closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grand Seiko or Tudor?

Grand Seiko or Tudor?

I have narrowed down my next watch to:
    1. New Tudor Black Bay with the in house movement (70hr power reserve).

Or

2. Grand Seiko GMT SBGE015. Made of titanium with the spring drive movement and 72hr power reserve.

I am torn between the two! In my head the Grand Seiko probably steals it but the Tudor will be significantly cheaper at £2510 vs around £3900 for the GS!

Thoughts most welcome!

GS. The Tudor is nice, but I'd add it later.
    It's just a matter of time...

Both excellent watches but my vote goes for the Seiko

The GS - if you can find one that is as I thought the Ti version was pretty difficult to source.

Blog Entries
    The GS (first). I'd go for the Black Bay as well in due course (although the red bezel ETA version for me).

Is the SBGE015 really available for £3900?

If you can afford it the GS is by far and away a better watch.
    If only they did a moving bezel GS GMT without the power reserve. It just doesn't need it.
    Dave

GS. The Tudor could be gotten at a later stage. The GS above is a stunning watch but it wouldn't be my first choice when picking a GS GMT.

Looking forward to seeing the pics.

I have the GS (Limited Edition Asian model-blue face and yellow GMT) and it is an absolutely cracking watch and looks particularly spectacular at night with the lume.

I love the look of the Tudor but I think the GS is even more special.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The GS would be my choice - does the bezel rotate on this model?

The Tudor crown Tube is even more irritating than the GS power reserve.

I'm glad you are all saying what I thought myself. I feel reassured!

Grand Seiko or Tudor?

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Both excellent watches but my vote goes for the Seiko
    Lovely picture btw Rajen. The GS envy is growing greater by the day.

The GS by a mile for me.

Master
    Totally different watch with regards to complication so if You need the GMT features then G'S it is...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    The GS would be my choice - does the bezel rotate on this model?
    Yes, bidirectional with soft and yet firm (if that makes sense) clicks.

Master
    The gs looks like something from Argos for £100 save your money and buy the Tudor

Apprentice

fantastic watches, Seiko and Tudor! how about the price

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    The gs looks like something from Argos for £100 save your money and buy the Tudor
    +1

Master
    Tudor, purely from an aesthetic POV, I know the GS is a better spec watch, but from the picture the bezel is too shiny and the gold numbers are hard to read, the dial with the white background date at 4, the power reserve, gold hands and re GMT hand is just too fussy and a mess in my eye

Quote Originally Posted by lambros View Post
    +1
    I think you need to see one in the metal to appreciate - cheap and from Argos it most certainly does not look like when you get up close and personal with it

OP, get the GS by a mile, it's not even close, the GS is about 3 rungs up from the Tudor and the quality is otherworldly

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I think you need to see one in the metal to appreciate - cheap and from Argos it most certainly does not look like when you get up close and personal with it

OP, get the GS by a mile, it's not even close, the GS is about 3 rungs up from the Tudor and the quality is otherworldly
    Spot on. I've had that model and a few other GS's and trust me thet look nothing like "£100 from Argos watches"!

Given the choice I would usually plump for GS but that model is so hideously garish looking I would have to go with the Tudor.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Both lovely watches but the GS gets my vote .

If you can afford it, get the GS. Fit and finish are second to none and they are great value used. Just don't pay UK RRP.

Which do you like best?

If it was me, I'd pick the GS of these two, simply because I prefer it. That said, I think the black Black Bay is the nicest version of it.

If you're worried about resale value, buy the Tudor (or buy a used GS).

M.

£100 from Argos! Have you seen a GS in the flesh?!?!

Craftsman
    I'd go with the GS, as it sounds deep down that it's the one that you want.

Then buy the Back Bay at a later date any way! :-D

Apprentice
    If it's purely on aesthetics I would go for the Tudor.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SIB View Post
    Spot on. I've had that model and a few other GS's and trust me thet look nothing like "£100 from Argos watches"!
    Quite. Grand Seikos are very hard to come by but the product quality is evident. The Argos comment is up there with the simple-minded "TAG ruined Heuer". Can there be a sticky for watch forum "bollocks" that people can go and benchmark against before talking bollocks of their own? :)
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Another vote for the GS - it looks superb

Master
    The GS is a gorgeous looking watch with, IMHO (as a layman), better technology than the Tudor product. However it's not cheap and I suppose the Tudor is easier to source and possibly you'll have a AD closer to home. If you can source one and you've got the money then I'd go for the GS.

Sorry just seen you in 'the smoke' so I guess a local AD for either brand won't be an issue.
    Last edited by solwisesteve; 23rd March 2016 at 12:45. Reason: addition

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Quite. Grand Seikos are very hard to come by but the product quality is evident. The Argos comment is up there with the simple-minded "TAG ruined Heuer". Can there be a sticky for watch forum "bollocks" that people can go and benchmark against before talking bollocks of their own? :)
    Really? over 100 on Chrono24, TAG saved Heuer, LVMH is ruining TAG Heuer, and as to sticky b's for benchmarking b's, how 'smart' of you to swear in a public forum. Aren't people entitled to their opinion?
    The comment about it looking like an Argos item is only someone's opinion, I personally don't agree with it, but I have to say and have said, that particular GMT (for me) is too fussy and a mess in general

Master
    I have never seen a gs in the flesh and proberbly never will and don't have to to have an opinion but from the photo it still looks like something cheap and shiny from argos, at the end of the day argos sell watches with seiko on them but I've never seen a tudor in argos

although I find the GS a fantastic watch it would always be only a Seiko in my feeling.

I would always suggest having a GS in your hands before making a decision on them. Pictures don't do the quality justice, they are a world away from the Seiko 5's (still cracking watches!) My friend has a GS Spring Drive and it is unbelievable.

In my opinion it far outweighs anything the big Swiss brands can come up with in that price range.

Go to an AD and try any titanium GS. You will not be disappointed!

Craftsman
    Never handled either watches but I would go for the Tudor. Similar to what was mentioned before I would advise you to see the GS before purchasing if you end up leaning more towards it.

Tudor don't like the GS bezel

I have never seen a gs in the flesh and proberbly never will and don't have to to have an opinion but from the photo it still looks like something cheap and shiny from argos, at the end of the day argos sell watches with seiko on them but I've never seen a tudor in argos
    That will always be the challenge for Seiko in the UK (and the same reason Lexus cars aren't Toyotas and Infiniti were 'formed' to sell upmarket Nissans), should they decide to sell seriously here (and it might be the same issue in the US).

Clearly, though, it's not a problem in their home market, where the vast majority of Grand Seikos are sold. For them there's no negative association between Seiko 5s and Grand Seikos despite having a few extra zeroes on the price tag!

I think you'd need to see the GS in the metal to make a fair judgement - Personally, I always find the Black Bay pretty underwhelming generally and I don't 'get' the level of enthusiasm for it or the Pelagos (and, yes, I've tried both on...)

That said, I'm not sure I'd buy the GS either, if it was me...

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 23rd March 2016 at 14:24.

First and foremost it is a GS and not a gs.
    Secondly, without having handled it- it is an uninformed opinion.
    Nothing against having an opinion. Everyone is entitled to one or even several.
    I can understand the disapproval of the power reserve as it seems quite a common issue.
    Cheap and shiny from Argos, worth a 100 bucks - I don't think so. BTW, no one does polished Ti better than GS.

Master
    The GS watches are, I think, among the very best in the business. But they won't attract everyone, and they aren't intended to.
    The GS seems aimed at the more discerning customer, less addicted to notions of status. You can't pose in a normal GS, it is indeed a grand version of a Seiko. And all the better for it . It's a quiet pleasure in a somewhat noisy world. Most people will ignore it, that's fine.
    Last edited by paskinner; 23rd March 2016 at 14:53.

The GS SBGE015 GMT is one of the best watches in the world, and way out in front of a lot watches costing a lot more.... But I'll be surprised if you can find one. I have rarely ever seen one for sale. I used to have the stainless steel version (SBGE001). I found it too heavy on the SS bracelet, so I sold it. I tried to source the Titanium version without success. I now have SBGA031, SBGA011, and SBGC013, all are Titanium.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    The GS watches are, I think, among the very best in the business. But they won't attract everyone, and they aren't intended to.
    The GS seems aimed at the more discerning customer, less addicted to notions of status. You can't pose in a normal GS, it is indeed a grand version of a Seiko. And all the better for it . It's a quiet pleasure in a somewhat noisy world. Most people will ignore it, that's fine.
    I agree with most of that, but not with the part I've highlighted.

The "Grand Seiko" couldn't be more overt in its declaration of a status piece (otherwise it would JUST be a Seiko), but it's intended for the Japanese market where status is very (maybe more than here) important, but equally displayed in more subtle ways than Westerners are familiar with.

That said, the beauty, as you say, is that the quality isn't hidden behind flash and (usually) gimmicks - maybe the power meter is an exception , but you can't imagine, somehow, a diamond bezel GS! It's left to stand on its own merits.

Based on models I've seen, I don't 'get' GS enough to spend the money on one, that's fine, but I've seen and learnt enough here to know that, no matter what a photo might lead some to think, the quality on the wrist would shine through.

M

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Really? over 100 on Chrono24, TAG saved Heuer, LVMH is ruining TAG Heuer, and as to sticky b's for benchmarking b's, how 'smart' of you to swear in a public forum. Aren't people entitled to their opinion?
    It's certainly an opinion that a Grand Seiko looks gaudy and shiny; I think the same of some Omegas, even though I know the product quality is actually very good. They're just too bling for me. However, unlike the person who knows GS to be as cheap and shiny as a Lorus in Argos, I am happy to have educated myself that they are not.

There are plenty of people who think Heuer was better before TAG came along. This assertion is not an opinion, but a fallacy. As you say, TAG saved them. But if LVMH ruined TAG Heuer, wouldn't it be out of business 17 years later? Instead last year they made 700,000 watches and have added two production facilities since 2010 or so. I struggle to see what about this is "ruin".

Fine, I'll flub it to sloblock next time.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Craftsman
    Lots of really good points here.
    Having handled several GS models and the Black Bay a few times I think the build quality and finish of the GS is far superior. I would always go GS over Tudor but I am afraid to say I have just seen an exception so it would be the Black Bay this time. Just my opinion.

Master

Thanks for all the comments guys. Deep down I know I want the Grand Seiko more. My dilemma is if I go ahead with the purchase I will be buying the watch from America so I won't be able to see if before hand. The price difference is also playing on my mind slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by mark.wilo13 View Post
    Thanks for all the comments guys. Deep down I know I want the Grand Seiko more. My dilemma is if I go ahead with the purchase I will be buying the watch from America so I won't be able to see if before hand. The price difference is also playing on my mind slightly.
    Buying from Japan or Thailand will surely work out much cheaper. If you get a price from the US let me know and I will see how that sits against the pricing I am able to get

Craftsman
    In my opinion most GS are utterly beautiful watches, ruined by the font/presentation of the branding.
    (and no I'm not just saying that because it's Seiko before anyone says)

Journeyman
    The Tudor for me as well.

Journeyman
    Heart sais: Tudor
    Brain sais: Tudor as well :D