closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What car do you wish you still had !?

Austin Healey Sprite Mk2, super low, narrow and nimble; VW Golf GTI Campaign which, after a Scirocco Mk1 felt like it was up on stilts, but of course it wasn't and it went like stink.

Rory

Volvo 340 Redline

Vandalised beyond economic repair by local scumbags.

Every car I've ever owned has been an absolute dog. 1.6 205 GTi, dog, 65 VW saloon, dog, Fiat Uno Turbo, very good fun dog, Alfa GTV (I spent my time regretting not buying a Fiat coupe instead). Best car I ever had was the three months I had in a borrowed tuned up MG Midget. Except in the wet when the back end kept letting go. My dad told me it was all my fault, until he did spun it some time later and decided to investigate and the oil in the diff was wrong and just locked up the rear in corners. Loads of fun, though. I'd have the Midget back before any of the rest.

My current car (330d) is my favourite but of the ones I no longer own I'd choose this. Fantastically reliable, decent performance and a head turner.

Master
    This....

And this.....

Last edited by benny.c; 22nd February 2016 at 00:48.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post

Thats a stunning car

This out of quite a few, is one that I wish i still had.

This was back in the early 90's & the prices were crazy back then & have headed that way again recently.

The picture was taken at Oulton Park if my memory serves me well

Master
    I seem to have bought rubbish examples of a number of cars on this thread, If I'd of bought better ones I might hanker for one of them back.

The one I wish I'd have preserved and improved was a 1968 beach buggy, I swapped it for a vintage rolex and some cash though.

Master
    1968 Midget...

Craftsman
    My first car, 1967 Mustang, 289 notchback. Sold it a few months before I got my license, to buy a 1984 Mustang (in '87). Fairly big mistake.

Not my pic, but it looks just like my last memory of the car.

Craftsman
    M3 CSL for me, such an exciting car to drive. Sold it for £29k to get the deposit on my first house. The ways prices have risen, the chances of me ever owning another one are virtually zero.

Sold her on when the rear arm bearings were going and other things,.... now she would have kept her value nicely

Craftsman
    My Porsche 993 Carrera 2.

Red face Audi S8 - from 1998...

...i.e. 'Ronin' vintage if anyone knows that film. :)

I loved that car. Big 4.2 litre V8, slightly fettled. Upgraded suspension and brakes too.

Grand Master
    Regret selling the Triumph TR6 l owned from 2000 to 2010.

Paul

Life is like a fridge , you only get out what you put in !
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post

I loved that car. Big 4.2 litre V8, slightly fettled. Upgraded suspension and brakes too.
    Great film , great car , great driving !!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post

And Nitrous Oxide injection

All of them.... The Triumph Spitfires, Gt6s, Tr's, Sunbeam Alpines & Tiger, Porsche,
    TVR, and 2 Audi Rs2's....

My first 911 - should have kept that one

Master

Hirsch 9000 #14 of 14

This rapid(ish) luxo-barge

Only 14 made, and I had the last one

Karman Ghia (i sold for £750)
    Jensen Interceptor (i sold for £1700)
    1966 Mustang (i sold for £500)

Porsche 911 (owned for 11 years and did a deal for an Guzzi California Mk1.)

Regrets, i've had a few.... :D

Master
    Wish I'd kept my old Droopsnoot.....I was 19 skint and it was going rusty and drank like a fish....but boy it was fun and the fact I survived meant I learnt how to drive....

I don't think I really wish I'd still got any of the cars that I've sold (The Octavia would be handy for lugging my dive gear around, though, and it was both quick and economical).

Most were fun whilst I owned them, but I don't change cars very often (I've had my current RX8 about 7 years now), so I like to have something different each time.

I guess, if pressed, it would be interesting to see if a Renault 5GT Turbo was really as much fun as it seemed at the time.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 22nd February 2016 at 11:24.

Master
    Mercedes SL. Loved that car, but the costs of ownership were just too high for me!

Master
    My regret was selling a Vauxhall Carlton GSI 3.0 24v in red, it was just a bit to much to handle when I moved into the Yorkshire dales and swapped it for a Mk2 GTI.

Renault 5GT Turbo
    A friend of mine had one and one day while going down the A1 with an huge open box of polystyrene chips stupidly started to open the sun roof, said it was like sitting in a snow globe while hoping to stop without hitting something.
    Last edited by aa388; 22nd February 2016 at 12:42.

Master
    This one. Sold when my first son came along and I started commuting 90 miles per day. 😟

In no particular order, some I've owned, some due to my work I've been lucky enough to use for a few months at a time,

E30 325 Touring,
    Citroën 2CV,
    3.6 manual XJS,
    Volvo P1800ES,
    911 Speedster,
    928 S4,
    Fiat Uno Turbo,
    Golf GTI mk2
    635 CSI
    Z1
    Volvo 850 T5 estate,
    Fiat X19,
    A8 4.2,

There's been many others but non so memorable.

my 2005 Boxster S. My wife and I spent a week driving through Wales in it, great car and I had to get rid of it when child number 2 came along.

Craftsman
    Omg, first car 205 GTI 1.6 though as there was no way I could afford the insurance on a 1.9! I certainly should have kept that for longer! And I loved my Chavalier GSI, but sadly wrote that off when the car decide to go sideways down a hill - it never went sideways, always straight, NOT SIDEWAYS <sob>!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
    My first car, 1967 Mustang, 289 notchback. Sold it a few months before I got my license, to buy a 1984 Mustang (in '87). Fairly big mistake.
    I've always had a soft spot for the fox body Mustang but I can see how swapping a '67 for one was maybe not the best choice

My old Mark 1 MR2. Divides opinions but I love the whats-a-protractor styling.

My old ep3 type R

Cheap cheerful and great fun to drive !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    My Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9...

Every once in a while I go on ebay and Autotrader and think about buying one. But then I worry that it would not live up to my fond memories.
    I regret getting rid of mine despite it trying more than once to kill me! tbh I paid £9K for it and flogged it three years later for £7.5K and I needed the money so I'm not upset with having to sell it. Also the price of the insurance went from under £300 to over £700 in that three years so I really couldn't afford to run it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    This one. Sold when my first son came along and I started commuting 90 miles per day. 

But what a car to drive 90 miles a day in!

I drive 40miles a day in a Panda but I bet 90miles in an Aston would be a lot more fun when you want it to be but also a lot more relaxing if you're feeling that way instead.

Oh I forgot,,
    A Peugeot 205 1.6 GTI that I came as close to death in as I ever want to,
    Overtaking a line of traffic after a day at the coast and with a double decker bus coming towards me the fec##hg rev limiter cut in, to this day I always think of the scene in ''Planes Trains and Automobiles'' where the guys drive between two HGV's .

My 350Z which I lightly modded to my tastes and which was sold to fund my fledgling business...

Quote Originally Posted by Davis View Post
    I seem to have bought rubbish examples of a number of cars on this thread, If I'd of bought better ones I might hanker for one of them back.

The one I wish I'd have preserved and improved was a 1968 beach buggy, I swapped it for a vintage rolex and some cash though.

Brighton?

In the '70's I built a GP beach buggy from a kit.

Great fun!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    I had a 2008 Mini Cooper S Clubman in electric blue with a whole load of options. It was a brilliant little car, a great growl above 4,000 revs and fast enough to scare the shi1t out of me on a few occasions!

Master
    Red Fiat 124 sport coupe MkIII (IIRC) 1.8 twin cam, twin headlights and on the original factory option Cromodora alloy wheels.
    The wheels today would be worth quite a bit I'm sure. Wasn't superfast, but with the straked allow dash brimming with veglia dials, it felt to me like I was driving a Ferrari.

TVR Griffith 500. Photo taken in either 1996 or 1997 whilst heading to Campbell's House below Duncraig Castle, Plockton. Fantastic car and superb noise! Sadly, my then girlfriend you can see in the passenger seat died in 2003.

Last edited by Skier; 22nd May 2016 at 22:14.

BMW E46 M3 CSL

It would be worth more now than what I sold it for in 2006

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    TVR Griffith 500. Photo taken in either 1996 or 1997 whilst heading to Campbell's House below Duncraig Castle, Plockton. Fantastic car and superb noise!

Respect!

My Audi quattro 4WD, red, glued to the road whatever speed. Fortunately sold to an enthusiast

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJK35 View Post
    My Audi quattro 4WD, red, glued to the road whatever speed. Fortunately sold to an enthusiast
    +1

Forgot about mine 20v (RR)

Master
    My first car. An ID 19.

Journeyman
    Regretted letting this go from day one. It's been a couple of years now, and the yearning for another V8, or maybe a V10 is getting to be a real issue!

I was in love with the first brand new car I ever bought: a 1969 VW Beetle, mildly customized, that I bought in the fall of 1968 from Chick Iverson Volkswagen-Porsche of Newport Beach, California. That car drove and handled so well, I would love to have it back.

This is a publicity photo of Chick and a customer, taken several years AFTER I purchased my Beetle.

Journeyman
    OMG....some of the cars that have slipped through the fingers of fellow forum members just makes me cringe.

Quote Originally Posted by moe100 View Post
    OMG....some of the cars that have slipped through the fingers of fellow forum members just makes me cringe.
    So go somewhere else