closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: More bike advice required...

Master

More bike advice required...

Hi all

Have the opportunity to get a new bicycle and am thinking of one of those 'fast city tourers' anyone have any advice on these?

I have a MTB already and will probably keep it so the new bike will be for road use - but I don't want an out and out racer - so no drop bars!

Have seen a Claud Butler Urban 500 which seemed good value at £500 (about the top of the budget).

Thoughts? Experience?

Cheers as always

Buy some new wheels and tyres for the mountain bike . Simple and easier.

Now is a good time to buy as the stores have the last of the 2007 bikes at knock down prices now that the 2008 stuff is coming in.

Plenty of Hybrids around at that kind of price. Make sure that it's actually designed as a hybrid though and has the slightly more relaxed geometry.
    My favourites would be Ridgeback or Specialized.

Master
    Thanks.

What's the main difference between a hybrid and a fast city bike? Is it worth getting one with front shocks and if so, worth paying for ones you can lock out if you want?

Cheers

City....... well that depends on what route you use. The road and pots hole play havoc on rims. do you have room to store 2 bikes etc?? Most mountain bikes set up with slim rims and some semi slick tyres will fly down roads.
    Mountain bikes in cities dont work well due to the type of tyres used. Nice set of rims and tyres from Brick lane market will cost you £50 ...great way to try and see the difference

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by London Luke
    City....... well that depends on what route you use. The road and pots hole play havoc on rims. do you have room to store 2 bikes etc?? Most mountain bikes set up with slim rims and some semi slick tyres will fly down roads.
    Mountain bikes in cities dont work well due to the type of tyres used. Nice set of rims and tyres from Brick lane market will cost you £50 ...great way to try and see the difference
    Can't agree more. I was using an old Peugeot MTB during my Oxford days; what a beast to pedal around town. Changed the rear gear ratios, added a sprung seat post and a set of Schwalbe slicks and the difference was incredible - no problems cruising at ~30mph with the same amount of effort as it took me to get to 15mph before!

Ming

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by London Luke
    Buy some new wheels and tyres for the mountain bike . Simple and easier.

Sound thinking Luke- around Camden I use conti sport contacts on 26" and 700c but the 26" take it for shock absorption.

Nothing much to touch them for speed and comfort (inflate to the limit)but they will puncture; They have a one year guarantee though from Wiggle.

Marathon slicks will not puncture but they are less "comfy"

Regs

B

Some half price Orbit bikes here http://www.gearshift.co.uk/acatalog/Sale_Bikes.html ... they should be able to fit straight handlebars

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Journeyman
    I have one of these http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 910m008759

It's much faster than my old MTB, gives you a more upright position and the nexus hub provides a range of ratios that should tackle most hills.

Only disadvantage is that I'm not sure i want to disassemble one after seeing this:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/nexus-mech.html

anyway i'm very happy with mine which i use for my daily 10 mile commute.

You cannot just change handle bars...... the group set (Gears etc) are designed to work in a different way.