closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've got a veggie coming to dinner.

I've got a veggie coming to dinner.

On Saturday, I'm told that I cant just give her a bowl of salad, suggestions please

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    On Saturday, I'm told that I cant just give her a bowl of salad, suggestions please
    I usually do lasagna; normal for me, the same minus the ground beef for the vegetarian.

Are you sure she isn't a vegan? In that case you are on your own I'm afraid!

If you're looking for a recipe to cook yourself, you could do worse than Sweet potato tagine with lemon couscous. The tagine is something I want to serve as an accompaniment to a meat main course so, whatever your veggie guest doesn't have as their main the rest can enjoy as well. Not so sure about the couscous...perhaps you could buy that in for just the one guest? It's a pity there are no pictures on the BBC page. It did look good when he made it and also in the book I have.

It's a medical condition. See your pharmacist.

Blog Entries
    Baked beans on toast.

If you have rabbits, some company for her. LOL

Master
    How about something like Spanakopita, spinach, feta cheese and filo pastry pie, have cooked this a couple of times, a very tasty dish for meat eaters and veggies, plenty of recipes out there but here's one to give you an idea-
    http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/7429/...nach-pie-.aspx

Craftsman
    Quorn. You can get mince and as above make lasagne. It's actually quite nice!

Quorn sausages are OK as well. Sausage and mash? Toad in the hole etc?

If you have a slow cooker you can also make a vegetable stew and add the sausages in there. Doesn't have to be Quorn branded. The Linda Mcartney ones aren't bad either...

Vegetarian pasta bake? Just add some garlic bread or bruschetta and you've got yourself a meal!

Quiche and veg followed by fruit and yoghurt.

Find out if she likes Asian cuisine. If she does, the world is your oyster. Veg bhuna is one of my favourites and I'm not a veggie!

We cured two veggies of their ailment with the food at our wedding by doing a hog-roast.

If you don't want to cure them, then pasta with chestnut mushrooms, some leeks and veggie stock/white wine and touch of cream is very simple to do.

My hot tip for veggie cooking would be to get loads of fresh herbs in there, and then zing it up a bit with something like lemon juice, otherwise it can easily be a bit bland.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by inthered View Post
    How about something like Spanakopita
    http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/7429/...nach-pie-.aspx

Spank a Wot

Your welcome.

I've done this Nigella recipe a few times with vegetarians - it's fairly easy to double-up/split the ingredients into two pans and just do one half with extra vegetables (or do both with extra veg such as potato and cauliflower and just add chicken to one).

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/me...-curry-1250767

Master
    Mexican Bean Burgers. I'm not veggie but they taste great. I order bacon on top sometimes just to confuse waitress in restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    We cured two veggies of their ailment with the food at our wedding by doing a hog-roast.

If you don't want to cure them, then pasta with chestnut mushrooms, some leeks and veggie stock/white wine and touch of cream is very simple to do.

My hot tip for veggie cooking would be to get loads of fresh herbs in there, and then zing it up a bit with something like lemon juice, otherwise it can easily be a bit bland.
    Adding any of the following should also help counter blandness:
    Pancetta
    Anchovies
    Shrimp paste
    Chopped liver
    Etc etc.

Do a big bean stew with onions, garlic, paprika, chilli, thyme, pinch or two of sugar, and 3 tins of pulses (kidney, cannellini and butter beans) all cooked in tomato passata. Easy!

I usually serve it with mashed spuds and steamed savoy cabbage, or if I'm feeling lazy, couscous and crusty bread.

Add a nice bottle (or two) of Rioja to go with it and job's a good 'un

This thread is going very well, my favourite so far is the lasagne with the tagine.

I'm told that slapping half a dead cow on the table and offering the veggie a bowl of carrots and potatoes isn't really acceptable etiquette

Master
    I have been vegetarian for 37 years and was close friends with the Head Tutor of the Vegetarian Society Cookery School, so trust me I have heard ALL the silly jokes and threats of trying to "cure" me.

You may see producing a vegetarian meal as something of a challenge but it is amazingly easy really. Vegetarian food hasn't been bland since 1978 and with a little effort and some imagination you will find mountains of recipes from Mediterranean and Asian sources etc that you will actually enjoy, even as a committed carnivore. Try to avoid cooking something "special" for the vegetarian, whilst you tuck into pork chops etc., it is insulting. :-) Have faith in your abilities!

One place to start >>> http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/c...an-main-course

Mrs mk is a veggie and you can't go wrong with a bit of pasta and a jar of dolmio

Master
    I usually do a kind of coq au vin minus the chicken but use porcini muchrooms and pulses ( chickpeas , kidney beans , lentils work fine too`)

Also a big old macaroni and cheese pasta bake ( use mature cheddar and make a tomato and onion marmalade in the dish before you put the pasta and cheese sauce in.)

And a little bit of mustard into the cheese sauce.

There is rarely any left by the next day.

Master
    Since we're always being told that Quorn etc tastes exactly like the real thing, simply serve them a nice rare rib-eye, they'll never know the difference.

....seriously though - when faced with this I usually do homemade from scratch pizza on a nice thin Italian style base. The vegetarian (yet awesomely tasty) options are almost unlimited. Spinach, artichoke hearts, olives, feta, blue cheese etc etc.

Really all depends on what dan veggie your friends are. One of mine's only restriction is that it can be nothing with a face so the world of egg is opened too.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    Try to avoid cooking something "special" for the vegetarian, whilst you tuck into pork chops etc., it is insulting. :-)
    Why is this?

And OP- I'm not veggie but you can't go wrong with Indian food...assuming,of course,your guest likes Indian food.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Why is this?
    Because it's exclusive rather than inclusive?

Could do a yummy laksa: basically spicy malasian coconut stew. It's absolutely delicious, and you can add in bits of your diseased hormone filled filthy dead animal corpse after you served the vegetarians.
    http://www.donnahay.com.au/recipes/vegetable-laksa
    Last edited by sestrel; 22nd February 2016 at 20:56.

I think the key to getting this right, as has been mentioned a few times, is to cook something vegetarian rather than cook something meaty with the meat left out (perhaps just for one one person) or a meat substitute.

I'm a keen meat eater, but am more than happy to eat vegetarian. My team had an outing a couple of weeks ago to a vegan restaurant and the food was just lovely. And not a vegeburger in sight!

Butter nut squash lasagna. Insanely good.

Pasta with spinach, cream, and mascarpone. Also insanely good. http://www.thekitchn.com/quick-pasta...ers-tagl-73876

I'm not a veggie but I'm a big fan of Spinach & Ricotta Cannelloni. Lots of recipes online.
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5...tta-cannelloni

Tell her that in your house you also have special dietary requirements.

Meat.

A jar of piccalilli and a blind fold perhaps.

I'm lumbered with a veggie wife. Been trying to turn her for years to no avail. Won't even accept 'contaminated' cooking utensils!

Needles to say the fine leather goods she enjoys seem somehow to pass her conscious mind!

Veggie lasagne or chilli with quorn if you have to cook. Otherwise M&S ready meal and claim glory.

^
    That's why I have little regard for veggies. I acknowledge some have deep beliefs in that regard but for the rest, with respect to your good lady, it's just a fad.

Are you planning to sneak in a suet pudding for afters?

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    ^
    That's why I have little regard for veggies. I acknowledge some have deep beliefs in that regard but for the rest, with respect to your good lady, it's just a fad.
    It ls a fad that has been in place since associating lambs gambolling in fields and a Sunday roast! 30+ years a veggie.

Managed to ensure the kids are sound carnivores, the way nature intended!

I have little regard for ignorance and prejudice either. If you feel you must be insulting, take it to the 'pit where it belongs.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Are you planning to sneak in a suet pudding for afters?
    Now we're taking, I wonder

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I'm told that slapping half a dead cow on the table and offering the veggie a bowl of carrots and potatoes isn't really acceptable etiquette
    Sounds ok to me!

Go out Friday with your mates and come home Sunday...........................

Blog Entries
    Just ask does that apply to meat above the waist only?

Master
    Garlic bread, stir fried noodles or rice, samosas, onion bhajis, couscous with roasted veg and feta, halloumi and field mushrooms burgers, veg pizza.

Master
    I'd go with hamburger and tell her it's soy she'll never know.

You might want to find out if she eats fish, I'm always amazed at the number of 'vegetarians' who don't consider a fish to be a living creature.

I assume the lack of meat addles their brains...

M.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    You might want to find out if she eats fish, I'm always amazed at the number of 'vegetarians' who don't consider a fish to be a living creature.
    It made me laugh to read in the last FT Weekend that the artist Mark Quinn describes himself as a vegan, but he eats fish.

Selective faddism, which most people grow out of while still adolescent.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post
    Butter nut squash lasagna. Insanely good.
    I came here to post exactly this. Roast the butternut in slices and layer it within the lasagna sheets. Do everything else like you would for a normal pasta.

I'm as far from a veggie as it gets but can happily eat this non-meat lasagna. At least it's doesn't pretend to be something it's not (I'm looking at you Quorn).

You could try making a Dal (really easy and can flavour to your taste). Cut up some paneer (easy to get from most asian food shops or make yourself it your feeling adventurous) into cubes, lightly fry and pop it in the cooked dal. Great just served with rice and naan or similar.

A nice easy Dal with paneer recipe here

Some great ideas also in the ultimate curry sticky.

On a hopefully light hearted note, I realise it's good sport to poke us poor under-nourished veggies with a stick, but come on chaps, at least come up with some new material. Most of the stuff being trotted out here is older than the ark.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Selective faddism, which most people grow out of while still adolescent.
    As opposed to selective FATism which many carnivores never seem to grow out of

jeff
    Last edited by jeff; 24th February 2016 at 13:50. Reason: Poking carnivore back :)

Master
    I never get this,
    The veggie comes to your house and you have to change your diet to accommodate. (good host and manners, fine)
    But,
    Go round their house and say I choose to eat only meat so I'll expect a full mixed grill, then see what happens, or rather doesn't. You end up eating the same as they do.

Having a BBQ?
    I have an open house once a year, obviously meat based, a couple of friends are veggies, but they bring their own 'pulp-mash / fake-meat' things with them, which my chef gladly cooks for them. No hassle, they understand that it's their choice and they make alternative arrangements without putting anyone else 'out'

Master
    Blog Entries
    Mushroom risotto with asparagus and truffle oil is our go-to recipe if we know a vegetarian is coming for dinner. You can add some seared scallops if you really need to.

There's also a really good recipe about for 3-cheese and spinach lasagne.