closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grand Seiko or Tudor?

Of the two watches shown, I would go with the Tudor.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post

That's more like it.

Ultra high beat so no horrible PR dial plus it loses all of the garish accoutrements of the original model posted.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I am amazed by the number of people who would choose the Tudor over a Titanium GS Spring Drive GMT!
    The mind boggles.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    The GS seems aimed at the more discerning customer, less addicted to notions of status. You can't pose in a normal GS, it is indeed a grand version of a Seiko. And all the better for it . It's a quiet pleasure in a somewhat noisy world. Most people will ignore it, that's fine.
    Nicely put. I don't think the GS here is their best looking model have no doubt it will be top quality. I would look for one second hand though or at a large discount like Jura recently offered but that is rare.

One can pose with the notion of a GS

Tudor between these two, or some other GS, this is ugly, IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by markosgr28 View Post
    Tudor between these two, or some other GS, this is ugly, IMHO
    Yes that was my reasoning too. Quite a few GS are shall we say garish - this being one of them. The Spring Drive Titanium Chrono being another with the chrono pushers which are way too big. Had the GS been the Spring Drive Snowflake - then it would have been different.

I'd vote for a GS, just not that one

Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    I am amazed by the number of people who would choose the Tudor over a Titanium GS Spring Drive GMT!
    The mind boggles.
    Perhaps they simply think it looks better than the GS offering posted here?

I certainly do.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Perhaps they simply think it looks better than the GS offering posted here? I certainly do.
    Me too. I know GS are beautifully made and technologically superior to many other brands - I just think this one is ugly...

Simon

Craftsman
    Love the tudor, am thinking about it myself though haven't had the chance to try it on.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    The GS SBGE015 GMT is one of the best watches in the world, and way out in front of a lot watches costing a lot more.... But I'll be surprised if you can find one. I have rarely ever seen one for sale.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    Buying from Japan or Thailand will surely work out much cheaper. If you get a price from the US let me know and I will see how that sits against the pricing I am able to get
    I reckon that if the OP can really get one for £3900 then he should snap it up! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would have thought that getting a SBGE015 for the equivalent of £3900 anywhere would be quite difficult. It always had a higher RRP than the SBGE001 I think (which can be had for the equivalent of about £3900 in the USA).

Just one comment to the OP: If you are buying this from the USA and having it shipped into the UK, don't forget to budget for the VAT @ 20%, so about £780 (plus £15 or so for the courier's fee). If your buying price of £3900 includes the VAT then definitely, definitely buy it!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by soesgsxr View Post
    although I find the GS a fantastic watch it would always be only a Seiko in my feeling.
    That's part of the joy of owning a GS, your average TAG Heuer wearer will assume that their timepiece is far superior to that 'cheap Seiko' on your wrist, when in fact YOU KNOW the opposite is true. I've only had one GS, it was the SBDG029 Diver Spring Drive the quality was amazing and when I let non WIS types handle it, even they were shocked at the quality. I wouldn't buy a GS new though, buy used and it shouldn't lose too much money.

I thought I should give you all a quick update. I decided against the Grand Seiko in the end as I tried on the steel version and found it a bit big for my girlie wrist. Also the fact that I wasn't able to see it in person before spending that amount of money was another negative. That left the Tudor, which I like but I just couldn't bring myself to put a deposit down for it. However I stumbled across this limited edition Grand Seiko ref Sbgx089. Yes it's a quartz but that doesn't bother me. The proportions I know will be a comfortable fit on my wrist, anti magnetic and I really like the touch of gold on the dial/seconds hand. Currently on its way to me from Japan and I ended up spending a lot less than I thought I was going to.

Quote Originally Posted by mark.wilo13 View Post
    I thought I should give you all a quick update. I decided against the Grand Seiko in the end as I tried on the steel version and found it a bit big for my girlie wrist. Also the fact that I wasn't able to see it in person before spending that amount of money was another negative. That left the Tudor, which I like but I just couldn't bring myself to put a deposit down for it. However I stumbled across this limited edition Grand Seiko ref Sbgx089. Yes it's a quartz but that doesn't bother me. The proportions I know will be a comfortable fit on my wrist, anti magnetic and I really like the touch of gold on the dial/seconds hand. Currently on its way to me from Japan and I ended up spending a lot less than I thought I was going to.

^^^ Nice choice and not one I've seen before

Master
    Goodness, that GS GMT is utterly lovely. That would be my choice by a large margin. Very special. I am quite envious....I want one.
    Sadly, for me, Tudor is the lower grade version of Rolex . The Grand Seiko isn't the lower version of anything, especially with spring drive..

However I stumbled across this limited edition Grand Seiko ref Sbgx089.
    That's rather lovely.

Wrist shot when it turns up?

Blog Entries
    Oh yeah, I like that! A bit different.

Good choice and actually closer in looks to the Tudor than the original GS you were looking at so makes a better comparison.

Master
    Congratulations...I think you will be delighted when that big box arrives from Japan. Very few people regret buying a Grand Seiko. And you will never meet another person wearing the same watch. Like the red font too, unusual for a GS.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    That's rather lovely.

Wrist shot when it turns up?
    Of course!!

Awesome, mind if I ask where you got it? I am sorely tempted by the SBGX091 myself.

Journeyman
    It could be argued badge snobbery, of course, but no way I'd spend that much money on a Seiko GS, tech marvel or not.

The test, for me, is listening to someone asking "what car/watch/bike etc do you have", and where the simple answer has to be explained further to a layperson.

e.g. I have a Lexus. But it's a Lexus LFA. You know, the supercar one off Top Gear that is £350,000.

It's not that the answer has to be a "badge", more that it shouldn't have to be explained further.

At that point, the mystique has gone and, to me, it's no longer sought after.
    Last edited by Siac; 5th April 2016 at 11:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Siac View Post
    It could be argued badge snobbery, of course, but no way I'd spend that much money on a Seiko GS, tech marvel or not.

The test, for me, is listening to someone asking "what car/watch/bike etc do you have", and where the simple answer has to be explained further to a layperson.

e.g. I have a Lexus. But it's a Lexus LFA. You know, the supercar one off Top Gear that is £350,000.

It's not that the answer has to be a "badge", more that it shouldn't have to be explained further.

You have all my sympathy. I however don't feel any need to explain my watch choices to non-WIS, hence I love wearing my SBGR061.

Pic borrowed from another thread:

Cheers,
    Christian

I see your point, but I always underplay that sort of thing.

For me a Lexus LFA would be idea (in this respect anyway) in that I'd enjoy saying "I've got a Lexus" and having the other person imagine it was an i200.

If I had a Jaguar XJ220, I'd say "I've got a Jaguar" and let them think it was an old X-Type, similarly I'd say "A Lancia", if it was a Stratos.

It wouldn't work with a Ferrari or a Lamborghini, of course.

If I knew the person was really interested in cars, I'd say an "LFA", "XJ220" or "Stratos" knowing they'd know what that was, but for the general public, flaunting a brand name just sounds a bit vulgar to me...

Sadly I only own a Mazda

M

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
    You have all my sympathy. I however don't feel any need to explain my watch choices to non-WIS, hence I love wearing my SBGR061.

Cheers,
    Christian
    That is a beauty, no question. I think the rich colour of the strap works wonders compared to the steel bracelet.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I see your point, but I always underplay that sort of thing.

... If I knew the person was really interested in cars, I'd say an "LFA", "XJ220" or "Stratos" knowing they'd know what that was, but for the general public, flaunting a brand name just sounds a bit vulgar to me...

Sadly I only own a Mazda

M
    I can see both sides too. I like the reference to the interested parties where you'd say "Seiko GS" or some such, that makes sense.

Hmm, the vulgarity of the flaunting though... :)

Why else do people buy a watch that costs thousands, rather than a £9.99 Casio from Argos - it's a flaunt by simply wearing it, no?

Else why buy it in the first place?

Master
    I bought my GS for my personal pleasure of wearing it. So personal snobbery but no flaunting to others. I like that to them it's just another Seiko and i only seek to educate if they specifically ask. Anything else might lead to a reduction in scarcity which simply wouldn't do

Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post

Cheers,
    Christian
    Anyone who claps eyes on that and thinks "that's just a Seiko" is an idiot anyway. Is the approval of idiots worth much?

Blimey I want one

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Awesome, mind if I ask where you got it? I am sorely tempted by the SBGX091 myself.
    I bought mine from a dealer off Global Rakuten.

I recommend Omicron watches for the model your after and they ship to the UK:

http://www.omicronwatch.com/#!produc...9-2b37d58ea2e7

I know Higuchi and Seiya Japan are held in high regard on this forum but I don't believe they ship GS to Europe any more.

It could be argued badge snobbery.
    I don't think there is any argument. What you have just described is badge snobbery.

Master
    I bought mine from a dealer off Global Rakuten.

I recommend Omicron watches for the model your after and they ship to the UK:

http://www.omicronwatch.com/#!produc...9-2b37d58ea2e7

I know Higuchi and Seiya Japan are held in high regard on this forum but I don't believe they ship GS to Europe any more.
    Higuchi may state that publicly; the reality is rather different.l. My new GS sbgx117 is due to be posted on Thursday. I imagine Seiya might be equally helpful. I find the' block' on European sales especially distasteful because the European dealers don't even offer some of these watches.
    Last edited by paskinner; 5th April 2016 at 13:19.

Journeyman
    I don't think there is any argument. What you have just described is badge snobbery.
    Could well be and that is part of it, of course, else why buy expensive watches in the first place.

Craftsman

idiots

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Is the approval of idiots worth much?
    I don't know...... Trump seems to be seeking it, and doing just fine ;)

I can see both sides too. I like the reference to the interested parties where you'd say "Seiko GS" or some such, that makes sense.

Hmm, the vulgarity of the flaunting though... :)

Why else do people buy a watch that costs thousands, rather than a £9.99 Casio from Argos - it's a flaunt by simply wearing it, no?

For one's own pleasure? I don't expect anyone to be impressed by my watches, cars, shoes, clothes, pens, knives, coffee machines, whatever...

I'm as equally baffled why anyone would buy things in the hope of impressing other people as you seem to be as to why people would buy things EXCEPT to impress others...

M

Journeyman
    For one's own pleasure? I don't expect anyone to be impressed by my watches, cars, shoes, clothes, pens, knives, coffee machines, whatever...

I'm as equally baffled why anyone would buy things in the hope of impressing other people as you seem to be as to why people would buy things EXCEPT to impress others...

M
    Nope, you lost me in the middle of that last jumbled up sentence?

Quote Originally Posted by JasH View Post
    I don't know...... Trump seems to be seeking it, and doing just fine ;)
    I think Trump in 2016 is proving the worth of the admiration of idiots

Nope, you lost me in the middle of that last jumbled up sentence?
    Try again then, I think it's clear enough

M.

Journeyman
    Try again then, I think it's clear enough

M.
    It's OK, I'm sure I can move on without worrying about your sentence structure.

It's OK, I'm sure I can move on without worrying about your sentence structure.
    Indeed, more important things to worry about...

M.

That's nice and understated much better than the GS you looked at originally IMO.

The red lettering and style is reminiscent of the old black dialled Rolex Milgauss 1019 in my mind.

A good thing.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries

That stuff is only important if you are in effect buying to please other people or improve how they see you.

If you buy for your own pleasure then it just doesn't matter.

"Yes, it's just a Seiko" is an adequate answer for me.

Could well be and that is part of it, of course, else why buy expensive watches in the first place.
    For personal pleasure and satisfaction.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 5th April 2016 at 15:17.

Master

Because I can and I want one for ME
    If someone thinks I'm a flash so and so for wearing it, fine
    If someone thinks I've more money than sense, fine
    If someone likes the look of it, fine
    If someone hates the look of it, fine
    If someone is jealous of my disposable income, they should have worked harder at school and once employed, worked smarter

Because I have an interest in watches and Grand Seiko make excellent watches. You could argue for the money that there is nothing better out there. Out of interest can I ask where your point of view is coming from? As a member of a watch forum I imagine you have an interest in such things and would therefore buy watches based on more than the brand on the dial?

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Higuchi may state that publicly; the reality is rather different.l. My new GS sbgx117 is due to be posted on Thursday. I imagine Seiya might be equally helpful. I find the' block' on European sales especially distasteful because the European dealers don't even offer some of these watches.
    That's good info. I will keep that in mind if I ever buy a Grand Seiko in future. What I find ridiculous is the RRP for GS in the UK compared to Asia. It is crazy that even if VAT added you can buy the same watch from another continent for a considerable saving compared to an AD based in the UK.

Master
    A minor point. Wouldn't all Quartz watches be 'anti-magnetic' ? What is there to magnetise?

Blog Entries
    What I find ridiculous is the RRP for GS in the UK compared to Asia. It is crazy that even if VAT added you can buy the same watch from another continent for a considerable saving compared to an AD based in the UK.
    Yes, it does seem bonkers, doesn't it.

It's almost as if it's a test to see how desperate we are to buy the watches.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Yes, it does seem bonkers, doesn't it.

It's almost as if it's a test to see how desperate we are to buy the watches.
    Given that Seiko UK's GS distribution is a handful of private jewellers in random places, numbered in the single digits, Seiko sure doesn't seem desperate to sell them!
    Last edited by andrew; 5th April 2016 at 17:52.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

to the interested parties where you'd say "Seiko GS"
    But you wouldn't say Seiko GS would you, you'd simply say "Grand Seiko"...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Given that Seiko UK's GS distribution is a handful of private jewellers in random places, numbered in the single digits, Seiko sure doesn't seem desparate to sell them!
    Indeed. In this light, I was actually quite surprised to hear that they are planning a Seiko boutique for London.

I often wonder if the very small number of UK GS ADs is because only a few dealers want to take them on or because Seiko are trying to be super-exclusive.