closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone got a Subc and and Subc date

Anyone got a Subc and and Subc date

Hi
    Thinking about a Subc no date. I already have the Subc date. Has anyone got both. I suspect they will cancel each other out.
    I do like the subs larger case and glide lock in comparison to the GMT and not keen on the new sea dweller
    Thanks
    Andy

What don't you like about the new SDc out of interest ?

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    What don't you like about the new SDc out of interest ?
    Just a personal thing but I don't like the thinner lugs, bezel or additional weight.
    I wish I did as I like the idea of a Sea Dweller

I did own a 114060 and a 116610LV at the same time, and although they were different colours, they were still far too similar for my liking.

What I ended up doing was wearing the black Sub on bond NATO and kept the hulk on bracelet to help make them feel different.

I think two black Subs where the only difference being the date is a step too far.

Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    I did own a 114060 and a 116610LV at the same time, and although they were different colours, they were still far too similar for my liking.

What I ended up doing was wearing the black Sub on bond NATO and kept the hulk on bracelet to help make them feel different.

I think two black Subs where the only difference being the date is a step too far.
    I think you could be right. The Sub date is a keeper so I may have to reconsider

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    Just a personal thing but I don't like the thinner lugs, bezel or additional weight.
    That is a shame as the SD is a perfect 'Sub' IMHO. Date without cyclops, graduated bezel, matt maxi dial - it's got the lot!

It doesn't interest me though, LV or YM for me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I own both!

However for variation (and an excuse) went for the LV Hulk

Also own a black DSSD.

All different enough for me anyhow though ideally would swap DSSD for a Deep Blue DSSD but the upgrade cost is ridiculous

Craftsman
    Hi
    Thinking about a Subc no date. I already have the Subc date. Has anyone got both. I suspect they will cancel each other out.
    I do like the subs larger case and glide lock in comparison to the GMT and not keen on the new sea dweller
    Thanks
    Andy
    I used to own both but sold the date and bought a DSSD. Much prefer the non-date and I don't know why. But I'm very happy with the swap I did and both are keepers.

Craftsman
    I think as a pair, the Sub no date and GMT go well together. You get the simple face of the sub with the Cyclops on the GMT and the extra time zone complication and different bezel. Only downside I see is the polished centre links on the bracelet of the GMT.

I owned both but not at the same time.

IMO there isn't enough difference to have the two.

It would make more sense to have a Hulk and a 114060, or even better a 116610LN and a 14060 or 5513.

Grand Master
    Can't see the point in having two watches which are essentially the same beast!

A Sub is a Sub, the presence/absence of the date and cyclops is a minor detail.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Indeed - the only caveat I'd add is that a vintage and modern pair would make a lot of sense if you want two Subs; a 5513/1680 and then a modern ceramic would work well.

2 modern ceramic Subs, unless in a huge collection, make no sense to me.

Interesting, I'm the complete opposite, I sold my SubC Date as I couldn't get on with the square case/fat lugs and much prefer the tapered case on the pre-ceramic models and the new SDc, which although still thicker than the older models is a huge improvement on the SubC.

I do prefer the bezel on the SubC as the SD4000 one looks too busy with the minute markers, although I really prefer the mat dial on the SD

Both are amazing watches though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Interesting, I'm the complete opposite, I sold my SubC Date as I couldn't get on with the square case/fat lugs and much prefer the tapered case on the pre-ceramic models and the new SDc, which although still thicker than the older models is a huge improvement on the SubC.

I do prefer the bezel on the SubC as the SD4000 one looks too busy with the minute markers, although I really prefer the mat dial on the SD

Both are amazing watches though.
    I guess that's why they make these similar looking watches all slightly different.
    My wife loves the SD
    Andy

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Indeed - the only caveat I'd add is that a vintage and modern pair would make a lot of sense if you want two Subs; a 5513/1680 and then a modern ceramic would work well.

2 modern ceramic Subs, unless in a huge collection, make no sense to me.
    Agreed! Or even a steel sub and a bimetal; the older bimetal with black dial and bezel is one I like.

Personally I prefer the older style cases; although the modern bracelets are a step forward I`d compromise on that to have the slimmer lugs and (IMO) nicer case.

Paul

Blog Entries
    I've gone round in circles with this. At one time having a 114060 and SD40000 and more recently a BLNR in the ceramic range. I also own a 16660 SD from 1986.

I've never owned a black faced submariner date though.

Since that point I have decided to diversify in colour (if not range) so ended up with:

The Hulk - green submariner
    BLNR - GMT blue black
    SD - 16660 Sea Dweller

So I would say also - diversify in age or colour of watch.

M

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Can't see the point in having two watches which are essentially the same beast!

Paul
    What he said. ^^^^^^

I had the LVc and also bought a 114060 n/d ,absolutely loved the LV but could get over the date cyclops,prefer the clean 114060(lv now gone).Strange thing is on my gmtc the date window doesnt bother me ?????????

Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    I had the LVc and also bought a 114060 n/d ,absolutely loved the LV but could get over the date cyclops,prefer the clean 114060(lv now gone).Strange thing is on my gmtc the date window doesnt bother me ?????????
    There doesn't seem to be any logic in this game. I'm going to got for it. Silly as it is I just want to give a no date a go.

Craftsman
    You won't regret it, nor will you find it hard to flip if by chance you don't bond with it. Bought mine cheap without b or p and in condition grade 2 from a smallish German dealer. It would possibly be the last watch I'd ever sell if the rest of the collection had to go, and it's one of the cheapest watches in the boxes.