closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega service/refinish suggestions?

Omega service/refinish suggestions?

Hi all, could anyone suggest where I might get my Omega Speedmaster Broadarrow refinished? I've had it 4 years now and its picked up quite a few scratches/marks. Wouldn't say it needs a service as time keeping is spot on.

When I took it to Finnies in Aberdeen they said I'd have to send it back to Omega as the strap is mirror finish with brush finish and they couldn't match the original finish.

Is there somewhere other than Omega that could tidy up my watch?

Thanks

Swisstimeservices.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    What about David from Scotland Glasgow who just recently open up for refinishing service.... He purely do refinish and could be the Guy for You... j111dja is His Username here.
    Last edited by mjoranga; 10th February 2016 at 22:22.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by gog5 View Post
    Hi all, could anyone suggest where I might get my Omega Speedmaster Broadarrow refinished? I've had it 4 years now and its picked up quite a few scratches/marks. Wouldn't say it needs a service as time keeping is spot on.

When I took it to Finnies in Aberdeen they said I'd have to send it back to Omega as the strap is mirror finish with brush finish and they couldn't match the original finish.

Is there somewhere other than Omega that could tidy up my watch?

Thanks
    Try to find an independent certified who can work on your Omega. Sending it to Swatch group means scratches. At least this is my experience and then trying to fix over next months.
    SwissTimeServices have good opinion. However, you pay postage both ways by yourself.

Grand Master
    J111dja (Dave) has recently posted that he's taking refinishing jobs on. He's got a good reputation and he's probably the best person to send it to.

I`ve given up taking refinishing work on as separate jobs.

Suggest you get in touch with Dave.

Paul

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stateless View Post
    Try to find an independent certified who can work on your Omega.
    Not necessary, there are others out there who can do a great job at a sensible price. Repairers don`t really like refinishing work, it's too time-consuming. Anyone fixing watches on a commercial basis will prefer to make more money from servicing than refinishing .

Paul

STS (Swiss Time Services). They have a lapping machine that will give the watch the correct finish with the sharp edges you can't get properly refinishing by hand.
    "A man of little significance"

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    STS (Swiss Time Services). They have a lapping machine that will give the watch the correct finish with the sharp edges you can't get properly refinishing by hand.
    Depends on the watch. Don`t assume that hand finishing always destroys edges, it doesn`t. A Speedy can be refinished by hand with no problems, it's the big chuky things with sharp angles that really need a lapping machine to get 'em exactly right.

STS are as good as anyone and I`ve no hesitation to recommend them for some jobs, but a recent Speedy with a few scratches probably doesn`t need a lapping machine. Normal Speedys are fairly easy to refinish, it's the Mk11s and suchlike that really need a lapping machine.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Depends on the watch. Don`t assume that hand finishing always destroys edges, it doesn`t. A Speedy can be refinished by hand with no problems, it's the big chuky things with sharp angles that really need a lapping machine to get 'em exactly right.

STS are as good as anyone and I`ve no hesitation to recommend them for some jobs, but a recent Speedy with a few scratches probably doesn`t need a lapping machine. Normal Speedys are fairly easy to refinish, it's the Mk11s and suchlike that really need a lapping machine.

Paul
    Paul is right, although he isn't taking any more refinishing work on he did my speedy a while back with great results. I would try J111jda, it will probably give a much better value option.

Craftsman
    Try Seth at Thewatchdealer , he looks after my watches now , always does things spot on .
    He is in the same town as STS coincidently and recommended on a few other forums .
    Also you could try Robert Reeves Omega and Rolex accredited .

Craftsman
    Duncan at Genesis did my Speedmaster Professional and wife's Speedmaster reduced as well as my Monaco and refinish on my PloProf clasp recently and I'd thoroughly recommend his work.

STS has been mentioned a few times. They refinished a watch for me and I was very pleased with the outcome. The service manager at STS, Simon, is friendly and helpful. Give him a call a go from there.

Great thanks for all the reply's, I'll get in touch with all the suggestions and go from there. Thanks again

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by stateless View Post
    Try to find an independent certified who can work on your Omega. Sending it to Swatch group means scratches. At least this is my experience and then trying to fix over next months.
    SwissTimeServices have good opinion. However, you pay postage both ways by yourself.
    I sure hope this is an exception more than the rule... I've just brought in a speedmaster Mk2 for servicing and insisted they sent it to Switzerland for refinishing rather than doing it in the local Belgian branch... (The speedmaster mk2 has a very specific finish and I assumed the people in Switzerland would be best at recreating it)