closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 1967 Glycine Airman back from service

1967 Glycine Airman back from service

Just got my Glycine Airman Cir. 1967 back from service. The hack wire was missing like on most of these broken by watchmakers through the years who don't know how they work since it's a different type of hacking device. Were a small wire the size of a human hair pops out a hole in the dial between the 24 to stop the second hand to hack. Was lucky to find a watchmaker that could bring the hacking mechanism back to life. Plus it saved me some money a working hacking mechanism doubles the price of these.

You can see the small wire coming out of the hole at the 24 really unique not fund on any other watch.

A little history on this watch a few links
    http://milspectime.com/?p=644
    The military history

https://24hourwatch.org/airman_in_space/
    The space history Pete Conrad a NASA astronaut used it twice on Gemini flights. Of course this is not the watch but cool to know this model was used by the military pilots and astronauts.
    Last edited by River Rat; 15th February 2016 at 16:43.

I do love the Glycine Airman.
    I am glad you managed to get the hack working, the parts are as rare as hens teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I am glad you managed to get the hack working, the parts are as rare as hens teeth.
    If you don't mind sending one to the USA the parts are manufactured mine only needed the wire the hacking lever was still there.
    http://www.nevadawatchrepair.com/gly...man-index.html

Is it only the "Vietnam" era Airmans that have this wire-at-24 hacking mechanism?

I'm wearing my circa 2004 full-lume MLV today and it doesn't have it, and I've not noticed it on my circa 2000 (the year) Airman 2000 (the model), I'm away from home so can't check.

I've only recently discovered Glycine, and I do like them - but on a steep learning curve, as you can probably tell!

Master
    That's a beautiful watch, and it looks great on that strap.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Is it only the "Vietnam" era Airmans that have this wire-at-24 hacking mechanism?

I'm wearing my circa 2004 full-lume MLV today and it doesn't have it, and I've not noticed it on my circa 2000 (the year) Airman 2000 (the model), I'm away from home so can't check.

I've only recently discovered Glycine, and I do like them - but on a steep learning curve, as you can probably tell!
    Only vintage the new stuff don't have it. Also the vintage glycine combat that looked like a issued general purpose watch not like it looks today as a diver.

Journeyman
    Nice watch, and indeed special

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    Only vintage the new stuff don't have it. Also the vintage glycine combat that looked like a issued general purpose watch not like it looks today as a diver.
    The Combat Sub is the dive watch; the name Combat is also given to a huge range of casual and military watches of from 36 to 43mm, which is confusing. Both of these are called "Combats" for example.

...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

The hacking lever sits around the outside of the movement, actually fixed to the movement ring. This is what it looks like

And in action

Very nice. Used to have one of these and am currently looking into getting the re-edition

Blog Entries
    Amazing concept,must be pain in the ass to center this lever.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannop View Post
    The hacking lever sits around the outside of the movement, actually fixed to the movement ring. This is what it looks like

And in action

Funnily enough I am wearing that very watch today
    Keeping great time and looking much better with the relumed hands.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Parts are not quite that rare, as hen's teeth that is. The part that is very difficult to source is the cross-hatched EPSA Compressor crown. Missing hack levers can be made. Hack wires are replaceable, and I have a supply of original style crystals with the correct rectangular date magnifier.

Repairing/replacing the hack device can be expensive, but considering the value added to these collectible watches, it may be money well spent.

Movement parts for both the Felsa and A. Schild movements are generally available, although one may need to search a bit

Jim Sadilek
    www.nevadawatchrepair.com

Awesome watch, looks good on the leather!