closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Smiths 8 Day Mantel Clock: Timekeeping

Smiths 8 Day Mantel Clock: Timekeeping

Dear TZ-ers,

I have been infected with the mantel clock bug, albeit not being infected with the money-making abilities needed to give these clocks periodic services

Anyway, the clock in question is a Smiths 8 Day Wind-Up clock, from the mid 20th century, which runs a tad too fast (5 minutes a day). Pushing the "bunny-ear lever" on the back to tighten/loosen the mainspring is to no avail, as the clock still runs fast (not as fast, but still fast). Any ideas? I have with me basic tools, that's about it. Though the clockmaker's shop in Islington is just a stone throw's away. Would be more than delighted to tinker with it myself without having to send it in.

I am assuming I would need to let the mainspring take its course before dismantling the bugger

Craftsman
    Not familiar with that movement. I've taken a couple of clock to pieces and cleaned and reassembled them. Usually not as awkward as a watch as the parts are bigger and the clearances mean visibility is better.

The ones I've worked on had a pendulum, if that one has a balance then it sounds like it needs a clean and reoil.

As you have said above, the mainspring must be let down either manually or by letting it unwind. An 8 day spring holds considerable power. This keeps the clock going long after it should have been serviced but also can cause injury if you dismantle with tension still in the spring.

It has a balance, no pendulum.

Hm the point you just made concerns me greatly. Not too keen on the mainspring flying in my face.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan95 View Post
    It has a balance, no pendulum.

Hm the point you just made concerns me greatly. Not too keen on the mainspring flying in my face.
    I haven't looked at one of these for years but if you clean the hairspring with a soft brush and lighter fuel, then using a fine oiler, (a pin with a spade shaped end) oil all the pivot holes you can see, except the lever, you may improve it's timekeeping.
    You don't need to touch the mainspring.
    Failing that read Donald de Carle's 'Practical Clockmaking'.

Craftsman
    The mainspring comment was just something to be aware of in case of dismantling. You should be able to drop the movement out and see how to let it down.

As Brendan says, cleaning and oiling the balance will likely improve timekeeping, if you intend to wind it regularly, then a full strip down to get rid of all the old oil is probably recommended.

It's a nice looking clock

Grand Master
    I love these old clocks, but I`ve never fancied taking a clock to pieces. I guess they're like watches but much bigger!

Frankly, if I was the OP and I wasn`t sure whether I had the skills to sort it, I`d take it to a clock repairer and pay the money.

Paul

Journeyman

Smiths

Done loads of these, undo the nuts holding the back on, pull the hand setter off and unscrew the winder off & it will all become clear then.

Apprentice

Help with Smiths 8 day clock please

Hi there, I am new to this forum and came to it by searching for Smith mantel clock repairs in Google
    I have acquired the clock in link (hopefully), and although it was over wound what I got it, I am slowly letting it wind down itself by rocking it from side to side.
    It has now been running for about 2 days and keeping good time. I have oiled it using watch oil. So to my question. The face has a small blemish or piece of dirt
    that I want to get off, how do I get the glass off the face to clean it? I can't see any way to release it from the movement, and no obvious way on the face rim. Any ideas please?
    Any help will be greatfully appreciated. Also does anyone know the model and the approximate year of manufacture?
    Thanks again - Steve

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AoOQmnbeMuVHhD6hNiqDwyKU6OB8
    Last edited by Sluigi; 26th May 2017 at 16:40.