closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: New Seiko Turtle PADI "Pepsi"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    A good way to check is to have a look to see whether the chapter ring has been lined up and fitted properly.
    If it has, there's a good chance it's dodgy.
    Good, mine is real then!

Journeyman
    The misaligned chapter ring just adds to the story and character of the watch.

I'm leaving mine wonky and I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    The misaligned chapter ring just adds to the story and character of the watch.
    The story of someone not being arsed to fit it properly on Friday afternoon at the Seiko factory?

The story of someone not being arsed to fit it properly on Friday afternoon at the Seiko factory?
    Maybe just an excess of sake, ...

Blog Entries
    A good way to check is to have a look to see whether the chapter ring has been lined up and fitted properly.
    Tsk! ;-)

Good point....lol.

I think most are misaligned.

The chapter ring is being set in to the case as normal. It's the machined slots for the bezel insert's pins that are not being machined accurately on the main case. I noticed that on mine but it is an easy fix to realign the chapter ring.

Last edited by j111dja; 28th February 2017 at 02:35.

Craftsman
    Order cancellation email arrived from amazon. They have finally given up trying to find these for the price they offered them at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Scottd View Post
    Order cancellation email arrived from amazon. They have finally given up trying to find these for the price they offered them at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Same here. Looks like I'll be looking for one from SC when the time comes.

Craftsman
    Exactly the same here, disappointing!

Hello,

We regret to inform you that we have been unable to source the following item:

"SEIKO PROSPEX PADI 200M Diver's Automatic with manual winding mechanism Special Edition Watch SRPA21K1"
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01HD7Y61G

Our supplier has informed us that this item is no longer available. This item has now been cancelled from your order and we can confirm that you have not been charged for it.

We apologise for the length of time it has taken us to reach this conclusion. Until recently, we had still hoped to obtain this item for you.

- - - Updated - - -

Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    ffs, now I want one again ... sold it since the time keeping was far from ideal (-15sec), and already missing it ...

Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Nice pic.
    The unaligned bezel might bother some.

FTFY,

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    The unaligned bezel will cause tics for Jase.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wasn’t sure which turtle thread to use.

My standard Pepsi turtle came back from Seiko with 2 signatures showing it having been checked yet the S/H wasn’t moving.
    Also With a test certificate that I note has a condensation check etc.[see previous threads about condensation].

The slightly miss aligned dial is within spec they say,I need another eye test soon so maybe it’s a bonus I can’t see it without getting very close.

I posted rmsd in a box with lots of packing,they Jiffy bag with a little bubble wrap and wrap the papers around the watch,posted signed for.

It’s just arrived back again, they have put on a new S/H I am wearing it to check it, they will refund my second postage.

They returned the original S/H I don’t need it so if it’s of any use to anyone let me know.
    Last edited by bwest76; 20th February 2018 at 13:40.

Love mine! Also had it on a Navy NATO strap which really suits it

20180119_084212[1] by Dan Robins, on Flickr

20180209_135306[1] by Dan Robins, on Flickr
    Last edited by Robins; 20th February 2018 at 14:44.

Apprentice
    I purchased SEIKO Prospex PADI from jurawatches.co.uk on 15th Feb ‘18 and received it on 16th.

Upon receipt, and immediately noticeable to my untrained eye it was obvious the late the dial was misaligned slightly (swung anticlockwise), causing the chapter ring to be misaligned with the 6 index. The Seiko text on the dial was also slanting left somewhat, and the 4 and 5 markers were closer to the chapter dial than the 7 and 8 markers.

To me, and I believe any ‘reasonable person’, this would be considered a ‘minor defect’, as covered by the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Jura watches don't agree, and advise that as Seiko believe it's within their tolerances (Jura had forwarded my photo to them), I wouldn't be able to get a refund of returns costs.

I contacted Seiko UK independently, and they've advised it would be difficult to judge from the photograph, but that they'd take a look and make adjustments if outside of their tolerances.

The trouble with me taking this route is that I'd have to send the watch to Seiko insured, and likely have it returned without the issue being rectified. I'd then have to return it to Jura (again, insured) for refund or replacement.

On this basis, I decided to return to Jura straight off the bat (rejecting it under the Consumer Rights Act). It was signed for by Jura on Tuesday 27th and have heard nothing from them since.

I know it's not a Rolex or other very expensive brand, but it's my first dive (pun not intended) into watches (on a hobby level) and for the £260 I paid for it I'd expect things to be right (at least to the naked eye!).

In light of this, and aside from the small cost of returning the watch to Jura I would expect (as stated by the Act) those costs to be reimbursed too.

Am I being reasonable in my expectations?

Anyway, hi to all of you :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-ZO...w?usp=drivesdk
    Last edited by FronTenor; 2nd March 2018 at 15:06. Reason: link to photo (terrible quality)

Im afraid many of the PADIs had alignment issues - just read this thread.

Some people sent them to Seiko to rectify, but they returned them unaltered as they claimed it was "within tolerances"

Some watchmakers stopped taking on jobs aligning the chapter ring as there were that many requests, and it was a pain to do.

I dont think you will have trouble finding a nicely aligned one. Personally I wouldnt use Jura, plenty other places have them.

Jura ask for 7days to process returns so I wouldnt worry just yet, also, I reckon you will have to take the return costs on the chin unless you do decide to send to Seiko and hope they back up your view on it being faulty.
    If your taking this up as a hobby - you will be spending a lot on postage!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by vinstink View Post
    Im afraid many of the PADIs had alignment issues - just read this thread.

Some people sent them to Seiko to rectify, but they returned them unaltered as they claimed it was "within tolerances"

Some watchmakers stopped taking on jobs aligning the chapter ring as there were that many requests, and it was a pain to do.

I dont think you will have trouble finding a nicely aligned one. Personally I wouldnt use Jura, plenty other places have them.

Jura ask for 7days to process returns so I wouldnt worry just yet, also, I reckon you will have to take the return costs on the chin unless you do decide to send to Seiko and hope they back up your view on it being faulty.
    If your taking this up as a hobby - you will be spending a lot on postage!
    It's certainly disappointing that such an established watch making brand (at least with this model) would have such an obvious defect (however minor), when there are budget watch makers out there churning out perfectly aligned watched by the millions.

Legally, it's not for Seiko or Jura to rule on what's a 'minor defect', but is determined in the act as that which any 'reasonable person' would consider unacceptable:

"9 Goods to be of satisfactory quality.

(1) Every contract to supply goods is to be treated as including a term that the quality of the goods is satisfactory.

(2) The quality of goods is satisfactory if they meet the standard that a reasonable person would consider satisfactory, taking account of—
    (a) any description of the goods,
    (b) the price or other consideration for the goods (if relevant), and
    (c) all the other relevant circumstances (see subsection (5)).

(3) The quality of goods includes their state and condition; and the following aspects (among others) are in appropriate cases aspects of the quality of goods—
    (a) fitness for all the purposes for which goods of that kind are usually supplied;
    (b) appearance and finish;
    (c) freedom from minor defects;
    (d) safety;
    (e) durability."

It's on this basis the returns costs should be reimbursed, and the reason I'll be heading to the Ombudsman if Jura reject my claim. This is, of course, not an issue of cash, but of Consumer Rights and principle.

You're right that plenty of places have them, but I bought mine from jura for £257. You'll not find one for that sort of price at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by FronTenor View Post

You're right that plenty of places have them, but I bought mine from jura for £257. You'll not find one for that sort of price at the moment.
    Maybe there was a reason they were selling them off?

Anyway, you seem to know what your doing, so dont know what your trying to achieve posting for advice here?

Maybe if you had pictures we could see what your talking about, but it just sounds like the same problem plaguing most of the PADIs. Ive had a few, maybe 1 was perfectly aligned!?

https://www.lowryjewellers.com/watch...caAiNpEALw_wcB
    £298 with hassle free returns!

Apprentice
    Maybe there was a reason they were selling them off?

Anyway, you seem to know what your doing, so dont know what your trying to achieve posting for advice here?

Maybe if you had pictures we could see what your talking about, but it just sounds like the same problem plaguing most of the PADIs. Ive had a few, maybe 1 was perfectly aligned!?

https://www.lowryjewellers.com/watch...caAiNpEALw_wcB
    £298 with hassle free returns!
    If it was the reason they were selling them off, that should have been called out in the item description I reckon.

I guess I'm after some validation that my concern is indeed that of a 'reasonable person'!

There's a link to the image of the watch on my google drive at the bottom of my post. I couldn't get the forum to insert the image from that URL unfortunately.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-ZO...w?usp=drivesdk

Thanks for the link to Lowry Jewellers, I'll take a gander!

To me it looks like the chapter ring is misprinted as that doesnt look like it could ever line up with 12, 3, 6 & 9
    Dial looks fine.

I think you would not benefit from sending to Seiko, but im no expert

Master
    To me it looks like the chapter ring is misprinted as that doesnt look like it could ever line up with 12, 3, 6 & 9
    Dial looks fine.

Think you're right. it looks misaligned at 6 but fine at 12 to me, which obviously would mean the chapter ring is wrong. FWIW, it wouldn't bother me too much, but then, judging by the standards of some of my ex girlfriends, I have pretty low standards so maybe I'm not a good guide...

Dial looks fine.

The chapter ring issue is a common problem. It may not align at 12 but once aligned at 12, it may not align at 3, 6 and 9.

I will always have a Turtle PADI in the collection. Mine is a Japanese production model but I did have to realign the chapter ring. That was simple to do whilst fitting a domed sapphire and signed crown.
    Last edited by j111dja; 2nd March 2018 at 15:29.

Apprentice
    Dial looks fine.

If the dial had a fixed pivot at the top of the 12, and then pivoted clockwise, I reckon it would align nicely (at least to the naked eye) with all indexes.

Perhaps watches aren't really for me if I'm so sensitive to such minor defects?!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    The chapter ring issue is a common problem. It may not align at 12 but once aligned at 12, it may not align at 3, 6 and 9.

I will always have a Turtle PADI in the collection. Mine is a Japanese production model but I did have to realign the chapter ring. That was simple to do whilst fitting a domed sapphire and signed crown.
    I love to have this customisation done, but I'm not exactly brimming with cash, so it would pain me to pay extra to have this done to a brand new watch!

Master
    Blog Entries
    You will waste time and money sending it to Seiko I speak from experience.

Just send it back there does not have to be a reason.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    You will waste time and money sending it to Seiko I speak from experience.

Just send it back there does not have to be a reason.

There does if I want my returns postage (including insurance) reimbursing :(

How did you send it back?

RMSD would have been £8.55 covered upto £500 - depending on how you packed it?

TBH: You gave your concerns, they passed it onto Seiko - they said its not a fault and within tolerances. I would say your fighting a losing battle.

Its not ideal, but you may have to take it on the chin and cover the cost of the postage.

Apprentice
    How did you send it back?

RMSD would have been £8.55 covered upto £500 - depending on how you packed it?

TBH: You gave your concerns, they passed it onto Seiko - they said its not a fault and within tolerances. I would say your fighting a losing battle.

Its not ideal, but you may have to take it on the chin and cover the cost of the postage.
    That's exactly what I paid, and for me it's not a small amount of money. But, again, it's the principle.

Do you, as a 'reasonable person' agree that the misalignment is a 'minor defect'? If so, the law would dictate that I should be reimbursed returns costs.

Obviously, at this point I'd just like my cash back (waiting for this) and decide what watch I'd like to buy instead (under £300).

Its not an amount of money people would be throwing round, so I understand why you want it back.

I dont think it will happen though.
    You will find many people will not use Jura as they have a poor record of customer service.

Sometimes its better to pay a bit more and get a better level of service.

If the dial had a fixed pivot at the top of the 12, and then pivoted clockwise, I reckon it would align nicely (at least to the naked eye) with all indexes.

Perhaps watches aren't really for me if I'm so sensitive to such minor defects?!
    The chapter ring in the turtle has two 'feet' which go into two notches at the 12 and 6 position on the case. It has a tiny bit of play to aid with small alignment, but I've found if you remove it, turn it through 180 degrees so the feet are in the opposite notches to those they were originally put in, many times the alignment comes good.

If this doesn't work you have to remove the feet and cement it in place.

Master
    Blog Entries

Seiko say it’s in tolerance we all disagree

I can offer you no more advice

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Seiko say it’s in tolerance we all disagree

I can offer you no more advice
    That's all I was looking for. Confirmation that you guys and gals, as 'reasonable people' agreed that it was a minor defect (which would therefore mean I'm covered for reimbursement of returns costs).

Master
    I got mine from Lowry last year (as per the link above). Quick delivery, no problems.

Worth knowing that if you sign up to their email newsletter they immediately send you a 10% discount code.

I think mine ended up at about £240 after the discount although they seem to have gone up a little since.

Lovely watches. I don't think I have any photos of mine yet, I'll have to sort that out.

I love to have this customisation done, but I'm not exactly brimming with cash, so it would pain me to pay extra to have this done to a brand new watch!
    You are right.

Seiko's QC on the Turtles has been nothing short of disgraceful. I've worked on at least 15 of them. For example, how can the nipples at 12 and 6 on the inside surface of the chapter ring align with two squint, poorly positioned locating notches on the case!! They can be a good two millimeters off at times. It is shocking.

I did the work myself so no more outlay apart from the parts.
    Last edited by j111dja; 2nd March 2018 at 19:07.

Blog Entries
    I got one of these for Christmas off my wife and I love it.

Yeah... she is a keeper. :)