closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: yonsson at Baselworld 2016

Blog Entries

yonsson at Baselworld 2016

Thought I'd summarize my Baseltrip. This was my first trip and I didn't really know what to expect.
    if you didn't already know, Baselworld is a sales and press exhibition. If you are not a dealer or don't have connections to make appointments then all you'll be doing is window shopping.
    This means your experience will differ depending on what brands you have booked appointments with.

Luckily I traveled with a store (Klockmaster Globen) from Stockholm, with Molle and had we also had press cards issued from a Swedish newspaper that is sent out to the Swedish watch stores.

First up was Arnold And Son & Angelus watches. Very impressive stuff of course, from double tourbillions to split second chronographs all with every part individually finished by hand.

Next up, Casio. Expanding their "expensive" Masters of G models by adding a new Frogman model and by releasing a rescue color combo of the Mudmaster and Gulfmaster. Casio also adds a new Edifice model with a spinning globe on the dial.

Casio also released a MT-G in aged steel and a MR-G nicknamed Hammertime made by hammering titanium the old "samurai armor way".

And last but not least, the all new smart watch.

TAG Heuer is incorporating new materials and Hublot style models like the tourbillion model above. Not at all strange if you are aware of the new member of the board now with TAG Heuer. They are also releasing more vintage influenced models with the old Heuer logo.

Breitling keep experimenting with new materials releasing titanium, ceramic and carbon (I'm guessing) watches.

Otis released new inhouse 10 day movement and keep rolling out good sized divers watches. They also released a carbon model.

Sinn also goes inhouse, well, not really but they are now using a manual wind exclusive to Sinn German manufactured movement. They also released a great split second chronograph.

Victorinox released titanium INOX models and a new larger INOX.

After some haggling we got to see some great stuff from Citizen that will probably never make it to Sweden. Above you see a quartz watch with a movement which is 1mm thick.

SEIKO released a lot of great models this year. The SRPA21 is of course one of them. With a very clear connection to the Scubapro 6306-7040 collaboration, the PADI Turtle will surely become a fan favorite. We actually sold 50 of these as a "group buy" in 1,5 days to members of a Swedish watch forum during Baselworld 2016. How crazy is that?

SEIKO also released a Prospex Astron crossover divers watch which is a model that instantly made sense. SEIKO released a three handed Astron as well which is more to my liking than the dual time and chronograph Astron models.

For Grand SEIKO they released 4 different ceramic models and a platinum 8 day spring drive model.

After two days of insisting and asking politely Molle got to take the first ever live photos of the 8 days GS.

So how would I summarize the trip? Fantastic! It was everything I expected and more. I had great traveling companions and the personal meetings with the brands was a great way to learn details about new and old models from each brand. It was hard work to post online and to be present at the fair at the same time but it was worth it.

Lessons learned for next year: Bring more power banks and don't be scared to have some unbooked time between meetings.
    Last edited by yonsson; 26th March 2016 at 23:22.

Thanks for that, will all the furore around Rolex, Tudor and Patek we forget that the likes of Citizen, Casio and Victorinox are there.

Whoever designed that Brietling dial with the date window cutting into the O of 10 needs slapping.

I'm not sure how a watch made from Titanium can be called an Inox, except I suppose titanium is stainless (inoxydable).

Enjoyable read and photos. Thanks for sharing with all of us.

Great stuff.
    Thanks for posting.
    From your pics,Casio black red combo and Seiko PADI stand out.

Nice article, great pics.

Thanks for sharing. Tell us more about the 8 day pls.

I really like the look of those grey faced Victorinox models, the colour pop from the seconds hand and strap really works.

Fantastic pictures. Thanks for sharing! That Sinn small seconds is absolutely stunning.... any idea how much monies?
    Last edited by silly; 26th March 2016 at 23:08.

Thanks for sharing! Looks like you had a great time.

Photos are excellent too!

Who's the big ginger bouncer on the bottom pic? He looks nails!!

Nice report. I like the looks of the 2 Oris divers and the PADI Seiko.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Tell us more about the 8 day pls.
    Molle asked to take pics of the 8 day GS over a period of 2 days, when we were finally allowed to see the watch IRL the SEIKO contact gave us 5 official minutes (more like 10 minutes) to take some photos. They emptied a room for us and I of course knowing about Molles photo skills and passion just chilled out and took some metaphotos of Molle while he photographed. The light wasn't good for taking photos and there was not enough time to set up a light box but the photos turned out good anyway.

Right after taking the photos we were late for a dinner meeting so Molle just quickly went through the photos and posted two photos on his Instagram. It was a great experience. :)

Sorry, I misunderstood the question, 43mm platinum case, manual wind 8 day spring drive movement. Price is about €60000.
    Last edited by yonsson; 26th March 2016 at 23:14.

^^^
    Bet it was :)
    So are they making 8 pcs per year or 20?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    Thanks for sharing! Looks like you had a great time.

Photos are excellent too!

Who's the big ginger bouncer on the bottom pic? He looks nails!!
    That's me posting photos online.

Great post yonsson. The new Casio Frogman looks interesting. I really like Sinn's 856 B-Uhr.

A great Read. Thanks.

I am drawn to the Seiko Spring Drive Chronograph.

Master
    Great round-up, thanks. I enjoyed it very much this year, but one day just wasn't enough. I'm off to the Victorinox site right now...!!

"TAG Heuer is incorporating new materials and Hublot style models like the tourbillion model above. Not at all strange if you are aware of the new member of the board now with TAG Heuer. They are also releasing more vintage influenced models with the old Heuer logo".

Agreed - with newer designs and their "aggressive" pricing I can see them selling a lot of watches over the next few years. Whatever people have to say about the brands he looks after JCB certainly seems to know his market.

Blog Entries
    MB2:
    I got the feeling that TAG knows exactly what they are doing. They are going for big sizes with most of their models which despite what the forum members say seems to be what the market is requesting, at lease the TAG Heuer buyers.
    Last edited by yonsson; 27th March 2016 at 17:57.