closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A recent incoming... The Omega Speedmaster "TinTin"...

Master

A recent incoming... The Omega Speedmaster "TinTin"...

A few weeks ago I was bored. An hour later, I'd ordered one of the following watches. I've had Speedmasters before. Several of them. Old and new. Moon watches, co-axials, 1957 editions. The only models I'm yet to try are the straight-lug variants of the 1960s, mostly because they're a fortune, and I really don't want to mess up when buying one with my limited knowledge.

Anyway, I digress. I was looking at the Fratello Watches blog and noticed an article they'd covered a while ago regarding the Omega Speedmaster Racing model from 2013. The watch was a mainstream model but originally, it was intended to be a Limited Edition version with TinTin rocket logos etc. Unfortunately (or perhaps not), it never happened, but Omega still produced the watch as a "Racing" variant. I've always liked the racing models of the past and find it very fitting as, of course, the Speedmaster was originally intended as a chrono for things such as motorsports anyway. The dial in this case features a red and white band which was originally intended to resemble the TinTin Rocket design.

So a Speedmaster "Racing" dial with links to a Rocket are pretty apt for such a watch really.

I wasn't sure on availability as when the watch was released, another factor nearly caused its demise. It was released at Baselworld 2013. You know, the one where a certain other unpopular Speedmaster was announced. I think they called it the Dark Side of the Moon or something.

I went to Baselworld 2013 and I didn't even notice the TinTin. I must have literally gone straight to the DSOTM stand and looked at nothing else. I don't even remember the PO GMT from that year, although I did take some pics of it looking back.

So anyway, I searched for one of the TinTin models and was really lucky to find one rather more easily than I expected. A few days later, the watch was in my hands and I couldn't be happier with it. I did have a brief moment of madness where I nearly sold it as a flip, but this one should stay. It's a really special watch in my collection.

I love the colour. I know it won't be for everybody, and yes, it's yet another variant of the Speedmaster. I don't care though. I used to think that there are just too many Speedmaster models as do most people. But really, it just means there's probably one for everybody. The recent Snoopy craziness has shown that the LEs can really be very popular, and I've found the same with the 007 Seamaster I'm buying as well. It sold out very quickly because it wasn't over the top like most of the previous Bonds.

The TinTin was only produced for a short period of time. There's no official number on the amount out there, but they're less common the main model of course, and would make a very nice addition to any collection. RRP is around £2960 I think, and the later ones, such as mine, come with the newer style of wooden, rather than the red material boxes of old.

The watch features the same hesalite and 1861 movement as the standard moonwatch, it comes fitted with the screw-link bracelet, it's 50M WR and features red text on the case-back.

You can also watch my video review which shows the lume, and later on in the video, I talk about the amazing Omega Museum in Bienne, Switzerland.

Link to the Fratello Watches blog: goo.gl/V4uJ1k

Beautiful watch; when I do add a speedie to the collection this is the one I want. I love the white & red. Congratulations!

Craftsman
    Very nice, I'd often wondered what the story was behind the red/white detailing.

Thanks for enlightening me

Beautiful and aptly timed as I ordered one of these at the weekend and awaiting one. Nice to see some lovely photos of it. Can't wait till receive mine. Currently looking at leather strap options

Craftsman
    I really love the splash of colour on this Speedmaster!

Journeyman
    Very nice. Congratulations. You find any more new while looking ??

I'd spotted / missed 1 on chronext, didn't hang about long. Bonus has arrived now and ready to spend it.

Are any of there 2016 watches

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by simonedgar View Post
    Very nice. Congratulations. You find any more new while looking ??

I'd spotted / missed 1 on chronext, didn't hang about long. Bonus has arrived now and ready to spend it.

Are any of there 2016 watches
    I was pretty lucky I reckon but I only found this one in my brief search. Definitely a model that's worth searching for though :-)

That's a lovely watch. Although not officially endorsed by the Hergé Foundation, as a big fan of the Tintin adventures and the moon exploration stories in particular, I think it's one that should have a place in my collection one day.

I've seen these discounted quite a bit in the past year or so, I don't think they have sold very well. A bit perplexing since it is a great looking watch, I think it really pops in person more so than in photos.

I am guessing that this is one that will be sought after in the future due to rarity. I should get one.

Craftsman
    Love this watch.

Love.

It.

Thanks for taking the time to share your impressions, and, of course, congratulations on a fantastic pick up. Indeed, if I wasn't broke thanks to that damn Snoopy, this would be on the list. (I LOVED that story in Tintin.)

Regards,
    Adam

Not a version I'd have been naturally drawn to, but I have to say that it looks fantastic. I'd love to see one on the wrist.

Nice watch, wear it in good health!

Master
    Nice write up. This edition isn't for me though and I much prefer my moonwatch version. I'll look forward to watching the video later when I get a bit of time.

great write up - saw it on the omegaforums site... hope you added your serial number to the guy's who's collecting them to work out how many are out there...
    unofficially they stopped producing them in 2015 - but they're still on the omega website and one or two dotted around so there are more out there than we think.. mine says hello
    I'm looking for a strap as I don't do bracelets... perhaps a red Hirsch Tiger or red black Robby...

Craftsman
    I tried one of these on next week and was really taken by it.

Always thought that the classic Speedy was where my money would go, but really not sure now.

It would be good to hear if you find this as versatile as the classic in everyday use.

Great video BTW, plan to hunt down your others.

Master
    Thanks for all the nice comments. It looks a lot better on the wrist than in my photos :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Deeez Nuuutz View Post
    Nice write up. This edition isn't for me though and I much prefer my moonwatch version. I'll look forward to watching the video later when I get a bit of time.
    I think a splash of colour can quite often divide people, especially with such a classic design, so I understand that. Slowly, I'm coming round to the D-Blue and Blue GMT, but I was the same as you with those at first.

Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    hope you added your serial number to the guy's who's collecting them to work out how many are out there...
    I certainly did. I've also mentioned this in the video comment section to raise awareness a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidsteruk View Post
    I tried one of these on next week and was really taken by it.

Always thought that the classic Speedy was where my money would go, but really not sure now.

It would be good to hear if you find this as versatile as the classic in everyday use.

Great video BTW, plan to hunt down your others.
    You're trying watches on in the future and knowing you like them?! Now that's a skill :-D

I used to be bothered about colourful watches and what I'm wearing etc, but the other day, I broke all the rules and wore a blue top next to this watch!!! No, on a serious note, it makes a very nice every day wearer... a Speedy with a bit of colour that's all.

I already have a regular speedy pro as an every day watch so being a tintin fan and my national colours are red and white it was a no brainer...

there's still a few on Chrono24 at decent prices to but I suggest anyone wanting on to phone around the omega dealers theres bound to be at least one or two left in each major city
    the code for the model is: 311.30.42.30.01.004

curiously although the Hergé current copywrite owners connection went sour when you google Omega Speedmaster Tintin the first result is the omega website... and Hergé (Georges Remi) use to wear an Omega...

That actually looks very nice in your pics. Have not given it much thought before but your pics show it of beautifully

Craftsman
    That's a true beauty!

Put this one alongside Tony's pictures of his two Speedys earlier in the week and it questions why anyone would buy the standard model :)

Omega do a lot of special editions but some of their hand wound Speedy Pro ones really work - this is one of them.

^^^ I feel the same. I've tried on the regular watch a number of times now almost hoping that I'd click with it, if it had been a different variation on the theme then perhaps I might have.

Quote Originally Posted by DJL-73 View Post
    Very nice, I'd often wondered what the story was behind the red/white detailing.

Thanks for enlightening me
    +1 for that.

Apprentice
    Congrats and what a stunning watch

Craftsman
    I love it, love the story (although find it a bit hard to believe that signatures weren't on paper before they considered the link) and would happily wear that in rotation with my standard Speedmaster Professional. Congrats - it's a cracker.

Master
    Blog Entries
    After a few PMs trying to extract this from Wayne's grip, I have now ordered one. It should be arriving from Omega in the next couple of weeks, a decent discount allowed me to order a deployant clasp as I would like to wear it on a strap but will order something from Camille Fournet rather than pay £235 for the OEM gator, I am thinking matt gator (small scales) or black barenia. Time to post some of my surplus bits and bobs on SC I think

Craftsman
    That is nice.
    The splash of colour adds to the classic design.

Like it

Dave

Apprentice
    Love the splash of colour in that, absolute beauty.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    After a few PMs trying to extract this from Wayne's grip, I have now ordered one. It should be arriving from Omega in the next couple of weeks, a decent discount allowed me to order a deployant clasp as I would like to wear it on a strap but will order something from Camille Fournet rather than pay £235 for the OEM gator, I am thinking matt gator (small scales) or black barenia. Time to post some of my surplus bits and bobs on SC I think
    Really glad you got one, and I'm also glad you weren't able to tempt me enough! I'm wearing it tomorrow in Amsterdam... the colour around the dial is made even better thanks to the plexi glass!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Really glad you got one, and I'm also glad you weren't able to tempt me enough! I'm wearing it tomorrow in Amsterdam... the colour around the dial is made even better thanks to the plexi glass!
    Since you sold me the 14060 in Nov/Dec 2012, Ive only purchased one watch (a Seiko Pogue from SC) so I am eagerly awaiting it's arrival. Fingers crossed nothing goes pear-shaped; when I enquired in Goldsmiths, they phoned Omega then said that no further orders would be accepted from Wednesday of next week (tomorrow), maybe it's sales guff but I'm not risking it. I already own a vanilla Speedy but like a splash of colour on my watches.

Craftsman
    Watch looks great!

I enjoyed your video thanks, very informative on a watch that I've been investigating as a possible future purchase. I'll be checking out your other videos, especially interested to see that you've done a MKII Kingston/ Black Bay comparison.

I like this and the Japanese edition of the Speedmaster (that looks a little similar), but this Racing model is one of my favourites. Good choice.

A classic with a bit of extra "fun" I like it a lot.

Master
    Beautiful.

Master
    Thanks all. Phil, that does sound like tripe, but if you like the watch and have found a good deal, then I have no doubt you're doing the right thing :-) They will sell out at some point of course so it's better sooner rather than later.

I was looking at the same article I think a few days back looking for speedmaster inspiration! I'm a fan of it, just enough restrained colour. Enjoy!

Really enjoyed the video review, thanks!

Master
    The Regent Street Omega boutique advised me they have one in stock if anyone is looking.

Very nice, only seen a few pics before. Nearly as nice as the Jap model Racing Dial

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    The Regent Street Omega boutique advised me they have one in stock if anyone is looking.
    What is the RRP on this model?

Quote Originally Posted by maxwellwd View Post
    What is the RRP on this model?
    Just under 3K I believe.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I really like that wayne, and im not usually a speedmaster fan. I think the colour lifts the face. Very nicely done.

Master
    That might compliment my Ed White nicely.

There's a handful available I can find with a quick Google.

Craftsman
    I keep coming back to this thread and thinking! Hmmmm.
    Really really nice, probably my favourite modern day speedy.

Master
    It should be too cluttered, but somehow manages to work. Nice photos too Wayne.

Master

Best photos I've ever seen of the TinTin. Have never seen one in the metal and have always been a little unsure about them if I'm honest, but after seeing those pics I've seen the watch in a whole new light. Beautiful and I'm now finding myself dreaming about one.

Journeyman
    they do look interesting. but from some angles it looks rather toyish.

Quote Originally Posted by screenkiller View Post
    they do look interesting. but from some angles it looks rather toyish.
    they do in photos but in the flesh... oh my its a different story.... can't explain it you have to try it on

Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    they do in photos but in the flesh... oh my its a different story.... can't explain it you have to try it on
    Totally agreed. Omega boutique on regents street still have one (as of yesterday) if anyone wants a closer look and are London based.

Master
    Not sure why I am asking this but, does the Tintin have the exact dial fit as the standard pro? I'd love to get one but would be interested in purchasing a standard pro dial as well. I suppose two watches in one.
    Do agree that the wrist shots really bring out the beauty.