closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest fixation, be prepared to spend yet more money! EDC Pocket Tops

Latest fixation, be prepared to spend yet more money! EDC Pocket Tops

I can't believe this but I seem to have caught the bug for...erm... Highly engineered....Works of art really....Pocket tops!!

Yet more money has been spent and so to share the pain I encourage you all to look up and watch videos on You tube such as:

EDC Pocket Tops: Cool EDC gear or just a toy?

Not going to link to it as there maybe some bad language.
    Please join me on my journey as I go down the rabbit hole.
    Last edited by Thorien; 17th March 2016 at 14:31.

or indeed this video on you tube

"CD Peterson, Dynamic Inertia and Billet Spin tops. 3 uniquely different pieces"

Rather nice.

I think it’s the quality and precision of these things that makes them so attractive; appeals to the inner engineer.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Must resist!

Now you need to make sure you are always wearing a chrono as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBGdfXe0WEw

- - - Updated - - -

PS my brother has a lathe. I can sense a project coming on...

Somebody gave me one of the original Lambda tops as a present. Brass and aluminium with a spherical ruby in the base. On the right surface it will run for about 10 minutes. Quite incredible really.

Master
    Aha! Thank goodness! When I heard 'Engineer' and 'Pocket Tops' I was initially really confused thinking you were referring to those hideous breast pocket protectors popular in the USA in the fifties to stop pen clips damaging your pockets and protect from ink leaks!

Journeyman
    My son has a plastic Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles one. It spins for seconds before the protruding 'blades' contact the surface it's spinning on. Perhaps a 'professional' one might keep him entertained longer. Or maybe not...

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Rather nice.

I think it’s the quality and precision of these things that makes them so attractive; appeals to the inner engineer.

R
    Exactly that, being a civil engineer myself, I was also drawn to the tight tolerances and precision needed to design and produce these.
    That and tbh, they appeal to my inner child!
    They can get expensive though, as I've started to find out!

Quote Originally Posted by neil62 View Post
    Must resist!
    Resistance is futile!

Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix View Post
    Now you need to make sure you are always wearing a chrono as well

PS my brother has a lathe. I can sense a project coming on...
    Any excuse to wear a chrono hehe
    That project sounds like fun, keep us updated on how you get on!

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    Somebody gave me one of the original Lambda tops as a present. Brass and aluminium with a spherical ruby in the base. On the right surface it will run for about 10 minutes. Quite incredible really.
    They are amazing little things these. Very relaxing too..

Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    Aha! Thank goodness! When I heard 'Engineer' and 'Pocket Tops' I was initially really confused thinking you were referring to those hideous breast pocket protectors popular in the USA in the fifties to stop pen clips damaging your pockets and protect from ink leaks!
    Don't remember those, thankfully!

Quote Originally Posted by D_redd View Post
    My son has a plastic Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles one. It spins for seconds before the protruding 'blades' contact the surface it's spinning on. Perhaps a 'professional' one might keep him entertained longer. Or maybe not...
    I think they probably would. To be honest that's another reason for me getting, just an excuse to spin them with my kids and hopefully something they can remember us doing together when I'm gone. As opposed to watching TV or 'playing' on the computer.

I bought this one off Kickstarter a few weeks back.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-machined-in-t

Not sure why really - as a mechanical engineer it just appealed and for £20 it was a throwaway pledge.

Its been sat on my desk at work since it arrived and gets spun several times a day (usually when I'm on the phone). Quite pleasant to watch, but it seems (obviously) highly sensitive to the surface you're spinning it on. Wooden desk or draughting pad gives a minute or so spin time easily. CD case will give about 3 minutes, back of a iPad or a mirror and I can manage 4 minutes or maybe a bit more.

Fortunately, while I enjoy it I have no desire to upgrade or chase the next big thing in spinning tops!

Master
    This is what I thought you meant Thorien!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._UL1500_.jpg

Hahahahahah thank God I'm not that desperate. ....yet! I'd have to be really bored to start collecting them!

Craftsman
    Not intending to collect tops, but it is a bit of a "thing" on youtube etc these days and I did decide to pick up a Vorso from a british maker on KickStarter...

....really attractive thing and really good spin times.... hand made and coming in at £25 delivered

I have had over 11 minutes out of it! (Even made a video of it because I am a bit odd like that! https://youtu.be/dz0S0DNVnpE)

Haha nice vid and great spin.

I'm really interested in one of these:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/b...p/x/13571630#/

There's only about a week left if anyone wants one and once he's done a run he never repeats a design.
    I think these are gorgeous.

Here's his video explaining 9 different options:

Last edited by Thorien; 16th March 2016 at 23:15.

Craftsman
    Billetspin seem a big deal at the moment, even have their own FaceBook page where they carry quite a premium the secondary market (>100% premium)

They do look beautifully made, but are not cheap at over $150.

If you like them this is a great opportunity, but not an investment, I think they are selling as many as they can on this project and the hype may die down after. Having said that if someone bagged one of the Mokume or Superconductor ones then they will be able to make a few quid!

Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post

There's only about a week left if anyone wants one and once he's done a run he never repeats a design.

Would have loved Mokume Gane but missed out, got on to the project too late.
    Will definitely get a Navigator though.

I'm waiting on the Stainless Steel Forever Spin with glass base that I recently backed on Kickstarter.

Have a look at their range of different metals. Very impressive.

http://foreverspin.com

^ Simplicity of form, love it....

Master
    Posting stuff like this is not helpful to my pocket!

Master
    I almost purchased a pocket spinner awhile back after I heard about them on a podcast. Now I'm definately going to buy one to pass some time at work, now I only have to choose which make and model.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I'd agree with this - you can see the craftsmanship in many of them (especially the ones Rich of BilletSpin is making) and I find that appealing in any product.

Here's his video explaining 9 different options:

Well now,

The registered owner of the site is also the owner of a store front below. The crowdfunding they are using allows them to keep every penny even if they close their doors. I would take a good look at them before spending money there and also those who endorse them or make comments praising them.

http://darkgear.tictail.com

http://statuslite.com/domain/billetspin.info

Domain name and website information of billetspin.com

The main IP address associated to billetspin.com is 198.185.159.144, it’s not a personal information, it’s just the address of the webserver hosting this domain name. Your connection is located in the city , region and country United States (with the GPS point: longitude – latitude ). Your internet service provider (ISP) is . Warning, the accuracy of geo-localization isn’t 100%, generally:
    Accuracy rates on naming the city or region from an IP address vary between 50%-80%.
    Accuracy rates on the nation of an Internet user is 95%-99% percent accurate, for reasons that have to do with how IP addresses are allocated and registered.

Geographic data of billetspin.com main IP address

Technical data
    Main IP address : 198.185.159.144
    Hostname :
    IP addresses range :
    Visit website : http://www.billetspin.com
    Other domain names : billetspin.net | billetspin.com | billetspin.fr | billetspin.de | billetspin.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by koimaster View Post
    Well now,

The registered owner of the site is also the owner of a store front below. The crowdfunding they are using allows them to keep every penny even if they close their doors. I would take a good look at them before spending money there and also those who endorse them or make comments praising them.

The main IP address associated to billetspin.com is 198.185.159.144, it’s not a personal information, it’s just the address of the webserver hosting this domain name. Your connection is located in the city , region and country United States (with the GPS point: longitude – latitude ). Your internet service provider (ISP) is . Warning, the accuracy of geo-localization isn’t 100%, generally:
    Accuracy rates on naming the city or region from an IP address vary between 50%-80%.
    Accuracy rates on the nation of an Internet user is 95%-99% percent accurate, for reasons that have to do with how IP addresses are allocated and registered.

Technical data
    Hostname :
    IP addresses range :
    Other domain names : billetspin.net | billetspin.com | billetspin.fr | billetspin.de | billetspin.co.uk
    Interesting?! However I'm thinking of buying the Navigator via the indiegogo site, apparently Rich from Billetspin doesn't get paid till a few weeks after the project end date, and also he is planning to ship out the goods before then.
    I think I'm safe as he's been selling stuff like this for a while now and hasn't as far as I know conned anyone.

Craftsman
    What exactly does this claim to show? As far as I can see it shows who owns a web domain, nothing nefarious?

As has been said Billetspin so far seem to have an impeccable reputation (bad press spreads quick on instagram, facebook etc and is re-seeded repeatedly). It is true that the project has probably achieved a 6 figure value but I have not seen anything to suggest anything amiss?

Well now,

Technical data
    Hostname :
    IP addresses range :

Koimaster, do you have proof of any wrong doing? Is this just speculation on your part, or do you have an axe to grind?

Koimaster, do you have proof of any wrong doing? Is this just speculation on your part, or do you have an axe to grind?
    I always caution people about paying ahead of time with these crowdfunding type projects. There is a lot of money involved regardless of who is involved. I remember a few companies such as stolas which used the same format as well as pre-sales on forums. A lot of folks got burned when the guy took their money. What I find of interest on the funding site is no mention of the relationship between the registered owner Randy Domingo and the other products he sells on amazon. You would think if he were successful on these projects he would tie them together.

And as far as I am concerned $150 and up for a top is a bit over the top. Companies like forever top sell theirs for $50 or less in some cases unless you purchase a group of 5 which of course is a bit higher in price. What ever happened to regular tops like many of us in our 60s played with as kids. It strikes me that this is more fashion than function. Perhaps I am old school but winding a string around a top and throwing it on the ground seems to me to be a lot more fun.

Master
    Mesmerising - but why an EDC?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Mesmerising - but why an EDC?
    I think this simply captures the imagination these days...kinda a marketing hook...but they certainly are very much pocket sized!

am I the only one who doesn't really get it?

Quote Originally Posted by .olli. View Post
    Not seen inception?

Brighty

I always caution people about paying ahead of time with these crowdfunding type projects. There is a lot of money involved regardless of who is involved. I remember a few companies such as stolas which used the same format as well as pre-sales on forums. A lot of folks got burned when the guy took their money. What I find of interest on the funding site is no mention of the relationship between the registered owner Randy Domingo and the other products he sells on amazon. You would think if he were successful on these projects he would tie them together.

And as far as I am concerned $150 and up for a top is a bit over the top. Companies like forever top sell theirs for $50 or less in some cases unless you purchase a group of 5 which of course is a bit higher in price. What ever happened to regular tops like many of us in our 60s played with as kids. It strikes me that this is more fashion than function. Perhaps I am old school but winding a string around a top and throwing it on the ground seems to me to be a lot more fun.
    Randy Domingo according to your links is the registered owner of the Website Billet spin, not the funding website. Therefore even if Billet spin closed up the money is with indiegogo? I don't see the problem. As to price, they are expensive but they are extremely well crafted - to my eye at least. Billet spin do/have done cheaper models previously as I understand it. Anyway I don't perceive much risk and am willing to take the gamble. Thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by .olli. View Post
    I'm with you!
    "A man of little significance"

For anyone that does get it, or is interested, here's a list I found of related websites and Facebook groups of some of the makers and producers of associated equipment:

Hope this helps someone.

P.S. these are in no particular order.

Pocket Top Talk
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/pockettoptalk/

Wayne J Everitt
    AWE Designs LLC
    FB Group: THE "AWE" FACTOR
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/590631454332330/

Lance Barnett
    Barnett Prototyping
    FB Group: Barnett Prototyping
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/484475431714412/
    Website(s):
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/LanceBarnett

Rich Stadler
    BilletSPIN
    FB Group: BilletSPIN
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/391445661039396/
    Instagram: billetspin_tops
    Website(s):
    http://billetspin.com/

Neil Blackwood
    Blackwood Knives
    Website(s):
    http://blackwoodcustomknives.blogspot.com/

Michael Burch
    Burchtree Bladeworks
    FB Group: Burchtree Bladeworks
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/212793828869146/

Jim Burke
    Burke Abyss
    FB Group: Burke Abyss (secret)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/382205725265241/

Chris Peterson
    CD Peterson Customs
    FB Artist: C. D. Peterson Customs
    https://www.facebook.com/cdpetersoncustoms
    FB Group: C. D. Peterson Group Page
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1701720500114363/
    Instagram: c_d_peterson
    Website(s):
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/SpinningTops
    http://www.c-d-peterson.com/
    http://cdpeterson.bigcartel.com/

Chris Dean
    CDC Chris Dean Customs
    FB Group: CDC- Chris Dean Custom
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1446778288913631/
    Instagram: cdean72983

Jonathan Collier
    Collier Metal Works
    FB Group: Collier Metal Works
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1667180536878004/
    FB Community: Collier Metal Works
    https://www.facebook.com/Collier-Met...9160187…
    Instagram: collier_metal_works

Reece Sloane
    FB Group: Custom Spinning Tops Uk
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/698500960258996/

Mark Dalpé
    D-Tops
    FB Group: D-Tops
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/d.tops.spin/

Gavin Sexton
    Dynamic Inertia Tops
    FB Group: Dynamic Inertia Tops
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1641283199490585/
    Instagram: dynamic_inertia_tops

Ben Tan
    Eclipse Sharp
    FB Group: Eclipsesharp tops
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/eclipsesharptops/
    Instagram: eclipsesharp

Jesse Guthrie
    Engineering Science
    Website(s):
    https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/EngineeringScience

Patrick Burritt
    Fat Finger Customs
    FB Group: Fat Finger Customs
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1673274269628205/

Brian Fellhoelter
    Fellhoelter Toolwerks
    FB Group: Fellhoelter ToolWerks
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/303070599886908/
    Instagram: brianfellhoelter
    Website(s):
    http://fellhoelter.com/

Steven Robbins
    Fiddle Foundry
    FB Group: Fiddle Foundry
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/212269245639561/
    Instagram: fiddlefoundry

Brian Flud
    Flud Unlimited Custom Toys
    FB Group: Flud Unlimited Custom Toys
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Flud...tedCustomToys/
    Instagram: fludunlimited

Pete Gray
    Gray Precision
    FB Group: Gray Precision
    https://www.facebook.com/Gray-Precis...4110414280515/

Tom Griffin
    Griffin precision spinning products
    FB Group: Griffin precision spinning products
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1550080691975018/

Aaron Hotopp
    Hotopp's Tops
    FB Group: Hotopp's Tops
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1248832158466854/

Anthony Allen Lawson
    J. L. Lawson & Co.
    FB Group: J. L. Lawson & Co.
    https://www.facebook.com/jllawsonco
    Instagram: jllawsonandco
    Website(s):
    http://jllawsonco.com

Kenn Jordan Jr.
    Jordan Metal Art
    FB Group:
    Website(s):
    http://jordanmetalart.blogspot.com/

Jordy Wallace
    Jorgo Metalworks
    FB Group: Focus Works Toys and Gifts
    https://www.facebook.com/focusworksgifts/
    Website(s):
    https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/JorgoMetalworks
    https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/FocusWorks

Joshua Dawson
    Joshua Dawson Precision Spinning Tops
    FB Group: Joshua Dawson Precision Spinning Tops
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/josh...nspinningtops/
    Instagram: dawson_presicion_spinning_tops

Derek Knight
    KNOLAN
    FB Group: The Janus Top
    https://www.facebook.com/thejanustop
    Website(s):
    http://knolanplay.bigcartel.com/
    http://www.janustop.com/

Les Voorhies
    Les Voorhies knives
    FB Group: Les Voorhies knives
    https://www.facebook.com/LesVoorhiesKnives
    Instagram: lesvor

Mike Olsen
    Metallic Revolutions
    FB Group: Metallic Revolutions
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/886326128150026/

Mitch Lum
    FB Artist Page: Mitch Lum - Machined Accessories
    https://www.facebook.com/mitchlumMachined
    Mitch Lum Machined
    FB Group: Mitch Lum Machined Accessories - Group
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/mitchlumMachined/
    Instagram: mitchlum

Jared Schoenly
    Motley Metallic Detritus
    FB Group: Motley Metallic Detritus
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/102880633386132/
    Website(s):
    http://motleymetallicdetritus.bigcartel.com/

Blake San
    Mountain Tops EDC
    FB Page: Mountain Tops
    https://www.facebook.com/MountaintopsEDC
    FB Group: Mountain Tops EDC Spinning Tops
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1034639619933603/
    Instagram: mountain_tops_edc
    Website(s):
    http://www.mountaintopsedc.com/products

Gabe Diaz
    Nuclear Knives
    Instagram: nuclearknives

Patrick Ober
    Ober Metal Works
    FB Group: Patrick Ober: Chainmail Armour and Jewelry
    https://www.facebook.com/Patrick-Obe...ur-and-…
    Instagram: armourer7
    Website(s):
    http://obermetalworks.com/
    http://www.patrickober.bigcartel.com/

Joseph Chase Lindley
    PlierSpinningTops
    Website(s):
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/PlierSpinningTops

Jason Hui
    Prometheus Lights
    FB Group: Prometheus Lights
    https://www.facebook.com/Prometheus-...56715154404619
    Instagram: prometheuslights
    Website(s):
    http://www.darksucks.com/

Quoc T Ho
    Q's Precision Guesswork ‪#‎QPG‬
    FB Group: Q's Precision Guesswork (QPG)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/497219153792393/
    Instagram; big_q_numero_uno

David Beck
    Qerim
    FB Group: Qerim
    https://www.facebook.com/qerim37
    Instagram: qerim37
    Website(s):
    http://www.qerim.com/

Matt Clott
    Skeekmo Creations
    FB Group: Skeekmo Creations
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1067913296594386/

Serge Panchenko
    Instagram: sergeknives
    Website(s):
    http://www.sergeknives.com/

Harley Spalinger
    Spalinger Designs
    Instagram: spalingerdesigns
    Website(s):
    http://spalingerdesigns.bigcartel.com/

Charles Symeonides
    Symeon MetalCrafts
    FB Group: Symeon MetalCrafts
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/662337913885319/

John M. Meyer (FB:John D'oh)
    Titan Works
    FB Group: TitanWorks
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/708146392572321/
    Instagram: titanworks

Todd Shaw
    Todd's Top's
    FB Group: Todd's Top's
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/419507648260030/
    instagram: trs.engineering

Harold Edwards(Topped Out)
    Topped Out
    FB Page: Topped Out
    https://www.facebook.com/Topped-Out-1140779759288955/

Tim Lawson
    Twisted Tops
    FB Group: Twisted Tops
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/746038138764018/
    Instagram: twistedtops

Dylan Polseno
    United Machining
    Instagram: unitedmachining
    Website(s):
    http://unitedmachiningllc.com

Cody Mayfield
    UpsideDownWorks
    FB Group: UpsideDownWorks
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/534713916598106/
    Instagram: upsidedownworks

Will Cutler
    Vorso Spinning Tops
    FB Page: Vorso
    https://www.facebook.com/VorsoTops
    Instagram: vorso_spin
    Website(s):
    http://www.vorsospin.com/

Ray Diaz
    Wizard Tops
    FB Group: Wizard Tops
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/WizardTops/
    Instagram: wizardtops

Zac Cohen
    Zac's Lost His Marbles
    FB Group: Zac's Lost His Marbles
    https://www.facebook.com/zacslost
    Instagram: zacslost

Scott Bryant
    Instagram: Wood turned tops

Nils Kohring
    https://www.facebook.com/nils.kohring.7
    Instagram: k_nives
    Website(s):
    http://www.k-nives.net/

Jochen Pröllochs
    Instagram: jochenproellochs

German Spinning Tops Rule(run by Nils an Jochen)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1255357031146614/

Chris Howard
    Jimmy Norström
    David Appleton
    Nick Cherone
    Ray Neal
    Cain Payne
    Robby Shirey
    Chris Conklin
    David Appleton
    Pete Gar
    Jesse Fisher(glass)
    Les Stern(wood)
    Zeke French(wood)

***********SPIN STATIONS****************************************** *******
    Spin Station Flow Chart(click the link below)
    http://i63.tinypic.com/2el6v50.jpg
    or try this
    https://docs.google.com/…/1umE60XUSt...0;/edit…

Randy Gleckler
    FB Group: Rittik
    https://www.facebook.com/rittikcrafts/
    Website(s):
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/RITTIK

Anthony Allen Lawson
    J. L. Lawson & Co.

Dexter King
    Crafts by King
    FB Group: Crafts by King
    https://www.facebook.com/KingWoodenCrafts
    Website(s):
    http://dexterking.ddns.net

Keegan Hasbrook
    Spin Docs
    FB Group: Spin Docs
    https://www.facebook.com/topspinnettes

Kerry Weeks
    Weeks Wood Werx
    FB Group: Weeks Wood Werx
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1673104726305272/

Steve Waterton (based in UK)
    FB Page: Clear Cut Creation
    https://www.facebook.com/clearcutcreation
    Instagram: clearcutcreation
    Website(s):
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/ItsClearCut
    http://www.itsclearcut.com/

Joshua Dawson

Lance Barnett
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/LanceBarnett

Steve Robbins
    Fiddle Foundry

Jared Schoenly
    Motley Metallic Detritus

Ben Shipman

Josh Steindler
    schott optical "glass"

Bert Langan

Aaron Simkoff

Andrew Pope

***********ANODIZING****************************** *******************
    Jordan King
    King's Arsenal
    FB Group: King's Arsenal
    https://www.facebook.com/KingsCustomRifles
    Instagram: kingsarsenal
    Website(s):
    http://kingsarsenal.com/

David Beck
    Qerim
    FB Group: Qerim
    https://www.facebook.com/qerim37
    Instagram: qerim37
    Website(s):
    http://www.qerim.com/

***********ENGRAVING****************************** *******************
    John Schipp
    FB Page: Harpuahound/John Schipp
    https://www.facebook.com/Harpuahound...#8230;/…
    FB Group: Harpuahound Studio
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/198643877152831/
    Instagram: harpuahound
    Website(s):
    http://harpuahound.bigcartel.com/

********DON’T MISS THESE THREADS*********

PTT History
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/pock...8759437486934/

Makers' favorites
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/pock...3057449723799/

********Maker Recognition Threads********

2/12/16 Jon Walker
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/pock...0158967680314/

2/11/16 Chris Peterson
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/pock...9605131069031/

1/15/16 Chris Dean
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/pock...3096162719928/

1/5/16 Fiddle
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/pock...6917086671169/

1/3/16 Wizard
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/pock...5555336807344/

12/30/15 Flud
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/pock...3650426997835/

12/28 Collier
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/pock...2359737126904/

12/22/15 Lum
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/pock...7708110925400/

12/20/15 Twisted
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/pock...6904071005804/
    12/19/15 Dawson
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/pock...6365644392980/
    Last edited by Thorien; 17th March 2016 at 23:26.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopdong View Post
    What exactly does this claim to show? As far as I can see it shows who owns a web domain, nothing nefarious?

As has been said Billetspin so far seem to have an impeccable reputation (bad press spreads quick on instagram, facebook etc and is re-seeded repeatedly). It is true that the project has probably achieved a 6 figure value but I have not seen anything to suggest anything amiss?
    I would never do business with a company who uses Jim Skelton as a spokesman. Google his days at cigar forums, he stole from several people, skipped town and never paid them back. There is even a post by him admitting it, saying he is sorry. He stole from their charity's too. Then there is his time at Invicta, his behavior there was despicable and it is also well documented. He is only welcome at one watch forum now and only has a few fans there. I find it comical that he is referred to as a famous knife reviewer, on the knife forums he has had to change his name several times because he gets trounced on for being a liar, con man and thief. Any business that would utilize him and build him up as an expert, in my mind can't be trusted. I'm not into tops, but if I were getting one as a gift for someone, it wouldn't be with EDC.

They're cool, something a bit Jonathan Creek about them.

Problem is, I can just see the Mrs snatching it off the table and flushing it down the toilet if I ever played with it at a party.

When do you guys play with them? The spinning tops I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by svaglic View Post
    I would never do business with a company who uses Jim Skelton as a spokesman. Google his days at cigar forums, he stole from several people, skipped town and never paid them back. There is even a post by him admitting it, saying he is sorry. He stole from their charity's too. Then there is his time at Invicta, his behavior there was despicable and it is also well documented. He is only welcome at one watch forum now and only has a few fans there. I find it comical that he is referred to as a famous knife reviewer, on the knife forums he has had to change his name several times because he gets trounced on for being a liar, con man and thief. Any business that would utilize him and build him up as an expert, in my mind can't be trusted. I'm not into tops, but if I were getting one as a gift for someone, it wouldn't be with EDC.
    Never heard of him, but he must be doing something right to get nearly a quarter of a million views on a video about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I'm with you!
    Me too. Bung a bit of metal on the lathe. Anyway where's the top going to be in 6 months time, the man drawer? Yeah I'm grumpy today my back's aching.

Thanks, I don't know anything about him tbh, other than he likes knives and tops. As far as I know EDC is not the name of a company, it means "Every Day Carry" i.e Something you'd carry with you every day?!
    He himself doesn't sell any tops, as far as I know but does review tops on his You Tube channel from many different manufacturers.
    Who knew spinning tops would cause so much controversy?!
    Last edited by Thorien; 18th March 2016 at 11:11.

^^^ Yes people seem to be getting in a spin about this. (I'm here all week. Some tickets still available) EDC seems to mean every day carry, which is a term knife enthusiasts use. It's not a company. This Jim Skelton doesn't appear to be involved in a company producing these things, He's just made a video about them.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeOut View Post
    They're cool, something a bit Jonathan Creek about them.

Problem is, I can just see the Mrs snatching it off the table and flushing it down the toilet if I ever played with it at a party.

When do you guys play with them? The spinning tops I mean.

I'll be playing with mine a lot, as I work from home most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Me too. Bung a bit of metal on the lathe. Anyway where's the top going to be in 6 months time, the man drawer? Yeah I'm grumpy today my back's aching.
    Probably true! Hope you feel better soon.

Craftsman

I am aware of Jim Skelton's history. I don't think the behaviour continues and at worst the only accusation could be that he seems to act as a "shill" for various makers, I am not sure what the relationship is but assume it is positive review for free stuff.

To be honest I think it is the way of the world, think of it as marketing, you are benefiting from exposure to his XX'000 followers on Instagram, and XX'000 followers on YouTube. I do not think badly of BilletSpin for marketing their product, it actually feels like Jim sought them out first and may be simply buys the tops as a normal customer does.... sometimes I guess he uses his reputation to bump up the waiting list.

Personally, I quite like his videos, they are largely positive but do give a detailed overview of products, and it allows me o check out goodies that I won't get to experience or afford myself.

That project sounds like fun, keep us updated on how you get on!
    So, got a piece of brass rod in the chuck today:

Didn't really go at it with any specific dimension on mind, and came out with this, the Mk 1:

It spins on a regular ball bearing (7/32", Campagnalo front hub size...)

No attempt to clean it up as it's just a prototype. However, performance isn't great, best time so far is 3m 25s. I think it is probably too heavy (70g), the stem might be too tall (total height is 43mm, stem 26mm high, 8mm dia, total diameter of the top 31mm). I think a Mk 2 is in order, with dimensions more like the Vorso:

What do you experienced people think? And what is better, the Vorso or the Lambda? I realise technique is very important so might have to buy a proper one to compare!

Ian

Master
    What's the spin time like Ian? I'd be interested in buying one if you make a limited first run.

I've just got in on the indigogo campaign for the BilletSpin Navigator. I've decided that spinning tops are going to replace my interest in watches. Thanks Thorien for starting my new obsession!

Quote Originally Posted by Skool View Post
    What's the spin time like Ian? I'd be interested in buying one if you make a limited first run.

I've just got in on the indigogo campaign for the BilletSpin Navigator. I've decided that spinning tops are going to replace my interest in watches. Thanks Thorien for starting my new obsession!
    I think it's 3m 25 s

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy_Drage View Post
    I think it's 3m 25 s
    Ah thanks, missed that in the original post.

4m 50s was the best, couldn't crack 5 minutes!

Craftsman
    4m 50s was the best, couldn't crack 5 minutes!
    Looks like a good start, not sure what the magic formula is, but guessing weight on the disc is good but minimal height on stem for stability... nice bearing, but make sure it is dead centre.

So, got a piece of brass rod in the chuck today:

Didn't really go at it with any specific dimension on mind, and came out with this, the Mk 1:

It spins on a regular ball bearing (7/32", Campagnalo front hub size...)

No attempt to clean it up as it's just a prototype. However, performance isn't great, best time so far is 3m 25s. I think it is probably too heavy (70g), the stem might be too tall (total height is 43mm, stem 26mm high, 8mm dia, total diameter of the top 31mm). I think a Mk 2 is in order, with dimensions more like the Vorso:

What do you experienced people think? And what is better, the Vorso or the Lambda? I realise technique is very important so might have to buy a proper one to compare!

Ian
    Well done Ian!
    That's a great start. I'm no expert so I can't give much advice but I'll eagerly watch how this progresses and would also buy one of your limited editions first runs that's work!
    When you say performance isn't great, does it wobble when spinning?

Quote Originally Posted by Skool View Post

Ha ha sorry, but I'm not really! Maybe we can get a group going and do swaps and things in the future
    Gratz on the Navigator btw, which one did you go for? I know a few others have pm'd to say they've joined in on the Navigator also.