closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: varifocal / multifocal contact lenses

Master

varifocal / multifocal contact lenses

I had a eye exam yesterday for the first time in too long, and I'm now on the edge of needing varifocals.

I tend to wear daily disposable contacts around 50% of the time and I wondered if anyone on here wears the multifocal contacts or dispenses them and can give there real world view of them.

TIA

Master
    I tried them and couldn't get used to them so just carried on with daily disposables with reading glasses. Wife tried them having never worn contact lenses in her life and she gets on with them fine.
    I quite often just use one lens in my dominant eye so I can read and see distance.

DavidL is probably the man to talk to.

Master
    You rang?
    Multifocals are odd things. Success depends on how the individual adapts almost as much as having the right prescription.
    Dailies have fewer parameters than monthlies which also makes like difficult.
    The best advice would be to find somewhere you like and go and try them. I tend to order in about 8-10 different options to save time and tell the patient they are going to be in town for a couple of hours and I might see them half a dozen times before they go. Each time you are trying to refine the patient's needs and manage their expectations. If they can read but the distance is a bit blurred then you alter one or both to reflect that but trying not to affect anything else. Then they go home with the best set to try in the real world.
    You may only have a multifocal in one eye to begin with and don't dismiss monovision - one eye for DV and one for NV. Its far more crude (but cheaper) but often works quite well especially in early presbyopes like you.
    Sadly success isn't guaranteed and a pair of cheap readers over the top can be the best solution in the end.

Master
    Thanks for the feedback David.