thing a few years back at a new doctors as part of their standard new patient intake procedure. My BP was dangerously high, so I was handed a leaflet on BP problems, told to read it (in no uncertain terms) and to take on-board/follow any guidance if any of the information contained in the leaflet could be the cause of my problem. If my BP wasn't better when I returned then they would look into medication.

Having read the info, I instantly thought that salt may be the problem.
    I cut out salt from my diet (I was over-doing it with everything I cooked/ate) and a week later my BP had dropped to virtually normal levels again. Unfortunately all of my food tasted of absolutely nothing for about 2 months, but I have had normal BP ever since and have not needed medication.

It may be well worth looking into external causes and monitor your BP as others have already said.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RABbit View Post
    So amlodipine is giving swollen ankles as a side effect and you take a diuretic to counter it? Better to change amlodipine to something else, surely?
    I would agree, but the high blood pressure ones all seem to have the same side effects.

Almost seems to be a standard practice, you take one drug to combat something, and then another to attend to the side effects of the first. I am on 7 different ones a day, and a couple are to deal with side effects.....

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    I had a similar thing a few years back at a new doctors as part of their standard new patient intake procedure. My BP was dangerously high, so I was handed a leaflet on BP problems, told to read it (in no uncertain terms) and to take on-board/follow any guidance if any of the information contained in the leaflet could be the cause of my problem. If my BP wasn't better when I returned then they would look into medication.

Having read the info, I instantly thought that salt may be the problem.
    I cut out salt from my diet (I was over-doing it with everything I cooked/ate) and a week later my BP had dropped to virtually normal levels again. Unfortunately all of my food tasted of absolutely nothing for about 2 months, but I have had normal BP ever since and have not needed medication.

It may be well worth looking into external causes and monitor your BP as others have already said.
    I have cut salt out period, I like Bacon which is salt heavy that will have to be limited I'm sticking wit low carb diet though!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    I have so called 'white coat syndrome' and if I just look at a BP tester in a doctor's surgery it sends the dials right off the scale. As a consequence I ended up buying one of these, which is exactly the same model - without the memory bells and whistles - as the ones that are loaned out by my local surgery for self monitoring.
    Bought one thanks!

I have and (sometimes) use a monitor with an upper-arm cuff. Has anyone tried one of the wrist BP monitors? Even better, does anyone know of a comparison of the accuracy of two types, please?

PS Before we go there, I don't mean absolute accuracy, as I only use mine to follow the trend of any changes in my overall BP. What I probably should have said is a comparison of their precision and repeatability. Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by grey View Post
    .. don't feel you're being awkward by complaining of side effects. There are a lot of drug types available ... don't be embarrassed to keep going back, you are far from alone
    This is excellent advice.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    I have and (sometimes) use a monitor with an upper-arm cuff. Has anyone tried one of the wrist BP monitors? Even better, does anyone know of a comparison of the accuracy of two types, please?

PS Before we go there, I don't mean absolute accuracy, as I only use mine to follow the trend of any changes in my overall BP. What I probably should have said is a comparison of their precision and repeatability. Thanks...
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...s/faq-20057802

Thanks for that.

I've been on amlodipine for about 9 yrs, as well as losartan and bendroflumethiazide, since my early 30's. No side effects at all. I was on something else to start with, but it gave me a weird tickly cough, especially at bed time, so that was swapped for one or other of my current meds.

Brighty

Blog Entries
    Diagnosed with high BP about 7 yrs ago. And alarmingly high! I wasn't allowed to work for a while. I'm currently on Perindopril and it works perfectly. Getting your weight under control (if needed off course) is also a great way to control your BP. In my case, loosing 10kg was enough to lower the annual dosis by 50%!

New on the market is an implant from (I think) Medtronic. It looks to be a great success for those who suffer from uncontrolled high BP. Google 'implant high blood pressure'. The results look very good!

Menno

Master
    I'm on Amlodipine and Ramipril and Atorvastatin (plus a few other daily's) and have no side effects that I'm aware of?

Journeyman
    Sorry to hear about the diagnosis. Headaches are common with calcium channel blockers but as mentioned there are plenty of other options. I'm going to link to a website that describes all of the different treatment options available for high blood pressure, including the merits and drawbacks of each. It was created by the British medical journal and NHS so can be considered reliable.

http://sdm.rightcare.nhs.uk/pda/high-blood-pressure/

Banned
    I take lisinoprol. spelling?

To use the monitor I sit down close my eyes, breath slowly and just let it wash over me.

I can get a lot lower reading that way.

Apprentice

Smile one more reading tip

they guidelines hear advise always to ignore first read and take the 2nd (in row) as the correct read.
    thats on an automatic BP monitor.

the hose BTW should sit on the inner side of the wrist (oppose the elbow).

best treatment is to avoid this site and alike, especially sales corners....

be well.
    Last edited by tzachi; 1st April 2016 at 03:08. Reason: wrong icon

I never understood blood pressure readings, had a full check up last week mine was 152/98 or maybe the other way round. Anyway two weeks in the Maldives then I go back to see the consultant when I get home. What's high, normal or low? Does it work on an age, height weight thing?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    I never understood blood pressure readings, had a full check up last week mine was 152/98 or maybe the other way round. Anyway two weeks in the Maldives then I go back to see the consultant when I get home. What's high, normal or low? Does it work on an age, height weight thing?
    It should be lower- I'm on 1.25 Ramipril and mine is 135/85 but was similiar to yours prior to medication.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    It should be lower- I'm on 1.25 Ramipril and mine is 135/85 but was similiar to yours prior to medication.
    Thanks Craig, what difference do you notice by it being lower? Or is just a should be lower to live longer?

Master
    Thanks Craig, what difference do you notice by it being lower? Or is just a should be lower to live longer?
    I notice no difference- high blood pressure is sometimes known as the silent killer- it should be lower to reduce risk of strokes etc.

I took three readings yesterday 150/91, 137/87 140/80(all before 10pm) I'll fill in the chart and try to build up a picture, not convinced I need medication.

I'm on Losartan 100mg, Bendroflumethiazide 5mg and Amlodipine 10mg.
    I check my BP regularly and try to take the Amlodipine every 2-3 days (ok'd by my GP) because of the side effects.
    My ankles swell up so much it looks like my legs are the wrong way up!
    I used to take Ramipril (and most of the other ones ending in ...pril) and suffered every side effect listed!
    Mid 130's over mid 80's is good for me. I can tell when it starts to creep higher, I get headaches and lack of sleep.
    Last edited by bigvic; 1st April 2016 at 09:36.

Drinking a glass of beetroot juice a day is supposed to help with blood pressure. Don't overdo though as too much can, apparently, lead to complications with diabetes.

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    I'm on Losartan 100mg, Bendroflumethiazide 5mg and Amlodipine 10mg.
    I check my BP regularly and try to take the Amlodipine every 2-3 days (ok'd by my GP) because of the side effects.
    My ankles swell up so much it looks like my legs are the wrong way up!
    I used to take Ramipril (and most of the other ones ending in ...pril) and suffered every side effect listed!
    Mid 130's over mid 80's is good for me. I can tell when it starts to creep higher, I get headaches and lack of sleep.
    That's exactly the doses i'm on, have been for years with no problems. But recently i've been getting swollen ankles and feet, wonder if it's the amlodipine then? Off to the drs for me i think.

Brighty

Nope...there are not (AFAIK) any age, height or weight parameters for adults.

As for what is being measured the NHS explain it here: link:

Blood pressure is measured in millimetres of mercury (mmHg) and is recorded as two figures:

• systolic pressure – the pressure of the blood when your heart beats to pump blood out

• diastolic pressure – the pressure of the blood when your heart rests in between beats, which reflects how strongly your arteries are resisting blood flow

For my own purposes I made these notes (NB For anything above normal BP the upper bound is the highest reading that fits the associated description):

Normal
    daytime
    < 135 / < 85 mm Hg
    nightime
    < 120 / < 70 mm Hg at night
    Levels above
    during the day
    140 / 90 mm Hg
    at night
    125 / 75 mm Hg
    …should be considered as abnormal

upper bounds
    sys
    dia
    category
    eek!
    ≥ 180
    ≥ 110
    hypertensive emergency
    too high
    hypertension - stage 2
    high
    hypertension - stage 1
    raised
    prehypertension
    normal
    desired
    low
    hypotension (low BP)
    Last edited by PickleB; 1st April 2016 at 11:00.

I took three readings yesterday 150/91, 137/87 140/80(all before 10pm) I'll fill in the chart and try to build up a picture, not convinced I need medication.
    Usually a clearer picture will take a couple of weeks,taking two readings at different times every day.

Google 'porridge and blood pressure' for some advice

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master
    ...I'm at the hospital next week for the 24hr monitoring thingy. Anybody had this done before? what is it like? how do they fix it to your arm for 24hrs?

Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    ...I'm at the hospital next week for the 24hr monitoring thingy. Anybody had this done before? what is it like? how do they fix it to your arm for 24hrs?
    Lots of info on the net; 24 hour blood pressure monitor...you might also Google that term. If you then select Images you'll see plenty of pictures of various makes of kit, but most seem to use a standard inflatable cuff held up by friction.

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Google 'porridge and blood pressure' for some advice

dunk
    Diet has a big part to play in lowering blood pressure along with the obvious salt lowering.Drinking lots more water helps too.

"Dehydration: Chronic dehydration also can be a cause of high blood pressure by making the body to hold onto sodium. This increases blood volume and thus blood pressure. Make a point of drinking a minimum of eight and preferably 10 to 12 glasses of pure, filtered water every day."

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.
    Try Asda they recently had some salter monitors for £7.50 i think.

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.
    I'd be really concerned with the 98 .

Quote Originally Posted by the big fella View Post
    Am booked back for a round up with the consultant in a few weeks, I know I'm ov weight and at risk which is why I booked the private check up. They took blood as well and run liver, kidney and a few other checks. I know diet and excessive is the answer just want to hear it from a specialist.

Am booked back for a round up with the consultant in a few weeks, I know I'm over weight and at risk which is why I booked the private check up. They took blood as well and run liver, kidney and a few other checks. I know diet and exercise is the answer just want to hear it from a specialist.

Master
    I went in for an operation with a reading at 98 and they would not go ahead!!